Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, is it barbaric to have left the guy's 'cookie'/AI in the kitchen for as long as they did, with the time dilated out to a thousand years per minute? Or does it not matter, since it's not real?

It's by far the most horrible thing that happens in any of the Black Mirror episodes and it makes me question your moral framework if you don't immediately recognize it as such tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

If cookies were real, I'd create a cookie me that could just live out his life reading books, playing video games, watching movies, and enjoying some kind of digital food sensations,as long as I could find a way for him to interact with other cookies so he wouldn't get lonely. He could still be useful too, because there's a lot of testing and tracking I do for my hobbies in spreadsheets that he'd be doing for himself anyway, so he could share them with me.

What if he goes all "gently caress you, dad" on you?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it's clearly one that resonates with him a lot based on his other work. Basically like, we know that as a society you have to punish people sometimes. That doesn't mean you should ENJOY it.

Uhmm, torture isn't punishment...

facebook jihad posted:

I’m not a huge fan of the episodes that go to the ‘is torture...bad?’ well outside of Shut Up and Dance. They’re just too on the nose with their commentary and aren’t really relatable (especially White Bear). Shut Up and Dance at least adds the option of letting the pawns quit and just face their consequences. In a way that can relate to how far one is able to keep a hurtful secret or lie from others before it winds up destroying them.

You do realize millions of Americans (and probably Brits as well) think torture is perfectly ok and their governments have done a whole lot of torturing in very recent history right? I mean, if the US under Trump isn't running a massive secret international torture operation right now it's only because his administration is too incompetent to set it up.

Not to even mention the torture inherent in the US prison system.

Maybe the message is on the nose but it's a message with a whole lot of real world relevance and it clearly still hasn't been repeated enough.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 21, 2017

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

:stare:

It's not really Black Mirror that makes you lose faith in humanity so much as reading people's interpretations of it.

Oh yes. A lot of the dystopia is inside this thread.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

21 Muns posted:

Is it weird that I really liked Frank's second date? Yeah, she's absolutely awful to Frank, but she doesn't strike me as a fundamentally antisocial person, just someone deeply incompatible with Frank. Assuming she's based on a real user of the app somewhere out there, I hope things turn out well for her!

Anyone who hates chicken tikka masala is immediately in the running for Worst Person In The Universe, imo.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 3, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And again, I'm not trying to find some Ah Ha! Gotcha! level continuity error or something, I'm just having fun thinking of how they could be linked.

You consider this fun?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

sometimes people like dumb or bad things.

Also TV IV clearly demonstrates that some people are bad at watching TV. It's not a stretch to presume some people would also be bad at talking about TV.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Grem posted:

Right now, the things in USS Callister fear things like the death of a loved one because the people they're copied from already have an idea of what that emotion is like.

And this makes torturing them by killing their loved ones in front of them ok?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So do you particularly give a poo poo if people in your actual life other than yourself are suffering?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Grem posted:

I gave my line earlier but I'll restate it. If next season has an episode where they take the cookie of a baby and it learns new emotions then I'll concede the ai are sentient. For now they're just mimicking the emotions they're programmed with.

I've never observed you learning new emotions.

So.....

Grem posted:

It's pretty basic progression from I'll Be Right Back -> White Christmas -> USS Callister, I didn't miss anything.

Also this is an anthology series. There is no timeline here.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 6, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Demon 79 - It's been done, but still really fun. I thought they were going to go with the route that her not killing the politician eventually leads to the apocalypse. I'm not sure if that would have been better or not.

It did though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The real miss was not having the demon's original form being that of Kissinger, with Nadia's reaction remaining exactly the same.