Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Juice Packets posted:

That was totally the song from Fifteen Million Merits that his ex was singing at karaoke, right?

I thought exactly the same thing. I haven't checked but I am fairly sure it was.

The most horrifying part about the episode by far for me was the cookie (the assistant one, not the punishment one). Really scary. I think everyone is bothered by the idea of being a sort of disembodied soul, unable to influence anything, knowing it will go on forever. Maddening. Although the cookie is not quite the same as that, the core idea is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
As with all things, there would be a range of opinions.

Those who are absolutely against it, who would be those who consider them to be alive and that they are eternally tortured slaves. They would be considered as a sort of digital PETA and probably considered a lunatic fringe.

Those who know what is happening - in that it is a basically a clone, and feel that it is kind-of wrong on some level, but don't go as far as iPETA because at the end of the day it's a computer programme, despite them sometimes feeling guilty when they look at their cookie, or mowing down yet another AI enemy in Call Of Duty 35.

Those who strictly see them as machines, that are utterly compassionless about it because it's just a machine and isn't it weird to care about a computer.

I would like to think that your standard nerd would be in the second group, with them often conflicted that really they should be in the first because really it's the correct opinon - all life is life whether digital or biological, but looking down with disdain at the third because they are unthinking idiots.