Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

that mcdonalds thing... I saw it pop up on my Facebook Feed. I hope this doesn't mean it's going to be successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dr Scoofles posted:

The new Aygo campaign is a bit, uh...

ok ok, I'll go 'fun' myself. I'm sure every person who hears the advert or sees the billboard automatically thinks 'go gently caress myself?'

l'hashtag

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mostlygray posted:

I live in Burnsville, a suburb of the Twin Cities in the upper mid-west. My convenient takeout food choices are Thai, North-East Africa, Mediterranean, Russian, Nepalese, and Korean. Those are within 5 minutes driving distance and I live well outside the inner ring metro. I'm not including the standard fast-food crap, Green Mill kind of poo poo, all of the ones I list are absurdly good food.

Within easy walking distance I have a commercial donut store that has a great dining room (only open until 9-10am), a family restaurant with the best tater-tot hotdish you've ever had, and a barbecue joint that's been featured on Man vs. Food (not that I'm proud of that).

Don't assume the mid-west is boring. I like ham and potatoes, I also like Seafood Rad Na and dol sot bi bim bop. The African place has something they call a "Sport Platter" that will make you cry it's so good. If we go out for lunch at work, we have to choose which of the 2 or 3 sushi places we prefer.

When you make an assumption, you make an rear end of you, and umption.

I'm from the midwest and my family and their friends all make the worst, most bland food imaginable (like another poster said, salad with a shitload of mayo). Going out literally meant going to loving Applebee's.

So in conclusion, your anecdotal evidence has been destroyed by mine. Owned.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Des Moines is actually a void. I don't care how many people tell me it's a thriving hub of culture, it sucks. There are some places in Iowa with large migrant populations that have good Mexican and Vietnamese food, but Des Moines is not one of them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol..

anyway, did Quiznos appropriating "We like the mooon" rat thing from rathergood pay off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6insZjCfU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I like that one haha. I'm sure it got everyone at the expo's attention. I hope they had a large sign in the lobby with the cool surfing coffin.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Chill out man; maybe enjoy a nice refreshing bottle of Bud Rape. I don't think they're actively campaigning for it either. I just don't see it with this one, I guess. It's about as rapey to me as Nike's "Just Do It".

Are you being serious?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah. It just seems like an ill-advised campaign.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

Dumb move in marketing: In 2002, the people of Lauderhille Florida wanted to promote their town with a ceremony for the upcoming Martin Luther King Day. They got celebrated black actor James Earl Jones as their featured speaker, and commemorated a plaque and some stamps. Somewhere along the line, someone hosed up hard:

James Earl Ray shot MLK

lol oops

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Midget Fist posted:

I love reading this thread, and some of the examples of poor marketing are great. But my favourite stuff definitely has to be the last few pages. It never fails to amuse me when companies try to market to a group that isn't really a group, like 'millenials', and they totally fail. I even went searching on the internet for more examples but didn't find that many, does anyone else have any good ones to list, good examples of marketers totally messing up with millenials and costing a company huge money?

Nice try, marketing department.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Haha that's awesome

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Unfortunately while the station got sued for over a hundred million, it looks like all the DJs (who were really responsible) just switched jobs to elsewhere in the country and avoided much issue. :smith:

One apparently even changed his name.

You'd think they'd be chased out of the radio business after that stunt, but nope.

Yeah in the Wikipedia article it even says that two of the DJs sued for wrongful termination of their contract. :psyduck:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

e: Last Chance, I love your avatar!
Thanks, I got it from some yospos thread. No idea where it came from originally tho :(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Maybe no one cares because video games are dumb toys which have always had dumb marketing

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Games Workshop is the company that is best known for producing the Warhammer 40K miniatures games, but before their excursion into the grimmest and darkest future, they made Warhammer Fantasy, which has continued plodding along under the shadow of its younger brother. Just recently, GW announced they were rebooting the Fantasy setting, and everything was going to change forever with the new edition.

It is... well... there are all sorts of crazy monkey-cheese rules, like if you pretend to ride an invisible horse, you can reroll some of your dice. If you have a mustache that's bigger than your opponent's, your hero character gets a bonus. If you yell nonsense at the top of your lungs, your units can charge further. This isn't a joke, this is the official ruleset encouraging its players to be as obnoxious as possible during games. I can only imagine what the stores that host these games are going to look like, or how long it takes before all this nonsense is banned by the various shops these games are played in.

To prove I'm not joking:

Oh, and also, there are no rules for the 'point cost' of the various units. You can just put as many little miniatures on the table as you want, and there's no kind of balance to control for that. Just give as much money to GW as you can spare, and you'll win! Unless you're playing against somebody who has even more disposable income and even less sense.

From the thread in Traditional Games:

I've never even played, but watching this whole meltdown unfold over in TG has been absolutely delicious.

EDIT: A few more for the road

That does sound like a dumb game. Is there any dumb marketing campaigns that go with it?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Every game ever is a silly waste of time and lol if you don't spend every minute of off-time either studying your rear end off or sitting in a dark room motionless pretending you're a robot in idle mode.

What?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A girl gave me her number once and i called it and she wanted me to join her Amway thing and I told her to gently caress off. I guess I look like a horrible chump loser. The last few pages in this thread make me feel slightly better about myself though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So, yeah, any chance we can shut the gently caress up about that dumb game

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You mean to tell me, that the space elves were deprived of an update for over a decade. Unbelievable. I mean, it's the loving space elves for crying out loud. Elves. In. Space.

They deserve better.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My mind is still reeling

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lol that people think coffee is good

apparently you don't hang with enrique

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Also the whole "Kick a Ginger" thing

Elaborate.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

queserasera posted:

Plebes. I get Enrique to murmur endearments to my loved ones.

lol the Enrique stuff was the best. This has been a good page for laughs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mescal posted:

This is so boring I can't talk myself into the sentences. I have no idea what this is about. Looks like it's written by an economist? Or a general-purpose ideas person? I don't know.

Occasionally this thread spirals into people complaining about video game companies and warhammer creators changing their beloved toy prices or whatever. It's always dull and nearly incomprehensible.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Almond milk is loving awesome, tastes great and doesn't give me runny, disgusting shits.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Intrusive but still pointless ads in games, you say?

Seriously, what kid has influence over which brand of banana is purchased?

it's called brand recognition . Gotta plant the seeds early

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Just saw a truck go by plastered in ads, carrying this stuff:

Their tagline was "Have you tried it?" ;)

Haha, how clever. Because the name of our brand is a sex act. How titillating!

I mean I guess in a way the ad "worked" because I'm posting about it now, but its pretty stupid, and I instantly don't trust any vodka that has to use sex. Good Vodka just advertises that its good vodka. This stuff isn't, I'm guessing, very good.

Its like if Budweiser tried to take those commercials where they make it look like the beer gets you the attention of hot ladies, and then completely re-branded the company around it. Introducing NAKED HOT CHICKS beer! You're sure to have a good time with NAKED HOT CHICKS!

Also they had a big logo for GF - GLUTEN FREE CERTIFIED but considering its distilled alcohol, I would really hope so. In retrospect though I guess it is flavored vodka though and I guess some brands use flavor additives that have gluten? :v:

All I see when I read this post is: "They used sex? Pfft. Clever. Sex act. Titillating! Don't trust sex. Hot ladies. NAKED HOT CHICKS beer! NAKED HOT CHICKS!"

and I think that undermines your thesis of how this is a dumb move in marketing

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean other than "I skimmed your post"

All I see when I read this post is "think undermines thesis dumb" which doesn't make much sense to me??

I just think it's funny that this vodka ad got you so fired up about sex that you were sputtering about titillation, naked women and partying with alcohol. This was the exact goal of the ad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bast Relief posted:

Yay it's VALENTINES!!!

God drat this country makes me hate all celebrations and holidays.

Anyway, don't really watch TV or movies, but I do listen to free Pandora, and let me tell you, Shane Co. has got some diamonds for your whooooo-er of a girlfriend/wife. One add is a chick getting miffed at lingerie as a gift, so naturally, you dumb idiot, diamonds! The other add is a girl telling her boyfriend, explicitly "we're not going all the way" without something better than hockey tickets, which he thought was a great V-day gift.

How about no gifts ever? You dumb people don't deserve to be loved.

Glad me and the bf don't do this poo poo.

ETA: WWED? (What would Enrique do?)

Actually Enrique does all of my gift shopping and love making for me

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

davidspackage posted:

People were one-upping each other with increasingly snobbish remarks in a coffee discussion in, I think, the Life Hacks thread. I said something about having your manservant Enrique grind your beans. To this day, it remains the most memorable achievement in my life.

I thought it started in this thread

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah here you go

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686051&pagenumber=102

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gently caress you I know how to use the internet, I don't need you Enriqueing my post.

I purposefully linked to the beginning of the page so readers could get the full context

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

AtomD posted:

And what? Just not market to you while you're on the shitter? Motherfucker do you think you're entitled to your time? Your first responsibility as a human being is being the best consumer you can possibly be. It's the future, and you're having a dream. In the dream you're looking at a waterfall. The waterfall is made out of Red Bull brand energy drink. You wake up feeling great. Your bathroom mirror is already checking #RedBullWaterfall. An endless stream of people from all over the world enjoying top-tier brand engagement. Such a great dream! Plus you get 12 extra BullPoints for just having it.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine an hand-crafted, personal, premium piece of footwear stomping on a human face - for $6 a month

naah but it's fun bein all cynical

This post made me laugh while waiting for surgery thank you good person

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:stare:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Moddington posted:

The minion gif only showed up for a split second for me and refuses to show up again, looks like it's not fully working as intended.

They pulled it because it pissed people off and some got fired or something

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/715752594551869440

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

CommonShore posted:

but like, what is life but acting, man? We are man, like, totally wearing masks every day of our lives. Do we be? Or do we just seem to be? What is being but acting? And it like, be can only be be when we get to the finale of seem.

I'll have what this person's having

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ravenkult posted:

Your husband has never heard of Fallout, Terminator and Robocop?

One of these things is not like the other in terms of general public awareness. Can you spot it?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I often collapse in the grocery store toothpaste aisle due to the sheer freedom of it all..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Shut the gently caress up about boxes.

Who's your favorite Colonel from the KFC commercials? I'm partial to Jim Gaffigan.

Norm