Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Matinee posted:

There seems to be some weird Easter Egg thing going on. The song from 15 Million Merits, one of the pickup club had the screen-name I_AM_WALDO, and I might be crazy, but wasn't Hamm's wife the female lead from The Entire History Of You?

The woman from White Bear was in the news report having her appeal denied. Merry Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I thought the point of the end of 15MM was he went onto TV and had a genuine display of emotion and it got treated as just another fake bit of entertainment. In the end he's giving a second speech to camera, but right after the cameras go off he just puts the glass shard away. His real anger has been processed and now it's fake and played up for the TV, everything he hated about it all in the first place.

I mean you could say it's a happy ending because he isn't riding a bike anymore, but that'd be kind of missing the point.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Watched two so far, loved Nosedive and Playtest was a bit wank.

Though I should probably call my Mom now.

Fans fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 21, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I honestly think Playtest is going to be one of those episodes that you think is poo poo now but after you've digested it and maybe watched it again you will like it. There is a lot of subtle stuff in it I didn't pick up first time around I feel like.

The ultimate twist is basically Turn your phone off on a plane when asked please it's a bit silly. It feels like it was making fun of Black Mirror's nature for twists more than anything.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Jesus gently caress, Shup Up and Dance could you be any more bleak. I didn't see the fact It was pretty much White Bear all over, but with vigilantes this time right until the end so more fool me.

Fans fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 22, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Brooker's in an interview saying he just wanted Playtest to be a fun Haunted House spooky story with no bigger message like the rest. Well, beyond the major one VIDEOGAMES

Just finished up, I quite liked Men against Fire and while Hated in the Nation was a nice enough cop drama it's story is basically solved half an hour in so it's a bit of a waste of time.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

im gay posted:

I'm not familiar with UK's government, who were the people hearing the testimony supposed to be? All the dudes were knighted.

I'd say it's MI5 as they're in suits and not anything a Judge would wear, the higher ups do tend to be Knighted in MI5.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

I am okay with this.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zenithe posted:

Junipero cats best cats.

Men Against Fire what was the deal with the weird fake wife pre-programmed sex dreams? I assumed that giving them a partner was part of the conditioning, but it seemed weirdly specific that Stamper can order certain dreams on demand for their soldiers.

Also I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having all of the exposition done in a featureless room at the end.

It's a reward for killing. One of the women is envious of him for getting two kills because he's going to get the good dreams.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

WE B Boo-ourgeois posted:

In Hated in the Nation, the bees kill everyone who used the hashtag right? Including the people who used it to say it was sick and wrong?

It'd make sense it only got people who included the photo.

I don't get why the chancellor didn't just fly out to France for the day. Or wear a crash helmet so they can't see his face

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm not entirely sure why anyone expects Black Mirror to be subtle. It started with a Prime Minister being pressured into loving a pig. Subtlety has never really been its thing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zenithe posted:

But Waldo didn't win :ohdear:

In the U.K. Then they took it to America and it worked gangbusters

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
San Junipero is just the tech from White Christmas, but in a non-horrifying way

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It'd be like arguing the Twilight Zone isn't realistic. Yeah no poo poo it's not meant to be

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Bicyclops posted:

I think the idea that the "transfer" might not include continuity and might instead be "the death of a person, but a copy continues" adds some interesting aspects to the dilemmas the characters face, rather than subtracting from the ideas that can be explored.

Isn’t that the whole point of the ending? They reason they end up together is because the Kelly with a husband dies and the Copy is free to go on with Yorkie. She got to do both.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I mean it’s still a happy ending even if it is a copy surely? She’s happy with both decisions.

Otherwise it’s an ending where she says she wants to die and then just changes her mind and doesn’t off screen and that just feels like it was wasting our time.

Fans fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 31, 2017

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Supercar Gautier posted:

This is the exact attitude the episode confronts. How the ability to push people out of sight gives way to a disproportionately punitive and dehumanizing society. Whatever, he's a bad guy and also a simulation, let's put him in the infinite punishment hole for a million years. Whatever, he's a sex creep, we can just let him get beaten on the street and starve and never even have to look at it happening. Yes, these men deserved to face some form of justice, but it's the casual and staggering severity of the punishment that stands out.

And it's really only the tech that separates the episode from reality; look at social attitudes toward prisoners, look at how people cheer when cops perform summary executions over nothing. The only missing ingredient from the episode is the racial dimension that this dehumanization pretty much always has IRL.

I mean there's three episodes on this. White Bear and Shut up and Dance are also all about how hosed up punishments can get because you have an attitude of "Well they deserve it so it's fine"

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This is a show where someone gets delivered a robot person in a box. They’re moral tales, not hard Sci fi.

The pointless cycling and vapid culture of Fifteen Million Merits is the point, it’s a society here together by degrading people either through talent contests or because they got fat. The talents aren’t worth having or really appreciated and the bike riding serves no real purpose. It’s a society built to grind you down until you fit into the box they picked for you even the few people who notice how pointless it is like Bing.

Or tldr, Charlie Brooker really doesn’t like the X-Factor but realises having a show that complains about it isn’t any better

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 1, 2017

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

VR Star Trek from the way the woman acts at the cheesy villain

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

LesterGroans posted:

No, I watched the screeners a while ago.

4 is the worst season so far, so temper your expectations. I only found one of them outright bad, but there are two others that I didn't really care for either.

So just Season 3 again? I can live with that

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Or does it not matter, since it's not real?

You seem to have missed the entire episodes theme of the horrors of dehumanisation

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It’s really the same story as White Bear and Shut Up and Dance where people act like it’s okay to torture them because they’ve done something wrong no matter how hosed doing that really is. It’s probably the theme Brookers done the most so far

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

facebook jihad posted:

I’m not a huge fan of the episodes that go to the ‘is torture...bad?’ well outside of Shut Up and Dance. They’re just too on the nose with their commentary and aren’t really relatable (especially White Bear).

White Bear is laser focused on British Tabloid Papers and how they treat coverage of criminals as never ending show trials so if you’re not aware of our utterly hosed up print press it can come across as pretty odd.

Season 1 and 2 feel like it was set specifically in Britain and addresses some of our issues that America doesn’t really share. Season 3 is more cross continental.

Fans fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 21, 2017

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I feel like Callister's plot came from all the people who just didn't get why torturing the Cookie was wrong the first time round. Not sure how he can make the message even more obvious for those that still don't get it in Season 5 but I'm looking forward to it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So Black Museum As expected was about Black Mirror. Not sure why people take it so literally though and think it's some attempt to make a pointless shared universe, it seemed pretty clear that Brooker was doing a story about how he feels uncomfortable with the people who watch his show just to see the people suffer. Rolo's a storyteller with a museum full of Black Mirror stories, it's just Booker going through how he needs to be responsible with the pain he inflicts in his stories and not just do it for sadistic kicks.

I just don't get this obsession with proving they're all part of one universe. They're self contained stories and Brooker just likes putting in Easter Eggs because he's a huge nerd.

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 30, 2017

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gaunab posted:

I liked metalhead. Just a short thriller about a cute little murder machine. I'm glad they cut the drone aspect because it would have raised more questions for me than answered.

I feel there was a bit of backstory right at the beginning When they're talking about equality. The world feels like one where inequality got so bad that the rich had to hire murder robot dogs to stop the poors from taking anything from them. I feel like the dogs aren't even why civilization fell, just one of the relics of it

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Any complaints about Black Mirror because “Humanity wouldn’t be that stupid” is a bold claim to make on this of all forums

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

actionjackson posted:

I liked Metalhead just because it reminded me of Skynet and T2

Also why didn't the "dog" just shoot her when she was in the tree?

The leg it left behind in the car crash was the one with the gun

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Thursday Next posted:

Ah, okay. I didn't realize the world was connected - this is my first season of the show.

It’s not really, people are taking a meta episode literally.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cojawfee posted:

How else could it be viewed? There is the same brain interface tech in callister and black museum. With as much money as they spend on each episode, they could have easily come up with something different besides using the exact same device.

The episode is about Black Mirror the actual show, which is why it’s called the Black Museum and has all the previous episodes of the show in it. It is a metaphor.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Because the ultimate message is about being responsible In The stories you tell and not just peddling tech horror to give cheap kicks to creeps?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

facebook jihad posted:

One of the problems with a few episodes of Black Mirror is that the evil bad technology sometimes is completely impractical and/or really designed for plot convenience. For instance, the doctor being able to feel pain...like, is there really any practical necessity for that? Yeah, there will be any instances where medical professionals can’t identify the problem for the patient, but would feeling said pain really do anything but possibly incapacitate or cloud the doctor’s judgment? When would feeling a type of pain give said professional a better understanding of the issue?

That one was explained pretty well in the episode I thought. It's not just that he can feel their pain, it's that he has past experience of pain and their associated symptoms and can catch things that a patient without his experience wouldn't even think to mention because of it.

The usefulness of "Oh I've felt this one before, this is.." would be pretty great. It's not like he then treats them while in pain, he's used as a consultant.

Fans fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 2, 2018

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
America is Season 5.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
America- what if guns, but too much.

Or it’s just an explanation of how American Healthcare works.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

WampaLord posted:

What if the next update patch deletes them from the server since they're rogue code?

That was the plan anyway so it’s not that bad.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
A device used to monitor your health so they can diagnose you in real time but it’s only really used by insurance companies to gently caress people over.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Industry is slowly destroying the planet but everyone pretends they aren’t or that they are but it’ll fix itself somehow, because it’d mean they had to stop otherwise, and then everybody drowns.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
A show that starts off making criticism of tech in the UK and its poisonous effect on empathy but eventually the market gets a hold of it and it ends up putting out glitzy US style productions with gently caress all to say, a complete shell of its former self.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The dogs usually have guns so going at it with a paint can and rock is a bad idea when it will just shoot you.

I also don’t think they’re from a war. They just replaced security guards in a world where killing thieves is okay, presumably because society was collapsing and it was the only way to stop them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It was an idea they played with and didn’t do. Not sure how you watch the episode and decide her running down the bots battery has anything to do with a human operator that’s never even hinted at.