Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

As far as I can tell, the Australian government periodically picks a meat out of a hat and plugs it with a massive advertising campaign for the year. This time around it's pork and the ad directly compares it to other meats eg "slimmer than beef". Of course since they've plugged beef over pork in the past and will again in the future it just comes off as blatant hypocrisy.

I think those campaigns are run by industry groups, not the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

It's spreadable chocolate in a jar, what...what did she think was healthy about it?

I swear that "healthiness" was part of its marketing some time ago. It's obviously never been healthy but there was a period, perhaps before the popular opinion of sugar changed recently, where they had the balls to claim that on TV

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

Count the mistakes.

Nobody's eye line makes any sense, esp. the foreground kid

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea people didn't know about the Docs laces thing.
I thought maybe it was more of a UK think but the SPLC has it on their Racist Skinhead Glossary, and the Anti Defamation League

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have heard that the Volkswagen Golf is the gay man's car. No idea if that's true though

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

There's a New Zealand band named Shihad that changed their name briefly between 2001 and 2004 to Pacifier, because they got their name from the Dune movie where they misheard the word "jihad". Then they realised they were pandering to American nationalism and changed it back.

This may not be true but I heard the punk band Frenzal Rhomb changed their name to Shihad to take the piss after Shihad changed their name. Funny anyway and seems like something they would do

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

How did they mess it up this time?

The general consensus is that it has some amazing visuals but feels like it was written by a committee

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

I feel like that describes a ton of movies these days but I don't want to sound like a boomer

I've gotten sick of all the superhero movies, though.

I'm the same way, I pretty don't watch movies and I hate superheroes
Yes I'm a joyless, stuck up weirdo

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A male shiela is a bloke

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

On the other hand people who dont know that specific reference can interpret it in “probably” the way it was intended.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt but my interpretation is that now that Chauvin has been convicted and justice served Floyd can now breathe/rest easy.

I thought his response of “ i learned something and need to learn more” was pretty dang perfect.

That's what I thought the tweet meant

I thought the uproar was because it was a sports team being woke or something to do with 4/20. Didn't know that cops had used the phrase

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would hazard a guess that a majority of people don't know what the deal is with 14 or 88

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

For a second I thought you were linking to some story about people who think lead paint is better "because it was good enough for my parents" or some crazy poo poo

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

And meanwhile every single person I know just shook their head and said "license the loving Cheesymite brand off Baker's Delight and be done with it you colossal morons".

Yeah but Baker's Delight would have asked for an absolute fortune I imagine.
And Kraft head office in America prolly wouldn't go for that

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't shake my belief that food delivery for able bodied people is a bad thing for everyone involved
I know there are reasons why it's beneficial for some people and it's probably just my lovely conservative opinion but I hate it

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I also have some bullshit Michael Pollan idea that pressing a button to have food delivered is "disrespectful" to food or something. Like it's spiritually harmful and food is sacred. I have weird ideas about food and it's preparation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In Australia I've seen ads for bananas, avocados, pork, lamb, beef, red meat in general, paid for by the relevant industry group

I'm sure there are more commodities that had a widespread advertising campaign that I can't remember