Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Lightning quick reviews:

1. I couldn't stop thinking about MeowMeowBeenz but this episode was pretty good anyway and the ending cathartic as hell. However, the brother really needs to work on his American accent.

2. Christ this episode. I was really into it until the end where the dream within a dream came off like a bad Inception parody and totally drained the episode of any dramatic integrity. I couldn't take it seriously anymore.

3. By far my favorite. This is Black Mirror at its best. It channels the same energy as White Bear but I think it's significantly better paced and delivered a much better gutpunch as a result.

4. While I acknowledge its evident quality, it didn't grab me and I found myself bored while watching it. I thought the most intriguing part of the world - that people who have passed over eventually succumb to hedonism, debauchery, and sadomasochism at the Quagmire to stave off the boredom of eternity - could have been explored more. I realize that the episode wanted a more optimistic tone, but that seems like such a great concept for techno-horror.

5. Unoriginal and uninspired. The "they look like monsters to you?" twist is so played out that to pull it off now a days you need to do something exceptional to make it interesting and this episode wasn't it.

6. No matter how dumb the bees are, I'd watch detective Kelly Macdonald all day. This episode also struck upon what I always find the most interesting part of stories set in the near-present where a cabal of politicians and government officials try to reckon with the extraordinary circumstances they face with the realistic tools at there disposal. I've always thought a show that was basically just "how would a government respond to [insert extraordinary threat of the week] while trying to a. Minimize the damage, b. Maintain power, c. Defend its interests, and d. If there's time, protect the public" would be really good. The chancellor ordering the leak of the pederast Lord's old skeletons even though they're completely irrelevant in order to draw attention away from himself was great.

Overall: 341652.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Durzel posted:

The only bit where the conceit falls down I guess is that them releasing the video is a a bit of a hollow threat. For starters the video they would have of the guy is him jerking off facing the lens. You wouldn't see on the video what he was watching. You could right now splice a video of someone jacking off on camera to anything you wanted and claim that's what they were watching, but there would be no proof of that, therefore it would be ineffectual as a threat. Likewise he could just completely wipe or destroy his laptop and any evidence they claim they have, even if downloaded from it, would no longer correspond to what was actually on there. The threat only works really if his laptop has already been seized by them and is being held to ransom.
[/spoiler]

I don't pretend to know how computers work but when Kenny is in the car with Bronn and Bronn is explaining what they have on him, he says they sucked up his entire hard drive like an audit. Kenny begins to breakdown when he hears this so I think we're supposed to assume that he had downloaded cp, which is also why he's so angry when his sister takes his laptop. I think if a bunch of cp got leaked alongside a video of him wanking and presumably other personal stuff on his computer like photos, homework, or whatever, then that's enough to convince anyone.

Besides that, it is usually accurate that, even without any firm evidence, just the accusation of being a pedophile is enough to ruin someone's life forever. Even if he wasn't guilty, being a weird unpopular kid with that hanging over him means he's doomed.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, Cooper was fine. He didn't deserve the fate that befell him (but that's Black Mirror, I guess).

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I wonder if there will be an episode that is "what if Netflix but too much"

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Playtest is probaly the meanest. At least in White Bear and SUAD the show is commenting on nuanced topics like justice vs. vengeance, the nature of evil, and the concept of "acceptable targets". The ending of Playtest is just a lovely thing happening to a normal person for no reason.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not saying it was the most hardhitting ending, nor even good one. I'm saying the ending of Playtest was the most pointlessly cruel. It's like saying The Human Centipede's ending was meaner than Se7en's. Se7en has a great ending that is bleak and vicious, but Human Centipede ends with a girl whose mouth is a stapled to a dead guy's rear end in a top hat.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

His flaw was being greedy, because that's what got him killed. Him avoiding his mum's calls wasn't the issue because she - or anyone else really - could have called him anyway. That's why the second twist is so lame: what decided his fate was leaving his phone on after sneaking the photo, not any of the character stuff that they'd spent an episode developing. The only lesson to be taken from Playtest is that "when someone tells you to turn off your electronic devices you... should". Either that or "don't commit corporate espionage".

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

zeldadude posted:

What reasons do people have for not liking 15 million merits?

I like the episode a lot but one real criticism is it's a too long. It's over an hour and I don't think it needs to be. You could shave probably 15 minutes off its runtime without losing anything.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

cosmically_cosmic posted:

:golfclap:

The moral to The Waldo Moment is that sometimes you should end an episode a few minutes earlier and cut off the part that makes your twist silly.

See also: Playtest.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 5, 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

If you have the time and care enough, the best way to watch is to never make a choice. It will just play everything in order and you see all permetations of the story.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, Colin was definitely my favorite. Which is weird, since I've always been irrationally annoyed at Will Poulter's face for some reason.

It's cause he looks like he fell in a wasp's nest and his face got stung a bunch.

Talented fella though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Propaniac posted:

I'm confused about the references to choosing for Stefan to take the meds; the choices we saw were to flush them or throw them away, and we threw them away. I'm guessing this is due to other choices we had made, but it seems odd.

It's determined by whether you go through the path where you take LSD with Colin. If you have, you will get a flashback to the scene where Colin says the government use drugs to control people and you won't get the option to take the pills.