Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This was my first exposure to that ad and Paul captured my thoughts exactly.

https://twitter.com/pftompkins/status/848982344111280130

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was afraid to venture into the Tumblr tweet comments, but I'm glad I did

Lol fuckin roasted

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Read the loving room, Guardian.

Eating bread...so brave.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Wait this seems kinda cool what’s the rub?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Selling an environmentally destructive product.....which isn’t even the point

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pandaal posted:

Wait this seems kinda cool what’s the rub?

No part of it requires crypto or NFT in any way.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

No part of it requires crypto or NFT in any way.

Oh true, I guess I was kind of pleasantly surprised by the “let someone buy this article for everyone” concept and missed the “with an unnecessary NFT” part.

Would be cool if they let people do it via a donation link with some transparency though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Honestly think this one's pretty good but I've been posting all the tumblr ads here so

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/Shino_Draws/status/1392632237615722506

Somehow didn't foresee this. How naive of me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is good advertising though. https://twitter.com/Dalejrfan8883/status/1393044795241558016?s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dumb Marketing Moves: it's a special white sauce but it does not contain [nut emoji]

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Twitter needs to be burnt to the ground, and the Brand twitter accounts need to be the first against the wall, how do people fall for this poo poo still?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/nerdsingerbeej/status/1392943457027731465?s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

Twitter needs to be burnt to the ground, and the Brand twitter accounts need to be the first against the wall, how do people fall for this poo poo still?

On one hand I agree with you intellectually, but still, c'mon man lighten up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I went too far, I'm just so sick of this bullshit.

Twitter still needs to go though

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I'm nostalgic for the days before corporate marketing "got" social media, and it was all poo poo like "post your favorite way to eat our snack food!" and people would endlessly dunk on it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ponzicar posted:

I'm nostalgic for the days before corporate marketing "got" social media, and it was all poo poo like "post your favorite way to eat our snack food!" and people would endlessly dunk on it.

I'm just glad that marketing people have stopped inviting us to "join the conversation" about their products and or services. I'm ok with publicly flirting with a PR intern.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah if the underpaid and overworked social media person managed to meet a new friend and get their end away using the official company twitter page, that's nothing but a win in my book.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

On one hand I agree with you intellectually, but still, c'mon man lighten up.

The Marian reforms did not go far enough.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Memento posted:

Yeah if the underpaid and overworked social media person managed to meet a new friend and get their end away using the official company twitter page, that's nothing but a win in my book.

Shut up, I want to believe this woman is going to gently caress the Wingstop corporation itself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sucrose posted:

Shut up, I want to believe this woman is going to gently caress the Wingstop corporation itself.

The chair recognizes the senator from Utah

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

The Bloop posted:

The chair recognizes the senator from Utah

Took me a second.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Can we talk about based corporations for a minute instead?

https://twitter.com/jiw1330164/status/1393448686869430272/photo/1

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Sucrose posted:

Can we talk about based corporations for a minute instead?

https://twitter.com/jiw1330164/status/1393448686869430272/photo/1

Wow, I was genuinely shocked to see them posting fundraising links for Palestinian relief efforts this morning, and now this is pretty cool. There's a lot of things I don't really like about IGN, but this is not one of them.

e: I just checked myself, and I don't see the flag, but there's a donation link there instead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xbox would be A Quiet Place for exclusives.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
https://www.nopeetstore.com/

Just, all of it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

This would be impressive and appropriate if it were made by a couple of 13-year-old children.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone got a bandaid? I cut myself on that edge

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

No Pee T' Store

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

SpacePig posted:

Wow, I was genuinely shocked to see them posting fundraising links for Palestinian relief efforts this morning, and now this is pretty cool. There's a lot of things I don't really like about IGN, but this is not one of them.

e: I just checked myself, and I don't see the flag, but there's a donation link there instead.

Don't get too excited

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1393992424565841920

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Some more context for that deleted tweet: https://ignemployees.medium.com/an-open-letter-to-leadership-at-ign-ziff-davis-and-j2-global-f7171d5ad42f

Basic summary- management at Ziff Davis gets wind of one of their publications publicly supporting relief efforts in Palestine and deletes the tweet overnight, bypassing IGN’s editorial entirely.

There are some decent journalists at IGN apparently because they put together an exact timeline of events and publish an open letter protesting the deletion. Pretty much all of IGN’s staff sign the letter.

I guess this now counts as dumb marketing since it’s advertising that IGN has exactly zero editorial independence.

Fruits of the sea has a new favorite as of 17:41 on May 21, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fruits of the sea posted:

Some more context for that deleted tweet: https://ignemployees.medium.com/an-open-letter-to-leadership-at-ign-ziff-davis-and-j2-global-f7171d5ad42f

Basic summary- management at Ziff Davis gets wind of one of their publications publicly supporting relief efforts in Palestine and deletes the tweet overnight, bypassing IGN’s editorial entirely.

There are some decent journalists at IGN apparently because they put together an exact timeline of events and publish an open letter protesting the deletion. Pretty much all of IGN’s staff sign the letter.

I guess this now counts as dumb marketing since it’s advertising that IGN has exactly zero editorial independence.

Videogame journalism, the last bastion of free speech, is finally undone. There is no more value in their articles, no more interest in critiques of AAA games. 8/10.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
7.8/10

Too much water.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Pastry of the Year posted:

I thought this one was pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHyZdtXULw

If you're really interested, then I can't recommend the book "Exploding the Phone" highly enough.

I want to add "The Hacker Crackdown" by Bruce Sterling to this. It's one of his few non-fiction books and it's about the early hacking scene. He even talks about one of my favorite dumb cyber-things - the Secret Service raid on Steve Jackson Games (a roleplaying game publisher) because of their Cyberpunk supplement (SJG also has their own writeup if you're interested; it's not too long). They thought it was a manual for hackers and the related BBS (for playtesting feedback) was where they planned their cyber-crimes.

"The only computers taken were those with GURPS Cyberpunk files; other systems were left in place. In their diligent search for evidence, the agents also cut off locks, forced open footlockers, tore up dozens of boxes in the warehouse, and bent two of the office letter openers attempting to pick the lock on a file cabinet."

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 01:48 on May 22, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Actually good marketing but it's annoying me. I keep seeing ads for plant based butter. You know what another name for plant based butter is, margarine, don't waste your money on overpriced bullshit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gaius Marius posted:

Actually good marketing but it's annoying me. I keep seeing ads for plant based butter. You know what another name for plant based butter is, margarine, don't waste your money on overpriced bullshit.

Margarine is basically plastic though

:goonsay:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Videogame journalism, the last bastion of free speech, is finally undone. There is no more value in their articles, no more interest in critiques of AAA games. 8/10.

Lol thank you. 80%

I wish dunking on the industry was more fun but the “ethics in game journalism” douchebags kinda sucked the joy out of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Lol thank you. 80%

I wish dunking on the industry was more fun but the “ethics in game journalism” douchebags kinda sucked the joy out of it.

Only if you let them.

At this point pretty much the entire journalism field consists of daycare for failchildren, and it really shows.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Only if you let them.

At this point pretty much the entire journalism field consists of daycare for failchildren, and it really shows.

It's not that bad.

It's about 90% 'daycare for failchildren', and then 10% 'remarkably intensive and well-researched features, mostly on stuff you never thought anyone could care that much about'.

In gaming journalism, just because we're on the subject, that last part manifests as 'for every one feature article on crunch culture and industry-wide sexism, there's about five deep-dives into stuff like the FFVII remake's use of architecture, and about forty glorified press releases and/or weightless reviews on exactly the games that one feature article called out'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never feel bad about making fun of games "journalists"