Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Tao Jones posted:

I agree with you that Black Mirror works best when it explores human themes, but that's why Entire History of You fell flat for me. He had the intuition that his wife was cheating on him when he saw her at the party, and the rest of the story felt like a standard detective tale. The premise, though, that we all have magic boxes that can show other people the past, undermines the detective aspect -- I felt like anyone in that world who was wrongly accused would lose their temper and angrily replay their history with the person they were accused of cheating with to show their innocence. The opening sequence with the job interview suggests that these kind of "ethical reviews" are common enough, at least that a business and airport security can ask for them and not be objected to, so I don't think privacy concerns were much of a thing in this world. So it was an interesting bit of world-building, but as a human drama it didn't work for me.

e: Thinking about it, I feel a bit the same about White Bear. It was a good horror story, but the voyeuristic aspect of it doesn't seem like something real people would do.

That's the point, if you could prove things all the time wouldn't you feel that you had too? Imagine what that would do to relationships. And as for Whit Bear are you from the UK? If you are you need to read the tabloids more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU