Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sappo569 posted:

It's true, awhile ago they changed the way they take orders... any mcdonalds I goto now it's easily 10-15 min for an order, line or not

When I worked there in the mid 90's, we would have a holding bin of prepared food, that would stay there for 10 min max (either it would get thrown out, unlikely, or someone would order it).

The benefits of having someone walk up and order a bigmac, and have it in their hands literally 20 seconds later, far outweighed binning a few hamburgers over the course of a day

Ugh that turned into a rant !

Hold times at fast food places, in my experience are very short. Just a few minutes. I used to do POS support for Wendys (as well as other QSRs) and the owners really try to make their food as fresh and high quality they can for the price. Give QRSs a chance. The tomatoes get sliced daily, as do the onions and other vegetables that they need. Yes, some used bagged, but not as many as you'd think. The buns come every day or every other, baked by a local bakery.

You don't have to like the food, but they are doing their best. I've watched GMs scrub the legs of the frosty machine on their hands and knees to make sure that the area that meets the floor is as shiny as a mirror.

On the other hand, Arbys sucks. Don't eat there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I used to work at the meat Dept at Walmart and it was always interesting to see the Johnsonville brats from USDA certified inspector #342 and all the Wal mart ones a few bucks cheaper had the exact same inspector number. It was always Johnsonville and always the brats for Wal mart, nothing else matched up.

I have to assume it's all the same plant and meat just packaged differently.

I can't speak to how food is treated for store brands, but I can tell you for sure that computer products made for Walmart are made of much poorer quality internals.

For a while, Walmart was selling $400 laptops when everyone else was selling at near $1,000 for their cheap line. The cost to the manufacturer just to make the laptops was $550 or so but their parent company sold so many shoes and garments to Walmart that they agreed to take a bath on the laptops.

We ended up buying a thousand or so of them that Walmart was unable to sell. They were absolute junk. I think we were only able to move a few hundred. The SKU on the label even had a "W" on it to make sure you were able to tell it was one of the bad ones. They were cheaply made, cheaply assembled, plastic crap.

The same company, on the same line, made excellent laptops. I still have one that's been working great since 2007. Battery finally died last year but my girls use it plugged in all the time anyway.

Always look at the SKU when buying equipment. Verify that the SKU matches the expensive stores. Trust me, Harbor Freight and Northern Hydraulic may have the same brands, but they are made to different specs. There's a reason that a DeWalt drill from MSC or Grainger is $50 more than at Menards.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

From my experience, food being bland is a Midwest America thing. Maybe because people in the dust bowl couldn't afford spices. Of course, it's also just a "bad cook" thing. My mother in law is neither Midwestern nor British, and yet she even manages to make bland curries.

I live in Burnsville, a suburb of the Twin Cities in the upper mid-west. My convenient takeout food choices are Thai, North-East Africa, Mediterranean, Russian, Nepalese, and Korean. Those are within 5 minutes driving distance and I live well outside the inner ring metro. I'm not including the standard fast-food crap, Green Mill kind of poo poo, all of the ones I list are absurdly good food.

Within easy walking distance I have a commercial donut store that has a great dining room (only open until 9-10am), a family restaurant with the best tater-tot hotdish you've ever had, and a barbecue joint that's been featured on Man vs. Food (not that I'm proud of that).

Don't assume the mid-west is boring. I like ham and potatoes, I also like Seafood Rad Na and dol sot bi bim bop. The African place has something they call a "Sport Platter" that will make you cry it's so good. If we go out for lunch at work, we have to choose which of the 2 or 3 sushi places we prefer.

When you make an assumption, you make an rear end of you, and umption.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

duckmaster posted:

This would have been an excellent point well made if you hadn't followed it up by telling us you live near a donut restaurant.

OK. I'm not trying to be defensive, but I'll be defensive anyway.

It's not a doughnut restaurant. It's a commercial doughnut manufacturer that happens to have coffee and pastries available with a dining room up front because it happens to be part of the space. They're only open until about 10 AM at the latest. They're usually out by 9ish. Most of their product is shipped to restaurants.

My kids call it the doughnut store. We go there every few months. I prefer J's myself. If you're from Burnsville, you know where it is and you know you've eaten there. Don't be afraid, you know it's awesome.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Davfff posted:

i buy the one with the anthropomorphised toilet rolls on the packaging. what does that say?

I buy mine in a 250 grit. That seems the most comfortable.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

I've seen some nasty gas stations bathrooms, but the trucker gas stops and chain gas stations are usually pretty good. I can't remember which one it is, but there's a chain of trucker stops that has full showers, a connected restaurant, coin-operated massage chairs, and a decent sized store. Pretty much paradise for the road weary.

On the flip side, the only thing worse than a gas station with a disgusting bathroom is a gas station that has NO bathroom for customers to use. Employees only! :argh:

Flying J's are always good. Casey's as well if you're heading south on 29. Tesoro's are usually pretty good and often have restaurants attached.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Electricity and maintenance?

I am American and drove in England for the first time ever a few weeks back and I was very confused by the gas pumps there. You see in America no one is trusted and you have to pay first. In the UK I assume no one is trusted but they have cameras and big brother everywhere so you pump first and pay. I'm the dumbass that didn't know this and walked in to ask the guy behind the counter what to do.

It's rare to have to pre-pay in Minnesota. You only run into it in really shady areas. Everywhere I go, I pump first and then go in.

There was an SA near me years ago that switched to pre-pay to save on drive offs. The fact is that they make their money on in-store purchases. If you require pre-pay, everyone will pay at the pump and not even come in. They switched back after about 6 months.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, which is why Walmart took over.

But Walmart has Walmart-ed themselves too much, its gotten to the point where the last two times I went to the nearest store there I didn't see a single employee. I know you're used to having 30 lines with only 2 open, but there was nobody there. People just walking in and out taking things without paying because there was nobody there to stop them or to pay to.

I had to buy something from behind a glass wall in electronics so I was like waving my hands around going "HELLOOOOO" and nobody came, so I went and stood behind the register in electronics where customers aren't supposed to be shouting "Hello, I'm doing something I'm not supposed to, somebody please come here and stop me" and still nothing.

I've heard of understaffed before but that's just ridiculous. :psyduck:

I was once at a Walmart in Rawlins WY that had no staff, complete aisles of empty shelves, and no blaze orange gear in the middle of hunting season. I asked someone where a sporting goods store was in town and they didn't understand me. I described what one was and they looked at me like a deer in the headlights. Finally I said "a place that sells guns". They became very animated and said there's one "down the road". I asked, "which road?". They replied by pointing aggressively to the west without speaking.

It turned out that the road was I80 but apparently the didn't have it together to remember that.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Linking a PDF, because jesus christ this thing.

http://www.goldennumber.net/wp-content/uploads/pepsi-arnell-021109.pdf

The Arnell Group was paid millions to do this.

To me it looks like they spent 5 minutes making a logo in Illustrator and 2 months trying to create a justification for it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

...Coke has stated they have no need to market sugar-Coke because people just import it from Mexico. But that means they're on the defensive when Pepsi makes a move like selling sodas with sugar or ditching aspartame - even if you can't taste a difference.

Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like I can taste the difference in Mexican Coke vs American Coke. Part of it might just be the glass bottle. It reminds me of being a kid and drinking one of those 8oz bottles they used to sell from chest coolers outside of a business. You had to finish it right there as the bottles were always returned.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...In the case of the internet we've been so heavily bombarded by advertising for so long that we just tune most of it out reflexively. This created an arms race that went so insane actual programs to stop the bombardment had to be created. So advertisers found ways to get past those which then adapted and...it's just never ending. With sponsored content at least a content creator gets a paycheck directly out of it. Which is the other issue with the internet; content creators need to eat and advertisers are often the only people willing to pay them.

Advertising overload, especially on mobile sites, has become self defeating. At my work, I get pitched by all kinds companies selling adspace and impressions, clicks, blah blah blah. They insist in having interstitial ads, pop-ups, side bars, headers, footers, sponsored content. All of it.

I don't believe in that style of advertising and try to stick to the classics. In person, events, print, TV, and radio. We of course do web advertising but it's secondary to the old-school methods and is very successful.

When one these advertising companies talks to me about the importance of pre-roll or click-bait ads (my words) I ask them, "What was the last pre-roll ad you saw on Youtube for?" How about the pop up ad in the last Youtube video you watched? When you went to your favorite news site or aggregator, what ad stood out to you? Do you like having a giant floating ad covering the page when you view a mobile version of a website? How does that make you want to return to the site?

They always get a blank look in their eyes and mentally lock up for a few seconds before re-setting back to the original pitch. They can never answer any of those questions. We're so good at overlooking advertising that we're probably missing ads that we might want to look at.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Somfin posted:

Some of the best ads are, ironically, the ones that are super oldschool "take a break in the program to talk about a product" stuff. On Youtube, I'm more than happy to watch an ad sketch by Gamegrumps, or hear about how a given company or product is helping out with, say, Extra Credits' channel by throwing them some money- as long as it's the actual channel folks selling the product to me, I really don't mind. I suppose it's an honesty thing- if someone I like listening to says "Hey folks, this episode is sponsored by Sweet Lewtz, go take a look," I can guarantee that I'll associate Sweet Lewtz with keeping one of my favourite channels afloat. Which, these days, is a pretty loving huge deal. Gamegrumps in particular throws a shitton of effort into really loving nailing their ad sketches- while I don't currently want Crunchy Roll, they've done three ads for it so far so I know the name, which is more than I can say for any other paid anime streaming service.

Exactly. Draw me in. Give me something I'm interested in. You have all this intelligence out there that we only dreamed of 10 years ago, and no one does anything with it. I've seen the same BMW ad on Youtube about 20 times in the last few days. You can show me the ad 1,000 times if you like, but I can't afford a BMW, have never looked at a BMW related website, never mentioned BMW in my comments (except right now), and have always clicked skip as soon as possible.

Don't you think that the algorithm should look for ads that relate to content that I have not clicked "Skip" on? Remember, the more revenue the client gets, the more they'll spend on advertising. 4 billion impressions means nothing when you only get 4 clicks and no purchases.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

...Do you honestly think kids care one way or another about all the luxury car and fancy computer and dependable insurance ads that play before the videos they watch, where each viewing is another cent sent to PDP? Or do you think they just think "boring" and wait for it to end?

Exactly. My daughters both watch videos of people playing videogames all the time (I try to keep them away from Pewdiepie). When an ad comes on, they switch to a different tab until they hear that their video is on. The same thing that we all do. It's a wasted form of advertising. If the ads were clever, maybe we'd watch them.

The best ad I ever saw on Youtube was for the remake of Evil Dead. For 5 seconds, it just said "Don't click skip, Don't click skip, Don't click skip..." It drew me in, and I actually watched the preview.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

You just typed "BMW" 4 times in the post about how you're never going to buy a BMW I and I typed it twice responding to you. The ad worked.

Touché. That's exactly why "Head On" ads worked. They were irritating, but they stuck in your memory. It didn't make them money, but it worked.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Tiggum posted:

If it didn't make them money, in what way did it work?

It made you remember them. That's the purpose of the ad. They didn't make money because the product was a fraud. But the advertising did it's job.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

CommonShore posted:

The menu is covered with this stuff in Canada. I'm admittedly not a big Mcdonalds eater, but I have literally never seen someone order any of this. Every time I go in people want a) mcdoubles, b) nuggets, c) fries, d) ice cream cones. Even poo poo like Big macs only get ordered when someone has a coupon.

Realistically, if McDonalds stopped trying to push this fake high end poo poo that nobody wants, they could reduce overall wastage and decrease the food cost on the stuff people want to buy. That would let them either a) increase quality, b) drop prices, c) increase profits, or d) some combination of the former.

I think McD's lost a lot of customers by dropping the premium menu. I used to stop by there drat near every day for either breakfast or lunch when they had the premium menu a few years ago (steak breakfast burrito, angus sandwiches, etc.) It was convenient, fast, and edible.

Now I only stop by once every few months with the kids when we're traveling and it's the closest thing to the highway. My kids prefer Wendys even though they have crappy toys. Going cheap is not the answer when it comes to margin. Premium has much better potential. You just have to make it taste good. Remember, this is QSR, not Aquavit in New York. Of course it's garbage food. But garbage food is easy to eat when you're driving or in a hurry.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

I feel like McDonalds' menu has an identity crisis. I still think of Burger King as a burger joint and Domino's as a pizza place despite the fact that each has added non-burger/non-pizza options, but McDonald's has put everything under the sun on their menu and now just registers as Generic Human Feed Trough. There's no emphasis on anything.

Menu coherence is important. You have to have a goal and a brand identity. I feel like most major QSR places have lost focus. They were all premium for a while, and then went back to dollar menu stuff. They soon discovered that food cost would not permit dollar menu and then upped prices. This leaves them with poo poo food that has no perceived value. Hell, McD created the "My Crap" that is inedible. Say "McWrap" with a Scottish accent and you'll understand.

Now they don't know what to do. Food cost at QSRs vary from 21% to 35% depending on franchise (Chicken v. Beef). Labor is up at about 30%, at least temporarily, and people don't want to pay more than a couple dollars for their garbage food. Overhead runs about 30% so now we're at "penny-profit" margins. That's why I believe QSR should focus on premium like Qdoba, Chipotle, 5 Guys, Potbelly, Noodles and Co., etc. I think that's where the market is. That's what I see my co-workers buying. They're willing to pay more for perceived value.

Yes I angrily rant at my wife in the morning about QSR because I'm passionate about it. She doesn't give 2 shits about my thoughts but she puts up with it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

The one I signed up for thinking nothing would come from it is an LCD price fixing class action while I was in California. Not sure if it was statewide or nationally but I ended up getting a $150 check from it like a year and half later. But that one I never saw on TV but ended up paying off.

I used to work for a re-seller of LCD TVs. In about 2008, the cartel of panel manufacturers got tired of selling panels at a loss. As such, they shut down distribution to only a select few companies.

Retailers were buying TVs at a loss to the manufacturer, then selling them at a loss, and then making it up on markup on HDMI cables (our cost $6, retail $45) and DVD players (our cost $11, retail $50). Accessory lovely cameras that we got for free as part of a deal and then sold for $60 a piece. I got all of my USB cables free but could still sell them for $10 or so at the time. We got the long tail, and the manufacturers got the shaft.

The panel guys didn't get the upsale portion so they just got screwed. I remember seeing Best Buy selling a TV that I was selling for less than my cost. It was something like $350 for a 42" plasma in 2008. They simply said, "We will no longer sell to you" if you were a small player. It put quite a few companies out of business.

To be fair, the cartel crackdown did get rid of all the insane re-sellers and get the market under control. Price is now stable.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Jesus Christ. What sort of sniveling sack of poo poo can find a reason why a person isn't allowed to get paid to make a commercial for a thing? The man got paid a stupid large sum to promote fried chicken. He doesn't have a problem with it so why should anyone else. PC culture is poo poo and everyone who takes offense to that commercial should go and gently caress themselves. I'm sick of it. You dont like it, don't eat the chicken and spend that time pushing little stones into your rear end because gently caress you and gently caress everything you believe in. I believe that fried chicken is delicious and if a big black motherfucker says it's good that's probably because it is good because black people like fried chicken and I should probably eat what they like. loving hell.

It's not about "PC", it's about it being a lovely ad. I don't see anything racist about it. It's just a lovely ad. No-one should take offense, it's just a worthless ad. The wings should be tossed in sauce, not dipped.

Also, I like fried chicken. I'll eat 2 dozen wings in a second. But that ad simply didn't work.

Nothing "PC", just a bad ad.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

When I think about it the pork thing is really cultural just as much as anything to do with religion. I can't really justify why I think eating dog is so gross. Dog is probably delicious if raised a certain way and then roasted to perfection. But gently caress no I'm not eating dog.

Yeah. My dog is a fine piece of flesh. Lean, muscular, young, etc.

But, she tells me when someones here and she likes the last part of a burrito. If I'm sad, she puts her head on my knee. If I hurt, she licks where the cut or bruise is. She's pleasant and happy and I can play with her. She likes my daughters and wife and she's useful. Why eat her?

Pigs, however, are a thing that should get in my belly. I hate pigs.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Keystoned posted:

Counterpoint: I am saving money on groceries now because I buy only exactly is what on my list based on meal planning for the week, eliminating all of the impusle shoppjng that really fucks your budget.

It was rare for me to get out of the store for under $200. The last three weeks Ive spent right at $100 since im doing it online. So less money, less time, more convenient? This sounds like everything we love about the internet!

I can see if youre cooking for only one person than it makes sense to zip on for 15 minutes, spend your $40 for the week and zip out. But when youre shopping for 4 and and a typical trip takes 60+ minutes online becomes super attractive. The free delivery is just a bonus - I could easily see myself paying $5-10 for the convenience.

I go with my Grandparents (on both sides) philosophy. When you're cash rich, stock up on preservable food. Can or freeze when you have extra, keep a larder with lots of food. If you run into a tight spot, you won't go hungry. One set of my Grandparents lived through the dust bowl, the other, through the purge of the ethnic Germans in Yugoslavia and lived in a DP camp.

Have food. If things go south, at least you won't be hungry.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

I worked at a laundromat/dry cleaners/laundry service place. We used (the sams club generic version of) Tide in powder form for all our washing. It just works best.

20 Mule Team Borax, Washing Soda, and Fels-Naptha. Works better than anything in the world. It's something like a nickle a load and cleans everything.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

When I first saw that episode, it was October in MN. A perfect time for Haralson apples at the orchard in Jordan that we go to.

The ad literally made me hungry for apples and then I went and bought 5 lbs of Haralsons and 5 lbs of Crab apples. Everyone was happy. My kids love the Crabs from Minnesota Harvest orchard.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Not only is the XFL coming back with NO KNEELING EVER it's also being advertised via some loving baffling early 2000s grade flash clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGO83ioQs1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Q-q6Un3UA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hsMv5zdJQ

Football is chess played by giant men. None of these ads make me want to watch the XFL again. I gave it a chance back in the day. It sucked then, it'll suck now. There are rules to the game of football. If I want to watch constant action, I'll watch soccer. Football is a game of strategy and yards. TV timeouts suck, yes, but we're used to them. It gives you a chance to got to the john, chat with your friends, go to the kitchen, diddle around. Does anyone even watch ads on TV anymore? I just play with my phone if I've got nothing better to do.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Comparing Chick-Fil-A to Papa Johns doesn’t work because Chick-Fil-A has an above average product that’s not readily available anywhere else. If you want a good chicken sandwich and waffle fries in a drive-thru, you’re going to have to rationalize your feelings on homophobia or hope there’s a Zaxby’s nearby.

If you want a lovely pizza, you have choices. Papa Johns can’t afford for their regular customers to realize lovely pizza is literally everywhere.

Very true. I wish I had a Chick-Fil-A near me so I could refuse to go there. From everything I've heard, they have great chicken. Unfortunately, good chicken places are impossible to find in the Twin Cities. The best fried chicken I can get is at Cub. A grocery store of all places. It's still better than KFC.

However, I can get lovely pizza anywhere that is an order of magnitude better than Papa Johns. I've got tons of places within a mile that I can get very edible pizza from. Lots of wood fired places. They're everywhere. The only reason I ever bought from Papa Johns is because it was right next to Blockbusters. Now that Blockbusters is gone, there's no reason to get the slimiest, nastiest, pizza, served with vegetable oil dipping sauce for the crust.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

I got nothing here. The derail has gotten to the point where it cannot be brought back on track. As such, I'm going to go way out in left field and bring up the following.

Americans put radium in their toothpaste bread! Every time I visit America, I get a loaf of hummus from the gas station store-o-rama and it always comes assault rifles. The worst thing, is that the fat corn-syrup babies are only served in avoirdupois when, as any good Christian/Atheist knows, they should be served in hard fighting, hard farting, American flags everywhere, and people are always nice and the grocery store and taxes aren't included in the total and America is a big country but not as big as other continents and their coffee is terrible and something something something dark side of the force.

Anyway, real bad marketing: Wix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q4737kSSzA

When I looked this up, the pre-load ad was an ad for Wix. On an ad for Wix. Which is a lovely service that lets you make a website that looks like every other website in the world.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also pockets require spending more money on materials and design when you're already making plenty of money putting out clothes that a year later you tell people they should never wear again.

My wife constantly complains about how women's clothes have no pockets. I say, "Buy men's clothes in your size and they'll have pockets."

She then says "But I hate having things in my pockets. It's uncomfortable."

I'll say, "Have your mom sew in pockets if your pockets are shallow. She's really good and she's fixed my clothes many times." and she refuses.

She still hates using pockets. My daughter wears a man's top coat for her winter jacket. She has many pockets and it looks really good on her. It's tight in the waist, broad in the shoulders and looks feminine. It's kind of a gray/faun color. She doesn't have to carry a purse which is handy. Plus, she can put her extra stuff in my pockets or my messenger bag if she needs to. I always make sure to carry a purse of some sort. My purse/bag is just full of ridiculous tools, paperwork, and doodads.

I do also carry a fair amount of cosmetics in my bag because I work in the skin care industry. I have foundation if you need it, and I can also repair a Laser with the nonsense I carry around.

How about a line of clothes for women that would like to carry things in their pockets?

I guess I don't have a point but I like my man purse and my pockets can feed an army and start up a poker game. Or maybe fix a carburetor.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Snatch Duster posted:

All these campaigns succeeded though?

People are still talking about them and the brands long after they stopped airing.

At least in my case, it was the straw that broke the camels back that switched me to be aggressively PC. I like Hodgman, I can't stand the other dude. He's arrogant. He reminds me of who I was in the 90's. An arrogant Mac user. Hodgman showed me the light and I've been using only PCs since the ads. I used to do tech support for PCs but still used a Mac at home. After the ads, it reminded me that Mac users are insufferable. It reminded me that I was insufferable. They made me feel like a bad person. I've been PC ever since. Of course, I had my Linux fling and I'm a big fan of FreeBSD as a server platform, but I'll never use a Mac again.

Buy a Macintosh. Everyone will hate you.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

I don't know about the US, but in the UK green wellington boots are associated with farming and gardening and this would be a very normal marketing move.

In the US, almost no-one wears wellingtons on the farm. We tend to wear heavy leather boots. Rubber boots are for muck. They're normally black here.

When I hear "Green Boots" I think about a landmark on Everest. Most people wouldn't think that but I went through a phase where I read a lot of books about Everest and watched every documentary I could.

I'm sure that, in the UK, it comes across fine.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Helith posted:

About 10 years ago me and my husband went on holiday to Las Vegas and California and we hired a car to do a road trip for a week.
They gave us a PT Cruiser and we hated it, it was the crappest car we'd ever driven. A tyre burst while we were driving through Yosemite and we had to put on the emergency tyre and limp into Lee Vining where they put a proper one on.

My wife and I bought 2 PT Cruisers over the span of a few years. Both new. They were great cars. Short in length but a lot of interior space. Easy to get in and out of. Reasonable mileage. Super reliable. The only trouble I had was that you have to do plugs and wires every 40,000. For some reason, they chew up plugs and wires no matter what you do.

I've never understood why people poo poo on the PT. It was the only profitable car that DC had at the time. GM even tried to copy it with the HHR which was bigger but uglier.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

My office never does this properly and it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Back what when I was network administrator years ago I had this crap automated. If someone plugged in anything that tried to do an exploit, my anti-virus server would catch it and drop the computer from the network. I forget how I did it, but it was clever. I somehow got the anti-virus to talk to Smoothwall to drop internal IPs. I'd get an email within a second telling me the jackass that wasn't following protocol so I could tap them on shoulder as they desperately tried to hide their idiocy.

It was fun.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, it’s one of those drinks that started as a health tonic sort of thing and is still around. It’s a more acquired taste than typical soft drinks because of the gentian but it’s not bad or anything.

I like it myself but it definitely tastes like medicine. My wife won't touch it but one of my daughters is OK with it.

I imagine that if you ever had cough syrup that tasted like Moxie as a kid, you probably just associate it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

A lot of the above is also part of why America gave prohibition a shot- we as a nation really did have a problem with alcohol because it was so economical to produce.

I received a present at Christmas of a book that had instructions for making fake liquor. It's got a bunch of Cabala (that's how they spell it) stuff. Printed about 1904. It has no publishers mark nor an author as it was banned in several countries as witchcraft.
Example:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/occult-book-silent-friend-medical-1734534615

It instructs you to, if you'd like to make fake Irish whiskey, to use 50 gallons of "spirit" and add a lot of flavorings to cover the taste. "Spirit" means spirit alcohol. Spirit alcohol, at the time, usually meant the cheap wood alcohol. Used for cleaning and manufacturing. It will kill you. It will kill the hell out of you. But at least it will hurt the whole time and you'll go blind before death.

There's a good reason the book was banned. It's bathtub gin.

My parents found the book at the dump when they were dropping off garbage. It's actually my favorite present I've ever received.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

This has come up in the OSHA thread a few times and there's no proper "licensing" in the US, at least not at a federal level. Some places will give a teen 30 minutes of instruction and off you go. Most of the "certification classes" are poo poo like 4-hour online classes. There's no standard and no accreditation. That's actually part of the reason my new company that I'm forming is going to be offering a much more rigorous forklift certification, which will include a practical exam to show that you can safely operate in a variety of situations.

Also, forklifts are loving heavy. They have to be to counterbalance the load, so your typical warehouse forklift weighs about 4.5 tons. That's why you're instructed not to try and jump free of the cab if it tips: it will absolutely turn you to mush.

In MN, a forklift license is not even really issued. It just means a trainer says "You're OK". The license only applies to the company you're working at. If you go somewhere else, you have to be re-licensed. The whole system is basically a scam by "Big Forklift" to pay for constant re-training.

When I had to get certified, the test was open notes. It was a one hour class. The trainer would tell you what to write down. One of the dudes from another company didn't speak any English so one of my guys took the test for him, with the instructors permission. Another guy (from another company) couldn't read or write at all, so the instructor did the test for him.

Then the trainer comes to the warehouse and has me set up a test course. All of my guys passed because they'd been running forklifts for over a decade.

The basic principles that we were taught were, inspect your hydraulics, wear your seatbelt, and don't be stupid-drunk when operating the forklift. A little drunk was OK (I kid). Also, no-one ever wears their seatbelt.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

One: U.S.A. is not a country. It's a made up name for a company to trick you. There are several manufacturers who do that.

Two: The company is Telebrands which is well known for selling nonsense. Per their BBB listing (which is an A for some reason).:
"226 complaints closed in last 3 years
97 complaints closed in last 12 months"

A good business has perhaps 1 or 2 per year.

Three: It is not certified for anything at all.

Four: It's not a particulate, nor a liquid filter.

Five: gently caress them.

This is absurd. It's mean spirited on their part and they could kill people if someone takes the ad at face value.

Also, I can buy proper masks at the checkout of the grocery store I go to. We also buy them in case quantity at my work. They are available now. Two months ago it was hard, now it is not.

Again, there is no U.S.A. Only, USA.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Clicked ads can be stupid effective, mostly for sales events. Otherwise nobody really gives a poo poo, and even then a really good rate of clicks is .15% with the average much closer to .08%. There are also specific demographics and people who are click receptive, which if you look at the steady benchmark of .08% you might realize exactly how large that demo is in the general populace.

Whats important is a) even with that low rate of clicks if you can link that to purchases you'd be stunned how cost effective ads can be even when .04% of people who see an ad click and b) you can do touchpoint and exposure modeling to determine the "true value*"

*value not true

I would guess that most click-through is an accident. More people find the company I work for because of a typo than click through from an online ad. I remember when I got the report for the Uptown Art Fair's online campaign. They proudly said that the ad had 11 million impressions. They didn't mention that for the 11 million impressions they had 15 clicks. Just 15 clicks. 15 clicks for 50 vendors.

This makes a click through per vendor of 0.00000003% give a decimal place or two.
The Uptown Art Fair normally has an attendance of about 350,000 and the best they could get out of people looking at their site and others as part of the campaign was those 15 clicks.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

I normally like RC cola, now this will be stuck in my mind so no more for me ever.

I also don't want to live any more.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

Speaking of GE and dumb marketing.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

That must be the worst one out there. It's really common for people to not understand the meaning of a song in marketing but that one is pissing on your face and telling you it's raining.

It's even worse than the Jack Daniels ad that uses "Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction and cuts just before "He treats me like a ragdoll."

Do these people even listen to the song before choosing it? It's literally a song about addiction.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

Sir, this is a Pizza Inn.

That seriously made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

Why would a company even get involved in politics? Now I know where not to go if I ever see a Pizza Inn.

I don't care if the family owned cafe that I go to are huge right wingers. Frankly, I assume they are. I like their food so I go there and politics doesn't come up. Who would want to mix politics with a pizza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I know y'all are talking food right now, but back up a second.

The My Pillow guy is a crackhead?

As a Minnesotan, I apologize for the pillow fucker. We should have nipped that in the bud years ago but we didn't know he was a person.

At least, his banning from Kohls and Bed Bath and Beyond reminded me where I should be shopping. I think I'll grab some jeans and a new wooden spoon. The stores are next door to each other so it's an easy run. Great publicity for the stores. Pillow rapist, not so much.