Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you were wondering if it was just you thinking what you’re thinking, I can confirm the 139 comments are all thinking the same thing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Thinking the image ain't loading?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm weird, it’s displaying fine here but I’m on awfulapp and sometimes image uploading can be finnicky. Sorry!

E: loading fine for me in a browser too so I’m stumped!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I can see it, I just...don't know what it is. :stare: A pillow for folks who wanna protect their ears (ear piercings, etc)?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know who Shane Dawson is.

He's the guy you call for image rehabilitation on Youtube. Say something racist, he'll do a documentary about how you aren't. Need to be humanized after your makeup pallet was found to be made of small children, he'll do an interview. Also he fucks cats.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Y'all are neglecting to mention his incessant "I'M AN EMPATH" poo poo, which was a hilarious thing to do for someone who hangs out with borderline Nazis and built his career on blackface. Like he tried to make being an "empath" part of his brand and would bring it up constantly.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Read After Burning posted:

I can see it, I just...don't know what it is. :stare: A pillow for folks who wanna protect their ears (ear piercings, etc)?

It looks like a butt. It is butt-shaped.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Good to see that the Ever Given's cargo of sex arses finally made it to its destination.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you were wondering if it was just you thinking what you’re thinking, I can confirm the 139 comments are all thinking the same thing too.

Lol I saw this the other day.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lol I saw this the other day.

"multifunctional" :wiggle:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Those are just donut seat things for people with hemorrhoids

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Last Chance posted:

Those are just donut seat things for people with hemorrhoids

Yes, so their partners can gently caress the cushions instead while the Preparation H kicks in, exactly.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/WellsLucasSanto/status/1526677609215455232
https://twitter.com/WellsLucasSanto/status/1526678884678193152

:yikes:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Did GrubHub even lose money off of this? They still charged the restaurants for those orders, right?

Like, it seems like a huge win for them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea this was a fantastic marketing move for Grubhub

a horrible moral move but welp

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reaffirmed my desire to never use exploitative lovely fast food delivery services that's for sure

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Turns out they ALSO don't care about the people AT the restaurants, not merely the drivers they don't pay or insure.

edit: NYC also seems like a terrible place to attempt this scheme because it's not like the unprepared and overworked drivers that make pocket change to bring you cafeteria food will be able to get your free meal to you through the streets of Manhattan anyway.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:32 on May 18, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea this was a fantastic marketing move for Grubhub

a horrible moral move but welp

People will end up not getting their free meals and blame grubhub.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I worked at a restaurant pre-pandemic, and we got both UberEats AND Doordash tablets (one of them may have been Grubhub, I forget) towards the end of my employment there (I only had to deal with them for a couple of months). I CAN'T state enough how much we hated those loving things.

Some gripes:

- Any and all tips go to the drivers. Of course the driver deserves a tip, but the people MAKING your delivery order get nothing. They WILL resent it and they WILL push it to the very end of the line, because :fuckoff: if you think I'm prioritizing "an order I see literally $0 from" over "an order I am basically guaranteed a tip from, possibly from a regular customer". Customers get really pissed (both unfairly and rightfully) if they see the staff prioritizing a delivery order that just came in over the food they've been waiting fifteen minutes for, which therefore screwed us out of in-person tips as well! I guess the owner expected us to forgo receiving tips so that HE could MAYBE get a few extra bucks in HIS pocket....which is hilarious, because "But you get tips too" was his constant excuse for not raising our pay. :capitalism:

- I forget which of the two was which, but one of the tablets was at least pretty easy to "turn off" and quit taking orders if the in-person business got too overwhelming. The other tablet required multiple hoops to jump through, including 30+ minutes waiting on the phone with customer support. Meanwhile, the line out the door is getting longer AND you're getting 5+ new delivery orders in those 30 minutes...on the tablet you are stuck on the phone for, desperately trying to turn off.

- One of the tablets WOULD NOT stop beeping until you had clicked "Yes, I accept this order and have sent it to the kitchen". This is fine if you had NOTHING ELSE to handle at that time, but in a rush, it was VERY easy to click "Okay, yes, I got it" JUST to shut up the beeping, then get distracted by customers...only to have the delivery driver arrive, expecting an order that the kitchen didn't even know existed yet.

- If the place ran out of a certain dish or item, you sure better hope someone on the shift earlier in the day marked it as "unavailable" on the tablet(s), or else you're having to deal with angry delivery customers demanding to know why you are offering items that you don't have in stock. If you were unlucky enough to receive an order asking for a dish you didn't have, there was also no way to reject or cancel the order...so you got to deal with MORE angry delivery customers.

:suicide:

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 20:24 on May 18, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
There is nothing positive about them. Restaurants that forgo them typically see better business for all the reasons listed above. I hate them all so much!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Read After Burning posted:

- Any and all tips go to the drivers. Of course the driver deserves a tip, but the people MAKING your delivery order get nothing. They WILL resent it and they WILL push it to the very end of the line, because :fuckoff: if you think I'm prioritizing "an order I see literally $0 from" over "an order I am basically guaranteed a tip from, possibly from a regular customer". Customers get really pissed (both unfairly and rightfully) if they see the staff prioritizing a delivery order that just came in over the food they've been waiting fifteen minutes for, which therefore screwed us out of in-person tips as well! I guess the owner expected us to forgo receiving tips so that HE could MAYBE get a few extra bucks in HIS pocket....which is hilarious, because "But you get tips too" was his constant excuse for not raising our pay. :capitalism:

What happens to the tips on pickup orders? Do those get passed on to the restaurant or are they just getting swiped by a middleman?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

What happens to the tips on pickup orders? Do those get passed on to the restaurant or are they just getting swiped by a middleman?

I never saw a dime of it, so either the owner was pocketing it all or the third-party service was. :shrug: Someone who still deals with these devil devices may have more input, though, this was mid-2019 or so.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I've never grubhubbed or doordashed or whatever but after reading this I'm really glad I never contributed to it. What a loving nightmare.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tunicate posted:

People will end up not getting their free meals and blame grubhub.

You know full well that people will blame the restaurant for not bringing them the food.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Volmarias posted:

You know full well that people will blame the restaurant for not bringing them the food.

Having seen it happen just the other day by my mom ordering from one of these services and getting frustrated at it being late leaving the restaurant, nope, blame goes on the driver, the absolute most uninvolved party. I heard a lot of "hurry UP Keisha" even though it had nothing to do with her, keisha had several other stops pop up while she was waiting at the restaurant that was taking a while and it made me sad.

edit: Consider when your food is cold after having it delivered. The blame is automatically placed on the driver by a whole lot of stingy people who don't wanna tip even if there were likely several factors along the way that made it completely fair your food got cold (traffic, other stops, reroutes). Grubhub et al literally show you these misfortunes as pins on the map and say "this pin named Keisha is the reason your food is late, you can talk to her right now if you want". It's really awful.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:18 on May 18, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CJacobs posted:

Having seen it happen just the other day by my mom ordering from one of these services and getting frustrated at it being late leaving the restaurant, nope, blame goes on the driver, the absolute most uninvolved party. I heard a lot of "hurry UP Keisha" even though it had nothing to do with her, keisha had several other stops pop up while she was waiting at the restaurant that was taking a while and it made me sad.

edit: Consider when your food is cold after having it delivered. The blame is automatically placed on the driver by a whole lot of stingy people who don't wanna tip even if there were likely several factors along the way that made it completely fair your food got cold (traffic, other stops, reroutes). Grubhub et al literally show you these misfortunes as pins on the map and say "this pin named Keisha is the reason your food is late, you can talk to her right now if you want". It's really awful.

I meant the restaurant, including the driver, rather than the rent seeking apparatus that suplexed their kitchen with orders

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess you're right, they have successfully marketed their service as a replacement for say calling in an order for a pizza, even though there are many more links in the chain than that. The box itself spewing out receipts without the restaurant being contacted first ISN'T apparent to the user. In that way their marketing WAS a success and I think they just pulled that mask off possibly on accident, or hope anyway.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The Anime Liker posted:

I've never grubhubbed or doordashed or whatever but after reading this I'm really glad I never contributed to it. What a loving nightmare.

By all means, I won't judge someone for ordering it for a special occasion or emergency or something. If you're stuck at home sick/quarantining/with a broken leg, you're 100% okay to order your favorite dish to make things more tolerable! Sometimes you genuinely can't go drive to get it and that's okay.

The issue is the folks (namely my in-laws) who basically become dependent on it. They will order Doordash from a restaurant that's not even a ten minute drive away, then complain when it's over-priced, half-cold, or incorrect. :rolleyes: They are perfectly capable of driving to pick it up (they did it for years!), they just...don't want to.

My partner and I have tried to explain to them how stupid this is (particularly since both of us used to work in restaurants and loving hated The Tablets), but at this point, we just roll our eyes and ignore them when my mom-in-law whines about how the Thai place forgot her chili sauce AGAIN. In particular, I've mentioned "Don't blame the restaurant. If anything, the driver didn't want to stand in a ten-minute line of customers just to grab a condiment, they have eight other orders they have to deliver before yours".

All she says is "Yeah, but still!" :shrug: It's probably the worst quality about her (which is probably still pretty decent for a parent-in-law, all things considered). :) To her credit, she is one of the most generous tippers I've ever met.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 22:43 on May 18, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Anime Liker posted:

Its basically (from the costumer perspective) just delivery with extra steps. Which like, ive been high and just wanted white castle, which its good for. Any other use case is...questionable

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did have one occasion where I could definitely blame the delivery driver. Mainly because they picked up my food and then five minutes later marked it as delivered when there was no way they were anywhere near my house. Not sure why they did that when it was clearly going to blow back on them.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't shake my belief that food delivery for able bodied people is a bad thing for everyone involved
I know there are reasons why it's beneficial for some people and it's probably just my lovely conservative opinion but I hate it

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

At least one of the pizza chains just uses doordash now instead of paying their employees to do it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

EoinCannon posted:

I can't shake my belief that food delivery for able bodied people is a bad thing for everyone involved
I know there are reasons why it's beneficial for some people and it's probably just my lovely conservative opinion but I hate it

I'd still prefer it to the alternative that it reads like you're implying of "make people with disabilities qualify for it and block the others". Seen way too much bullshit with every disability related system I've interacted with, public or private, and too many people who would benefit getting cut off in any and every theater this touches.

But Doordash and comparable are an absolute mess that fundamentally doesn't work. Whatever the answer is, this isn't it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

how did we get food before doordash invented delivery

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

muscles like this! posted:

I did have one occasion where I could definitely blame the delivery driver. Mainly because they picked up my food and then five minutes later marked it as delivered when there was no way they were anywhere near my house. Not sure why they did that when it was clearly going to blow back on them.
Big pile of words that boils down to "The gig economy is a horrifying nightmare"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

At least one of the pizza chains just uses doordash now instead of paying their employees to do it.

I know Little Caesars just integrates it into their own app and you don't know they do it until you actually order.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:stonklol:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
too be fair isnt there a wine brand called 17 crimes that also used some semi famous old timey crminals as branding?

Also they made two stouts, and not just a bunch of IPAs, they cant be all that bad.

lol. you should be paid more. Also every time a techbro thinks the future utopia is just around the corner , we just got to worship Musk more, examples of these a great counter examples.
For christ sake, seemling "simple" systems like this are still super complicated and have all sorts of interesting maths and stuff.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 04:17 on May 19, 2022

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Speaking of math, who’s footing the bill for that Groupon fiasco? I can’t imagine it’s Groupon themselves, they would have thought it through if it was their money on the line. I don’t suppose the restaurants are able to absorb a $15 loss on every customer even just for a day, especially when the tweet implies that most of these extra orders were basically "give me free food".
Did the customers end up having their meals canceled or the discount not applied?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You mean Grubhub?