Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just finished Series 4. It had its moments and a couple of standout episodes, but it definitely seems like they're running out of ideas.

USS Callister: Good poo poo, loved the setting and direction. As a goon, I am very concerned with this episode's portrayal of socially awkward nerds.
Arkangel: Episode was solid, ending was a bit poo poo. Would have been better if they'd stuck with one of the two obvious conclusions instead of kinda going down the middle.
Crocodile: I thought it was the weakest episode, but I loved the 90 pound lady being some kind of super ninja with a penchant for stealth kills and killing guys three times her size with her bare hands.
Hang the DJ: I liked the leads well enough, but the framework was weak as hell. Coach is my favorite series villain, though.
Metalhead: Definitely the most different episode. I liked the contrast between the artsy noir direction and the adorable dog terminator. It could have done with even less dialogue.
Black Museum: What if White Christmas, but instead of being bright and cheerful, the atmosphere is dark and oppressive? It wasn't bad or anything, but it really didn't need to hit all the same plot beats as a previous episode in a less creative way. Bonus shout out to Jack for being the dumbest fucker on the planet.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
USS Callister does have kind of a "and then what?" ending. The AI clones get to truck along happily in cyberspace, sure, but what happened to the real life Your Mother? She's never gonna get any closure on her cloud hacker, and the apartment she was blackmailed into breaking in to ended up with a guy dead from frybrains. She is gonna think she murdered a dude who, to her knowledge, never wronged her, and probably there will be forensic evidence in his apartment that tells the same story.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dunno if bad is the right word, but it certainly felt a lot less original than the previous series. Metalhead and USS Callister were the only episodes that felt experimental, and Black Museum and Hang the DJ were basically rehashes of previous episodes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm still not sure how to feel about this episode. It ended up being a very linear story, even if it was told in a non-linear fashion, which is fine, but it also couldn't commit between "Stefan is delusionally paranoid and you're just watching his scattered perception of the world until he eventually snaps and starts murdering people" and "Stefan is literally a dude trapped in a CYOA story and you, the viewer, are the monster behind his suffering and responsible for his actions," but it also didn't feel like a deliberate ambiguity.

It makes the rest of the series seem really straightforward and unambiguous, which is not something I ever thought I'd say about Black Mirror.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Griefor posted:

I found it to be pretty deliberate and unambiguous in the ending where [murder dad] [don't murder dad] was replaced with [murder dad with knife] [murder dad with axe] and he ends up talking on the show about how he's giving players of his game the illusion of choice but deciding what's going to happen himself. But I think that's not so much different interpretation as it is us just seeing stuff in a different sequence. It's harder to get a consistent tone across if you're keeping it interactive like this, even with the heavily controlled interactivity this episode has.

That's a fair interpretation. I never had that choice replaced, since I went from the first dad murder to the PAC ending where he kills his dad without any input, and then got the rabbit ending. I'll buy your version; it makes for a better story.