Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Holy poo poo that first episode was insane. Did they not get Walton back out of the engine? He would still be alive, right?. It probably wouldn't work, but I'd love to see a miniseries about that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Callister: I don't really get why he wasn't able to exit his game. I'll ignore that he'd let his mod be deleted by a patch, but what mechanism prevented him from even exiting the game? I suppose they needed a "danger of technology" that somehow kept him locked inside an endless void forever so he couldn't immediately get out and start over. Just seems weird that there's no failsafe in that thing to prevent people from being locked in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ClumsyThief posted:

The obvious dark ending is Daley becoming mildly annoyed that his game was ruined and restarting his private server with the same people, probably becoming more draconian and evil on the next go around.

I saw another theory that he actually died and the girl would now be facing real charges of manslaughter or murder. So her virtual consciousness compelled her to sabotage the game server and escaped into the game world’s cloud, but real her ends up very likely facing an ugly sentence because she inadvertently caused the death of a company’s CTO.

Callister I don't see how she would be responsible. At most she did breaking and entering and burglary. Nothing she did would cause him to die. She replaced his little game thing with a broken one but that just prevented him from getting back into the game. The one he used to get back in was his own backup. The only reason he would die is because the game broke and he couldn't exit. If he even dies. I'm sure at some point, Walton will wonder what happened to him and check in.

I kind of want to watch that episode again because it was so good. They perfectly captured the angry nerd being mad because his game isn't doing what it is supposed to do. I really want a follow up to see what that crew is up to now.

Handen posted:

I don't see Matt Damon in Callister at all, I see a young Philip Seymour Hoffman. I'm kind of astonished at all the "hurr durr it's matt damon but on meth lol". Episode was a wild ride, I loved it.

It's because he played Todd in Breaking Bad, a show about meth. He sort of looks like Matt Damon so people on the internet called him Meth Damon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Just a heads up, some of you aren't indicating which episode you're spoiling. That's a good way to get your post ignored.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Metalhead was a stupid episode with a shity ending.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Black Museum: This episode was pretty good, but I was actually expecting the doctor to be the one who murdered the weather lady. With him sitting in that chair watching the news story of her going missing, I fully expected the camera to pan down to her tied to the bed and murdered with that cap on. The way he was moving while watching the news, it seemed like he had just done something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The actress was in Nosedive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

It was really jarring when they threw British phrases into episodes that were clearly in the US. Like during Callister when they say "and so say all of us" instead of "which nobody can deny."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

I think Hang the DJ might just be the most morally repugnant episode of the series in retrospect. If we accept that perfect digital copies of humans are equivalent to humans, Hang the DJ presents a world where every time you're thinking about banging someone you swipe on an app and a thousand perfect copies of you and the person you're thinking about banging are generated and then purged after living their own separate lives, potentially for years or even decades. At the press of a button you birth and abruptly end two thousand human lives.

Also why was the simulation saying that it had a 99.8% success rate and then 998 couples "rebelled" in the end? If a couple was incompatible, would the motivational speaking couple at the big party say they should all keep trying because the program has a whopping 3.2% success rate and then there are 32 couples over the wall at the end instead of 998?

Hang the DJ: The two people matching up because the computer told them to isn't the success. the success is the two people breaking away from the system, deciding they are good for each other on their own and attempting to run away. It demonstrates that even when told who to date, these two people will still find each other and run away. That proves they are truly compatible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Related to AI but for Black Museum: I was surprised that when they pause the AI person, they experience no continuity. In earlier instances of something like this, when you ignore the Cookie person, they still exist in nothingness until you come back. In this instance, they are actually paused. I fully expected when he "paused" his wife, that it would all just go black and she's stuck in a void for 8 weeks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Thursday Next posted:

Just watched Callister, Arkangel, and Black Museum. Definitely a theme going on here.

Callister
Holy poo poo this one was good.

I try to go into these episodes not guessing the twists - just let the ride take me. This episode was incredibly powerful, and more than a little spooky. Who hasn't had over-the-top hero or revenge fantasies as a kid? And, hell, who hasn't occasionally indulged in a daydream about Getting The Girl or Saving The Company as an adult? I'd hope that most people wouldn't fantasize about an eternal torture-fest, but, based on that one weird poster in this very thread, maybe I'm just naive.

Chalk me up to one who didn't like the ending, though. Daly definitely should have survived - not because it's a "darker" ending or whatever, but because the game technology definitely would have about a billion failsafes. I don't know why I choke on that part and not the whole magic-DNA-plus-memories bit, but there you go. Maybe it's because the punishment definitely, definitely did NOT fit the crime (I know that's a theme of Black Mirror), and the concept of eternity is literally my worst fear.

Someone upthread suggested that a stronger ending would have been the IRL folks finding out about the sadistic torture fantasies of the CTO, and I agree with that. That would have made for a very, very interesting conversation around morality / legality - what he did was not in any way illegal (if we excuse the DNA hijacking), but absolutely repugnant. It would have been insanely powerful to see him walk through the office space to his little office while everyone around him _knew_, they just _knew_.

Callister
We learn in Black Museum that these consciousnesses have rights. Him torturing sentient people in a simulation would be illegal. I don't know when those timelines all match up, but they are close enough that it's either illegal or about to be illegal. Maybe those people start interacting with more players and it gets out that there are sentient AI living within Infinity. Then their story gets out. That could be the catalyst towards ensuring these consciousnesses have the rights they deserve.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fans posted:

It’s not really, people are taking a meta episode literally.

How else could it be viewed? There is the same brain interface tech in callister and black museum. With as much money as they spend on each episode, they could have easily come up with something different besides using the exact same device.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fans posted:

The episode is about Black Mirror the actual show, which is why it’s called the Black Museum and has all the previous episodes of the show in it. It is a metaphor.

How is that specific episode about Black Mirror the show? It doesn't seem any different from any other episode, it just happens to have more links to other episodes. All the episodes have hidden links to the others, this one happens to have a lot. Me saying it makes the stories exist in the same universe isn't any more wrong than you randomly saying Black Museum is somehow a metaphor for the show it exists in. It's an episode about a crime museum. Someone already mentioned that "black museum" is a British term for a crime museum. The objects from other episodes that were focused on in this episode were related to crimes that were committed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Metalhead just seemed so pointless. They send three people out to get killed over a loving teddy bear? I though Crocodile was bad, but Metalhead was the worst episode of the season. Maybe the whole series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

21 Muns posted:

So many people say poo poo like this, and it only makes sense to me if you're trying to pretend that they actually expected the dog to show up.

I don't have to pretend. They were sneaking around like there could be a dog there. They even told the guy in the van to run if anything went down. I didn't know about the dogs yet, but i knew they were hiding from something. Are you seriously suggesting that they were doing a fun time adventure to go get some teddy bears without knowing there could be dogs there?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

not all of them, and none of them deserved torture, but the front desk woman and the airline clerk from nosedive deserved bad things, yes

Yeah, and how did one of the McPoyles become a CEO? Totally unbelievable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Grem posted:

I don't let some TV episode tell me how to run my life, duder.

You're a sociopath.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Oh I get it. The "Black Museum is just a metaphor for Black Mirror and isn't actually canon" argument is because it says they have to give the cookies rights in that episode, so that prevents creepy goons from having torture fantasies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

21 Muns posted:

Oh, wow, just like in Hated In The Nation, AKA the worst Black Mirror episode by a long shot!

Come on now, Hated in the Nation isn't the worst episode by a long shot. Metalhead is much worse.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

They are literally ai personalities that have memories from real-world people. There are lots of dilemmas and discussion that can come from that, but that is literally what they are.

They are sentient beings. They might not be homo sapiens, but they are sentient beings that exist in a computer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I noticed in the time lapse sequence that one of her quick flings was another woman, I wonder if the guy got a gay interest check too.

Pretty sure he was only with that one lady for a year before meeting up with the first lady again and then dating a few more women.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

An episode in season 5 should just be a real story from the US to freak out all the British people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Doltos posted:

White Bear was the one episode where it was just too unbelievable that people would participate in something like this or that it would work without a hitch. At some point in time there would be intervention with her punishment, or her punishment would never exist because people wouldn't even care enough to keep up the charade. And what happens if one of the run throughs she bashes an actor over the head with a rock and kills him, or falls down a hill running from a guy with a gun and snaps her neck?

A lot of Black Mirror relies on the slippery slope theory of humanity turning to absolute poo poo and White Bear was one of those episodes where you can safely say humanity would NEVER participate in a convoluted torture plot that takes 100+ people to complete and happens over and over again. We just don't care enough.

People in the United States would most definitely go to a theme park to see a criminal run around all scared. Go find any reddit, something awful, twitter, or facebook post about someone committing some terrible crime and look at all the people coming up with all the sick poo poo they want to do to that person as punishment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

And fun story about that, it resulted in basically no charges being filed because it turns out that baiting pedophiles into outing themselves on your TV show is not proper legal procedure.

Last year they screwed up an investigation the US air force was doing because they baited some airman stationed in the UK.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

facebook jihad posted:

No. They are loving Easter eggs. People are morons.

It can be whatever you want until Charlie Brooker says what the answer is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

How many other kinds of stories can they do? More dangers of social media?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

FireWorksWell posted:

Why couldn't Daly just teleport back onto the Callister when he can bend reality with his hands

He might not have that ability, or he might just be so caught up in trappings of the world he created that he still wants to follow the rules.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Then your wife has a baby and it's a dogbot, the baby dogbot shoots you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Am I supposed to know who that is?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I was really invested in Hang the DJ's world until it ended up being a simulation. Like it was just really fascinating that there was this seemingly post-scarcity society where you don't have to work but you still have to conform to these strict relationship rules, with enforcers looming over you to ensure it. As the episode went on it felt like maybe this was some customary, highly ritualized part of people's lives, like at a certain age you're sent away to live in this compound to find your "ultimate match", and if you disobey you are "banished", either from society altogether or from the only way to be allowed to find a partner. It was really interesting, and it's disappointing it cheaped out by mentioning like three minutes before the end that they couldn't actually remember anything.

Then again I would have been 100% on board if it was gay.

Yeah, absolutely this. The depiction of the technology also had a lot of nice visual flourishes, which really meshed with the style they were using.

That would have been much better. I guess it's still a what if dating apps but too much, but it would have been a lot better if it were real.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

You could probably go to any mall in America and poll new moms and most of them would say they would love to block their children from seeing scary things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WampaLord posted:

You are, polygraphs are not admissible evidence in court cases.

However, they are used for security clearance interviews.

And it's loving useless. I had to redo mine because the guy said I was too good at lying and the control questions didn't register. I ended up just thinking about a bunch of random poo poo after the lie control question to cause a bunch of activity to show up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah I had a good laugh at the blind baby and the subsequent reveal that the cops can just pull memories out of animals too.

"ah shucks all that murderin' for nothin'"

The dumbest part is that the baby never even saw her. Even if the baby wasn't blind, she never went into its room, and the baby probably never even heard her voice. If she was going to kill the baby anyway, all she had to do was just never go into its room and just leave the house. Then they would never have known it was her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/pizzahut/status/950426602722283520

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Thinking about White Christmas. What if your preferences change at some point? What if something new comes out and you like it but your cookie version has never tried it? The point of the device was that before you even realized you wanted something, the device would do it for you. But the cookie isn't out in the world and isn't having the same experiences, so it wouldn't know that I'm in the mood for whatever new cheeseburger is out at the hamburger store. Do they have to do firmware updates or does the cookie just get a list that pops up saying "you don't like nutter butters anymore."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I think what they do is sedate the person, copy the consciousness and then euthanize the original. So the original dies without knowing it, and the copy keeps on going. Kind of like being transported in Star Trek. Or existing in real life as your body replaces itself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Wow, that person is a total moron.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

They don't all have to be in the same universe, it just seems like some episodes are connected.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I don't know why people are getting so upset about the episodes hypothetically being in the same universe. It doesn't prevent you from viewing each episode as it's own story. It's fun to think of how things could be linked together. If you want to imagine that there is zero connection between any episode, fine, but don't run into the thread shouting "NO CONNECTION, NO CONNECTION, IT'S JUST AN EASTER EGG" any time someone wants to explore the ramifications of if the episodes are in a certain timeline. We have maybe a year until another season, so what's the harm in talking about these things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, trying to "solve" a tv show or game or something is just weird to me. Like, the people who made really detailed timelines of all the Zelda games, or all the debates about the ending of Inception or Primer. It's just like, what's the point? Easter eggs and little references are fun, but trying to force a bunch of disparate pieces to fit together usually just makes the whole thing more boring.

Turns out people like to do different things from you.

«2 »