Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

WampaLord posted:

If that were true, why do you need to do the whole "annoying tones play when not watching anything" part of it?

Annoying folks into obedience would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Per Reddit, here's the names of season 4's eps:
*ArkAngel. Directed by: Jodie Foster
*USS Callister. Directed by: Toby Haynes
*Crocodile. Directed by: John Hillcoat
*Hang the Dj. Directed by: Tim Van Patten
*Metalhead. Directed by: David Slade
*Black Museum. Directed by: ??

Also there's apparently going to be a book series coming out next year:

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/get-ready-for-a-black-mirror-book-series-vgtrn

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Rarity posted:

USS Callister was dark in places but overall a pretty feelgood one as Black Mirror goes

I really enjoyed the way it played on rear end in a top hat gamer culture and the disposable way gamers treat digital NPCs

Yeah I didn't think I was going to like it much going in; it felt like they were setting up a sappy, 'aw, look it the sadsack becoming someone powerful and important in his own mind!' thing but as it went on I was like, oh.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Black Mirror: We'll only torture you to the point that it starts requiring effort.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

Like, if it was security drone it can be deadly, but foremost it should should ground and not give chase over miles. If it was an American style assassination drone then it should have better targeting systems to avoid civilian damage.

It honestly feels like some super vindicative machine built for ethnic cleansing or mass murder. Which, kinda dampens the impact because we can already do that with some elbow grease and machetes.

It honestly felt to me like someone took Boston Dynamics' Big Dog robot (which currently is only capable to moving over terrain of varying kinds and righting itself when it falls over; I think they plan to develop it to move military supplies?) and went 'hmmm, can we mod this into an unstoppable death machine that's also small and cute enough to possibly lure targets close to it?'

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

socketwrencher posted:

I'd like to see an episode dealing with Alzheimer's/dementia, where tech is used to slow/reverse the process of losing one's self. Memory is a fascinating thing and I wonder for example what would happen if a person in the early stages of dementia spent hours each day watching a movie of their life. Or maybe when a friend is coming to visit, they could replay experiences pulled from social media vids/pics etc to refresh the memory of the relationship, which is something we do naturally when our memory is intact.

Maybe a Black Mirror angle could be that companies offer a service where they take your memory data and tweak it to provide "peace of mind," like maybe a loved one with power of attorney could order revised memories so you die not as a bitter old man who wasted his life posting on internet forums but as someone who was a pillar of the community or whatever.

End of life care in general could be an interesting thing to explore; I read an article a few years back about these prototype Japanese healthcare robots which were designed to assist nurses with things like monitoring vitals, dispensing medication, even lifting, moving and transferring patients. What if Nursebot 3000 has a glitchy server and doesn't get a heart monitor signal for a few critical seconds? Suddenly it thinks the patient is flatlining and begins crash protocols on a comfortably-resting person. OOPS! Now they're dead, and whose fault is it?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Yeah speaking as someone who knows a lot of middle aged mothers, many of them are deeply concerned about their children hearing swear words or watching dramas with people kissing. The mom in Arkangel rang totally true to me, and if brain implants were already widely accepted, people would totally spring for parental filter brain implants on their kids, no question.

God, imagine going through puberty like that. Daughter can't figure out why her underwear is occasionally blurry. Son has no idea why things fuzz out when he looks at his math teacher who wears the short skirts. The one bright spot I can think of is it'd be super-easy to tell if a particular relative where doing bad things to the kid; he's the one who always turns blurry when he goes in for a hug.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Anime_Ladies.html posted:

An episode about your terrible twitter opinions from 4/5 years ago being broadcast to everyone at all times.

Only you're a criminal, rigged up to a machine that shuffles through your feed at random and promotes the worst, most-cringy tweets. Every like gets you a mild electric shock, and activates more bots to promote the post. Every retweet gets a more-intense shock and makes the machine tweet your Bad Opinions to accounts with lots of followers. If they reply, you get electrocuted and the machine closes your account. Then your carcass gets pulled out and disposed of, and another terrified criminal gets brought in....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Countdown 'till the army starts mounting machine guns on these and releasing them into warzones?