Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I love all the Terminator films especially Salvation and Genisys. I have not however yet seen TSCC.
Also, The Walking Dead is awesome I love it, and I even enjoyed Fear the Walking Dead. Escapism loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Walking Dead is like the most un-escapist piece of entertainment. It's all dour and boring and meaningless. Just like real life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's escapist in the sense that you can murder people you don't like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It does work for that because I want every character on that show to die.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ah, poo poo, that's like the Bad Father in Jumanji.

Pretty much. Why, after all, does the liquid terminator take Sarah Connor, as its final form? Everyone's noted that the liquid terminator is the 'feminine' counterpart to Arnold, literally fluid in its ability to shift between various genders and whatnot. But few people have linked this to Sarah's insane ranting about the patriarchy, and how John needs to talk her down from killing Dyson. Sarah Connor is the feminist villain of the film.

But T2 is vague - vague to the point that people don't realize they're being misled for most of the runtime. Sarah's apocalyptic dreams are false prophecies in T2. Judgment Day is prevented, but the robots continue to attack - which means it was never just a single issue created by a single corporation.

As a contrast, Terminator G the gumption to say - quite unambiguously - that John Connor is the antichrist. And Salvation gives us an authentic Christ figure in the Marcus character.

The point of all the repetitions is that the characters fail each time - but the message each time is to "try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hey gang. I just watched T5. I thought it was pretty good and I'm bummed that ticket sales were poo poo so we'll never know where pops came from.

Also I've been half-following this thread and I have zero idea what the gently caress SMG is talking about in any post here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sockser posted:

Also I've been half-following this thread and I have zero idea what the gently caress SMG is talking about in any post here.

Welcome to CD.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

CelticPredator posted:

It's a story about John Connor, Sarah Connor, Kyle Reese, a Terminator, a T-1000, Skynet, Time Travel and a plot that will bring upon the machine apocalypse. You can switch around the plot, add some different lines, maybe a couple new action scenes too! But the ultimate result is the same story we've been presented since 1984.

I don't care if you had a different T-800 show up to shoot the old T-800 in the face. It's still a Terminator fighting another Terminator again. They're still going after the same villain for the same reason, with the same characters.

It's loving boring dude. I literally do not understand why people think this story is interesting enough for 5 loving movies. 2 was pushing it.

The time traveling stuff should've been capped at Rise Of The Machines. The ending to that film was perfect. It also should've been the last one with Arnold; a trilogy of some sorts within the series, if you will.

Terminator Salvation is irredeemable dogshit while Genisys is just fan-fiction. I didn't hate the latter as much as I thought I was going to. It really did have some great special effects, specifically on the John Connor Terminator. It suffered from a lovely script, Jai Courtney, and a PG13 rating, and weightless action sequences. Also somebody earlier said that the sequel was cancelled; it's not.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Sockser posted:

Hey gang. I just watched T5. I thought it was pretty good and I'm bummed that ticket sales were poo poo so we'll never know where pops came from.

John Conner is the Antichrist. What's so hard to follow here?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sockser posted:

Latest from the producers of Genisys are that they're still moving forward on another Terminator movie, they're just reassessing how they want to handle it. (Source)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Immortan posted:

The time traveling stuff should've been capped at Rise Of The Machines. The ending to that film was perfect.

I wouldn't call anything about that movie "perfect."

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Xenomrph posted:

Latest from the producers of Genisys are that they're still moving forward on another Terminator movie, they're just reassessing how they want to handle it. (Source)

quote:

The company plans to use “data and research to do a worldwide study and really talk to audiences about what they loved, and what maybe didn’t work for them, so that the next we take with the franchise is the right one.”

I really wish they would stop doing this. It produces exactly the kind bland messes that Genisys is. (Yes Firefox, put a red squiggly line under that word. It is the right thing to do.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The ending to T3 is pretty good though.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't call anything about that movie "perfect."

The T-X had a perfect rear end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Pretty much. Why, after all, does the liquid terminator take Sarah Connor, as its final form? Everyone's noted that the liquid terminator is the 'feminine' counterpart to Arnold, literally fluid in its ability to shift between various genders and whatnot. But few people have linked this to Sarah's insane ranting about the patriarchy, and how John needs to talk her down from killing Dyson. Sarah Connor is the feminist villain of the film.

Right, the twist of Terminator 2 is not that the Arnold is a good guy now. The twist is that Sarah Connor is The Terminator.

CelticPredator posted:

The ending to T3 is pretty good though.

It's a rad ending.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sockser posted:

When confronted with a time-travel narrative, there are two standard responses.

The first is to start drawing up timeline charts of all the 'branching timelines' and whatnot. Make sense of the plot, figure out what's canon, etc. That whole approach is pretty dumb because it basically skips over and ignores the story's presentation. You get the plot, but lose the sense of it - like putting Memento in chronological order. How does time travel work, realistically?

It doesn't.

So, the more common response is to throw up your hands and say "it's a fictional story, it just doesn't make sense."

My approach, however, is a synthesis - where I make sense of the fiction, and explain how time-travel works in fictional terms. Conveniently, the Terminator films already employ a bunch of explicit biblical analogies (e.g. Genesis, Salvation, Judgment Day...) to make the abstract AI/time-travel stuff comprehensible, while simultaneously putting the more abstract imagery of the bible in fairly concrete secular ways.

Time-travel, as depicted in the Terminator films, is much too complex to chart - but also very easy to understand. The future is simply immanent in the present, and the people who understand this are depicted as literal prophets. Based on this, we can understand that Sarah Connor is a false prophet whose visions in T2 are merely nightmares. While she has arguably prevented a specific nuclear conflict, she hasn't actually stopped the apocalypse.

Terminator G is one of the many films to have picked up on this fact. It shows that the scar-faced John Conner from T2's opening future-war scene, hyped as the savior of humanity, is a false savior: an Antichrist. (In more specific terms, we can say that Satan appropriated the John Connor savior narrative. Why not let Connor save humanity? That way, Cyberdyne can rebrand itself as a humanitarian corporation.)

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

When confronted with a time-travel narrative, there are two standard responses.

The first is to start drawing up timeline charts of all the 'branching timelines' and whatnot. Make sense of the plot, figure out what's canon, etc. That whole approach is pretty dumb because it basically skips over and ignores the story's presentation. You get the plot, but lose the sense of it - like putting Memento in chronological order. How does time travel work, realistically?

It doesn't.

So, the more common response is to throw up your hands and say "it's a fictional story, it just doesn't make sense."

My approach, however, is a synthesis - where I make sense of the fiction, and explain how time-travel works in fictional terms. Conveniently, the Terminator films already employ a bunch of explicit biblical analogies (e.g. Genesis, Salvation, Judgment Day...) to make the abstract AI/time-travel stuff comprehensible, while simultaneously putting the more abstract imagery of the bible in fairly concrete secular ways.

Time-travel, as depicted in the Terminator films, is much too complex to chart - but also very easy to understand. The future is simply immanent in the present, and the people who understand this are depicted as literal prophets. Based on this, we can understand that Sarah Connor is a false prophet whose visions in T2 are merely nightmares. While she has arguably prevented a specific nuclear conflict, she hasn't actually stopped the apocalypse.

Terminator G is one of the many films to have picked up on this fact. It shows that the scar-faced John Conner from T2's opening future-war scene, hyped as the savior of humanity, is a false savior: an Antichrist. (In more specific terms, we can say that Satan appropriated the John Connor savior narrative. Why not let Connor save humanity? That way, Cyberdyne can rebrand itself as a humanitarian corporation.)

So is the T-X the Whore of Babylon?

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
SA search and Google have failed me - did Genisys not even warrant its own discussion thread?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're here. You have answered your own question.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JohnnySavs posted:

SA search and Google have failed me - did Genisys not even warrant its own discussion thread?

Why start a new one when we already had this active discussion going?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
thread title change to 'Genysis what Nintendisn't'

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JohnnySavs posted:

It wasn't even worthy of it's own movie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

thread title change to 'Genysis what Nintendisn't'

Maybe "Genysis does what Skynetendon't" works, too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sockser posted:

That's too bad. There's some really interesting stuff in there if you're actually interested in the art of storytelling and themes and pretty much the base instincts that exist in all man.

It's much more intellectually stimulating than xenomrph's posts, which pretty much amount to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU-geUcA77c&t=22s

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

That's too bad. There's some really interesting stuff in there if you're actually interested in the art of storytelling and themes and pretty much the base instincts that exist in all man.

It's much more intellectually stimulating than xenomrph's posts, which pretty much amount to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU-geUcA77c&t=22s

Wait did you just quote a month old post in a thread that hadn't been posted in in three weeks so you could use it as an excuse to call me out for no reason?

:therapy:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Xenomrph's posts are intellectually honest though, which is far more important. If Xenomrph says "actually guys T3 was not all that bad and here's why I think so" it's because he actually thinks T3 was not all that bad, not because "oh this will really rile up those fanboy nerds".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Network Pesci posted:

Xenomrph's posts are intellectually honest though, which is far more important. If Xenomrph says "actually guys T3 was not all that bad and here's why I think so" it's because he actually thinks T3 was not all that bad, not because "oh this will really rile up those fanboy nerds".

It's a bit conspiratorial to think that people who disagree with you are doing so just to rile you up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

It's a bit conspiratorial to think that people who disagree with you are doing so just to rile you up.

Have you ever posted in BSS ot TV IV?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

ruddiger posted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH hahahaha hahahah hahaha haha hheheehhehehehe haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Man that was a great joke post

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

computer parts posted:

SMG actively does this, though. He posts contrarian things because he knows it'll get people thinking and talking, not because it's actually what he believes. He'll flat out contradict himself over the course of the thread if his myriad readings will generate discussion.

Some people might see it as intellectually dishonest, but to each their own.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH hahahaha hahahah hahaha haha hheheehhehehehe haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Man that was a great joke post

Classic atheist response.

Network Pesci posted:

Xenomrph's posts are intellectually honest though, which is far more important.

There's nothing intellectually honest about that guys posts. They drip of desperation and denial, and end up reading like ocd ramblings of a person who needs to fit every piece of a puzzle into its exact proper place, and if it doesn't fit the exact way he wants it, he'll cut off the corners to make it fit.

There's nothing interesting about his 2+2=4 logic because movies aren't math and there's more to the art of storytelling than the same stupid c-word bullshit, but if you like hearing the same boring "hey didja know" trivia that keeps getting repeated in these threads, by all means. I personally like going into movies with a different mindset when watching something for the 182nd time.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 25, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Way to be a jerk, ruddiger.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Classic atheist response.

There's nothing intellectually honest about that guys posts. They drip of desperation and denial, and end up reading like ocd ramblings of a person who needs to fit every piece of a puzzle into its exact proper place, and if it doesn't fit the exact way he wants it, he'll cut off the corners to make it fit.

There's nothing interesting about his 2+2=4 logic because movies aren't math and there's more to the art of storytelling than the same stupid c-word bullshit, but if you like hearing the same boring "hey didja know" trivia that keeps getting repeated in these threads, by all means. I personally like going into movies with a different mindset when watching something for the 182nd time.
Haha what the gently caress? Put me on ignore if my posts piss you off so much. Or better yet, get help, because you'd be hard pressed to interpret my posts the way your characterizing them.

I mean poo poo you are angry about posts on the Internet, and making angry posts on Christmas of all days. Chill the gently caress out and go watch a movie you like or something, Jesus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still love you Xeno.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Xenomrph owns at the very least because he isn't guy 999 out of 1000 trying to win the biggest prick in the world contest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Xenomrph owns at the very least because he isn't guy 999 out of 1000 trying to win the biggest prick in the world contest.

Well considering the lifetime trophy for that is on my mantle it would be a waste of time.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Some of you people take movies about robot shootymans far to seriously IMHO.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Well considering the lifetime trophy for that is on my mantle it would be a waste of time.

No days off my friend.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

SMG actively does this, though. He posts contrarian things because he knows it'll get people thinking and talking, not because it's actually what he believes. He'll flat out contradict himself over the course of the thread if his myriad readings will generate discussion.

Some people might see it as intellectually dishonest, but to each their own.

Actually, those are your fantasies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Actually, those are your fantasies.

Eh, I'm unconvinced.

• Locked thread