Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Parasol Prophet posted:

Lots of women's plus-size lines seem to do this. Off the top of my head I can think of Torrid, Maurice's, Target's plus section, and I think maybe Lane Bryant and Old Navy on shirts and stuff. They start at 0 and go up to 4 or 5, because I guess we ladies simply can't abide buying clothes with a number higher than 16 on them or something.

Of course, they then have to put up signs explaining the weird sizing system like "Sz 0 = 14/16; Sz 1 = 18/20," etc. So that kind of defeats the purpose a little.

In this case the number is literally the number of X's on a conventional L/XL/XXL/etc. scale. Chico's 0-4 is more like XS/S/M/L/XL though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

Trust me, they are all like this. Everyone I know who owns a truck has completely bought into the marketing. They drive trucks because they're tough! They post pictures of their dream trucks on Facebook with a "gently caress YEAH HUGE TOUGH rear end TRUCK!" And they're so brand obsessed that they also post about [competitors] "weak pathetic little toy truck". This goes for men and women alike.

I love driving through the snow and seeing all the macho oversized trucks daintily skirting around slush puddles. :allears:

Backweb posted:

E: apparently only whites eat expensive bagged soup.

Probably accurate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sitchensis posted:

Yo campbells

If you actually told me that I could use your soup to make things other than, you know, soup, I would probably be more inclined to buy it. Like throw some tuna, rice, veggies and condensed mushroom soup into a baking dish, stick it in the over, and you can have a TUNA CASSEROLE that is good for LEFTOVERS (though I'd probably switch out when I realize I could get the same results with the even-cheaper in-store brand soup).

You know why that would work on me? Because I am loving broke as hell and soup is cheap but I don't want to eat cheap soup all the time. If I want artisanal siracha flavoured chorizo sausage Mexcian bean sludge, I would go out and buy it at a place downtown that specializes in it because, again, I am broke as hell and soup is cheap but I don't want to eat cheap soup all the time.

This is really the core of the issue--it's not a generational shift so much as it is an economic one. After two consecutive generations of rising prosperity, millenials have less spending power on average than our parents. We aren't moving out to the suburbs en masse the way Boomers and Xers did, not so much because we're special snowflakes who are breaking the mold and changing the world but because in a lot of cases we can't afford to. And since it's not longer the thing that everybody is doing, even people that can afford it are thinking twice about it, which creates all kinds of differences in how we spend our money. How long and how much we continue to buck the trend depends a lot on how long it takes our generation to scrabble its way back to affluence.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

This is pretty much how I think. If I'm going to splurge on something, it doesn't make sense to pay twice as much for "gourmet" convenience food when for a little bit more (and many times actually less) I can get real food that's ten times better.

Maybe this is one of the attitudes that confounds the corporate types, i.e. we like better food, but don't want better (more expensive) convenience food.

See above. Better (more expensive) and more convenient was exactly what consumers wanted in previous generations where most people worked longer, got paid more for it, and commuted further to get to it. Now that we're winding up broke and underemployed at 30 it's harder to get people to pay premium prices for lovely but convenient products.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

In general is there some sort of parasite or mental illness that makes advertisers think they're doing society a favor? I can accept the subtly, trickery or maybe some sleezyness of advertising, but to try to pretend it's something people like just seems nuts.

Either they're sociopaths and they're lying through their teeth, or they're not sociopaths and are deluding themselves as a coping mechanism so that they can justify acting like sociopaths.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

What was that newspaper comic that had a week-long shitfit about cup sizes in small and large? The protagonist went on and on and on and on about how those sizes couldn't exist without a medium to compare to? Or something like that. I feel the series should be posted here.

I thought it was the other way around, where they were offering "medium" and "large" but no small (this was actually a thing with fast food places for a while, but naturally I think that most of them had gone back to small/medium/large a couple of years before the infamous comic strip meltdown.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MindlessHavok posted:

I am actually curious why it is that way. Is it because they had a small and discontinued it or is it some mental thing?

I guess this is pointed more at McDonald's than anything else. Pretty sure their sizes are M/L/XL (or supersize). Why not just call them S/M/L? Is it because people believe that bigger = better and will tend to order the even "larger" size?

I believe at one point S/M/L/XL was standard, but that needlessly complicated the menu and added logistical overhead. I think they dropped "small" because their target audience does indeed believe bigger = better, plus as mentioned if you give people 3 options they tend to be drawn to the middle one. So by making large the "default" option they get to sell more fries and soda, and by sticking with M/L/XL instead of just re-naming the larger sizes S/M/L they maintain continuity in their menu (so that people don't go "hey why is the medium suddenly $0.30 more?!")

I'm pretty sure they dropped back down to S/M/L a while back, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Its definitely not a money thing at McDonalds because all their soda sizes are one price.

Huh, I thought that was a newer development but a quick search shows they were experimenting with it 5 years ago. I'm not exactly sure when they started moving back towards S/M/L so you could be right.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's hard to call Joe's Crab Shack bad with marketing; they're aggressively targeting the "horrible wastes of human flesh" demographic and succeeding. At some level someone realized there was a niche market for terrible tacky poo poo and people who love it so much that they will pay exhorbitant prices to keep it afloat, enough to make up for whoever gets driven away by the over-the-top obnoxiousness and lovely food.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lap-Lem posted:

I've never been anywhere in middle America that had a chain place that didn't have twice as many mom and pops.

You're thinking about actual towns, not just lovely exurbs with oversized cardboard houses for people to park their oversized SUVs that they commute on the oversized roads with.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is such a bullshit way of thinking. There are obviously other options besides keeping them as caged performing animals or bunging them back in the sea and hoping for the best.

I think the point is that the other options are all massively expensive, and thus less likely to happen. I dunno, I hold out hope that someone could put together a not completely terrible orca habitat and keep it afloat on a combination of donations, federal grants, and charging people to hang out around an orca habitat and rubber neck. You know, like how decent zoos operate, as opposed to lovely exploitative ones do.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think trying to launch an upscale artisan-style menu for a restaurant whose primary virtue is being able to deliver large quantities of grease-soaked bread for cheap is probably bad marketing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Specifically companies like Safeway will have up to 3 store brands, one super discount one, one normal store brand, and one upscale. But usually all those hot dogs will taste the same and come from the same plant.

Yup. Some people will happily pay more for the same product just to avoid being perceived as cheap/poor, so why not take their money?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

On the subject of Yellow Pages: screw those guys. I used to work for a county-run performing arts theatre, and they listed us under "theaters" (eg Loews, AMC --- movie theaters) for years, and we never even paid them (and that poo poo's expensive, we're talking several hundreds of dollars last time I saw their going rate).

The advertising invoices you see for hundreds of dollars are bogus directory publishers trying to scam you by implying that you're paying them for your local yellow page listing, when actually they only publish useless directories that don't get sent out to the general public (some don't bother printing any at all, since they're banking on people assuming they're responsible for the phone books the phone company sends out.) You probably get listed in your local yellow pages through your phone company.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

This is really only remotely true about Ross and Rachel, the rest were generally good people and holy poo poo I'm posting about Friends now

No they were all actually pretty terrible. Maybe not quite Seinfeld bad but they were not good people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I am so triggered by the obvious racial undertones of this add, like literally shaking

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Most of the big truck stop chains are reliably pretty great, but there's usually a fast food place attached or at the very most across the street so it's kind of a moot point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rondette posted:

Also the page where she gives style tips for having a night in. With her partner who is called Aubrey.

Featuring homemade pizza kits that are more expensive than ordering pizza! Having a lifestyle mommy blogger hawk your overpriced poo poo is probably a good marketing move though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rondette posted:

I like making homemade pizza much more than having store bought ones but I don't really feel the need to crow about it on a blog.

$10 for pizza dough and sauce for one pizza, though? You can buy Whole Foods fancy specialty dough and sauce for less than half that, let alone making it from scratch which takes ~20 minutes of work and costs maybe two bucks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The big problem is that Nintendo just didn't have any big titles at all. They showed a dozen games that are all going to quietly make a tidy profit, but no blockbusters and nothing that will drive console sales.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The discrepancy is partly because Shakespeare was something of a transitional figure. The theatre before his time was really, really trashy, with acting troupes basically being about on par with buskers. Shakespeare and his contemporaries managed to elevate it into an art form that the upper class could patronize freely without being ashamed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Their main accomplishment was proving that all the regulations they hate and claimed squelched creativity existed for a drat good reason.

"Creativity" and "innovation" in financial services pretty much exclusively mean "finding ways to fool people into giving you money for nothing." Bundling up untenable subprime mortgages that are ultimately worthless and selling them as a reasonable investment vehicle? How innovative!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Turns out if you dose yourself with stimulants round the clock it stops responding, who knew

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sweeperbravo posted:

Oh my god. :stonk:

Was it a 5 Guys? When I went there for the first time recently that about describes their menu. Actually I don't think they even had shakes.

5 guys has a pretty small menu but they have a dozen toppings to pick from right on the menu, you don't need to know the secret handshake if you want something fancier than a plain cheeseburger.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

There are some exceptions to that - house brand tinned baked beans and spaghetti are absolutely terrible where I am (it's not like then brand name stuff is gourmet food or anything but it is a lot better)

A tin of baked beans and spaghetti sounds terrible, I don't know what you were expecting.

(:haw:)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

About 18 months or so ago I got a new phone, a Motorola Photon Q, because it was the best phone on the market to still have a pull out Qwerty keypad. And man does it suuuuuck and is out of date majorly. I hate touch screens but I'm going to have to end up using one next phone I'm sure.

I had a pull out keyboard ~4 years ago when they were already antiquated and I loved it. When that one bit the dust a couple years ago I had to get some monstrous behemoth phone just to have any hope of typing effectively on the touch screen. I'm pretty sure this phone is larger than my old phone with the keyboard pulled out, and it's still shittier to type on.

Also i just decided to try out this swipe thing. Amazingly i haven't hit any spelling thrips... whoops, spoke top soon. Haha, double letters are just as much of a clattering as i would have expected. Also it still takes way longer.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The father-daughter dance at a wedding, as a tradition, is a way of saying goodbye. "Now that you have another man in your life, you don't need me to take care of you anymore," and "Thanks for everything dad but I'm an adult now."

Which is all well and good, but somehow it's generally accepted to pick songs explicitly about romantic love/lust :gonk:

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Sep 10, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

Plebes. I get Enrique to murmur endearments to my loved ones.

Well, this made me take a look so it's probably a pretty good move in marketing. Still a bad move in prose writing, though.

Amazon sample of THE FOLLOWERS posted:

Longstreet didn't care about victory. He only wanted peace. no, that wasn't quite true. He wanted an end to the dying. The thought was always in his mind, low and monotonous, like a monk's murmuring devotions. The sooner the dying stopped, the sooner they all might resume living.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
hashtag I am a 50 year old marketing exec who does not know what a twitter is

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I don't get the big deal about pulled pork or any pulled meat. It ruins the cut and is just flavourless stringy rubbish most of the time.

Freshly made pulled pork is glorious, but mass produced/ready made stuff is indeed pretty dire. There's a certain amount of cargo-culting that goes on where people (particularly outside the US, but also in parts of the US that don't have their own barbecue culture) see "hey pulled pork is pretty popular" and just shred up a bunch of meat in sauce without understanding how pulled pork actually got to be that way.

Proper pulled pork is made from big, tough, fatty, garbage cuts of meat cooked at low heat for long periods (often up to 12 hours for traditional smoked barbecue, and even quick and dirty crockpot/roast recipes will cook for 6-8 hours.) Cooking for that long breaks down all of the stringy connective tissue that makes low quality cuts of meat such tough, chewy nightmares, rendering it into gelatin. This makes pulled pork incredibly flavorful since it is, in essence, bathed in concentrated pork stock the entire time it's cooking. It's also probably the most tender meat you will ever eat since literally all the connective tissue is all gone, bringing new meaning to the term "fork tender." It's not shredded just as an affectation, it's shredded because it's so soft and yielding it falls apart under its own weight. If you need a sharper implement than a spoon to shred it, you've done it terribly wrong.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Oct 19, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wedemeyer posted:

Isn't Nintendo troubles with modernization a cultural thing? Young devs and employees suggest newer things [read: things every other company else is doing] but the older Executives shoot down the ideas and that's that. You're not suppose to question the boss due to them being older or your superior and so things stagnate.

Or maybe I'm talking out my rear end.

Nintendo has always had an odd mix of innovation and stubborn conservatism. Their primary strategy has always been about taking last-gen technology that's cheap and reliable and finding new ways to use it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I love the people in the giant 4 wheel drive diesel trucks who swerve to avoid puddles on the road. Dude you're driving a giant gently caress off truck that's meant for rugged work and you won't get it wet? What the gently caress?

This is the greatest thing :allears:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

Even though the quality of the models/ animations/ textures look like they'd be at home in a first wave gamecube game, I'm pretty sure that's from the nba game that just came out like a week ago that goes for $100+microtransactions

What are you talking about? The verisimilitude is breathtaking, it really looks like he's dying inside as he delivers his lines.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The only thing I can think of is that someone's performance is being measured by new account openings and they're trying to juice it, because that's just absolutely bizarre by any logic (anyone with enough brainworms to think to enforce the gender description on the shoes also probably thinks shopping for the family is a woman's job.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Munger maintains the small living quarters would coax residents out of their rooms and into the mason's workshops, where they could build artifact sandstone doors decorated with rings of dolomite that menace with spikes of calcite.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
chipotle supports America's hard-working e.coli farmers :patriot:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We bought our first house earlier this year so there have been a lot of tools and stuff we've had to buy. The algorithm does an excellent job of serving up ads for things that we just bought. Not even general types of things, the specific item. If we just ordered a DeWalt power drill it doesn't serve up ads for competing power drills or other DeWalt tools, it gives us a week's worth of ads for DeWalt power drills. It's so specific as to be worthless.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

It's really not trademark law itself, it's just aversion to litigation. Trademark law does not give you control in how your brand is represented. It doesn't mean that someone has to get your permission before they put your product in a film. They only need to do that if there's some substantial risk that the viewer of the film would associate the film with the trademark, like in this case if there's a likelihood of confusion in the minds of the viewers as to the source of the good. I mean, it's not like every film that shows a car has to get approval from the maker of the car.

A bunch of years ago, Caterpillar sued Disney for trademark infringement based on eight minutes in the film George of the Jungle 2 because the villain's henchmen were driving around on Caterpillar bulldozers. No trademark infringement there whatsoever, and Caterpillar lost soundly.

A tricky case. On the one hand, having a product appear in George of the Jungle 2 should definitely be considered an actionable injury. On the other hand, in order to prove damages you have to establish that anyone saw George of the Jungle 2.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

this could all be avoided if the food industry would adopt a scientific capsaicin-based rating instead of subjective terms like "spicy" or "one out of three peppers"

unfortunately if food so much as existed in the same room as a bell pepper at some point and it doesn't get labeled spicy they will get review bombed by angry midwesterners upset that the restaurant tried to poison their babies with dangerous spices, why wasn't there a warning in the menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
my mom once told me "watch out, I put a dash of Worcestershire in this so it might be spicy"