Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HOLY gently caress posted:

They weren't fantastic or anything but I liked them and after they did this I couldn't bring myself to buy them anymore. :smith:

That reminds me of McDonalds and the ArchDeluxe, which was advertised with the idea that kids don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

What makes me think it's too good to be an honest accident is the black tie formed by the reflection of the "mustache" in the body of the kettle. It's not just a kettle that looks like Hitler, it's also just the perfect angle and lighting to emphasize its Hitlerness.

I was at a JC Penney today and they totally have the Hitler kettle set up in a display.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

Buick's "we don't suck anymore" campaign reminded me of Domino's "We don't suck anymore" campaign.

A while back Digiorno was advertising their new sauce. Now you go to the store and see the boxes stating the sauce is back to normal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flaggy posted:

The reason that movies have so many ads in front of them is simple, the studio makes money selling the ads, and its really the only place anymore that you can't change the channel, you can't fast forward. Basically movie audiences are the most attentive audiences due to not being able to control it.

Pretty sure those are all theater based because the one in my area doesn't have any "ad" ads before movies. Once it starts you just get trailers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Has Alltel been posted here yet? That small cellphone company from the mid 2000s with their ads which portrayed the competitor phone companies as "DnD and Star Trek" nerds and their own brand as a guy named Chad with a retarded haircut and a punchable face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1jfofjPtEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgnSgW-xz3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuftRh3QUsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBxHG4vfKw

Yes, the other guys are "dumb" but they're also cartoon caricatures of an obsolete stereotype, and your own guy is just actively contemptible. For christs sake you named him "Chad."

edit: Oh the actors name is Chad. Well, they should have changed it.

The funniest part is that partway through the ad campaign Alltel got bought by I believe TMobile, so all of a sudden TMobile no longer had a nerd in their commercials.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

I believe at one point S/M/L/XL was standard, but that needlessly complicated the menu and added logistical overhead. I think they dropped "small" because their target audience does indeed believe bigger = better, plus as mentioned if you give people 3 options they tend to be drawn to the middle one. So by making large the "default" option they get to sell more fries and soda, and by sticking with M/L/XL instead of just re-naming the larger sizes S/M/L they maintain continuity in their menu (so that people don't go "hey why is the medium suddenly $0.30 more?!")

I'm pretty sure they dropped back down to S/M/L a while back, though.

Its definitely not a money thing at McDonalds because all their soda sizes are one price.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DeadmansReach posted:

Most soda fountains have regulators to adjust the ratio of carbonated water to syrup. Many fast food chains have their own ideal setting.

Coke also pushes their "Coke Freestyle" machine which does things a little different in terms of how stuff is mixed.

Fatkraken posted:

oh man, someone linked that entire deposition in one of the comic threads or something, it's like 60 pages but the whole thing is MASSIVE pro-click.

It's less "dumb moves in marketing" more "dumb fucks thinking they can run a company on high fives and promises" without ever getting anything down on paper or getting actual grownups involved (not that these were kids, just acting like it). Both sides come off as a bit unprofessional but I'd say Gaiman ends up about 90% in the right, especially as it's the company (ie image and McFarlane) that has the obligation to act like a real company and not gently caress over their freelancers.

The whole thing is doubly ironic considering McFarlane and co split from the big two because of character ownership rights.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pentyne posted:

Isn't the problem with Bitcoin that its impossible to convert to cash? No one is trading cash for bt anywhere, just shuffling bt back and forth.

I'm not sure if they still do it but if you used a service they would just take the bitcoin and give the retailer cash. If the retailer just accepts it on their own then yes, they can't cash out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

McDonald's is, if nothing else, consistent. Granted the quality of the food has also gone downhill for my entire memory. It was never all that good but it was never as awful as it was now. Even so every McDonald's tastes about the same. You know what you're getting in any McDonald's you stop at between California and Massachusetts. Because the company is old, has deep pockets, and the franchise used to be a good investment because of brand recognition your bog standard McDonald's generally occupied prime real estate as far as location goes. They tend to be built in places with loads of traffic. That and advertisement spamming keeps them fresh in your mind. They're extremely visible, always convenient, and wherever you're going there is probably a McDonald's along the way.

The other thing is that McDonald's is still FAST food. You can get your food in less than five minutes usually, versus a half hour minimum at a bar and grill.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That Robox posted:

I seem to remember a while back it came out that McDonalds had tried to pay rappers to mention the Big Mac in their music and not one would do it.

In the mid 00s they had a commercial that was a viral video, that they had bought the rights to, of a guy standing outside a McDonalds "rapping" about mcnuggets. Turns out the guy was a young Thomas Middleditch (of HBO's Silicon Valley) and he's said that the video was produced to make fun of McDonalds, they just didn't realize it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

Totinos seems to be leaning pretty hard on alt internet nerd comedy, several podcasts I listen to are sponsored by them now and My Brother My Brother And Me did an entire sponsored Totinos-focused episode.

Don't they have a commercial running now with voice over by Jason Mantzoukas?

Krispy Kareem posted:

That happened with the first iPhone too. It was a buggy mess at its announcement and Steve Jobs had to follow a very precise series of steps to avoid revealing how beta the OS was.

And if that wasn't enough pressure he then decided the plastic screen would be much better as glass.

I wonder how many product announcements are barely functioning devices.

Videogame demos at trade shows are notorious for stuff like that. They'll have stuff where someone is showing off a "playable demo" of a game, leaving out the fact that everything is tightly scripted that way and nothing about it actually works.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WebDog posted:

Of course every kid in the 90's no doubt loved these gloriously un-PC lollies:

And that's on the low-end of candy cigarettes, others would come with authentic branding. Some had powered sugar in them that you could blow out as "smoke". They slowly got pulled as studies were coming out to show they made smoking look completely harmless

Nowdays they're still sold,with look-alike-branding, but most are called "candy sticks".

When I was a kid (in the 80s) I remember two different kinds of candy cigarettes. There were ones that were just candy sticks that were kind of colored like cigarettes and ones that were gum in paper wrappers made up to look like cigarettes. They were the ones with the sugar dust in them that you could blow out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You don't even necessarily need to go that far. For a lot of things you can slap a label of "health food" on it if you have "an expert" declare that it is, in fact, healthy. It doesn't even need to be a nutritionist, really. Plus you get garbage like a study comes out that says "people who eat oats have a slightly lower risk of heart disease" leads to cheerios saying "may reduce the risk of heart disease so eat up and live forever!"

Other than that health conscious people aren't always the best informed. Which is why you see "a naturally fat free food!" on bags of candy as if being zero fat but all sugar and nothing else somehow makes it healthy.

The rampant misinformation from the food industry doesn't make eating healthy easier.

A couple of years ago one of the big cereal companies got in trouble because they put labels on all their kids brands saying that they were good for the immune system when they didn't really have any proof.

Choco1980 posted:

Ah yes, Pie-face. Just a simple plastic lever and cardboard cutout that Hasbro totally fumbled on making a mint on. around a year ago that clip you see in the commercial of the grandpa and his grandson playing it and cracking up was a viral video, I think like Ellen might have shown it on her show too, because one of the things she does is steal cute kid youtube videos because it's pandering easy ratings. So then everyone in the "grandparent" demographic wanted to get their hands on that game after seeing the delightful funny family bonding moment. Turns out the game was only sold in the UK, so if you wanted to buy it, you had to pay SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars. It's a game that is so simple and and bare-bones that you'd think Hasbro would jump on it and sell them hand over fist. Nope, it didn't reach American markets til now, a YEAR AND A HALF later, when people have already forgot about it.

The thing I find bizarre about the game is that you can't even play it out of the box and have to provide your own whipped cream.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I once worked with a stunningly beautiful young woman who tried and couldn't get work as a model because she was like 5' 9" which was apparently too tall for anyone to hire her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nemw0KkHRAs

I'm always seeing this commercial playing on TV, and holy poo poo is it pretentious

The "first box free" thing reminds me of how Blue Apron advertises saying that you can get like three or so meals free but what they fail to mention is that you only get that if you pay for multiple orders.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

I had the N64 Mission Impossible and he was a dick about that one too. The main character ended up looking kinda like Ethan Hawke I think.

I believe his started issue was that he didn't want to be involved with something where he wasn't in control of how he would appear.

In other news, turns out the FTC has decided to start cracking down on celebrity Instagram/Twitter product endorsements. They've decided that the gravy train is done and that if a company wants a celeb to sell the product they have to be unambiguously clear that they are getting paid to promote.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It already exists, that's why there has been such a huge tussle about YT stars secretly endorsing products recently. And the answer is probably hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Yeah, the FTC recently gave Warner Bros a public scolding about how crappy their disclosure stuff was on paying YT people to promote a videogame.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tofu Terry posted:

I think this is the thread this fits in. My peanut butter doesn't have an expiration date but it does say "PARTIALLY PRODUCED WITH GENETIC ENGINEERING"

M&Ms have a small label on them stating they were made with GMO products.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm doing a Let's Read of an absolutely awful pulp book series, Superhawks, which is basically just a revenge fantasy about Americans with unlimited budget and zero oversight getting revenge for 9/11 by massacring everyone involved (plus their families and children, and occasionally blowing up civilians just in case). There's a scene in the first book where the protagonists that you're supposed to be rooting for throw dead pigs into a mass grave with dead terrorists as a way of denying them paradise.

That was a bit in the not really written by Tom Clancy Tom Clancy novel The Teeth of the Tiger. The "good guys" shoot a bunch of terrorists who are attacking a mall and then one of the good guys sees a dying terrorist and runs into a sporting goods shop to get a football and tells the terrorist how he just gave him some pigskin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Drew meme ended up on The Daily Show not too long ago as part of a joke about memes.

Zinkraptor posted:

As a guy who had to make all the eggs at McDonald's - we had to crack open real eggs. We had these little circle molds we dumped the egg into. Trying to crack like 12 eggs in a row in quick succession without making a mess was not fun.

I think the egg sleeve thing was something they stopped doing a decade or so ago.

I worked at a McDonalds in the late 90s and even then they were using real eggs for the McMuffins and a pre-scrambled mix for the other kind.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Saw this in the wild today. This thread needs some life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAMmQdnfPY8

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

And then he was in a phone call with some marketers on how not to be racist and complained because people let Colonel Sanders say the N word.

Afterwards he started claiming he was pressured into using the N-word by the marketing people and then they tried to blackmail him into paying them money or they would release the tape.

Then the family of Col Sanders came out and said he certainly did not say the N-word when talking about black people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Somehow Malaysia got Coke Zero, Coke Reduced Sugar + Stevia, and sugar-free coke which has the standard red packaging but with a black band stating that it contains no sugar. The latter is the only one I like the taste of, the other two gave me headaches for some reason.

Isn't Coke+Stevia marketed in America as "Coke Life"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Grabbed a screenshot in case that Tweet gets deleted:

Always nice to get a preview of next week's Munch Squad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

I am extremely uncomfortable with "Got Your Money" by ODB/Kelis being in commercials. :geno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEwxtg35BUo

There's a car company (I think it is Cadillac) that uses an instrumental version of a Run the Jewels song.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phanatic posted:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/safety-warehouse-giveaway-fake-5-notes-used-to-dupe-hamilton-bar/WNIGYIISSGLN6STNBGKK26ZQ3I/

Fake money from a controversial promotional cash-drop in Auckland has been used to dupe a bar into providing free drinks in Hamilton.

On Saturday work apparel company The Safety Warehouse hosted a $100,000 cash drop in central Auckland's Aotea Square.

Tensions flared when some of the money turned out to be discount vouchers for the online store, printed to look like $5 notes.

In the Banksy documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop he talks about how at one point he planned to do a piece involving fake money but pulled it at the last second because he didn't want a situation like this to happen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HopperUK posted:

The Chipmunks version of Semi-Charmed Life edits out and alters most of the innuendo.

Most of it.

Kidz Bop did a version of Born This Way that cuts out all the references to LGBTQ stuff, so, you know, kind of messes up the point of the song.

Henchman of Santa posted:

There’s a DJ Shadow song from a couple of years ago that keeps getting put in commercials and stopping just before El-P comes in saying “Picture this, I’m a bag of dicks, put me to your lips”

That's Cadillac and they do an instrumental version of Nobody Speak.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wendy's is doing ads preemptively declaring victory.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the food delivery companies did something similar this year spending millions of dollars on a Super Bowl ad to talk about their $500k donation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, some publishers did DLC while others did a thing where you couldn't play online without a code that was included new in the box or cost like $10. It died off pretty quickly into the PS4/Xbone era probably since both those consoles went hard on digital sales.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Raised By Birds posted:

I like the method Traveler's Tales used to get Sonic 3D Blast to pass Sega's QA tests back in the day: if there's an exception, and the game doesn't know how to deal with it, just dump into level select with text that says "You found a secret!"

IIRC the original PC version of Wing Commander had a bug that caused the program to crash whenever you quit. Which, since you were exiting the game, wasn't exactly priority on their list of fixes. So what they did instead was change the crash message to say "Thank you for playing Wing Commander"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

It feels like there was a weird purge of lime flavor in favor of green apple in a lot of candies a while back and I've never understood why. Green apple seems like one of those flavors that candy makers can't do a good job with, it always tastes a lot sharper than other flavors in a way that doesn't go together with them.

As someone who likes lime and hates green apple flavoring the change over has put me off a lot of fruit flavored candy. I don't know if this is confirmation bias or something like that but its funny how I only ever see people complaining about taking lime away and never anyway saying how they're glad they added green apple.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Volcott posted:

Xfinity had Turner Classic Movies in the sports package for ages. Even when it wasn't that nonsensical, every tier had 3 channels you wanted and roughly 70 you would never watch.

I know that when it started FXX was in sports packages because it was a rebooted version of an underperforming sports channel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Do not photoshop handicapped and blind people into a stock photo in order to demonstrate your diverse hiring practices:

The dude next to the blind guy has a really thick neck. Either that or they photoshopped that head on another body.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

This is actually great because it went viral and they aren’t trying to make money so there’s no real pushback. At least I loved it.

Who, the vampires?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

the next sign said Aragom Court

Strider Court

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Len posted:

I only know Better Help as that company that put ads before every podcast I listened to last year. What makes them awful?

They sell your info the big tech companies and pay bottom of the barrel rates so you're not exactly getting the best therapists. Also they have a system where therapists have a maximum amount they can be paid for a month and if they reach that limit they have to either cut off their patients or work for free.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pretty soft girl posted:

Obvious bullshit and factual errors aside, I have concerns for the safety of anyone who sees synthwave neckbeard mohawk Ken here and thinks "BADASS" but they were probably gonna get their head dunked in a toilet regardless

It actually is traditional in America to learn your martial arts from a guy with weird hair and a made up backstory. See "Count Dante" who advertised in comic books that he could teach you the touch of death.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

They stopped doing that because people started to abuse the system.

Yeah it became a mini industry where rich people would pay a service who would then provide a disabled person to get around waiting in lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

During the Cowboys game tonight there was this long maudlin animated commercial about a son leaving his family farm, which then goes out of business. The commercial ends with him returning, bringing the farm back to life and then revealing that this was somehow a commercial for Chipotle