Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Nothing like the sweet tangy kick of Mercury poisoning.

Bonus goatse at the bottom?

Also the whole "Kick a Ginger" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There was some controversy a year or two back about a social-media driven South Park inspired "Kick a Ginger Day." It caused some problems, mostly involving idiotic teenagers.

Looks like it's still going.

http://kick-a-ginger-day.com/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10387636/Kick-a-Ginger-Kid-Day-leads-to-attacks-on-schoolchildren.html

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah, even as a kid in Canada I was faced with a perpetual stream of "redheads are always late" and "redheads have bad tempers..."

The latter became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

darkwasthenight posted:

Massive speculation here but possibly something to do with leftover prejudice against the Irish and Scottish. Your stereotypical paddy is always depicted as ginner. Either that or it's because kids are nasty little bastards and we didn't have as many minority kids to pick on in the eighties.

No, that's pretty much it. It sticks around because it's ok because it's not "technically" sexism, racism, or homophobia, which are the "bad" prejudices. I've told people to go gently caress themselves when I've gotten a comment like that, and usually the response is something like "god, we're just joking around? Why are you so serious? God, gingers have such bad tempers, god, just joking around."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Furniture stores just do that. Generally speaking stores like that have agreements with the companies that make the stuff that dictates the price that stuff can be sold for. Really that Serta mattress is going to be the same price at literally every furniture store in town no matter how big the discount is just because that's a requirement. It's dumb as hell but if a store quit doing that they'd lose business. It's also why clothing stores are perpetually having sales.

I'm pretty sure that in some places it's illegal to mark a tag like that if the item was never listed at the "original" price.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rare Collectable posted:

Some more classic examples of "Play our game, its better than *some horrible disgusting poo poo we came up with*"

I remember this era of game marketing pretty clearly, because I was p.much centre of target demo at the time. It seems silly in hindsight, but "weird," "unexpected," and "goofy" were pretty appealing - Game Boy was essentially in competition with Weird Al cassettes for the disposable income controlled by nerdy teenage boys.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:arghfist::tizzy:

Touchscreens.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I distinctly remember my grandfather having a garage fridge full of that stuff in about 1986. The weird foamy labels were fun to peel and pick.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AlphaKretin posted:

No matter the product there's always a fan who'll buy anything.

E: Product's not quite the right word but I'm not sure what to say for show/movie/game/singer/website/etc.

Franchise.

Anyway, you haven't seen bad merch until you've seen adult humans with cabinets full of latex cat girls.

Bonus: not just for creepy young men anymore! Also for creepy middle-aged women.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm hearing something about Activision promoting the next Call of Duty with a realistic looking live tweet terrorist attack hoax. I haven't been able to find any news articles on this yet. Anyone know anything about this?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

McDonalds has been struggling too long against the current of the bad reputation stuff - junk food and so forth. What they need to do is simplify and play a classic vibe to appeal to people's nostalgia for times before The Global Warmings and The Obesity Epidemics. Strip the menu as much as possible to proven long-term sellers, put a hint of 1960s style to all of their advertising, push "dependable," "traditional," and "efficient" as their brand, and shore it up by sponsoring lots of kids soccer teams and poo poo.

They're never going to be healthy, they're never going to be upscale, and they're never going to be fashionable. They need to play to their strengths rather than to their weaknesses. People will buy products that buck the dominant trends: McDonalds can be the simple and dependable friend in an ever-changing and scary world.

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Oct 18, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canyoneer posted:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/AL8x/papa-murphys-pizza-re-bold-your-man

Here's a stupid ad. If a father is playing dolls with his daughter, his masculinity is diminished and you should purchase a buffalo chicken pizza so he can become a macho football fan dad.
It's a collection of so many stereotypes in one.

And he can stop interacting with the kids.

Something about the "Real Men eat greasy terrible food and only women watch what they eat" trope drives me up the loving wall. It's as if advertisers are in cahoots to make sure that all men will have the appropriate physique for Walmart clothing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here's one that's getting lots of discussion in the UFC thread:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/21/reebok-blames-design-error-for-regrettable-ufc-ireland-shirt?CMP=fb_gu

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Another factor with the Wii U is that it didn't have any kind of branding differentiation. I'm not a big follower of consoles, and it wasn't clear to me until someone spelled it out that the Wii U was an entirely new system and not just some fancy peripheral for the Wii. The Playstation and XBox series have done a good job of giving newness to their consoles. The nintendo series did an amazing job, up to the Wii U of making sure people knew that new was new, both in the name and in the appearance of the unit.

I can imagine that mom or grandma won't really see or understand the difference between the two consoles and just think "well the kids already have one of those..." It seems like a small amount of confusion, but that family purchase was a big part of Nintendo's market share.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Splatoon is a loving brilliant game concept. I've never played it, and I never will, but "how do we make an FPS nonviolent so we can sell it to families"? loving :perfect:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The new 3DS should be called Gameboyorgirl2000

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ryoshi posted:

I'm seriously wondering how in your mind Microsoft has done a great job differentiating their new console when they named it what basically everyone called their original console in casual conversation since about 2007 or so.

Well,

XBox
XBox 360
XBox One?

Ok, you're right namewise, that doesn't stand out so much. As I said, I'm not a huge console person, so I wasn't thinking about that in too much detail. But my point still stands, because the differentiation between "One" and "360" is what's important for communicating that the thing being sold now is not the thing being sold a little while ago, and it's not the thing you have right now. Nobody is going to confuse the 2001 and 2013 models when a 2005 model had dominated the market for so long. On top of that, the XBoxes also don't look like each other at all - the 360 and the One look nothing alike - whereas the Wii and the WiiU follow pretty similar design schemes.

(Besides, everyone I know calls it "Original XBox" or "Old XBox")

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cheerfullydrab posted:

Video game people should gently caress off to another thread.

What exactly is the point of those surveys that are increasingly popping up, especially on news sites, that are mandatory before you read an article or something? Do marketers really think they're getting something from those?

I've actually stopped reading websites that I liked because of such mandatory surveys. There's very little information that any site could possibly have which wouldn't be available at some other site which isn't behind a pain-in-the-rear end wall.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Blue Pyramid posted:

The same is true of any news site that limits readership to 5 articles per month unless you have a subscription. I wonder how that policy affects those sites' overall readership

Meh open the links in private/incognito mode. Solves that problem.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Krispy Kareem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20n-cD8ERgs

Suzanne researched this.

There's another video from 2006 that I can't find where a guy is predicting the housing crisis and all the other pundits and commentators are literally shouting him down.

This is why basic-level investment advice is shady. Much of investment and value has to do with confidence. It could be that the people who shouted him down had money were making money hand over fist from the bubble, and they didn't want anything to shake the confidence that people had, which would cause the bubble to burst.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jastiger posted:

What is it about then?

Mercenary persuasion

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mouth/throat cancer is way way way worse than lung cancer, or at least it's more gruesome. At least with lung cancer you can have an open casket funeral.

From what I understand, in the 1970s, the sugar lobby pulled the same kinds of shenanigans - sugar is good for you! eat tons of sugar! - as the tobacco companies had previously.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

twistedmentat posted:

This is why I stick to whiskey and rum based drinks. All that sounds gross.

Thing is V8 is advertised as a healthy alternative to pop and juice and milk.

1/10 the sugar of juice, 10x the sodium.

vOv. That's why "healthy" is a bullshit marketing category.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I worked in bars in Canada it wasn't unusual for people to order beer with a side of clam.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Can anyone explain the "Starbucks Cups" thing? Is it some retarded bullshit :downswords: "Urban Liberals War on Christmas" thing?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What is the actual deal with the cups, then? What did they add/remove?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hah

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sentient Data posted:

I think this is an example of the opposite of the intention of the thread. I'm willing to bet that the whole initial controversy is completely staged, just like how several different video game and movie publishers paid for "Christian protests" of their own properties as advertising

I had literally no clue about the cup change until I saw the counter-outrage posts appear everywhere at once, and the net effect is threat Starbucks' logo is plastered EVERYWHERE in the most benign controversy ever, and Starbucks doesn't even have to look like it took the wrong side, it's just a vague "those cooky religious nuts" in the wrong while Starbucks gets literally millions in free advertising

I was thinking the same thing. The first place I heard about the "controversy" was via Reddit, which was overrun by that bullshit. Really, who would give a gently caress or even notice that the cups were changed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Danger Mahoney posted:

The switch from "selling to rural workers" to "selling to urban and suburban assholes" happened around 1995 and you can kind of track the transition from the commercials and the price. The commercials went from showing a farmer, to showing a contractor, to showing recreation activities as the price went from $9k to $32k for the base model.

So you end up with people who actually need pickups buying late nineties Ford Rangers while assholes buy their dick replacement.

Hm. That's actually really interesting and it explains a lot. My dad drove Ford pickups all through the 80s. I think he was trading in every year, in fact, and getting a new ones, and it was something I've wondered about because my Dad has never in his life been a big spender. Then in 1990 he switched to a Mazda B2200, which he drove until the late 90s, after which he didn't drive trucks anymore. That the price started to spike around 1990 would totally be the cause of his abandoning his long-time brand loyalty.

(there's a Ford black friday ad at the top of my browser right now.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sleeveless posted:

Ironically the whole "real women look like this" movement has just made treating skinny women like poo poo even more socially acceptable. I have a friend who is naturally rail-thin and it's shocking to me how people will think nothing of asking if they have an eating disorder or shame their appearance.

Rondette posted:

Yeah that is poo poo and I hate it. That whole 'real women' thing is embarrassing, it makes me cringe.

When I lost a load of weight (through cutting out the poo poo I was eating and mainly eating soups and stir fries for 3 months or so) people thought nothing of commenting on it and not always in a positive way either. I also noticed some friends starting to treat me ever so slightly differently. It's hard to explain, but it was almost like I'd done wrong by them by losing weight. It was a subtle change but I felt some people distanced themselves from me, like being thin meant I couldn't be one of their mates. Weird.

Yep. I'm not super into gender studies topics, but I find this issue fascinating because how it marketing and public opinion and propaganda weave through it. The whole "Photoshop Free" is a faux-healthy movement that displaces the responsibility from industry standards to a piece of technology. All of the "Real Beauty" talk that follows is just the same bullshit approach to fashion and beauty with the same values but slightly altered standards to make it seem "progressive" and "feminist," while hiding that it's still technologically-driven body policing.

I also read somewhere that the rail-thin standards for models began in the late Victorian/Early Edwardian era, well-antedating "Heroin Chic," for all of the design reasons mentioned above. I guess fabric just hangs better, or at least more predictably, on thin bodies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sleeveless posted:

Ironically the whole "real women look like this" movement has just made treating skinny women like poo poo even more socially acceptable. I have a friend who is naturally rail-thin and it's shocking to me how people will think nothing of asking if they have an eating disorder or shame their appearance.

Rondette posted:

Yeah that is poo poo and I hate it. That whole 'real women' thing is embarrassing, it makes me cringe.

When I lost a load of weight (through cutting out the poo poo I was eating and mainly eating soups and stir fries for 3 months or so) people thought nothing of commenting on it and not always in a positive way either. I also noticed some friends starting to treat me ever so slightly differently. It's hard to explain, but it was almost like I'd done wrong by them by losing weight. It was a subtle change but I felt some people distanced themselves from me, like being thin meant I couldn't be one of their mates. Weird.

Yep. I'm not super into gender studies topics, but I find this issue fascinating because how marketing and public opinion and propaganda weave through it. The whole "Photoshop Free" is a faux-healthy movement that displaces the responsibility from industry standards to a piece of technology. All of the "Real Beauty" talk that follows is just the same bullshit approach to fashion and beauty with the same values but slightly altered standards to make it seem "progressive" and "feminist," while hiding that it's still technologically-driven body policing.

I also read somewhere that the rail-thin standards for models began in the late Victorian/Early Edwardian era, well-antedating "Heroin Chic," for all of the design reasons mentioned above. I guess fabric just hangs better, or at least more predictably, on thin bodies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A dumb move in marketing but a triumph in old man weird poo poo awesomeness.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NLJP posted:

Bit of a palate cleanser and I'm sure a lot of you have seen these before (and they may have been posted in this very thread) but I was just reminded of these great German ads:
For Edeka, a supermarket:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQyjI7UsGTU

Blixa Bargeld reads the Hornbach catalogue (hardware store)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6DqRlG1YWU

Translation:
Flying Insect Destroyer with blue lamp: 72 watts, CE approved. Works fast, painless and Hygienic. Chemical free, environmentally friendly. Hornbach, there is always a solution. [sic. there is always something to be done]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gRQAZ93ihY
Translation: Impact Drill PSB 1000 RCA, 1010 Watt. With integrated dust extraction. Maximum drill performance in concrete 16mm, maximum torque 17 newton meters. Auto-lock, incidence angle control. Hornbach, there is always a solution.

edit:Translation might actually hurt the poetry but gently caress it it's there for anyone who is interested.

The bargeld ones own. But is that the same supermarket that above did the weird one with the old guy who owns because he fakes his own death to achieve dinner?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If you have celiac you have been glutened by a million loving things, even gluten free things that have been cross contaminated, which wreck your body for a minimum of a day. Your whole body hurts feels like you got wasted the night before, drank mexican water, and ran into a wall full speed about a half dozen times. Your skin burns and you poo poo out everything you've eaten in the last 48 hours, including the mucous lining of your intestines and it hurts the whole time. Your stomach swells up like you're pregnant and you can read your pulse by looking down at your belly.

And then people say a million annoying questions like "Are you suuuuuuuure you have celiac? I read it was made up. Are you just saying that because you're paleo? Don't you want to have a little bit of this cake? It can't be that bad, I would just eat this all the time if I was sick and deal with it."

That sucks. I wouldn't wish that on anyone but my thirty worst enemies. I have an acquaintance who swells up like she's 9 mos pregnant if she has gluten.

You ever read the restaurant thread though? It's full of stories of people who are are exasperated at bending over backwards for customers who make over-the-top requests for gluten-free items (and other allergens). This includes the woman who walks into a bakery cafe demanding gluten free versions of everything, because she's celiac, never mind that it's a production bakery, and so there's already airborne flour. This includes the guy who goes into a restaurant and rudely demands specially-prepared versions of everything to avoid gluten cross contamination, derailing the line just to help meet his needs, and then as his food arrives he promptly rams a free bun into his mouth and dumps regular soy sauce on everything. These kinds of people are extremely disruptive in food service, and people get very tired of dealing with them. Mind you, the horror stories about faked gluten allergies aren't the only ones - the most cringe-inducing one in the thread's lore is about a salt allergy.

Now, I'm not challenging your experience in any way, but it's possible that sometimes the people who are dipshits to you are just conflating you with someone who has caused some kind of problem for them in the past. This is the side-effect of "Gluten Free" being on every stupid label which could ever have it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Ads on public transit often occupy that weird spot on the Venn diagram where "big enough buy to be seen by lots of people" and "small enough buy that nobody in the production chain realizes it's completely incomprehensible" overlap.

I've seen some really slick transit ads/campaigns though, too. The more effective ones work through the force of repetition rather than individual exposures. IE once you've seen it for the 100th time on the commute to your crappy retail job, the ad for the "college" located behind the escalator in the mall (no, not the good mall) which says it can help you "become a paralegal!" will be speaking to you in a different way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:staredog:

Holy poo poo. I'm posting this to IOSM right now if it isn't there already.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brazen bull.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maxwell Lord posted:

To be sure building brand awareness is 90% of advertising. But there are caveats. You want brand associations in people's minds to be positive (Buzz cola is the best!) or at least neutral (Buzz cola is a brand of cola that I can buy). Negative associations can be bad, as can ads that don't really build up an association with the product itself.

I remember there was a Miller Lite campaign featuring "Miller Lite ads by Dick", which were just these goofy little comedy spots, sometimes funny by commercial standards, that didn't really say anything about the beer- and this campaign was ultimately considered a failure because people weren't making that link.

The part of the equation you're missing is the target demographic. Sometimes (caveat: not always. Bad ads exist.) a strangely-presented or bad ad seems that way becuase the ad is not trying to speak to you.

So sure, there are a bunch of young men featured in the commercial, but know who devours that "lolrandom" poo poo? 10-13 year old boys. If Mountain Dew succeeds in becoming "a thing" with boys that age through "puppymonkeybaby," then when those boys start having disposable income and telling you what they'll be doing to your mother on XBox Live, Mountain Dew has a leg up.

Nobody in this thread was going to buy that product no matter how it was presented.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seems to me that Google's advertising model is to let just enough people support themselves off of youtube revenue that people think that it is possible to support yourself off of youtube revenue, so people keep creating content and putting it on their network basically for free.

Essentially lottery tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's not advertising anything. It's just a stock photo. I saw it on reddit earlier today.