Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mandatory lesbian posted:

You think this because you think the point is to make a good ad bot. Its not, the point is to make money, and they are doing that no problem.

If only there were a way to do this 'make money' I've had so much about without resorting to acting like a cheap half assed Big Brother knockoff. Oh well, guess it's fine that they collect all this data on people even if they say no and then don't even have the courtesy to use it in a way that more than 'kinda sorta' benefits them.

People are too willing to fold their arms smugly and go "but that's the POINT" whenever someone talks about how an advertising campaign or scheme is loving stupid and I really don't care, you definitely do not "gotta hand it to em" for "playing the game right". Why would you ever give a corporation props for anything

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
No ones saying to give them props dummy it's that you're not really acknowledging how much potential to track you is going into this because they haven't mapped the human condition already so it must be a failure, and that's a dangerous outlook.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I do a lot of corporate earnest posting not because I think we have to hand it to them but because I am fascinated that there is a weird, knowable logic to the corporate machine and how they are preparing us to dehumanize ourself and face to bloodshed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

quote:

You have received a message from the Amazon Seller - NWM Innovations CA

Thank you for your order of poop bags!

I wanted to check in and make sure everything’s okay with your order and more importantly, with you as well.

Earth Rated® is a small Canadian company based in Montreal. As a team of pet owners who use and talk about pet products daily, we want to know how your experience was and whether there’s anything at all that we could be doing better. And more than that, we wanted to check in on how you're doing personally.

The past few months have been stressful for a lot of people. So even if your order is going just fine but you still want to talk, I'm here for you.

And if you want to brighten our team’s day by sharing a cute photo of your pet, I'm here for that too!

Please feel free to give us a call using the 1-888 number on our packaging, or you can also reply to this email to speak to me directly!

Thanks again,
-Vanessa

K. Thanks Vanessa.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Actually Vanessa, I'm doing alright, but the poop bags really got me thinking. I mean they work alright, but fundamentally, they lead me to look down at my hands and think, what am I doing? What am I standing here picking up? What is life, that it has brought me to this point? Anyway, hope you're doing good. Five stars

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Hygiene posted:

Actually Vanessa, I'm doing alright, but the poop bags really got me thinking. I mean they work alright, but fundamentally, they lead me to look down at my hands and think, what am I doing? What am I standing here picking up? What is life, that it has brought me to this point? Anyway, hope you're doing good. Five stars

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Literally the only online ads I've EVER clicked on were on tumblr, because they were completely random poo poo and I just happened to be interested in that exact thing.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I'm so used to ads showing me things that I would never even consider buying that when an ad gets through that shows me something I actually want it makes me feel really uncomfortable

like no, go back to showing me badly photoshopped randomly generated face masks with stock photos of macaroni and cheese on them

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like the bottom ad banners here since they're gonna be goon run businesses or links to random threads.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HOLY gently caress posted:

I'm so used to ads showing me things that I would never even consider buying that when an ad gets through that shows me something I actually want it makes me feel really uncomfortable

like no, go back to showing me badly photoshopped randomly generated face masks with stock photos of macaroni and cheese on them

There was a period of time where I used to get wish.com ads on my phone. Not only was I never interested in any of the products advertised, usually I was left wondering if any human being on Earth would want this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I tried to see if Wish had some plastic shells for a PS2 controller that I could put the guts of mine into yesterday, but the site wouldn't even let you check it out without logging in or making a profile so I noped right out of there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like the bottom ad banners here since they're gonna be goon run businesses or links to random threads.

Remember when we had all the half naked lady ads that just linked to random amazon things so someone could make referral dollars?

And how Wayne Gretzky defended them as being find just don't click them lol

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Barudak posted:

Clicked ads can be stupid effective, mostly for sales events. Otherwise nobody really gives a poo poo, and even then a really good rate of clicks is .15% with the average much closer to .08%. There are also specific demographics and people who are click receptive, which if you look at the steady benchmark of .08% you might realize exactly how large that demo is in the general populace.

Whats important is a) even with that low rate of clicks if you can link that to purchases you'd be stunned how cost effective ads can be even when .04% of people who see an ad click and b) you can do touchpoint and exposure modeling to determine the "true value*"

*value not true

I would guess that most click-through is an accident. More people find the company I work for because of a typo than click through from an online ad. I remember when I got the report for the Uptown Art Fair's online campaign. They proudly said that the ad had 11 million impressions. They didn't mention that for the 11 million impressions they had 15 clicks. Just 15 clicks. 15 clicks for 50 vendors.

This makes a click through per vendor of 0.00000003% give a decimal place or two.
The Uptown Art Fair normally has an attendance of about 350,000 and the best they could get out of people looking at their site and others as part of the campaign was those 15 clicks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

Remember when we had all the half naked lady ads that just linked to random amazon things so someone could make referral dollars?

And how Wayne Gretzky defended them as being find just don't click them lol

J-list and Lucy Lastique will always be the SA banner ads of record for me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Phlegmish posted:

There was a period of time where I used to get wish.com ads on my phone. Not only was I never interested in any of the products advertised, usually I was left wondering if any human being on Earth would want this.

I literally cannot figure out what most of them are, which I think they're banking on. They put a shot of something knobbly and plastic that suggests an uncomfortable fusion of the sexual and medical, with no clues anywhere as to its purpose, so you click just hoping for a key word to be cast towards you like a lifeline

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cum play milord

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The Moon Monster posted:

Did the Shmorky/Fleshlight ads ever play here?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I could tolerate Fleshlight ads

Shmorky however is beyond the pale

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I briefly had an ad running here but I didn't renew it because I thought my website looked kindergartner-ish. Maybe someday if I polish it up I will link it again and offer goons some sort of discount for helping out another goon.

I like the ads that parody other ads.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just call it sex like a normal person :rolleyes:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/Dapoq_pdot/status/1307364117024391171?s=19

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
^^^^Be real, no loving body will use that on a keyboard unless they have a spare one to line their fleshlight with.

The MSJ posted:

I guess it makes Anna's duet with that prince the villain song.

Technically the trolls' song was the villain song. I mean they straight up say they're gonna break Anna up from the prince so she can marry the human they abducted. Presumably to get them closer to ruling?

Shrek 2 did it so much better.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

From the thumbnails I thought it was a keyboard with cigarette ash decor, the reality, as always, is far worse.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Moon Monster posted:

I always liked the add that was just a picture of Likitung.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

From the thumbnails I thought it was a keyboard with cigarette ash decor, the reality, as always, is far worse.

:aaaaa::respek::barf:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Same, actually. I didn't know the truth until your comment made me click on it to find out, so i blame you personally

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I also thought it a cigarette ash mottled keyboard from a depressed gamer room/piss jug distillery

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mostlygray posted:

I would guess that most click-through is an accident. More people find the company I work for because of a typo than click through from an online ad. I remember when I got the report for the Uptown Art Fair's online campaign. They proudly said that the ad had 11 million impressions. They didn't mention that for the 11 million impressions they had 15 clicks. Just 15 clicks. 15 clicks for 50 vendors.

This makes a click through per vendor of 0.00000003% give a decimal place or two.
The Uptown Art Fair normally has an attendance of about 350,000 and the best they could get out of people looking at their site and others as part of the campaign was those 15 clicks.

The way a lot of companies are shifting their click metrics is bounce rate and time spent (right now) and next click (rolling out and soon to be in future). Like I said with ROI metrics though you'd be astounded. I ran a media once for something where it was something like a .0001% conversion rate but each sale was minimum $6,000 and the average hovered around $24,000 so it was still stupid efficient.

As for your example id have to review how the units were setup and their goals and such as thats as far as benchmarking goes extremely low and would indicate a whole host of poor media management, mostly likely starting at going for pure volume of impressions and basically acting as shoveling money into a gaping chasm where no light escapes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So, anyone can just pay to promote tweets?

https://twitter.com/advertisedtwit/status/1308041871709667328?s=19

What are the chances this is paid for by Stauffers?

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 10:15 on Sep 22, 2020

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sorry for the double post.

https://twitter.com/bostonbey/status/1307861636716417025?s=19

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Last Chance posted:

What? That Guiness was a celebrated actor before Star wars? Is that knowledge somehow locked away?

More that it would drive Guinness crazy to hear the statement I quoted

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CJacobs posted:

If only there were a way to do this 'make money' I've had so much about without resorting to acting like a cheap half assed Big Brother knockoff. Oh well, guess it's fine that they collect all this data on people even if they say no and then don't even have the courtesy to use it in a way that more than 'kinda sorta' benefits them.

People are too willing to fold their arms smugly and go "but that's the POINT" whenever someone talks about how an advertising campaign or scheme is loving stupid and I really don't care, you definitely do not "gotta hand it to em" for "playing the game right". Why would you ever give a corporation props for anything

I sincerely dont see how you think im giving google props, do you think me saying the adbots being good at giving you ads is secondary to making money by selling the data they've gathered is anagalous to liking them?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The MSJ posted:

So, anyone can just pay to promote tweets?

https://twitter.com/advertisedtwit/status/1308041871709667328?s=19

What are the chances this is paid for by Stauffers?
Stauffers doesn't have to explain anything, how did that person think animal crackers get made?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

That's me! Realperson O'Movielover! I liked the things critics misunderstood and said were bad! They were good actually!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1308416076791906304

quote:

“We were built on the idea of attainable fitness for everyone. The Prime Bike was developed in collaboration with Amazon, aiming to create an amazing, connected bike for less than $500, and it’s proven to be a phenomenal match,” said Lou Lentine, president, and CEO of Echelon Fitness. “Amazon looking to us to partner on their first-ever connected fitness product is recognition of our commitment to deliver quality at a reasonable price-point as reflected in our explosive growth over the last year.”

https://twitter.com/business/status/1308764734699843584

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Come on Amazon, you should just get on and ride that train. Pair it with some VR integration with remote delivery vehicles and you'll have people delivering their own packages or earning Amazon credits from their exercise bike at home.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now that you mention it, where the hell is my VR Tour de France game, why is it taking so long

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So what's "the deal" with Peloton bikes anyway? It kind of seems like the exercise bike must have been perfected decades ago, are people just paying a premium for the internet of things to tell them "good job" or something?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

So what's "the deal" with Peloton bikes anyway? It kind of seems like the exercise bike must have been perfected decades ago, are people just paying a premium for the internet of things to tell them "good job" or something?

It's an exercise bike with a subscription program to spin classes so yes that's absolutely it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Now that you mention it, where the hell is my VR Tour de France game, why is it taking so long

Imagine it, you could be a total nerd going for dem cheevos, while simultaneously getting into shape. The hardest difficulty setting would be 'Realistic', where you have to be an actual professional cyclist to keep up with the peloton.

That's it I'm creating my own tech start-up, even though I know nothing about either tech or running a business