Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zil posted:

Would think Japan would be all in on that, pretty much everything has a mascot.

Japan has actors as mascots, like Long Long Man.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-1Ue0FFrHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Recently learned of a piece of horrifying Jar Jar Binks merchandise that was released with The Phantom Menace. Must have been an experience to buy this for your child and watch as they press their lips to Jar Jar and start sucking on his tongue.

I know here in 2022 we go on and on about our capitalist dystopian hellscape, but I think people sometimes forget how loving insane the marketing surrounding Phantom Menace was.

It wasn’t just the toys, where there were entire departments in toy stores devoted to toys from the film covering every character and item from the film, no matter how irrelevant.

There was every item of clothing, every school supply, every household good. They made a deal with PepsiCo that put Phantom Menace on virtually every brand in their portfolio - and while they had recently divested themselves from their fast food holdings, the resulting conglomerate retained that license too, so it was all over almost every fast food chain in America that didn’t focus on hamburgers.

And that’s just on stuff people actually cared about buying. There was huge amounts of impulse buy garbage too - like this tongue lollipop that was produced by Hasbro.

It was inescapable and exhausting, and while Star Wars merchandise had always been a little excessive, it was on a relatively slow and steady drip - they just opened the fire hydrant after 16 years.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I bought a bunch of those Jar Jar lollipops when it was out and we would pass them around school sucking major tongue with Jar Jar.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol I spent a good amount of time in 1999 obsessively trying to get the full set of Pepsi product cans with 24 (I think) different Phantom Menace character photos, going so far as to collect ones I was missing from out of the trash at the state fair. I'm not proud of myself

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Maul was loving cool

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

I can't think of a better way to motivate goons to grief a game.
Turns out the game was so awful no goon wanted to touch it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The Bloop posted:

I'll take the M&M shoe controversy over this:

See, it's not racist because there's a white one!

(lol, now I looked this up and they actually said that)

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Blue Moonlight posted:

I know here in 2022 we go on and on about our capitalist dystopian hellscape, but I think people sometimes forget how loving insane the marketing surrounding Phantom Menace was.

It wasn’t just the toys, where there were entire departments in toy stores devoted to toys from the film covering every character and item from the film, no matter how irrelevant.

There was every item of clothing, every school supply, every household good. They made a deal with PepsiCo that put Phantom Menace on virtually every brand in their portfolio - and while they had recently divested themselves from their fast food holdings, the resulting conglomerate retained that license too, so it was all over almost every fast food chain in America that didn’t focus on hamburgers.

And that’s just on stuff people actually cared about buying. There was huge amounts of impulse buy garbage too - like this tongue lollipop that was produced by Hasbro.

It was inescapable and exhausting, and while Star Wars merchandise had always been a little excessive, it was on a relatively slow and steady drip - they just opened the fire hydrant after 16 years.

Having an actual Star Wars movie (and not the expanded universe junk) be released in my lifetime was such a big deal. It took a little while afterwards for it to sink in just how disappointing it was. I think the significance of that is lessened now that Disney is pumping them out so frequently. I at least learned a valuable lesson about both hype and Star Wars, and happily ignore both now.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Schubalts posted:

Japan has actors as mascots, like Long Long Man.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-1Ue0FFrHY

You're forgetting probably the most famous Japanese candy mascot, Peko-chan.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Hel posted:

Are you thinking of Pathfinder Online? Which preemptively banned goons from joining, which of course didn't matter because it never really got anywhere.

Hel posted:

It was such a mess they never came further than putting up a sign saying "No goons allowed!". But it seemed like the lead was legitimately scared we'd ruin the game by trolling. Some of the people in Trad Games who were more involved might remember more.

Zereth posted:

Turns out the game was so awful no goon wanted to touch it.

Holy poo poo, I had forgotten all about this. My now-ex and quite a few of his friends were ALL IN on this game when it was being crowdfunded (I believe these jobless college kids pitched in at least $100 each). I'm talking hyping it up for months and months. They had "strategy meetings", Ventrilo groups, organizational documents, etc. They talked about it SO MUCH that I started completely tuning them out when they discussed it. A constant thing was "See, other MMORPGs are THEME PARKS, but Pathfinder is a SANDBOX", like they kept going on about this drat "theme park" thing.

Then, almost six months later, I remembered and went "Hey, wait, [ex], what happened to that Pathfinder game? I just realized I hadn't heard y'all discuss it in several months". He grimaced and said "It sucked. I don't want to talk about it." and we never brought it up again.

I had no idea there was a "no goons" clause. :allears: Is there a thread or Youtube video that breaks down the whole fiasco, like how the game failed? I see one but the dude has a "drooling Pepe" in his thumbnail and I don't think I want this.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Surely only those fat stupid Americans would think to put a cartoon character on a chocolate bar

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
darkfall online was another MMO that bragged about being a sandbox instead of a theme park and then crashed and burned when it turned out to be unplayable rear end lmao

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Surely only those fat stupid Americans would think to put a cartoon character on a chocolate bar

No, not a chocolate bar - bread...which in America is basically candy anyway. :smug:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol I spent a good amount of time in 1999 obsessively trying to get the full set of Pepsi product cans with 24 (I think) different Phantom Menace character photos, going so far as to collect ones I was missing from out of the trash at the state fair. I'm not proud of myself

Oh, hi there, fellow can collector. Here's to our wasted youth.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

darkfall online was another MMO that bragged about being a sandbox instead of a theme park and then crashed and burned when it turned out to be unplayable rear end lmao

What does that even mean anyway?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Silver Falcon posted:

What does that even mean anyway?

MMO design is actually kinda neat. In the old EQ/UO days it was very sandboxy, you just got dumped into the world and were told 'figure it out' for the most part. WoW was the first major MMO to take a more linear design, you start in a place, it leads you to another place with lots of quests, you do the quests there and get pointed to a nearby place with more quests. This was called 'theme park' design rather positively (mostly) because it emulated...well...theme parks. You had a much more curated and guided experience that highlighted the 'big items' the devs wanted you to see.

After that it became the norm in most MMOs because of how insane WoW's success was, and the theme park design is genuinely a factor in that because now you didn't need a massive printed binder of maps and travel plans just to level to max, you could just install and jump in blind and not get TOO hosed over (vanilla WoW had its own dumb traps of course but they were different issues than quest design).

So naturally for a lot of 'hardcore' MMOs trying to tap into the EQ/UO/Eve Online kinda market being a 'sandbox' again is a fairly big selling point for them.

Sandbox stuff can be good, of course, but yea for a lot of games that's just kinda code for 'we didn't really put a lot of quests and poo poo in, you need to go kill rats for hours to get exp mainly' and a lot of the 'hardcore' crowd thinks that's somehow a point in favor of being...smarter...somehow?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I had a Darth Maul necktie

This one

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

Sandbox stuff can be good, of course, but yea for a lot of games that's just kinda code for 'we didn't really put a lot of quests and poo poo in, you need to go kill rats for hours to get exp mainly' and a lot of the 'hardcore' crowd thinks that's somehow a point in favor of being...smarter...somehow?

the thing i've noticed with these hardcore PvP mmo's is that everyone wants to be the pvper that kills all the noobs but no one wants to be the noob or crafter or any other job that would actually make the game work. this is why the official forums for these failed kickstarter MMOs are so entertaining because its full of people speculating and bragging about how they and their guild will dominate the game only to start quitting en-masse when it doesnt happen. i think eve managed to avoid that but EVE seems to attract its own breed of crazy person who is willing to look at spreadsheets all day and work a second job to get ahead.

16-bit Butt-Head has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Jan 22, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Darth Maul was the first time I was actually really into Star Wars.

And then he got cut like a bitch and disappeared. I didn't give a poo poo about anyone else in the prequels, that dude was too cool to go out like that.

The first time I ever was blueballed by a movie. Getting hosed over by trailers, I still haven't stopped that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I remember reading somewhere that Maul was supposed to be the villain through to the third movie when the real villain was going to be revealed, and that he was written out because the actor was bragging about being in a star war or that he had leaked some plot details or something. Probably the actual explanation was that George Lucas, freed from all concepts of editing and rewrites, failed to recognise that he had made a frickin' sweet character and decided that his Darth PooPoo was actually a great bad guy.

I firmly believe that basically any other actor playing Count Dooku would have fallen completely flat, and that it required Christopher Lee's signature look of superiority to pull it off. Lee, of course, had this look of superiority because he was superior to every single other person in the room, regardless of room he was in.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Count Dookie was pretty awesome in Clone Wars, though. His whole face was just like, a beard seemingly carved from granite

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha I did the same poo poo. My school had a Pepsi vending machine, and I would buy something from it every day to try and get every character. And IIRC, different characters could come on different sodas, so I had to drink a bunch of Mountain Dew and loving Storm to try and get everyone. I saved them for way longer than I ought to have as well.

e: lol just found out that Storm was only ever a test product and never made it outside of that. I was the lucky boy to be both obsessed with these stupid cans and in the test market for a lemon lime soda.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

No, not a chocolate bar - bread...which in America is basically candy anyway. :smug:

hey the bimbo bear is mexican

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Brawnfire posted:

Count Dookie was pretty awesome in Clone Wars, though. His whole face was just like, a beard seemingly carved from granite

Oh yes, he was great in the clone wars cartoon. Not the cgi one, the real one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5FOwpY7dCY

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Make the red and yellow m&Ms gay, you cowards.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I will never understand the american need for their candy to have personalities.
It's to cover up the fresh wave of child labor lawsuits getting dropped on them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I will never not find it funny when Euros look down on Americans for things they obviously also do

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I will never not find it funny when Euros look down on Americans for things they obviously also do

Hey now, you can't hold the entirety of Europe responsible for Orangina's ads, friend!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm perfectly fine with looking down at americans for wanting to gently caress M&M's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXbzPOs9MW4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

flavor.flv posted:

Oh yes, he was great in the clone wars cartoon. Not the cgi one, the real one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5FOwpY7dCY

They're honestly both pretty good. Though CGI cartoon is best watched with an episode guide. It has some moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvamRJvAB2U

Also the incredibly hammy WW2 newsreel style announcer at the start of every episode.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Byzantine posted:

intrusive thots
My god

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're honestly both pretty good. Though CGI cartoon is best watched with an episode guide. It has some moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvamRJvAB2U

Also the incredibly hammy WW2 newsreel style announcer at the start of every episode.

My favorite is that they work in "I've got a bad feeling about this" sometimes as much as two or three times per episode.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Alhazred posted:

I'm perfectly fine with looking down at americans for wanting to gently caress M&M's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXbzPOs9MW4

Somebody is forgetting the Orangina ads https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxBuly8Vblc

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's different. Those animals are objectively hot

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

flavor.flv posted:

So is the Green M&M and to a lesser extent the Yellow M&M (you know he fulla nut).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yes we have been over this the yellow m&m is voiced by JK Simmons and he could make anybody itt cum by just ordering you to in a forceful voice but it's still shameful!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite: I'm existing just for listing!!! > Dumb Marketing Moves: Those animals are objectively hot

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flavor.flv posted:

... literal thirst trap?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

First of May posted:

Make the red and yellow m&Ms gay, you cowards.

They always were, we just never showed it

-JK Rowling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the thing i've noticed with these hardcore PvP mmo's is that everyone wants to be the pvper that kills all the noobs but no one wants to be the noob or crafter or any other job that would actually make the game work. this is why the official forums for these failed kickstarter MMOs are so entertaining because its full of people speculating and bragging about how they and their guild will dominate the game only to start quitting en-masse when it doesnt happen. i think eve managed to avoid that but EVE seems to attract its own breed of crazy person who is willing to look at spreadsheets all day and work a second job to get ahead.
Ultima Online had the population in the pvp servers drop like a loving rock when the non-pvp servers were opened. It doesn't work anymore, it only ever worked because the PVPers and non-PVPers were stuck in the same sandbox which was the only game in town, and now the non-PVPers can go play one of a million other games.

Even in EVE most of the population sticks to high security space.