Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

pentyne posted:

The second is plain hosed up because they are encouraging people to sexually harass women not involved with the campaign at all. There must not have been a single woman or lawyer in the room when they came up with that idea

Nerds don't need the encouragement they just do that poo poo. I was at a con once where there was a mediated discussion over the controversial topic "Cosplay is not consent." Hell one time I was walking through the vendor hall and heard one of the girls freaking out on a guy because she was trying to do her job and teach someone to play a boardgame and he wouldn't leave her alone.

edit: Here's the picture of the event info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember Geico had a radio commercial where the gecko is going on about Virginia ham. I've eaten uncounted pounds of ham from rural farmer's markets and church fundraisers, and even helped cure the ham from a freshly-slaughtered pig, but neither I nor any other Virginian I've asked knows the difference between Virginia ham and other ham.

According to a quick google search it's a style of curing ham that's done in Virginia so it would make sense if Virginians don't call it "Virginia ham"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They taste the same.

And they're both bad.

Look at this guy and his wrong opinions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have no idea how it would work but wouldn't that also be a way to gauge if there's interest in an area?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sappo569 posted:

I can't remember too many details because I was about 11 or 12 at the time Mcdonalds had their pizza, but I remember foaming at the mouth if I knew dad was bringing it home

They had two sizes I think, large and personal size, which was actually a pretty decent size for one person.

Plus this was the late 80's early 90's, people didn't mind waiting 11 minutes I guess, not like today where people throw a tantrum after waiting 30 seconds

Hey man. They've been waiting 10 minutes for their food and that's unacceptable.

You aren't allowed to call them out on it by checking the receipt either. Both customers and management get mad when you do that.

And never point out grilled chicken takes almost 8 minutes to cook and they ordered it fresh. Because down that path lies madness.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nerdz posted:

Candy flavored Vodka? Who are you marketing this to? How about changing the name to Happy Vodka or Vodka Kids?

The same people that Pinnacle Vodka markets too? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle_vodka

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Also, brb, gonna invent a flask shaped like a smartphone to pitch to Shark Tank (I'm sure it's been done).

A smartphone flask with random liquor in it. It would be like getting a pack of trading cards. You buy a flask and inside it is a liquor. It could be something from Kamchatka gas station vodka up to something high end like Johnny Walker Blue. I stand by you would sell crazy amounts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

That seems like the perfect ingredient for a Bloody Mary/Caesar. (Oh god I want a Bloody Mary now)

Also, I had no idea Jelly Belly had alcohol flavors. WTF? How does Joe Camel get the smackdown for making smoking seem cool to kids, but a candy company can essentially say "hey kids! Don't margaritas taste good?"

Because you can order alcohol free margaritas? You can't really get tobacco/nicotine free smokes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sleeveless posted:

Europe both has stronger laws re: advertising to children and higher rates of alcoholism so I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

I think the point is "LOL AMERICA STUPID AMMIRIGHT?!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I had never heard of tribute.wmv so I googled it.

quote:

tribute.wmv is a very well known internet video. to deny it a reference on the yakety sax page is a travesty.

I added a reference to it in the entry.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

No no, don't gloss over this. Explain how electing someone who is slightly more conservative than his predecessors is "just as bad" as murdering 300,000 people, many of whom were raped to death.

Wickedhate was pro-gamers in gamergate. Just let it go.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pondex posted:

So the Impact font is a thing outside of the internet now?

That feels a little icky somehow.

It has been for years

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I love pay services having ads and commericals. Wasn't one of the initial main draws of satellite radio no commercial interruption?

I like Hulu where it has commercials always and forever. Have a free account? You can only watch these shows and they have commercials. Have a paid account? You can watch all shows with commercials. At least give the free shows no commercials.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jastiger posted:

Good call on that one. I like craft beers and enjoy trying different kinds. I don't like being told I"m a dickhead for not drinking Budweiser because its "cheap". So yeah, gently caress them.

I have to consider the commercials with Kate Upton for that Game of War bad with money in advertising but I"m not sure if everyone else would agree. Their commercial makes it out to be this huge game the likes of DRAGON AGE INQUISITION with big ol titties and dragons and poo poo.

Then you look at the game and its this little F2P thingie with 16 bit lookin graphics with "energy" cool downs.

Bait and Switch much?

Also, I am not sure if I brought it up here, but I'm going to go ahead and assume anyone driving a Chevy Colorado is a complete rear end in a top hat based on the commercials they were pitching.
Oh poo poo look at this human being and his fuel efficient vehicle. Better get the HUGE TRUCK YEAHH BACK IN BLACK.

Well to be fair most of the people I've run into that enjoy craft beers are total dickheads anyway so they aren't wrong.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tracula posted:

Every time I see four panels in a 2x2 square I always instantly think of Loss.jpg. The internet has broken my brain.

Goons have been making fun of loss for seven years. I think the rest of the internet has moved on now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fatkraken posted:

here's a dumb move in marketing: not getting a new website

http://www.burntimpressions.com/

I'm in 1999!

$70 for goatbread? I'm down. :goatsecx:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Awesome Welles posted:

This is how I feel about the ads from the Honda Civic "Today is Pretty Great" campaign that played every loving time I watched a hockey game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFBxyNJaFCw

loving cringe-worthy every time.

What do kids like? Oh I know, the world sucks but there's cool stuff! Like long beards! So epic! XD And cartoons, let's put an Adventure Time clip in!!!! And let's have a kooky "dance break!" So much epic win you guys!!!!!!!!!! XD

You say this as a joke but being around young 20 somethings anywhere confirms those are actually things they enjoy. Except maybe the dance break.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Awesome Welles posted:

As a 20-something who routinely hangs out with other 20-somethings, everyone I've talked to thinks it's the most forced loving thing imaginable.

(anecdotal, of course, but still....)

Same with me and my 20-something friends. But spend time in a mall or a campus common area and you'll hear people say "fail" "epic" and see at least one person who has that mustache (you know the one. The generic archetypal mustache that's become A Thing to put on clothes, books, bags, even pacifiers for babies.) and notice that giant beards are a thing.

Edit: also anecdotal. And I do live in Ohio which is notoriously poo poo. So I might just live in a shittier region.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Trent posted:

Not all providers/plans are available in all areas or affordable to all people. I'm not sure if you realize that.

Goons never realize things like this. Everyone lives in places with the same things and has the same income.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Does Taco Bell have a second demographic?

It's hipper than most other fast food places so they have that crowd of young people.

Although I find even that group overlaps with the bitter group. My girlfriends sister was on a rant about how terrible ramen is for you (which is true) and then in the same rant mentioned Taco Bell quesaritos as being delicious and she loves eating them. Fun fact: it takes 3 packs of Maruchan ramen to equal one quesarito.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Do they not ask you when you get your photo id/license if you want to be a donor? All you have to do here is just go "sure" and they click a button making you an organ donor.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

In this case they probably will, because it's fewer button presses. The chicken bacon ranch gets its own button, so you don't have to press the "add bacon" button. The real fortunate thing though is they upgraded their registers in the past year, so you don't have to worry about the cashier forgetting to press the discount buttons because it's automatic now.

McDonalds had my favorite upgrade. When I worked there in high school the registers were all done with words that required reading. A few years back I was hard up for a job and went back to working there and that system was replaced with one that's 100% pictures.

So now when they take forever to ring things in and mess up it's even sadder.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The small town next to my small town has an independent gas station instead of the big chain station mine has. The guy who runs it carries baby toys, wine, food, liquor, smokes, coffee, jewelry, decorative house statues, glass pipes, and those roses which he admits is "for people to smoke crack with."

He also has a super fat fluffy cat that just walks around the store.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is what we city folk refer to as a bodega.

That's a supermarket around these parts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Croccers posted:

I'd get basically nothing if I trade my 2DS without the charger, but if I trade it in with the charger I'd need to buy a new charger and the cost of the charger would eat the trade-in price so what's the point I'll just still with the 2DS, whatever.

Nintendo doesn't want you trading in your things is the point. Just keep your 2ds and get those sweet sweet street passes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, gently caress these nerds that play videogames :jerkbag:

If the 3DS thread is any indication all Nintendo has to do is put a pretty picture on a 3DS and goons will rush out to buy it. Some will trade in an old DS but others will go "can you believe GameStop wouldn't let me stand in the store and do a system transfer? How dare they!?" And keep the old one. Surely these people have a charger sitting around. Hell I have three and only owns a 3DS and a 3DSxl. I'm not sure where the third came from because I haven't bought any. It really isn't as big a deal as goons are making it out to be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

aerion111 posted:

Counterpoint: There's currently approximately six mobiles in the house at the moment, plus at least twice that in mobiles that got lost or destroyed.
We know the location of three chargers. (E: Obviously, we got a charger with each new phone)

I'd prefer to get a brand new charger with every handheld, thank-you-very-much, because I'm inevitably going to lose it.

Have you tried not being a child and learning to take care of your things?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

aerion111 posted:

Hey, if they just keep giving me chargers, I don't need to take care of anything :colbert:

True but man c'mon at least try to keep them at a 1:1 ratio of working devices/chargers!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This has never happened once since microUSB and you loving know it.

Unless you're an Apple household, then god help you.

You're right I have four or five microusb chargers in my room, one in my car, two at work and I don't even know how many I've lost. The things I have that charge from microusb are my phone, tablet, and the ps4 controllers. It's far more realistic in the world of microusb to have at least two per working device.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Monkey posted:

Crosspostin' from the Schadenfreude thread.

Some guy wanted a site built and sent in an exact request.

http://imgur.com/gallery/feLXn2X

Site is down, here's the mirror: http://web.archive.org/web/20140326095226/http://arvanitakis.com/en/

It may be the best site on the internet.

I can't view it from my phone. I don't know when the last time I saw a page explode into "plugin not compatible" warnings

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm going to start ordering my Starbucks and then adding "gently caress the whites. You feel me?"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

AlmightyBob posted:

The real problem is Starbucks is basically telling racists to rant at barely above minimum wage workers

This right here. At least since I live in Bumfuck, Ohio it'll be racists telling racists racist things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

This is amazing.

"The teenager's comment that flying a Harrier Jet to school 'sure beats the bus' evinces an improbably insouciant attitude toward the relative difficulty and danger of piloting a fighter plane in a residential area." this statement is an actual court record. I love the US.

I can't find the link but the lawsuit between Gaiman and McFarland has the judge saying "kick-rear end warrior angels" in it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You guys are really mad about dumb marketing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cage posted:

Thread:"Post about ______"
Poster 1: "_____"
Poster 2: "___________"
Poster 3: "______"
Len: "u guys mad about ______"

Look at this guy, noticing things and posting about it. Thanks for posting, post champion.

I do what I can. Just seems ridiculous how much people are bitching about that in here. Although it's less than the "shake a hand get McDonalds" fantasy stories that would never happen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Besesoth posted:

Yes, how dare people discuss dumb moves in marketing in the dumb moves in marketing thread.

There's a difference between discussing dumb moves and wanting a CEO to get harassed by phone every night.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

A couple years ago I worked at a small specialty coffee shop where a macchiato was a shot of espresso with just a little bit of smooth, steamed milk. (This is apparently the traditional version of the drink? I don't know, I'm not as into the whole coffee thing as my coworkers were.) The amount of people who came in asking for a "venti caramel macchiato" drove me completely batshit. We didn't even have 20 ounce cups. I generally tried to be nice and either (a) get them their stupid caramel latte or (b) explain the difference between a Starbucks macchiato and a traditional macchiato before doing (a) but most of my coworkers preferred to pour them one of our macchiatos and get all smug and self-righteous when the customer complained.

Actually come to think of it my coworkers were the assholes there. Still. Just call it a latte Starbucks, christ.

We have a local shop around here and every time I've been in the employees are assholes. I think it's part of the charm? They are in the art district of a shithole Ohio city so maybe it's their gimmick.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Choco1980 posted:

Ed DeBevic's is a very popular tourist destination in Chicago. All footage I've seen from it makes me think more obnoxious than rude, which is not a reason to go imho. Funny enough, my dad likes going to "Dick's Last Resort", another "rude-ness themed" restaurant, which wikipedia describes as "obnoxious" rather than rude, but that my dad describes as like going to a dive bar where you are clearly not welcome, and they go out of your way not only to be rude, but outright humiliating. He's told stories of people just walking in off the street, maybe to get directions or whatever, and clearly looking like they had no idea what kind of place it was and being deeply offended. Still doesn't sound like a place I'd enjoy though.

We ate there in Indianapolis it was pretty solid food but my server wasn't anywhere near as assholeish as I expected him to be. He brought me my margarita and less than two minutes later it was gone. No comments from him about it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

People think Hungry Howies is good? Around here (NE Ohio) it's the joke pizza that's barely below Dominos.

Although there was an area pretty close to me that was excited to get Dominos so we may be broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The pizza hut near a college I went to had just a beeping for their hold noise. Beep beep beep beeeep.

It helped make my decision to never have pizza hut when I lived in the dorms.