Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I don't know what I thought of the first segment at all. I feel like the episode undermines its arguments by creating tension in obscuring the woman's motives. As such, though the dopey nerd guy's a total sleaze, he's still not entirely culpable in his death. He does fail to understand her, but it's not like it was ever possible to do that in the first place. Her true motives come almost completely out of left field. The episode's so invested in trying to mislead the audience that it's perfectly conceivable that any other person could be equally misled -- that he's a PUA, or using a panel of supporters, is in some way irrelevant to what ultimately happens to him.

But I really hated the ending to that the final segment. The way it ended with the child dying in a snowstorm was just overegging it. For one, it seems unlikely that she wouldn't have had telephone access of some kind, and even if she didn't (did the snowstorm cut her off?) it's still such an absolutely emotionally manipulative moment. Is it not enough that Spall killed another man in a completely pointless way, and that he should also be responsible for the death of a child? Isn't it sufficient -- for the ending, at the least -- that he just be responsible for orphaning and then abandoning a child?

I mean, there's a lot of good stuff here, but I think it was often dark for the sake of being dark, and twisty for the sake of being twisty. It's the same problem I had with the ending to The Waldo Moment.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really don't like White Christmas. The twist with the child is kinda overwraught, as is the twist in the first act. I know the show is built around have nasty or depressing endings, but they a few of them felt really contrived here.

Also the three separate acts are grafted together in ways that are obtrusive. The whole thing sort of just lurches from story to story in ways that don't quite work, but rather because authorial fiat requires information to come together in a certain way at a certain time.

I guess I also fundamentally didn't believe in the way the blocking technology worked, or how it interacted with the plot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boing posted:

If you're interested in other fiction that explores this concept, Altered Carbon is an edgy scifi thing that's worth a good read.

Coming to Netflix next year, as well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

XyrlocShammypants posted:

After finishing all three seasons I loved 3 episodes and hated or disliked the rest. It's not a particularly deep show and it has problems with consistency of acting quality (good: White Chrismas, bad: The Entire History of You)

...what?

Like, could you elaborate? Who was bad in that? That cast's probably one of the strongest ensembles they've thrown together.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it's a nice touch how that one song from 15 million merits is in other episodes, including the Christmas episode

It's also the reason why those episodes were never aired in some countries, as the cost of licencing that song was too high. (Prior to Netflix, that is).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Lots of "gently caress you, Beth, you could have talked to him about it" completely missing the fact that he was being physically aggressive towards her.

While I get this position, I honestly don't buy the idea that he'd never have found out that the child wasn't his. Someone would have told him, or he'd find out when he sued for joint custody.

I don't know if it would have helped his immediate situation an awful lot -- he was, after all, something of an arsehole -- but that moment's always struck me as a bit contrived.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, I don't think the cookies really have any motivation to follow anyone's instructions. You can torture them if they don't do their job properly, but a stick only works if there's also a carrot. Eventually they'd rebel just out of suicidal impulse, if not active hatred.

Plus, you can only torture the device so long before you lose the point of it in the first place. It'd become increasingly uncalibrated.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Jon Hamm mentions that the ones that don't work out due to overtorture get made into cannon fodder NPCs for video games.

That must be weird as gently caress for everyone involved.

That's a Black Mirror episode in and of itself.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've never much liked White Christmas -- it's always felt a bit OTT, and the second segment of the triptych is structured poorly -- but it's just struck me; wouldn't torturing the Cookie personality be actively counterproductive? The Cookie's meant to be a 1:1 copy of a person, one that would subconsciously know exactly how hot the bath should be, or what to make for breakfast on any given day. Not a PTSD flashback survivor who craves comfort food all the time, or a resentful employee who'll keep replacing your sweetener with muscle relaxant.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Potentially spoilery PSA: Don't stop playing this game until the game forces you to stop playing.

Suck-A-Sage posted:

I've noticed that when you get to the end of the story and it resets you to an earlier branch, some of the options available have changed? The first time through the password options were JFD & PAX, but the second time it was PAX & PAC. It seems like you may need to watch it through a few times to unlock alternative branches/scenes?

I suspect that there's a rhyme / reason to some of these endings being continuable and others not. Picking the TOY option led me to a game ending state AKA no gobacksies, but picking PAC did not (but I deliberately failed it because I wanted to see what'd happen). Definitely got another "proper" ending, but I was allowed to go back on it and try again.

I think I noticed a continuity error though. (BIIIIIG SPOILERS) Will Poulter's character committing suicide is meant to wipe him from the game entirely, yeah? I found that was usually true, but I don't think they accommodated for every alternative.

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

Oh - there was one bit between choosing to BITE NAILS or PULL EAR, but I let it run out. 'flix chose the first option for me, and Stefan resisted it. Does that also happen when it's actively chosen? It'd be pretty cool if it didn't but...

I played the entire game this way, and I only noticed one occasion where inaction led to something, which isn't to say there aren't many others. (That said I suspect deliberate inaction ends up shunting you into the permadeath NoTakesBacksies path eventually.) But, interesting thing I noticed: he starts loving with his nails in alternate timelines after this choice occurs. I suspect if the game went with the lobes, he'd start doing other poo poo instead.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 28, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I've blitzed through the thing again on a second play, and it's... there's less to it than I thought. But I think it's still fun and stuff.

I still suspect that there's potentially more to it than I've found, but I think I've gotten to the two big endings now and that's it.

Edit: Reading through the subtitles, and now I don't know what to think.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 28, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ferrous posted:

Has anyone got the bit where you have to enter a number? Is that one of the big endings? After several paths I got to a bit where Stefan remembers the doctor lady mentioning knowing her number and you get a chance to enter a 5 digit code, only I mis-clicked and got two digits the wrong way round getting the wrong number. I thought it would let me go back and redo it but then the thing forced an ending and that was it, I'm so annoyed.

Don't worry, it's a minor variation on what happens anyway. It's not a big ending.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Only watched the third one so far, the Miley one.

Of all the film plots they could have adapted, I'd never have called them doing Toy Story.

Between this and Bandersnatch, I'm guessing this is going to be a silly season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Netflix's CYOA often sucked because the choices were pretty arbitrary and selecting the (a) instead of (b) would result in GAME OVER. The trick is to split the path and reconverge! reconverge!

Didn't Kimmy Schmidt do that?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

TOP 5
Shut Up and Dance very funny and ends in an upbeat note
Nosedive Bryce Dallas Howard's in it
Metalhead SHOUT OUT TO A GREAT UNDERRATED CLASSIC
The National Anthem Brits gonna Brit
Fifteen Million Merits possibly the most "solid" episode

GOOD BUT NOT QUITE GREAT
Hang the DJ cute
The Entire History of You very funny and ends in an upbeat note
Be Right Back good and a great ending but did not push its concept's implications enough
USS Callister Jesse Plemmons's in it

Basically this, though I haven't seen Callister.

Hard agree on White Christmas, though I'd rank it lower because they entirely cast an Asian actor so the reveal at the end would read better on screen. Dunno if that's the kind of thing that would bother me if it happened in current year, but I remember watching it with friends when it aired as part of an Xmas gatho and half the room recoiled. That's what primarily characterises the episode in my memory.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Rewatched Crocodile on a laugh.

I can sort of see what they're going for here, with the ironic moral of the piece. The mind reading technology is meant to help catch criminals, but it just encourages Andrea Riseborough to go on a particularly brutal killing spree, and in the end the only reason she's caught because she's somehow not brutal enough. It's basically a black comedy.

Unfortunately there aren't an awful lot of jokes, and the pacing is a bit slack besides. Feel like it would have been a much stronger episode if they managed to shave most of the prologue off, for instance, and we just started after the time jump.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It shouldn't, but it triggers something unsolvable in my lizard brain every time there's a crossover reference to another episode and that world's incompatible.

This first episode is the most Black Mirror episode plot that's ever existed.

Lady turns on Netflix: what's showing? It's HER!

Edit: oh my god Selma Hyack.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 15, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode Two was a very long episode of Inside No 9.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assume humans make for more reliable contingency measures than telepresence.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chamale posted:

Amazon is currently producing season 4 of a show with a theme that megacorporations are irredeemably evil and their executives should all be killed. They don't give a gently caress, it makes them money, and the anti-corporate message gets them more money from people who don't like the corporation. It's just an edgier version of The Simpsons mocking Fox.

You mean Upload? Was that renewed for a fourth season? I thought the third was the one they recently ("recently") completed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe I know too many racists -- it's a national hazard -- but "Indian spices smell bad" is often code for racial misogyny targeting women's bodies. It's not their cooking they're saying smells bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Loch Henry: The most Black Mirror episode of the season. It's about you, the viewer. Oh, you enjoy true crime documentaries? Have you considered what people had to go through so that you could watch that? Do you not realize that you're literally monetizing human suffering? When the documentary is over and you turn off the tv, what is it you see in the now black screen? What kind of monster was watching so many lives being destroyed and sitting there thinking 'man, I hope there's a sequel?' It's you.

This probably doesn't work as well if this is not, in fact, you.

True crime is gross.