Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

Millennial brand shopping habits have a lot of companies making GBS threads their pants

This is a month old, but I would like to know more about this.

It's kind of amazing how quickly Groupon fizzled. For a shining moment they were the next big thing, but then they refused to sell to Google at around the same time most people realized that the 'deals' weren't all that amazing or they were getting inferior service compared to people paying full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

sitchensis posted:

If I want artisanal siracha flavoured chorizo sausage Mexcian bean sludge, I would go out and buy it at a place downtown that specializes in it because, again, I am broke as hell and soup is cheap but I don't want to eat cheap soup all the time.

This is pretty much how I think. If I'm going to splurge on something, it doesn't make sense to pay twice as much for "gourmet" convenience food when for a little bit more (and many times actually less) I can get real food that's ten times better.

Maybe this is one of the attitudes that confounds the corporate types, i.e. we like better food, but don't want better (more expensive) convenience food.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Americans decided that pig meat is basically Muslim kryptonite .

These people are dumb as gently caress, but I remember this really taking off mostly after a number of newspaper articles like this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/17665989/ns/business-us_business/t/target-shifts-muslims-who-wont-ring-pork/#.WIv195-IZpU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'd really like to try horse, but horse eating countries are rather inconveniently located on the other end of long flights.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I enjoy reading about how companies try and fail to market to millennials. While looking for something new, I found this NYT article about how Paul Newman is basically the same as Aunt Jemima or Uncle Ben.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/business/media/newmans-own-adjusts-to-reach-millennials.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

Also, changing the label to read 100% of Profits to Charity instead of All Profits to Charity is definitely going to make a difference.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Nimby County, home of Anytown, USA

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Opiates can keep you from pooping.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

I can't remember what it's for, a drug store or a drug itself, but there's a raido ad I hear at least once an hour with a sick guy coughing bad, and saying he has to call out sick tomorrow. One commercial has his wife asking, all pissy, if he wants to call out sick to his daughter's birthday. The other has a whiny kid whimpering about him missing a dance recital.

YES. YES loving YES. You should not be around loving kids if you are sick beyond the loving common cold! The flu, bronchitis? Yes, you loving call out sick! Or, no, wait, you go and expose a ton of people to whatever has you coughing nonstop. Great idea.

I think this is DayQuil.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

sarcastx posted:

This.

Oh also - updating my post from 2 years ago - Cadillac is still making concept cars that they have no intention to build, and can get hosed.

Though I think their design is slipping; this 2016 Escala concept looks OK but is a far cry from the gorgeous CIel from a few years ago

Do you know why they do this? Is it a prestige thing or are they testing out design theories? Maybe they're just keeping engineers employed so no one else hires them?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's nice that training wheels are available though. Maybe they don't have to stay failed!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tired Moritz posted:

Just to clarify, grocery shopping is just going to a grocery store, picking the stuff you want and paying and leaving, right? What mechanical skill do you need?

I can understand if people don't have time/old/disabled/really hate looking for parking but the act itself isn't difficult.

This is not me, but in my experience it's just a basic disconnect between knowing what you want and being able to conceptualize the groceries needed to realize it. There's also a very real element of choice overload. There's like 10 kinds of chicken and 20 kinds of sausage.

1. Whole
2. Split breasts
3. Thighs
4. Drumsticks
5. Party wings
6. Boneless skinless breasts
7. " Thighs
8-14: the above but "organic" or "free range"
15. Frozen boneless skinless breasts
16. Frozen Party wings
17. " Breast tenders
18. Unfrozen breast tenders
19. Capons
20. Cornish game
21. "Party pack" (usually thighs and drums)
22. From the butcher case
23. Premarinated

Those are just off the top of my head. If you have basically not seen food prepared, just that choice can be paralyzing and you don't even have anything else.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

So you're saying that someone could want to make some chicken breasts and get paralyzed with fear or whatever because chicken wings also exist? Maybe I'm reading this incredibly wrong though.

No, I'm saying if someone wants to transition from Hungry Man or Lean Cuisine it can be hard to know where to start, and much easier to not even try, so many people don't.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

JnnyThndrs posted:

I always hated grocery shopping(although I did it since I'm an adult)because the stores were always a crowded hellhole full of indecisive elderly blocking the aisles and screaming children begging Mommy for poo poo.

Since I started working a job with odd hours, I now go shopping at 6am or so and the place is empty, so I can ponder what ingredients I need and snap-decide on what I'll make for the week without being That Guy slowing everybody down. Really improved what I make for dinner, and would most likely help people who have issues with crowds.

Early morning shopping is great, but with the downside that the sell-by-date steaks usually haven't been marked down yet.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mandatory lesbian posted:

dang dude bread lasts me like 2 weeks, how many people live with you

BioEnchanted posted:

My main issue grocery shopping is that I live alone so I need to pay attention to use by dates (yes, I can taste the difference when past the date) to make sure I can finish it before it expires, like a loaf of bread has to have a date 4 days after I buy it, unless I'm using it on the day of purchase in which case it only needs to last the next 3 days. Similarly milk - sometimes I have a little left over that I can't use in time, so I need to be careful there too. 

That's a lot of bread to eat through in 4 days, though. We don't even buy bread if the date isn't a week in the future.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Who does this?

Who the gently caress whips out their credit card in their living room purely to gesture with it in conversion with a friend? I hate this woman and everything she stands for.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Peanut Butler posted:

me, I do that

fight me

in fifteen minutes behind the xi'an buffet on iowa street

no police

I surrender unconditionally. Do you leave your CC loose in your pocket, or are you adept at sleight of hand?

Also, I never want to eat ice cream again.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
A lot of people are actually very bad at pooping and will try anything to make it better.

Other than any kind of diet change.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I wasn't trying to disparage anyone, so much as point out it's trying to appeal to the "one weird trick" crowd, where you can spend an improbably small amount of money and solve a problem forever and completely.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Don't forget the extra fancy decorative wood option.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Phanatic posted:

Here we go again:

http://time.com/4682388/nasa-trappist-planets-names/

NASA asks the internet to name the 7 new planets just discovered.

Looking forward to the day when a huge new space telescope sends back pictures of planet Hitler Did Nothing Wrong.

Please, just not dwarves.

Edit: I thought I was being too cynical. :(

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 09:01 on Mar 3, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

spog posted:

Also promotes space travel since it reminds us how dull and unimaginative our fellow Earth-dwellers are.

They can go on the B-Ark.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think the Girl Scouts are diluting their brand to hell and back.

I've also seen ice cream, gum, and herbal tea.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Probably not a dumb move:

If you can't see it, it says "Hey kids, this is advertising." in the top left corner. I couldn't find the ad-bar that led me there, but it also had it. Kind of refreshing.

Those teeth are still nightmarish, though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think it's more What-If interesting more than Full-scale Retcon interesting. It kind of pees all over the legacy of his creators in a way that doesn't sit right, especially in this political climate.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

It almost makes you wish for a crying kid.

I would seriously be upset. It could be basically any musician and I would be upset. You don't do this poo poo with a captive audience that can't object and is trapped there for at least 4 hours.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

What the gently caress is a Coven Ant?!

edit:

I'm assuming something like this

Things like this are why I keep coming back.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Parasol Prophet posted:

They can, as long as the black actress never appears first.

Non-lovely joke answer: I cannot tell people what to not be offended by (no one can, really). I don't think the ad had that intention, but I also haven't been bombarded by similar ads for most of my life so my thoughts don't matter much.

Also it's been really interesting reading about the 5-second skip changing the way ads work and things like that-- I'd never considered it as a factor before.

I'm not sure sending the black actors to the back of the bus is going to go over any better.

Why are there no black actors in this commercial? Black erasure!

Why are there only black actors in this commercial? Separate but equal much?!

There's basically no way to win with people who are determined to be offended.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alaois posted:

it looks like you're the one looking to be offended here

Not at all! Sorry if I came across that way.

After any conversation I tend to agonize over how I might have said the wrong thing or whether I could have been misunderstood. Often, my brain reminds me of stupid things I said from as far back as 25 years. Every silver lining has a cloud.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SerialKilldeer posted:

Wow, it's the ice cream equivalent of "The Half-Hour News Hour."

Also, "ketchup dough"? :barf:

I think it's cookie dough. People made fun of Kerry for having married a Heinz, of the ketchup company Heinz's.

I'm more concerned about the poop on that navy guy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

I need to turn in my nerd card because I don't get why Cyborg is there and not Martian Manhunter.

I would kill for a loving movie done like Batman The Animated Series.

Martian Manhunter is green, not black.

Whatshisname at DC had to have his perfect Aryan Green Lantern, Hal Jordan.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This is “Del Toro was supposed to do a Haunted Mansion for Disney” levels of bummer.

This is a gift to humanity. No matter how good the movie was, Disney would have shoved some actor into the Haunted Mansion three different places and ruined it forever.

gently caress Jack Sparrow.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Waffleman_ posted:

They did make a Haunted Mansion movie, though.

It had Eddie Murphy and was very bad, which is why you don't remember it.

I'm aware of the movie, and am forever grateful it sucked as much as it apparently did.

I don't even mind Jack Sparrow being there, but every loving character has to keep saying his goddamned name.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

dissss posted:

I don't know anything about comic books so I looked this dude up on Wikipedia. It says:

Maybe they mean 'prolific'?

I really liked his run on JSA before they signed the whole universe over to him.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've only seen Smeg in the Great British Bake Off. They don't really sell them in the US, and we just did fridge shopping.

Bad-ish advertising: Blue Buffalo Wild Cat.

Commercial shows pictures of lynx. Tells the viewer that the lynx is the ancestor of your housecat. :eng99:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah, that bugged me too. I mean, on one level I can't really blame them, since the wild ancestor of the domestic cat looks...

...exactly like a generic-rear end cat.

The last time the lynx and the cat had a common ancestor was 7 million years ago. Which was about when humans first started to diverge from what would become chimps.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Most people are using far too much detergent.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Jamba juice used to do daily discounts. One day a free boost, another free upsizing.

I used to go practically 3 days a week, because there was a deal so it was OK.

They stopped, then I stopped.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Are you thirsty for chicken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mostlygray posted:

When I first saw that episode, it was October in MN. A perfect time for Haralson apples at the orchard in Jordan that we go to.

The ad literally made me hungry for apples and then I went and bought 5 lbs of Haralsons and 5 lbs of Crab apples. Everyone was happy. My kids love the Crabs from Minnesota Harvest orchard.

I legitimately thought that "crab apples" meant that they were inedible until this moment.

My grandparents lived next to an experimental farm and sometimes they were given like a bushel of apples to be neighborly. Some of those were amazing and I sometimes wonder if they have a real name now.

Memento posted:

YOU LIKE ICE CREAM.
YOU LIKE ICE CREAM.
YOU LOVE IT.
YOU CANNOT RESIST ICE CREAM.
TO RESIST IS HOPELESS.
YOUR EXISTENCE IS MEANINGLESS WITHOUT ICE CREAM.

The older I get the more I appreciate what this show was trying to tell me.