Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Spergminer posted:

Electronic Arts partnered with GameStop for a one-day promotion of Dante's Inferno on September 9, 2009 (9/9/9). Those that pre-ordered the game were offered a $6.66 discount, the Number of the Beast.[16] In addition, EA conducted an unsolicited mailing in which checks for $200 were sent to selected video game critics, with the following note:

"In Dante's Inferno, Greed is a two-headed beast. Hoarding wealth feeds one beast, and squandering it satiates the other. By cashing this check you succumb to avarice by hoarding filthy lucre, but by not cashing it, you waste it, and thereby surrender to prodigality. Make your choice and suffer the consequence for your sin. And scoff not, for consequences are imminent."[17]

:psyduck:

Tip of the iceberg

https://web.archive.org/web/20130906035102/http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/electronic-arts-marketing-of-dantes-inferno.html (Sorry for the archive link the original seems to be dead)

The entire ad campaign was insane. Each month was a new gimmick based on the 9 levels of hell.

They kicked it off in Limbo by staging a fake protest at E3 by Christian Right groups about the game (No controversy is bad controversy and all that) and when found out it was not well recieved. Then next layer, Lust they had a "Sin to Win" contest where you were supposed to do something sexually inapproriate with a comic con booth babe and photograph it for a chance for "a sinful night with two hot girls, a limo service, paparazzi and a chest full of booty."

Yeah that was pulled pretty fast. The stuff after it was a lot more tame but some weirdness like the Greed one you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So there have been things I've heard on that end, probably just weird conspiracy theories, that part of the reason for that was to replace the classic coke recipe of sugar for splenda. I've never actually looked at the numbers, but is there any validity to that?

A coke CEO once said that anyone who assumes a conspiracy simultaneously gives them too much and too little credit. There was no gain to the risk they would have taken on new coke that they did. All that happened was cokes sales were flagging to Pepsi and they thought they'd change the recipe. Market research shows most people never even tried new coke. While it may have been awful (or not) the real reason was people were just upset at the audacity of changing an American classic (even though it had already been adjusted over the years many times, their downfall was making a big deal about it). That's all that went into it.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 11:13 on Apr 3, 2015

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

I don't get it. It still sounds like a great idea. Who was the dumbass who scrapped it, instead of simply adding, "8 minutes from placing order. Only applies to food on this menu?"

Or just retitling it "items that can be rush ordered," so there's no 8 minute promise at all?

Also, gently caress those customers that do things to make a server's packed rush hour even more complicated. The more I read about it, the more small town diners sound like magnets for the greediest people on Earth... Piled high

You'd still have the issue of people going "Just gimmee everything on the menu" and it would guarantee it wouldn't be there on time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

was bazooka joe a child soldier or something?

Where do you think he got the nickname "Bazooka"?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

There's been a kerfuffle over Destiny, Bungie's latest game lately, because they announced the next DLC/expansion is $40 (twice the cost of the first two) but doesn't quite seem worth it, as well as a $80 collector's edition with several exclusive items you can't get anywhere else. Collector's editions with exclusives are nothing new in gaming, but for a game that's been out a whole year that's kinda messed up. People who are loyal fans who bought the game at launch and got both DLC already would have to buy the game a second time, including both DLC, just to get the exclusives.

There was an interview to discuss these issues as well as the European pricing being an inappropriate direct conversion ($40 = £40 right?? $80 = £80?? no??) which seemed remarkably tone deaf and came across as smug and money-grubbing while dismissing concerns:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-22-destiny-the-taken-king-director-defends-40-expansion-price-tag

And then, with the fanbase already frustrated and grumbling loudly on the internet, they announced this today:

:master:

Forbes is scathing:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/06/22/bungies-disastrous-taken-king-interview-could-have-ramifications-for-destiny/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/06/24/destiny-announces-ill-timed-red-bull-exclusive-quest-for-the-taken-king/

Apparently, a flyer being distributed to 7/11 managers.

"stages that mirror Red Bull's brand traits of adventure, fun and comaraderie."

loving hell.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Coffee is the Arab world's gag on Europe. Successful marketing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Show them TCC posts.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

wayne curr posted:

It's loving :psyduck: how nicotine can be bought cheaply off supermarket shelves (here in Australia), but you don't hear about people getting addicted to/dying from nicotine gum the way people die from smoking tobacco.

As I understand it Nicotine is largely not damaging (Just very very addictive) it's all the toxins and poo poo in cigarettes. Including you know, swallowing smoke.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Croccers posted:

The idea behind it is that if they're behind doors or generally out of view you're less likely to impulse to buy them and smoke.
Or something.
It was a pretty bullshit excuse. It was mostly a move be the government to make it look like 'No really guys we want you to stop smoking'.

Prohibition is historically a bad way to go about dealing with a problem like that so making it as much of a pain in the rear end as possible but still legal has actually been very effective.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It was 1996 that CGI was probably damned expensive. Have to get a return on it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I just heard an ad on the radio,

This guy is like freaking out wondering what weird science they're using to make sonic's hotdogs taste good for twice as long. He's saying things like "thank-you science for my hot dogs!"
I'm sitting here the whole commercial wondering "What? Are they adding some new crazy preservatives to sonic hot dogs now?!?! what is this..."
Then finally after what feels like an eternity they drop the (dumb) punchline: "dude, you just bought a foot-long hotdog. It tastes good twice as long because it is twice as long." :v:

That's really groanworty dad-joke humor, and leading me on thinking they were injecting their hot dogs with some kinda MondoBurger chemicals is a pretty stupid idea. If you didn't hear the whole commercial your takeaway would be to stay away from Sonic.

I guess if you were like, paranoid I guess? A great many commericials would make no sense out of context dude.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

As hard as it can be to believe sometimes, people are getting more health conscious (there's just sometimes confusion about what counts as "healthy") and Soda is like top of the list of the worst poo poo for you so that's not surprising.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Rainbow 6 vegas did that too. Leading to me getting Canadian Forces recruitment ads.

I remember getting Always Sunny ads, so I was ok with this.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's a Mexican coke ad making the rounds today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDb9qErLc8

I honestly have no idea what the message is, but I guess high school Spanish can only take me so far.

http://www.techinsider.io/coca-colas-ad-offending-indigenous-mexicans-2015-12

White Hipsters deliver coke and capitalism to poor indigenous people.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

It'll be fun to find out later that the cars were flood-damaged and therefore unsellable but the dealer got to write off the full value

Considering the deal theyre giving with it, I doubt it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

That ad campaign still makes no sense. I don't understand why sexy(?) robots with nonsense taglines would sell alcohol.

Why WOULDN'T they?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SatansOnion posted:

Heroes, from what I recall of it, started by bringing some of the worst storytelling tropes from comic books to serial television, but managed to tell some interesting stories in spite of that.

I remember Tim Kring bragging that he never read a comic book before. I think he was trying to say it like he'd be a fresh take on comic book style superheroes but the reality is he kept treading the same ground because he didn't realize what was already overdone.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

bobjr posted:

I just remember the cheerleader being blatantly suicidal with some of the stuff she did. Like one time she stuck her hand in a garbage disposal because ?

She was having this weird existential crisis about the fact that she couldn't die and her very first appearance was, iirc, getting hit by a train and having her friend film it to document it since then they couldn't explain it.

Basically, it's a really stupidly common comic book trope where characters are given "depth" by having them whine that their totally bad rear end power is a curse. I feel like the only time that ever worked was Rogue since her power had legitimate downsides.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

What are you even talking about, mashing together 2 random words for an insult is like, basic Internet flaming.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

I'm more interested in what college age chavs think about it than what 25-30 year old office working ladies think.

Mountain Dew obviously wasn't.

It's wacky and random humor which is what the target audience finds funny, directly after movie references they recognize.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Ummm... Yes, we will? The whole point of the conversation isn't "advertising doesn't work on me :smuggo:", it's "that particular ad was a failure due to its horrible execution". Again, I don't even know what the product is at all other than the new information that you gave that it's probably some kind of alcohol. How the hell can it be effective if no information about anything gets passed along?

The ad sucks but it literally says "Dew, Juice, Caffiene - 3 awesome things combined". You're just being obtuse.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Remember when you were kids and Nickelodeon basically made bank on the fact that they used gross out humor that adults were too square to get?

We're the adults now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Just go full Muslim. No waste at all!

(Well, except one)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Also burger King has been doing it for years so why not leech off their success.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The problem is they've been hemmoraging business because of "upscale" fast food like Panera and Chipotle, which millenials see as paying a little bit more for something not associated with greasy poor food.

McDonald's has, after decades of business practices, become associated with all things terrible in everything, hell we call lovely jobs a McJob.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bast Relief posted:

So I went out to the movies for the first time in years and immediately regretted it until the smuggled booze started kicking in and the movie started. The advertisements before the movie just about did me in and made me realize just how much I shelter myself from mass marketing what with not having a TV or shopping at regular stores. I thought the ads on the internet were bad enough.

Anyway, what I was exposed to probably isn't a dumb move for advertisers at all. I'm just complaining because I was bothered and saddened that this poo poo works on people or is actually appealing in the first place. So, here's what I recall:

Youtube Red: A bunch of obnoxious stereotypical millennials having a good time getting noticed on the internet. Included Pewdiepie and that Indian broad and a lot of messaging that what's being done here is important and you can be a part of it. To me it looks like the suits are trying again to harness the slippery phenomena that is viral and user-created content, then putting that professional gloss on it, slipping in messaging, and then turning it around and selling it at a premium. No thanks, I'll stick to my free lovely cat vines and old movies that no one cares about the rights to. However, I suspect those days are about over.

M&Ms: There were several M&M adds, or maybe M&Ms were surreptitiously embedded in every add, I don't know, but some dude who may have been Pharrel or had the same shtick sung a Very Meaningful song while the numerous renderings of the M&M characters from past to present were shown as if I had died and my life was flashing before my eyes, except I was an M&M.

Sprite: Fat Asian man labeled as "Entrepreneur" talked about how important the thing he was doing was, though I'm not sure what he was entrpeneuring. Sprite was poured with a cringe-inducing ASMR that no soda or any beverage has ever made. He was in a bar at one point, where a crowd of underage girls and were cheering at him, but they were pretty wholesome looking kids, I guess drinking Sprite and partying with some 30 something at a dimly lit bar.

Coke: They have designer bottles now. I saw them at the grocery store when I was buying single serving wine to sneak into the theater. The ad had a blank white background with one of these designer bottles flying through the air from the left and a blonde white woman in a pencil skirt and suit jacket flying towards the bottle with an outstretched arm. The narrator was saying something about the importance of image. I'm like, oh please, it's a bottle that you are going to throw away, and when you bought it you probably didn't really spend any time selecting the one with the most appealing design.

Disney: A seemingly gay white man and his Filipino wife talk about their blended family of eleven kids and how they have all of these challenges including renting a big van to get to Disneyland, and how hard it is to get so many people in the photo in front of the Disney castle. Family values are implied harder than the fun had at Disneyland. These people mostly just talked vaguely about how wonderful their family was golly-gosh there's so many of us! All I can think of is why the gently caress do you people have so many goddamn kids on this planet of 7 billion people.

A Car Brand that I Can't Remember: A business man has been flying around for a long time, and oh! How good does it feel the Be in Control again in your own car driving around! gently caress no! Driving is a pain in the rear end and if I could get by without ever driving again I would gently caress you.

The thing that I do appreciate about the advertisements is the diversity.

The thing that disturbs me the most is the message of Deep Meaning and Importance. It's vague what exactly is meaningful or important, but something is meaningful and important, you are connected to it, and so is *product*.

I'm not even trying to be one of "those people" who doesn't own a TV to score smug points or anything, I just literally can't handle this poo poo. I don't like what advertisers are telling me. They're telling me that there's something wrong with my image, that I should care about my image, that I should be involved in what everyone else is doing, that the things I have are inadequate, the hobbies I engage in are unimportant and I should be doing something that will get noticed and be important. Holy poo poo it's just too much. I mean, the Charmin bears are kinda gross and precious, but at least they aren't trying to tell me how to be...or are they? It's like at a certain point advertisers aren't even trying to figure out who I am so they can get me to spend a buck, they're trying to make me into someone who they are already advertising to.

tl;dr Weirdo shut in goes to a picture show and was broken by the advertising.

Get therapy

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

If people aren't aware they make literally no money off of tickets, it all goes to the movie studio. So concessions are literally the only money coming in.

I dont mind paying a little extra every few months to keep my local theatre going.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

People are allowed to spend their money for whatever legal reason they see fit :capitalism:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cobweb Heart posted:

On that note, remember ~a couple days ago when that guy made a post about the dumb marketing he had to sit through, and then we had to read about a half page of retards :stare:ing and calling him a crazy sexless shut-in for being bothered by how hosed up it is instead of blithely ignoring it and pretending it's healthy and cool? It's actually way more bizarre to me that anyone (at least anyone who's not a young child) isn't disturbed and alienated by ads. It's incredibly surreal to see people do capitalism's dirty work in this very thread, like, "you put thought into the aggressively manipulative addiction tactics bombarding your brain -> you're a loving weirdo who cares too much -> definitely an unclean, lonely virgin with budding schizophrenia, must publicly distance self." How mentally crippled do you have to be to think like that? Actually that's facetious and unfair; I think I know what it might be: people who have to see ads on the hour, like because of work or kids, or who choose to because of their hobbies (moviegoers), are envious of anyone who doesn't have to experience it. People are scared and irritated by anyone who wants to talk about ads being really harmful, and pro-capitalist narratives in society encourage ignoring that and labeling them as anxious, paranoid misfits.

I think commercials are a really weird and scary thing - sometimes they genuinely upset me - and I wish society could somehow disallow everyone from being targeted and awkwardly mindfucked by rich people like that. That sentence alone is probably enough to get lots of people thinking "I didn't know a nerd could be this crazy AND this dumb".

Edit: Well I'll be less sardonic.

I guess the thing is less that he's a weird for not liking ads (who does? I'm not exactly begging for netflix to add them, and I use adblocker for a reason) it was the effort post of writing about every ad he saw rather than just moving on.

As for the manipulation piece...we are, in a very real sense, manipulated every day by everyone and everything in our environment, not just advertising. We're manipulated to goto work, do our jobs, find love, get married, have children. It's not always 5th Avenue advertising that does it and yet people wanna prove they're capable of breaking free of the shackles of consumerism by pointing out how ridiculous it is that we obey ads. Much like the argument about "is there really free will" it's just another way in which our brains are driven to do something and I just don't see how it's all that unique.

Also to be fair, he called himself the shut-in.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Mar 17, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't they cook the regular burgers and veggie burgers on the same grill anyway?

I'm not sure but as a vegetarian myself it doesn't bother me that much. I mean the reality is unless a restaurant is vegetarian only meat is being served and particles will get mixed in. Short of a religious reason you have to draw the line somewhere.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Actually I find Red Robin is pretty great since vegetarian burger substitutes for the entire menu is so uncommon it's nice to go out to eat and not have to get the one drat thing on the menu I can eat every time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

BK still has the bean burger. If friends insist on eating fast food I'll go to Burger King because of that

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Is it spironolactone? AKA the blood pressure medication also used to suppress testosterone in some MTF transitions?

My dad was put on that and pretty quickly switched when he realized something was up, lol

Naw it's risperdal, I've seen the ads too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I always love threads where people just so gleefully get scammed "oh you know if it's a ripoff, whatever why is everyone so pessimistic? "

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Maybe they market them as hip so oldsters think that they're buying the coolest new thing.

I think this is it, honestly. Aside from people who are just plain rich, most expensive car sales are from people going through a mid life crisis.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah I assume he meant significantly smaller fraction.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

Uh, it is really common usage.

So and so fell pregnant, they've fallen pregnant, someone falls pregnant.

I really never heard it that way. I'm an American and always heard it as "she got pregnant".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You people never complain all the times 1890's ragtime is in movies about the 1920's or 30's.

Well obviously I just figured it didn't even need to be said.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Actually I believe youll find it infects you with the Islamic virus and converts you to Islam without your knowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

They were a series of youtube videos before Quizno's picked them up so no I don't think that was the issue. It was just another company trying to be hip by using material from the internet.