Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I needed this today, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:stonklol:

It's like a train wreck, I can't look away

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sweeperbravo posted:

for those interested in a briskly paced and very amusingly written overview of how tragically stupid medicine was for most of the past few millennia I recommend Strange Medicine: A Shocking History of Real Medical Practices Through the Ages by Nathan Belofsky. I just finished it like a week or so ago so it really makes a poignant and depressing contrast with the information in the above quote. It's wild how little medicine had to do with science across many cultures for such a long time, despite the occasional doctor speaking up to say "Uh actually I've cut open hundreds of bodies and never seen 'green humour' so" it was like just a contest for who was the most effective and persuasive bullshitter.

There is also the Sawbones podcast (and now book!),

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Again there is actual literature on this that I'm not up to date on but having your first language, that you primarily think in, being not your main verbal and written language could possibly be harmful, yes

Sign is loving great but it's pictogram simple compared to the syntax of a language like spoken English

We did baby sign language for our kids, it was very helpful to be able to see the "milk" and "hungry" and "more" and "all done" gestures when their vocal skills consisted of "aghhbblbllllllll". From what I've understood it doesn't make a meaningful difference in verbal skills on the long term, it just means that the kid knows that they can actually ask for things instead of screeching at you while you try different things by trial and error to see what the gently caress they're upset about. They're still very interested in learning how to talk.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CJacobs posted:

There's a pro-lifer ad on a billboard along the highway near my town that reads "IF UNBORN INFANTS COULD VOTE - THEY'D VOTE TRUMP" with a pic of a fetus to this day.

edit: There is nobody on this planet stupider or more gullible or more easily parted with their money than republicans. If you parrot their gibbering moron sayings, they will give you money for the privilege, because they are that dumb. Pandering to them works easier than it works on anyone else so I'm really not surprised there are signs bearing "WUHAN VIRUS TRUMP'S NOT FIRED BELGIANS IN THE CONGO" meant to attract like-minded people.

WUHAN VIRUS

TRUMP'S NOT FIRED

BELGIANS IN THE CONGO

BURMA SHAVE

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

At least in New England those are very abnormal.

There's occasional anti choice billboards with the usual lies but those are uncommon enough to actually be notable here, along with 1800JESUS or whatever

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

1redflag posted:

When I used to drive down I75 to see family I’d see this billboard regularly (and worse)

Last time it was Pontius Pilate
This time it's Apache Pilot

:dukedog:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Trump relentlessly bragged about how well he did on the "is this person still able to use their brain after a stroke" screening test, doctors never saw anyone take the test as well as he did, etc.

The reality of having a loving blatantly narcissistic and incompetent on the national spotlight

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

Plus I get to grind in extra fat to get the % to 30 %. Yum!

Let's see, content, content, content: ever since I did a writeup about the bigger testicles company on GBS, EVERY ad I get is for that unbelievably horrible looking company. The videos frequently start with the pitchman saying something I really don't want my kids hearing like, "your body contains 5-20 pounds of poop right now!"

Cool, now I have two hyperactive little boys rolling around shouting "poop!" They were sitting quietly, assface!

Sounds like they're too full of poop

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Serperoth posted:

Brazilian food is kind of a rarity where I am

What joke am I missing here

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Whoops, thanks!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

SpaceX posted this at about the same time their latest rocket blew up in flight, which I think made at least two launch failures this month alone. Probably not the best timing in the world.

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1376902938635870209

They've been pretty outspoken that it's likely the rockets that crashed would in fact crash or explode and that if they did it would still give valuable data for development. The parts that are holding the payload are not exploding.

E: seeing the Starship landing remains incredible, we're watching science fiction 2020 actually show up instead of dystopia 2020 for once.

Volmarias has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Mar 31, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How much do you love car?

I don't, it was fun to drive a friend's briefly but I don't want one because musk is still making people put fart apps on instead of solving problems. He's mostly been sidelined at SpaceX though insofar as the literal rocket scientists can tell him "lol no sorry, payload constraints and" if they really need to.

I'm just genuinely stoked that we can at least get ONE future thing from the 50s that isn't murder ants or murder robots or murder bombs or really any murder related things. I think that Space is cool (:jeb:) and having reusable boosters and main stages can genuinely revolutionize the space industry, especially when it's previously been relegated to the ULA which basically existed to just be a monopoly and coast off of sweet launch contracts.

I'm sure I'll regret writing that when the murder satellites come for us but it's still neat :unsmith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

thepopmonster posted:

You really need to untimg for the full glory of this one.

Magnificent. They had to know what they were doing with this one

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SgtScruffy posted:

[video type=""]https://youtu.be/_jG_MPbyPIo[/video] they got Craig Robinson!

:discourse:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Our restaurant carries locally roasted coffee, one variety of which is called Dee's Nuts. Because it is hazelnut, and one of the employees is actually named Dee. This makes sense. And the packaging is classy, so even if you don't know the meme or dont find it funny, it's neither confusing nor embarrassing.

Those sausage bites, which are not nuts at all, are some dumb marketing. You think anyone with a nut allergy is gonna look twice at that snack? Yeah, the ad IS pretty funny, but if I saw them in the store without
having seen it, i wouldn't give them a closer look, I'd just go "nope".

You know they did it for the meme purchases alone.

Dee's Nuts could easily have been written as "Dee's Secret Hazelnut Blend," I think they know full well what they're doing too.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

subpar anachronism posted:

this is the thread where you learn you have an auditory processing disorder

Is that where you learn that your tax return was wrong because someone ran over it?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I have so many questions, but I feel like any answers would only leave me with more.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pentyne posted:

"I, the head person of the organization, am solely responsible for this and I apologize for it" is like the most absolute progressive woke thing a billionaire businessman can do in that situation. Going even further to say "and no, I won't try to pretend like it didn't happen" is even more shocking.

I was expecting they just pull a "we regret the tweet, the social media intern in question has been fired" and try to play it off like nothing happened.

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15HTd4Um1m4

"I'm sorry" by itself is meaningless, as I keep trying to explain to my kids.

I can, however, absolutely see this as a boneheaded yet otherwise innocent mistake.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SiKboy posted:

Its selling people a game on the promise that one day it will be good and have lots of interesting content. A promise which the developers are apparently under no obligation to keep once they have your money, as off the top of my head I actually cant think of any games which delivered their "content roadmap" on anything approaching their original timescale, and many dont deliver it at all. I'm trying to think of any analagous situations where a company can sell a consumer something, then just... choose not deliver part of it.

A good number of kickstarters

Most customized implementation oriented sales, where the salesperson has no incentive to not lie and promise the moon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

The whole roadmap thing is just inherent to games as a service. They can't make content as fast as you can play it, so it's just a way of showing that they've got more stuff planned once you finish the current stuff. Whether the game launches with enough content or adds it at a quick enough pace or fails and gets shut down are separate issues.

That said I'm not really a fan of games a service in general, they quickly end up feeling more like a work than fun. See also: battle passes.

See also: "season" "passes"

Just let me pay the $60 and you keep the "official" servers up for a few years or something, cripes. I don't want to buy access to new maps or whatever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

E: I'm dumb lol

Volmarias has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Apr 27, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Platystemon posted:

The Nintendo Seal of Quality was a better authentication mechanism than that used by NFTs.

I don't know if you're joking but apparently it was in fact a pretty brutal QA testing that they could fail you for if the smallest problem happened, and frequently did. The Nintendo Seal of Quality was actually a great authentication mechanism because it specifically means that a room of angry QA monkeys banged on their controllers enough for Nintendo to endorse it as Probably Ok. You know who is endorsing it and (theoretically) why, and the entity endorsing it is largely trusted to do so.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, it's not exactly surprising that console games have reached a level of sheer complexity that you cannot actually test all the cases, even with massive manpower.

That said, nothing excuses Superman 64.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'll have you know that these forums are both dead AND gay, something tumblr is not! Tweet again when your infrastructure itself is at a minimum gay, but preferably also dead, and not merely hosting queer content.

Also, why write t.w.i.t.t.e.r., I don't even understand what incentive they're trying to skip.

E: once again even worse than I thought.

Volmarias has a new favorite as of 16:55 on May 6, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Alhazred posted:

Read the replies:ssh:

Holy heck I completely forgot about the female presenting nipples thing, et al. Thanks for the gentle prod!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ponzicar posted:

I'm nostalgic for the days before corporate marketing "got" social media, and it was all poo poo like "post your favorite way to eat our snack food!" and people would endlessly dunk on it.

I'm just glad that marketing people have stopped inviting us to "join the conversation" about their products and or services. I'm ok with publicly flirting with a PR intern.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fruits of the sea posted:

Some more context for that deleted tweet: https://ignemployees.medium.com/an-open-letter-to-leadership-at-ign-ziff-davis-and-j2-global-f7171d5ad42f

Basic summary- management at Ziff Davis gets wind of one of their publications publicly supporting relief efforts in Palestine and deletes the tweet overnight, bypassing IGN’s editorial entirely.

There are some decent journalists at IGN apparently because they put together an exact timeline of events and publish an open letter protesting the deletion. Pretty much all of IGN’s staff sign the letter.

I guess this now counts as dumb marketing since it’s advertising that IGN has exactly zero editorial independence.

Videogame journalism, the last bastion of free speech, is finally undone. There is no more value in their articles, no more interest in critiques of AAA games. 8/10.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cleretic posted:

It's not that bad.

It's about 90% 'daycare for failchildren', and then 10% 'remarkably intensive and well-researched features, mostly on stuff you never thought anyone could care that much about'.

In gaming journalism, just because we're on the subject, that last part manifests as 'for every one feature article on crunch culture and industry-wide sexism, there's about five deep-dives into stuff like the FFVII remake's use of architecture, and about forty glorified press releases and/or weightless reviews on exactly the games that one feature article called out'.

Even within the Journalists themselves, there are multitudes. Dunkey provides both Shitposts, and Actual Thoughtful Analysis over different videos. Come for the laughs, stay for the passionate description

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SpacePig posted:

Back in my day kids would just jump off of poo poo and crash things into stuff and put whatever in their mouth, and their like 7 siblings all did the same. Now everyone has, like, 2 kids or less and they don't do those things. This is worse.

As a parent, I can assure you kids still jump off poo poo, crash things into stuff, and put whatever in their mouth.

:negative:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

teen witch posted:

quote:

A promotional video for the Spanish Tourism Ministry’s recent relaunch of the country as a tourism destination aimed especially at British and other European markets called “You deserve Spain”

To be fair, you can read this somewhat sarcastically, like "You deserve Spain, you dumb piece of poo poo"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

7of7 posted:

My friend's condo pool is staying closed for the same reason. Apparently the company they contract to maintain the pool and provide lifeguards imports workers from overseas normally.

It's weird as hell. Like are there no local teens who would want to be lifeguards?

Local teens tend to have inconvenient things like "school" and "parents" and "labor laws" and "skin colors that will make people sympathetic to them"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm guessing it's a truck for hauling horses in trailers, but the alternative definition of "horse truck" is far more appealing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Haifisch posted:

I'm a fan of the part where they ran their plan by risk management professionals, the professionals shat their pants at just how terrible of an idea it was, and Hoover went ahead and did it anyway.

That was my favorite too. Such a perfect opportunity to bail out of the scheme but they just doubled down on it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Len posted:

It's honestly kind of impressive watching the internet sour on it more and more each year

It's no longer an actual brave stance to take. The public has gotten much more accepting and so the marketing department figures they can score a few "progressive" points without risking anything more than paying for an ad campaign that underperforms, maybe. Worse, companies that aren't actually good, officially or otherwise, to the queer employees, communities, etc are being justly called out for hypocrisy.

HopperUK posted:

What? No, you pour them out, separate by colour, and make sure there are an equal number of each colour by eating the excess. Then you eat them in groups so there are always equal numbers of each colour left.

Heathen.

This fellow broke brain gets it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Less that and more that pirating the content is something of a national pastime, so entering the market is a pretty questionable decision when everyone already has your product.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Steam actually cleaned up in Russia by actually making the stuff legally available at affordable prices, not a ridiculous markup like everything else. (see also why Australians rampantly pirate)

A thing media companies are eager to get on board with, as evidenced by the fragmentation of streaming platforms in lieu of just using a couple!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Blue Moonlight posted:

The thing to remember about streaming fragmentation is that a lot of the current pain is attributable to the fact that media companies aren’t exactly nimble.

So as short-sighted and long-lived exclusivity deals start expiring, and as companies and services merge in an overall consolidation of the media landscape (see Disney+Fox, and Warner+Discovery), it’ll settle down again. The halcyon days of “Oh gently caress, we don’t have a streaming service, better just sell this poo poo to Netflix so we can all get our new yachts this year” are over, but the trend, slowly but surely, is towards simplicity.

This is not a pleasing thought either.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zedprime posted:

They're calling the bluff of every person who said they'd love to pick up $75 a month of a la carte cable channels instead of the $150 mega pack of 900 garbage channels and 3 good ones. Looking at what we say we want or expect we can get, this fragmentation is the stable part inbetween the monopolization or consolidation of market disruption.

Sure, but that $75 is now added to the $75 internet subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The most laughably stupid own goal.