Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Considering that 15 Million Merits seems to take place around the same time as Crocodile and before the first segment of Black Museum, I've got a theory that it's sort of a boot camp for prospective actors/singers/etc. It's like if someone took the entertainment industry and turned it into a formal institution that's nominally "fair". Merits are a way for unknowns to get their chance to stardom. Everyone who chooses to live in and on the peripheral of the industry end up working to maintain it. Only those who put in their dues get to really reap the benefits. Maybe it's contracted indebted servitude to the industry for a set number of years. I think this is one of the episodes that loses the most from being set in the same universe as the other episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Not after Black Museum: http://collider.com/black-mirror-shared-universe-confirmed/

When the showrunner confirms it, it's pretty clear.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Sure, you can watch it however you want. It's a work of fiction (mostly).

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Android Blues posted:

This is nonsense, it doesn't take place in the same universe, and it's clearly not a "boot camp for prospective actors and singers".

I don't get why people are so hung up on continuity. In the grand tradition of British sci-fi programming, the show has continuity when it serves the story and doesn't when it doesn't.

Honestly it's as much speculation and guesswork as everyone trying to figure out how all the episodes don't take place in the same universe, especially when some clearly do. Also, that's not a grand tradition, you're just making that up. Or is that the tradition? I think we're all a bit confused.

.::screen cracking::.

(Black Mirror title)