Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CobiWann posted:

My wife gets HorrorBlock and it's been worthwhile - a horror movie themed t-shirt, a Vinyl Pop, some trinket like a zombie door stop or stickers, a copy of Rue Morgue magazine, and a cheesy straight-to-DVD movie.

We cancelled LootCrate and one other two or three months in, but we've had HorrorBlock for a year now.

Yea I understand wanting the more 'specialized' crate services a lot more. Like, yea that actually sounds up my alley too, because I'm a horror dork so a box with a lovely horror movie and some trinkets every month is something I know I can actively use because I and/or my friends can at least get drunk and watch the movie. Same with stuff like the international snack/candy boxes, I can at least eat dumb Japanese candy and share the ones I'm not into and all.

But the broad 'nerd' stuff never really hit me well. I got LootCrate for a bit and then stopped because, yea there's only so many graphic 'nerd culture' t-shirts a man needs. It's the most broad possible grab at the absolute most popular things. There's nothing wrong with popular but if I want, say, Game of Thrones magnets I can just get those at near any store with magnets, there's no factor of 'if only I had a box sent to me to do this for me!'.

It feels like there's a bad relationship there, the more 'useful' a box is chances are the more niche and focused it is, but at the same time the more niche it is the less people go 'oh I need that'. Still somehow there's always new ones starting. A trading card game youtube channel I like started their own box of cards they send you, there was a (now gone I think) sports collectibles box for baseball and other sports. Are boxes our new weird bubble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
subscribe to my new service, Noidbox, for only 15.99 a month you'll be sent a box of hot Noid gear perfect for the Noidhead in your life.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bongwizzard posted:

I do two of the fishing lure boxes and while I am always on the verge of quitting them often enough I get something cool that was totally off my radar so I keep subscribed. But, despite there being a million lures out there, I see how eventually I will be too "advanced" for them.

huh I didn't know there was a fishing box service, I could probably get some use out of at least a month or two of that if the price is ok, got a link?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bongwizzard posted:

The two I have are Mystery Tackle Box and Lucky Tackle Box. They both run the range from awesome to meh and iirc both do a deal where the first box is $5. MTB is much easier to cancel then LTB, but both are small companies and have good CS.

My main issue with both is that often most of the value in each box is a crankbait, which I don't really use, so I end up sitting on them for months then selling them all.

Nice. See this is what I think these boxes should be for, dumb specialty stuff like this. The broad 'geek culture' and 'snack' stuff always seems to suffer from the whole 'jack of all trades master of none' thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mierenneuker posted:

It really is a case of the more you've seen of them the less appealing they get. It feels weird to say this about a piece of merch, but there's no heart in their creation

Yea I got a couple way back when they were novel and it was cute but now that I've seen them everywhere possible they're just a generic blob of exact same figures

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

It's like the campaign a few years ago where Domino's was basically "Between you and us, our pizza was loving garbage. But it's not anymore!"

This was my favorite ad campaign in a long time. Just a progression of different people at a Domino's being all 'guys I swear to god we KNOW our pizza was hot trash before, but we're fixing it. Please just give us one more chance'.

Didn't Pizza Hut recently try to jack that idea? All I've seen from them lately has been them advertising a giant rectangle pizza for the Olympics but didn't they weirdly try to rebrand themselves as some kinda like...up-scaleish fast food place?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just enjoyed the weird whiplash in going from "STUFFED CRUST, YOU loving ANIMALS! WE GOT STUFFED CRUST!!!!" morphing to "We're a bit better than the rest, we're fancy because we drizzle sauces on our pizza (that was the gimmick right?)", but then near instantly returning to "STUFFED CRUST, BUT GARLIC KNOTS TOO! WE MADE STUFFED CRUST AND GARLIC KNOTS gently caress AND MADE A PIZZA WITH THEM!" and now apparently a giant rectangle for the Olympics.

Pizza Hut is a complicated brand, perhaps they themselves don't even know what they are.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tired Moritz posted:

I remembered when coca cola french had this thing where they print out random words on their cans and someone who didn't read french got offended because they got one that said retard.

to be fair 'let's put random words on our cans' is a weird way to sync up with a campaign of putting random names on the cans.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AlphaKretin posted:

It's this, and it has the implication (or sometimes even stated outright) that all those cancer patients and people with depression just aren't thinking positively enough, and also don't need/shouldn't get treatment.

yea this is the big problem with it. There's a huge gulf between 'look just try to keep a positive view of things, maybe if you do you'll see the world better and see more opportunities for positive change' and 'you can do LITERALLY ANYTHING with positive thinking, and if you're not a mad wealthy movie star right now you're not thinking positive enough.'

It's like the woo woo hippy version of libertarian bullshit. Bootstraps with a new age flavor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
spam is perfectly fine and spam musubi is loving delicious especially if you make sure the spam is nice and fresh grilled up with just a little bit of charring to go with the sushi rice.

The place near me back in Louisiana also made onigiri with fried spam and teriyaki in it that was good as hell.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea unless you're talking chopped spam in eggs or something the key thing that makes spam sushi good is it's one nice big hunk of spam and then you're not eating any more spam.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Big Word posted:

I've never knowingly tried spam and I saw the other day that the import section at a nearby supermarket has a shelf with like ten different varieties of it now. My only familiarity with it is that people joke about how lovely it is but I'm still tempted to go get the stuff that has jalapenos in it, I bet it'd kick rear end with some emmental and baked beans on wholemeal toast

the jalapeno spam is good, I pretty much only use that when I make spam and eggs with salsa and it comes out good as hell.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gaius Marius posted:

People on Reddit don't know poo poo about most anything.

yea considering data sales are done in massive bulk amounts I truly can't imagine 'purity' means anything to 99% of these outlets

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea you'll have a bunch of weeds and probably roaches to stomp in your house and everyone will be 'woah it's been (insert time here) since I saw you last, glad to see you again!' Like already said it's somehow a game that involves zero guilt and annoyance over not playing it despite it literally being based on actual earth time and date while these dumbass single player games in magic fantasy times guilt you for spending one weekend not playing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I think it's fairly clear they got the bike, told the company 'hey, we got a bike and are gonna use it in Sex in the City' and whoever they told that assumed 'oh, yea, one of the women's going to do some biking on it or make a comment about a hot instructor or something, whatever'.

My favorite thing was the in house Peloton doctor coming out to do their own post-mortem on Mr Big, to the point where they said 'actually a Peloton likely increased his lifespan, maybe he had a family history of heart issues and he sure liked cigars...'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ok so I'm just really curious, this is all I've gathered through cultural osmosis. I take it that Carrie marries Mr. Big, who's basically a 90s era Trump, in the finale of the original show, and him dying in the revival is what kicks off them going back to the city for more sex. But what I want to know, did she call her husband Mr. Big, rather than by his first name? Was it like Buck Strickland calling his wife Ms. Liz in King of the Hill?

she calls him Big as a pet name, they called him that because he indeed was a 90's go go mogul type and on her blog she didn't want to reveal him I think? The running joke was whenever she introduced him properly it'd get cut off or hidden somehow so the viewer never heard it until the finale.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EL BROMANCE posted:

Huh. I always presumed Mr. Big was a dick size thing.

oh I'm positive they've made that joke too, can't remember any off the dome but it must have come up

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I love that it wasn't even 'he used his truck to haul food and water to survivors' or something just 'BUDDY YOU KNOW OUR TRUCKS ARE 9/11 TOUGH'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Memento posted:

Don't forget a literal rear end-ton of asbestos

now I'm remembering Trump used to be an asbestos truther where he claimed that the towers fell so fast because they had removed the asbestos and that was bad because asbestos being bad is a mafia run conspiracy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, and Peloton were acting like their product killing a person on a TV show would be bad PR. Their product killed a rapist, sounds like good PR to me. :colbert:

Honestly this is a good way to cut off any future lawsuits...

Peloton: Our bikes won't kill you, unless you're a rapist

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the red circle is unforgivable

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I went into a shop and asked 'what's this candy bar's story'. When the shopkeeper said they didn't understand I set the store on fire in disgust

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
me, dropping to a knee and getting ready to fire my RPG into the candy shop: DOES THE CHCOCOLATE BAR HAVE ANXIETY OR NOT???? I WON'T ASK AGAIN FUCKER!!!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Silver Falcon posted:

What does that even mean anyway?

MMO design is actually kinda neat. In the old EQ/UO days it was very sandboxy, you just got dumped into the world and were told 'figure it out' for the most part. WoW was the first major MMO to take a more linear design, you start in a place, it leads you to another place with lots of quests, you do the quests there and get pointed to a nearby place with more quests. This was called 'theme park' design rather positively (mostly) because it emulated...well...theme parks. You had a much more curated and guided experience that highlighted the 'big items' the devs wanted you to see.

After that it became the norm in most MMOs because of how insane WoW's success was, and the theme park design is genuinely a factor in that because now you didn't need a massive printed binder of maps and travel plans just to level to max, you could just install and jump in blind and not get TOO hosed over (vanilla WoW had its own dumb traps of course but they were different issues than quest design).

So naturally for a lot of 'hardcore' MMOs trying to tap into the EQ/UO/Eve Online kinda market being a 'sandbox' again is a fairly big selling point for them.

Sandbox stuff can be good, of course, but yea for a lot of games that's just kinda code for 'we didn't really put a lot of quests and poo poo in, you need to go kill rats for hours to get exp mainly' and a lot of the 'hardcore' crowd thinks that's somehow a point in favor of being...smarter...somehow?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hel posted:

Was that the game where the devs got pissy when a player did the math to point out that a raid boss was actually impossible to brat even with optimal play?

yea they hitched their ride HARD to 'hasn't WoW become TOO EASY with its WELFARE PURPS and BABY RAIDS??? We're the guys making a game more like OLD WoW. You know, when every raid had massive attunement quests that took ages to do just to gain access to the raid that really was only hard because it was early internet era and 'raid resources' were hard to share so 90% of the time you relied on one or two guys in the guild to explain as best they can what's gonna happen? Well we're doing that, but we're going to make the raid literally impossible to do to simulate that'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's only funny if she has a friend with a matching tattoo run in and also punch him out of nowhere a little later

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I believe you'll find he did not jerk off on his cat, he did not jerk off near his cat, he did not jerk off anywhere around his cat, and this is cancel culture actually

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea this was a fantastic marketing move for Grubhub

a horrible moral move but welp

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SuddenCactus posted:

should have released a new sex tape with several Beyond products in each shot

Kim's new ad campaign: 'buddy, they don't even let me gently caress the burgers'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
absolutely buck wild conversation that perfectly sums up why we need to just destroy social media.

"This vlogger who likes Star Wars went there and said it was lame, they don't even really give you a genuine 'branching path' despite letting you pick between the Empire or Rebels"

"I bet she's a nazi piece of poo poo that hates black people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ziv Zulander posted:

My girlfriend signed up for crunchyroll so we could watch ranking of kings together and now she just binges romance animes all the time. Help me please

watch romance animes with her, coward