Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Volmarias posted:

I meant the restaurant, including the driver, rather than the rent seeking apparatus that suplexed their kitchen with orders
The drivers are usually connected to the rent seeking apparatus, not the restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

EoinCannon posted:

I can't shake my belief that food delivery for able bodied people is a bad thing for everyone involved
I know there are reasons why it's beneficial for some people and it's probably just my lovely conservative opinion but I hate it

On one hand I totally get being blackout drunk or high as giraffe balls and "dude I can press a button and there will be gyoza and crab rangoons here" is basically dark wizardry. Like if this existed when I was 21 I definitely would have used it a few times.

And it goes without saying how useful it is for people with disabilities.

But it's so alien to me to want to pay obscene prices for food I can just... get. Like if you're sober and able-bodied, etc., nothing is restricting you, it's loving bizarre to me that you would use food delivery or grocery delivery or whatever. Just as a concept I don't mesh at all with "why walk a few blocks/drive 3 or 4 miles when I can have a worse experience for far more money".

Read After Burning posted:

The issue is the folks (namely my in-laws) who basically become dependent on it. They will order Doordash from a restaurant that's not even a ten minute drive away, then complain when it's over-priced, half-cold, or incorrect. :rolleyes: They are perfectly capable of driving to pick it up (they did it for years!), they just...don't want to.

Like this. This is what I can't wrap my head around and why I've never used it.

"My car is in the shop. I'll call a cab." This I get. "I'm watching the kids and everything is in chaos right now and I'm too tired to cook. I'll just order pizza." This I get.

Combining the two and deliberately paying $45 for a sandwich dumped on my doorstep like I'm shunned from society is way out of my wheelhouse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People should cook

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Speaking of math, who’s footing the bill for that Groupon fiasco? I can’t imagine it’s Groupon themselves, they would have thought it through if it was their money on the line. I don’t suppose the restaurants are able to absorb a $15 loss on every customer even just for a day, especially when the tweet implies that most of these extra orders were basically "give me free food".
Did the customers end up having their meals canceled or the discount not applied?

Doordash's overhead is very low. Most of those orders are $15 off, and most of them or at least a large portion of them will be for $20 or more.

This means they get $5/order instead of $20/order, but at scale it doesn't matter because they are mostly a leech atop the restaurant system.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

it's grubhub's marketing budget, op

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Wow, yeah, ignore me, I can’t even read the name of the service properly. I still don’t understand how the financing on this can possibly work, but that’s clearly the least of my problems.
I’ll be quiet.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

The Anime Liker posted:

Like if you're sober and able-bodied, etc., nothing is restricting you.

I work a late shift. I can either drive to a place in time to watch it close its doors right in my face, or I can order ahead and meet the driver at my door. Granted, that’s about the only time I use it, but theoretically I would not qualify under your system.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I also have some bullshit Michael Pollan idea that pressing a button to have food delivered is "disrespectful" to food or something. Like it's spiritually harmful and food is sacred. I have weird ideas about food and it's preparation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EoinCannon posted:

I think I also have some bullshit Michael Pollan idea that pressing a button to have food delivered is "disrespectful" to food or something. Like it's spiritually harmful and food is sacred. I have weird ideas about food and it's preparation

You have rich people disease.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please make a bag lunch to take to work. Please I beg of you don't be that guy who gets grubhub delivered to a hospital because you are on break at work and don't like the food in the cafeteria

edit: Man who doesn't work for any of the companies he's delivering for wandering through hospital halls with cooling bag of taco bell: Yeah I'm looking for RN Howser??

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:33 on May 19, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Anime Liker posted:

On one hand I totally get being blackout drunk or high as giraffe balls and "dude I can press a button and there will be gyoza and crab rangoons here" is basically dark wizardry. Like if this existed when I was 21 I definitely would have used it a few times.

These are arguments for the concept of food delivery but not for grub hub/door dash specifically. Taxis and public transport are good, uber is capitalism's rear end in a top hat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is on a bag of almonds in my fridge and man I know it's almonds and it actually is smarter eating to irresistibly snack on them vs other things to irresistibly snack on, but I just don't like pairing these two statements side by side. They have to know it's a weird thing to do too otherwise why would they trademark such an uncommon phrase.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

The Anime Liker posted:

Just as a concept I don't mesh at all with "why walk a few blocks/drive 3 or 4 miles when I can have a worse experience for far more money"..
Often times restaurants are more than a few blocks away, and the majority of NYC residents don't own a car.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Wow, yeah, ignore me, I can’t even read the name of the service properly. I still don’t understand how the financing on this can possibly work, but that’s clearly the least of my problems.

They're burning VC money for market share.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This. The end goal of all gig economy start-ups is to get bought out once they are dominant. Or get bought and assimilated by another tech start-up, if the price is right. The investors will keep pumping cash in as long as they think they can get a good return.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Fruits of the sea posted:

This. The end goal of all gig economy start-ups is to get bought out once they are dominant. Or get bought and assimilated by another tech start-up, if the price is right. The investors will keep pumping cash in as long as they think they can get a good return.

GrubHub was founded in 2003. Seamless, who they merged with a while ago, was founded in 1999.
Is that still considered a start-up?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If a restaurant has a GrubHub/whatever sticker on their door then I don't feel too weird about using it, even though it's less than ideal. The ones I really stay away from are when there's no actual partnership, but a delivery service will still offer it anyway. (Basically you submit the order to the service, then the driver will both place the order and pick it up from the restaurant, as if they were any random customer.) A beloved local restaurant almost got screwed by this, it made them seem like their service/food quality was going down the tubes. They couldn't properly fulfill one of my orders, but since the whole thing was going through a middleman, I ended up paying full price for it despite the missing items. There's now a sign on the restaurant specifying that they do NOT have a partnership with any of these services.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

GrubHub was founded in 2003. Seamless, who they merged with a while ago, was founded in 1999.
Is that still considered a start-up?

Grubhub actually earned some money in the mid 2010s, but they (and most every other food delivery service) went back into rapid expansion mode when the pandemic hit. Revenues have gone way, way up, but Grubhub is losing more money than ever - it's all propped up by investors who assume they can sell by driving up the company valuation.

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 15:32 on May 19, 2022

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Anime Liker posted:

But it's so alien to me to want to pay obscene prices for food I can just... get. Like if you're sober and able-bodied, etc., nothing is restricting you, it's loving bizarre to me that you would use food delivery or grocery delivery or whatever. Just as a concept I don't mesh at all with "why walk a few blocks/drive 3 or 4 miles when I can have a worse experience for far more money".

Like this. This is what I can't wrap my head around and why I've never used it.

"My car is in the shop. I'll call a cab." This I get. "I'm watching the kids and everything is in chaos right now and I'm too tired to cook. I'll just order pizza." This I get.

Combining the two and deliberately paying $45 for a sandwich dumped on my doorstep like I'm shunned from society is way out of my wheelhouse.

Suppose your grocery is more than a handful of miles away? Or you don't own a car? Like yeah the corner grocer is a 5 minute drive and I'll get my own dang regular groceries. But if I need/want stuff from the wholesale warehouse that's a good 20-40 minute drive, depending on traffic? Nah, gently caress that. I'll order that poo poo delivered. If that makes me a lazy piece of poo poo so be it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

too be fair isnt there a wine brand called 17 crimes that also used some semi famous old timey crminals as branding?

Also they made two stouts, and not just a bunch of IPAs, they cant be all that bad.

They used Snoop Dogg

And...Martha Stewart?:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She did go to prison for like 5 months for various financial crimes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Martha and Snoop go way back

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Does whitening supremacy sound racist for a title for a teeth whitening treatment? (self.answers)

My company decided to go with that title and I want to bring it up

Yes. Yes, it does.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
grubhub sent me a coupon today and i work two jobs and am tired all the time so i'll probably order pf chang's or some other poo poo we only ever eat when we get a grubhub coupon

then i won't remember it exists again for a few months until they send me another coupon

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Yes. Yes, it does.

Supremacy shouldn’t be anywhere near orthodontics and dentistry without a thousand klaxons and relentless screams going off

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PhazonLink posted:

too be fair isnt there a wine brand called 17 crimes that also used some semi famous old timey crminals as branding?

Also they made two stouts, and not just a bunch of IPAs, they cant be all that bad.

Adroit makes a pretty wide range of stuff. What I've had has been pretty good, though I'm not a beer nerd. A big part of it is that most of their stuff isn't IPAs. Also the heavy metal theming lol. I haven't had anything from them or been there since before the pandemic, so god knows what they've been up to since.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I did have one occasion where I could definitely blame the delivery driver. Mainly because they picked up my food and then five minutes later marked it as delivered when there was no way they were anywhere near my house. Not sure why they did that when it was clearly going to blow back on them.

All the food delivery apps require the driver to be within a certain GPS range of where the order was placed to mark delivered now because of stuff like that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is definitely an underappreciated aspect of these "disruptive" app based services. I think most people, at this point, recognize that they're ignoring regulations and gig-ifying labor costs, but on top of that a ton of them aren't even concerned with making money. The business plan is literally

1. Burn through VC money to capture the market
2. ???
3. Profit

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

This is definitely an underappreciated aspect of these "disruptive" app based services. I think most people, at this point, recognize that they're ignoring regulations and gig-ifying labor costs, but on top of that a ton of them aren't even concerned with making money. The business plan is literally

1. Burn through VC money to capture the market
2. ???
3. Profit

I think a lot of it for the VCs is essentially considered lobbying costs. They want to make people reliant on these services, so they can push through policies like Prop 22 in California. Once they fundamentally undermine labor law, that's where the big money is.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

This is on a bag of almonds in my fridge and man I know it's almonds and it actually is smarter eating to irresistibly snack on them vs other things to irresistibly snack on, but I just don't like pairing these two statements side by side. They have to know it's a weird thing to do too otherwise why would they trademark such an uncommon phrase.
Well, now, hang on a second.

A bag of almonds in your what now?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hirayuki posted:

Well, now, hang on a second.

A bag of almonds in your what now?

I dunno ask my grandma, I don't eat almonds! Maybe she likes her almonds tooth shatteringly hard!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

All the food delivery apps require the driver to be within a certain GPS range of where the order was placed to mark delivered now because of stuff like that.

I hope the next escalation in this is drivers using GPS spoofers.(which apparently might be highly illegal and might cause bad things to happen?)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CJacobs posted:

I dunno ask my grandma, I don't eat almonds! Maybe she likes her almonds tooth shatteringly hard!

:gonk: "AAAUUUGHHHHH My almonds! My almonds are ice cold! You weren't using the fridge to make jello! You were chilling my almonds to give me the old icy nut!

How could you give your brother the old icy nut CJacobs?"

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Look at these fools that don’t know that the fridge or even your freezer is the best place to store your nuts
stops the oils in them from going rancid if you keep them for a while before eating or cooking with them
also pantry moths love nuts so it keeps them safe from those horrors

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I store my nuts in ur mom's mouth

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Keeps 'em warm and soft.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
There's still a lot of moths, for some reason?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
one of the other nefarious things delivery middlemen like ubereats / doordash etc. do is inflate all the menu prices on top of their various fees and then pocket the difference. and that's on top of an immense pile of other poo poo they do

PhazonLink posted:

I hope the next escalation in this is drivers using GPS spoofers.(which apparently might be highly illegal and might cause bad things to happen?)

there are ways to spoof your location via gps that are as simple as installing an app. there's nothing illegal about it, but it certainly breaks gig app terms of service and the apps themselves will likely attempt to detect if you're spoofing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

muscles like this! posted:

She did go to prison for like 5 months for various financial crimes.

Her only crime was talking to the feds.