Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Perfect antidote to the shallow christmas cheer radiating from everything. The dissonance between the ad breaks and the content of the show was wonderfully bipolar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Bing is Charlie Brooker. Bottled outrage, £5 a pop. Buy my new book about how everything's poo poo.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I'm maybe being overcautious with spoiler tags but anyway...

Nosedive was pretty on-the-nose but I think it nails the cloying superficiality and positivity of social media interactions really well, along with the sort of passive-aggressive and exhibitionist jockeying that goes with it. San Junipero is just beautiful; everything about it was just pitch perfect and the uneasy fakeness and rose-tinted nostalgia which initially made me groan about the 80s setting resolved itself nicely once the twist was revealed and let me enjoy beautiful visuals and story without reservation. Shut Up and Dance was really well put together in terms of how the tension and peril escalates throughout even though you might think the stakes are quite low for the protagonist, which then allows it to really gutpunch you at the end when you find out the real reason he's so anxious about it all. Men Against Fire's twist felt telegraphed from the outset and I kept expecting it to subvert it at some point, but it stands up okay for me if only because I agree the gently caress out of what it was trying to say. I've only just started watching episode 6, but it occurs to me that I would be totally down for a Cranky Detective Kelly MacDonald Investigates spinoff show. Playtest was a good concept executed reasonably well, but next to the others it kind of fades away into the background. I do like how it established the protagonist's fears without being too heavyhanded in its foreshadowing and how it did that very Twilight Zone thing of giving the feeling of waking up from one nightmare into another towards the end.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I thought the thread title and easter egg were both in reference to this tweet made last year

https://twitter.com/mallelis/status/556560153307148288

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I've never thought of the show as intended to be prophetic or cautionary morality play so much as inspired by current trends in technology and how they could potentially go awry. Playtest's concept is maybe a bit tried-and-tested by now regardless, but I reckon it's just following the trajectory of trends in contemporary video game development to their logical endpoint rather than prescribing or preaching to the viewer.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

Like, if it was security drone it can be deadly, but foremost it should should ground and not give chase over miles. If it was an American style assassination drone then it should have better targeting systems to avoid civilian damage.

It honestly feels like some super vindicative machine built for ethnic cleansing or mass murder.

Oh wow, I somehow didn't know this post existed.

Ahahahahahahaha

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Reckon Charlie Brooker, or whoever else it was that wrote Metalhead, read that Peter Frase book from Jacobin about how one of our potential future dystopias is the literal mechanised slaughter of the global proletariat. And that'll be what got your communist aunt Maxine Peake interested in doing it in the first place and that's why it's a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

It's a good episode is what I'm saying.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Maybe the dogs have glitched into full-blown berserker machines bent on extinguishing all life on the planet.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Fututor Magnus posted:

heard a theory that the uss callister ending of them escaping to eve online and getting blasted by jesse pinkman is literally a universe cross of black mirror and breaking bad, and that jesse spends his post-heisenberg days blasting fools as king of space.

this is canon now imo

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

To be fair they do say they're not solely there for the macguffin at the start, they're planning to pick up other supplies like batteries and medicine and that while they're at it iirc

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I found crocodile to be one of the strongest episodes, purely because the tech angle was such a marginal part of it, but the bleakest part, the infanticide, only came about because of that very marginal tech angle.

Purest-strain black mirror of the whole thing, with metalhead coming close second. Feel like people are getting far too invested in sci-fi worldbuilding and not enough into the actual humanistic part of the show imo.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

That sort of twisting the knife is part of the show's homage to things like the twilight zone, though.

Like, if you don't like that part of it, why are you watching it? Do you know what it is?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

If you're watching Black Mirror, a TV show that proudly declares its roots to be in shows like the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits and expecting to be Genuinely Clever then I think that's on you.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

The dumbest part is that the baby never even saw her. Even if the baby wasn't blind, she never went into its room, and the baby probably never even heard her voice. If she was going to kill the baby anyway, all she had to do was just never go into its room and just leave the house. Then they would never have known it was her.

right but she would've had that nagging doubt otherwise, like an actual human being would. also the guinea pig saw her, so i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

yeah but if you've just killed two people why the hell would you be in a rational state of mind