Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Detective No. 27 posted:

I witnessed my friend yesterday try to get out of a meet up with old co-workers who wanted to get dinner at Applebee's by pretending he'd never heard of the place.
Apple... bees? They make speciality honey yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://books.google.ie/books/about/Dora_and_the_Lost_City_of_Gold_The_Junio.html?id=irx_DwAAQBAJ&source=kp_book_description

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shut up Meg posted:

Mind you, at least you can talk about it on his app, unlike these forums, so it does have that in its favour.
Whut?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Depending on the motivation it's either vampires or Wario

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Gomez looks weirdly round, and he's not weirdly round in any of the films or tv series', but he is weirdly round in the original New Yorker cartoons. So I'm conflicted.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Azathoth Prime posted:

It is a well deserved title. Every time I've driven through there, regardless of time of year, I've been able to smell the garlic in the air.
I wonder if you grow up there if the rest of the world smells weird

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I watched a thing where somebody actually tested whether or not they'd be useful for the disabled and a lot of them weren't. It turned out that the most genuinely useful things for people with various issues didn't need stupid infomercials to get people to buy them. All they really had to do for those spoons that stay steady no matter how much you shake was to just show videos of people with Parkinson's using them. That's it. People rushed out to buy them because holy crap.
The what

*googles*

:aaaaa:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

jojoinnit posted:

Welp, this led to an arguement with my brother where he insisted this has to be a bit and there's a whole documentary called "Gilbert" (that he hasn't seen) and if it was his real voice it would have been mentioned in there etc...

We're still little children I guess.
His real voice is in the trailer

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cleretic posted:

Deadspin did an article on this that also includes what the black students' opening lines that these were pulled from actually were. The guy's line was “I am a brother, uncle and best of all, I am a leader,” which gives you some decent pulls but nothing related to profession, and I could see a graphic designer pulling 'brother' from that. But the girl's was “I am an African-American woman, a sister, a daughter and a future physical therapist”, so they've got no excuse there.
"I am a leader" would have been just fine, wonder why they didn't use it :thunk:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ego-bot posted:

https://twitter.com/BP_plc/status/1186645440621531136

This strategy and tweet was bad enough, but they're actually responding to people in the thread. lol
https://twitter.com/BP_plc/status/1186652967757369344
That's some serious well actuallying

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You poor, sad people living in countries without chippers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Does anyone think Netflix has got another year or two at most?

It's got all these other competing streaming services that have all sorts of other things to back them up. Also they've entirely lost their staring match with the theater chains.

I think they're going to be known not as the thing, but the thing that got us to the thing. And remembered fondly!
"The thing" is being able to watch what you want when you want without signing up to fifty different streaming services to do so. So "The thing" at the moment is a Netflix plus piracy combo. If Netflix goes it'll just be straight piracy. And we already had that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beachcomber posted:

It is in the US. I thought it was a Subaru commercial until the end.

Subaru sponsored a lesbian...I want to say tennis player, and it paid off big-time. Lesbians are 4 times as likely as straight women to own a Subaru, and the Outback is the #1 lesbian car.
They were doing unrelated market research and found for some reason a disproportionate number of Subaru owners were lesbians, so they leaned into it hard and it super paid off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Got Meth?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plastik posted:

My favorite part is getting a "we're sorry" popup after making changes, which means some or all of your changes may not have applied, and the only way to tell is to refresh and lose everything.
I'm assuming it's web based? When I'm using similarly lovely program I check the settings in a new tab so worst case scenario I still have the original tab to copy-paste from.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plastik posted:

There is also a Coke museum at the original bottling plant in downtown Atlanta.
This is legit but everything else

Plastik posted:

Brands are cults, burn them all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Memento posted:

Homeboy there is doing the star trek salute in a star wars ad
...is he? It looks more like he's trying to avoid someone wrecking his vision with a laserpointer

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vavrek posted:

I remember hearing about Cats back in, what, the 90s? I didn't get it then, but was then a child. As I've grown, and my understanding of the world has expanded and deepened, Cats makes less sense.
It's a bunch of poems about the different kinds of cats (Your rear end in a top hat cat who doesn't know if he wants to be inside or outside. Your neighbour's rear end in a top hat cat who comes in the window and wrecks your stuff. And so forth). Andrew Lloyd Webber set some of them to music with a framing device for why a bunch of cats are singing about themselves. Then I watched a six meter tall Dame Judy Dench present her androgynous genital area to Sir Ian McKellen and questioned the life choices that led to this moment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taeke posted:

Nah, if I tell them to wait until they can watch it at home they probably will. We're pretty close and respect each other and all that boring stuff.

I'm just weighing being the good brother and protecting them from a huge disappointment vs. the comedy of their reactions afterwards. There'll be some sweet schadenfreude for sure.
Do not take this experience from them. Let them go in blind.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
They will also leave blind

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cleretic posted:

Andrew Lloyd Webber is perhaps the person least capable of making big movies that's nonetheless allowed to make big movies.
He didn't make the film, he just made the stage musical. This is someone else's baby.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably could use more first-hand accounts but after reading enough r/relationships there might be something to be said for cultural mores where both families are invested in making sure the relationship works.
After reading the estranged parents thread and also just kind of existing around people I'm going to say it's probably the blind leading the blind.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Algae and rotting sea life.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I prefer rum with a reach around. Haven't lived till you've had a Rum Tum Tugger.
This deserves better than the end of the page

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

Mister Peanut’s twitter feed four or more twitter feeds are having a very normal one.

Let’s see if this embeds.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1PlKQmRNZnNKE

https://twitter.com/BabyNutLOL/status/1224140064051138560

https://twitter.com/babynutmemes/status/1224159918246244352/photo/1

https://twitter.com/babynutmemes/status/1224153806470107139

Not to mention the Oscar Mayer weinermen.

Why is the peanutmobile there? Do people usually drive their dead friend’s car to that dead friend’s own funeral?
The baby nut lol and baby nut memes accounts are now suspended. Were they really official?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shut up Meg posted:

So, the Peanut guy must have been certified dead, so is the new one a zombie?

Or did he come back from the dead after 3 days? Cause, that's kind of a ballsy move to compare your sandwich spread mascot to Jesus.
They Grooted him

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

profoundly unholy sex toys
:justpost:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What part of :justpost: are you having trouble with :argh:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Memento posted:

lol, so, twitter. Cracked is pivoting to twitter.
Its uber for comedy writers!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shai-Hulud posted:

Eh it kind of depends. They are trying to build a Tesla factory here in germany and, among valid environmental concerns, some people are mad because they are cutting down a shitton of trees to do it. The thing is though: Thats not a natural forest. Those trees have been planted to get harvested a couple of decades later. Theres no undergrowth or biodiversity in that forest, its just rows and rows of trees with not much else.
So yeah,cut those fuckers down. Theres never gonna be a natural forest there.
Cutting down wild forests because they are just standing around not making money is pretty hosed up though.
Ireland is slowly being buried under two particular brands of foreign spruce because they grow quick, make money, and turn the places they grow into barren carpets of needles that our native flora and fauna cannot live on. This is being done by both private farmers and a state body called Coillte that manages 7 percent of the country's land.

Recently the head of Coillte praised Sitka spruce as "the fresian cow of trees"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phanatic posted:

A plastic bucket with a couple of pool-noodle arms isn't a goddamn robot. It's just litter.
Not really disproving the anti-philly bias here guy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Croatoan posted:

While that may be true there's still certainly a bunch of dumb people out there. When swine flu was all over the news I bought a bunch of pork ribs because the market fell out and were <$.99/lb. Same thing happened in the late 90s with beef due to mad cow disease. Well with that one there was a risk but it was so statistically insignificant I didn't care. Cheap steak, hell yeah.
How appropriate, you post like a cow!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
More like oldpr, uh, full.

I'm bad at this

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brawnfire posted:

God, it's weird how for so long people just had no idea what "rap" implied beyond weirdly rhythmic singing
https://youtu.be/hk8LoHqHkGI

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyperhazard posted:

My husband was looking online for a cleaning product for woodworking. And that's how we discovered sawdust-scented soap.
That sounds pretty good tbh

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

zedprime posted:

You don't understand. It's logically consistent. After the climactic unveiling of the Ms Monopoly boardgame, there is a denouement where the young women receive education grants! It's about women inventors! Why are you still laughing?

*Ms Monopoly is a latte sipping venture capitalist and we are one step closer to proving we are in hell*
https://twitter.com/Stevehastweeted/status/1259277719159877633

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cleretic posted:

I forget which version exactly I saw it in (I want to say Doctor Who Monopoly, but my family had a few special edition Monopoly copies from around the 00s and early 10s), but I know there's ones that actually discourage certain well-known houserules for dragging the game out. I remember they specifically call out the Free Parking lottery.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that Hasbro as a whole went through a transition of 'okay let's try to make our game stronger by reminding people the sort of pace the game's meant to have--oh, people want it worse? gently caress it, then, we'll make it worse'.
Imagine if they put that much effort into making the game actually fun

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Anticheese posted:

For those of us who have stayed well away from Monopoly since we were eight and visiting our grandma's house, what's the free parking lottery rule? :shobon:
Whenever you pay money to the bank from chance cards etc. it goes to free parking instead. It's not a good rule that makes a bad game worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cleretic posted:

I don't actually think they could, at this point. People have internalized both the regular rules of the game, and whatever house rules they think are part of the regular rules, to the point where I'm not even sure how you could make changes to Monopoly and have them actually get adopted instead of ignored.

Somfin posted:

That would mean making a game that wasn't originally a parable about how capitalism makes people evil and hurts everyone's feelings, and more specifically how landlords are scum
The main reason Monopoly isn't fun is because you can quickly hit a situation where you've definitely lost but aren't out of the game yet, or be actually out of the game while there's still a bunch of game left to go. Which is, yes, the entire point of the game the game was based on. It would be interesting to see someone take monopoly and turn it into an actually fun game, since you'd need to either basically add some form of government oversight and progressive taxation system OR lean hard into the game's base concept and introduce alternate but thematic routes to victory, like bribing government officials to rezone your opponents' housing into industrial areas or whatever.