Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I heard on the radio this morning that there was this mattress store down in Florida that made two stacks of mattresses outside for their Twin Towers sale (all mattresses for the price of a twin size). Then for their TV add, they had two guys fall into the stacks, knocking them over, complete with screaming.

As you can imagine, the ad did not go over well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zereth posted:

They want you to think they said "Natural" without legally having to meet the legal definition of "natural"

There is no legal definition of "natural," last I checked. It's a meaningless term. Maybe they've cottoned that people know this and are jumping on the new meaningless term bandwagon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

buddhist nudist posted:

World of Warcraft solved this by having a wiki for story and lore, and an separate wiki for purely gameplay information so you'll always click on the site that specifically doesn't have the information you want.

Uuuuuuuugh boy motherfucking HOWDY do I wish Bulbapedia would do this. Shunt all the dumb anime poo poo to a dedicated area, please!

And I see Bulbapedia is not alone in this problem. That's just the one I've encountered the most.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They do? Try checking the drop-down contents tab. And there are seperate articles for the particular anime appearances.

Where are you looking? Cuz I just checked Bulbapedia for a random Pokemon (Torchic), and all the anime and manga poo poo is in a big long list before you get to the game data. Even looking from the table of contents, the list of anime poo poo takes up more than half the screen, and my screen isn't small.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just... scroll your wheel down two or three increments to Game Data?

It annoys me that the anime poo poo is front and center and that I need to scroll past it to get to the game data. That was originally what I bitched about. I don't like it.

MizuZero posted:

you could also just check serebii or smogon instead

Mostly I do this instead, yes. gently caress Bulbapedia.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Phanatic posted:

This is why baking recipes usually call out weights, not volumes: the actual amounts of stuff you're putting in are far more important for baking than for regular cooking.

The only time I've ever seen a recipe use weight instead of volume is when I grabbed a British one online. Otherwise all recipes I've ever seen (US) use volume exclusively.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Phanatic posted:

I've never seen a serious book of bread recipes use volume. Typically they'll use actual weights, or a baker's percentage, because that poo poo's important. You might see a recipe that says:

Flour: 100%
Water: 73%
Salt: 2%
Yeast: 1%

Which lets you scale things however you want. If you use 500 grams of flour, then you add 365 grams water, 10 grams salt, 5 grams yeast.

Oh well that's different. You just said baking, not bread specifically. I've never tried baking bread. :shrug:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

oldpainless posted:

What do astronauts even actually do? The job provides no actual tangible benefit to society.

They provide as much benefit as other scientists do.

So, potentially quite a lot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

oldpainless posted:

So I’m yet again correct. Got it.

I mean if you think that science has never provided a tangible benefit to society, then I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

Captain Hygiene posted:

They're probably more nutritious than the average scientist, if you want to get really technical about their potential benefit.

Oh, I hadn't even considered that! They tend to be in much better shape than your average scientist. Very good point!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

It's the holidays so I've started hearing Coca Cola ads on the radio.

Except they're doing their usual thing where they go "This holiday season, share a coke!" etc. Which is a campaign they've had for years at this point.

Except we're still kind of in the middle of a pandemic, where people are in danger of DYING if they meet up face to face, much less share a drink?!

I dunno, strikes me as rather tone deaf.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

They've had a variation of sharing Coke as their marketing for nearly a century at this point. They probably just went autopilot and this slipped past them because they laid off the guy who makes sure they don't do tone deaf or accidentally racist ads due to COVID cutbacks.

Oh I'm sure that's exactly what happened! Which makes it a dumb move in marketing. I wonder if they have or will get any blowback from it, or if people will see it as a return to normalcy like that guy a couple posts up said.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Probably not. I'm sure if I heard it on the radio I wouldn't give it a second thought as I sip some refreshing Coke.

So I should stop being weird and go have a Coke. Gotcha. :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ironically enough, steamed hams are a REAL thing, but in parts of Connecticut, not Albany:
https://www.masslive.com/food/2015/05/connecticut_steamed_cheeseburgers.html

Oh huh... yeah I've had steamed cheeseburgers in Meriden. Not the place mentioned in the article, but a different place. I love 'em. I wasn't aware they were an oddball local thing.

You won't hear me saying anything good about the Yard Goats, though. Nope, that's a travesty.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Whenever I hear the song Melt With You, I remember a post on here, from when it was featured in a Hershey's commercial, that said something along the lines of "It's a song about loving, you fucks".

This is 90% of songs, though. If you disallow every song that's about loving, what's left? :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

As someone who likes lime and hates green apple flavoring the change over has put me off a lot of fruit flavored candy. I don't know if this is confirmation bias or something like that but its funny how I only ever see people complaining about taking lime away and never anyway saying how they're glad they added green apple.

I don't like lime flavor so I'm happy about green apple replacing it. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

If anybody is wondering, and afraid to ask, the reason the six-stripe flag is not the way to go in 2021 is because the six-stripe pride flag is regarded as outdated. Modern pride flags are more inclusive.

I asked some of my LGBTQ+ friends about it and that's the gist of what they told me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

HelleSpud posted:

Because they're feeding eight people off a single income. They get their kids by the half dozen. Are they trying for a TLC show? Are they quiverfull? Did they not know better? After a couple you'd think they recognize a relationship between the Mrs' perpetually gravid state and Cratchit history of raw dogging.

Right and birth control was so effective and widely available back then. :rolleyes:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I have that book, and it is absolutely legit super tasty Thai food.

You can also get a silly apron: https://www.cookingwithpoo.com/shop-1

That looks like the opposite of a bad marketing move, tbh. Lady knows exactly what she's doing and she's leaning into it.

I wish her luck. Actually maybe I'll have a look at that cookbook. I love Thai food.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RoboRodent posted:

I really like neighbourhoods with themed street names. Maybe they're all trees, or all flowers, or types of rocks, or they all start with "Mc." I find it more charming than the alternative. There's a few subdivisions in town that have streets named after the companies that developed them.

But not like this. No. Not like this.

A friend of mine in high school said she used to live in a housing development where the streets were named after Tolkein characters. Her street was Aragorn Court, for example. But sometime years ago the street sign was stolen, and the replacement that got put up said "Aragon Court" and no amount of pleading to the town or whoever would make them correct this mistake. Tragic.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm choosing to believe "mental maturity" means "literally the point at which someone's brain stops maturing", which is in one's mid-20s. The alternative is too gross.

I think if you have to ask what the age of consent is, you've already lost.

"How young of a person can I gently caress before I can get in legal trouble" is not a question you should be asking. Ever. :barf:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

darkfall online was another MMO that bragged about being a sandbox instead of a theme park and then crashed and burned when it turned out to be unplayable rear end lmao

What does that even mean anyway?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

I can see it, I just...don't know what it is. :stare: A pillow for folks who wanna protect their ears (ear piercings, etc)?

It looks like a butt. It is butt-shaped.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The Anime Liker posted:

On one hand I totally get being blackout drunk or high as giraffe balls and "dude I can press a button and there will be gyoza and crab rangoons here" is basically dark wizardry. Like if this existed when I was 21 I definitely would have used it a few times.

And it goes without saying how useful it is for people with disabilities.

But it's so alien to me to want to pay obscene prices for food I can just... get. Like if you're sober and able-bodied, etc., nothing is restricting you, it's loving bizarre to me that you would use food delivery or grocery delivery or whatever. Just as a concept I don't mesh at all with "why walk a few blocks/drive 3 or 4 miles when I can have a worse experience for far more money".

Like this. This is what I can't wrap my head around and why I've never used it.

"My car is in the shop. I'll call a cab." This I get. "I'm watching the kids and everything is in chaos right now and I'm too tired to cook. I'll just order pizza." This I get.

Combining the two and deliberately paying $45 for a sandwich dumped on my doorstep like I'm shunned from society is way out of my wheelhouse.

Suppose your grocery is more than a handful of miles away? Or you don't own a car? Like yeah the corner grocer is a 5 minute drive and I'll get my own dang regular groceries. But if I need/want stuff from the wholesale warehouse that's a good 20-40 minute drive, depending on traffic? Nah, gently caress that. I'll order that poo poo delivered. If that makes me a lazy piece of poo poo so be it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's kind of a crossover with a youtuber niche that focuses on reviewing Disney resorts. These are people who travel around the globe just to watch live Mickey Mouse shows and eat fast food at Disney-themed restaurants for their youtube content. It's extremely weird.

Like movie reviews, or restaurant reviews, they conceivably perform a useful function by letting people see what they're getting for their money so they can make an informed decision about whether it's worth it. When we're talking about Disney resorts and thousands of dollars, I'd say that's a pretty important function. And if people can get paid to travel the world and stay at Disney resorts, then hey, more power to them and I wish them the best in their job.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Speaking of which...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpa8fLQe7O0

I hope they're embarrassed about this. Elon is known as kind of a meme lord, was on SNL, yet the writing and recording leave him flat and unfunny. Not to mention portraying him as anti-environment

On the other hand they get bonus points from me for using an accurate bald eagle cry instead of the generic red-tailed hawk cry that every goddamn raptor gets in every piece of media ever.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zil posted:

There are those blue raspberry waffles....

Okay I give up. What's the bad marketing with blue raspberry waffles?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:psyduck: I remain confused. Sorry I am uncool and don't know what that's slang for.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I will most certainly not be doing that. :colbert: I will find my most tolerant/least likely to make fun of my ignorance friend and ask them.

They will still probably make fun of me a little.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

I'm here to spoil the fun! It's an infamous shock image, a picture of a woman's cooch and she has...some kind of condition, possibly an STD, that is giving her genitals a heavy blue tinge.

Fun fact: there's also a penis version, called SpecialFriedRice.

Bless you, friend.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bargearse posted:

It took way too long for it to click with me that it was the 9/11 memorial. Guess we forgot.

Same. Also I didn't realize the logos were put where the buildings used to me. lmao that's hosed up.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

Oh and people will 100% judge you if you spend food stamps on nice meat or really anything containing sugar. Cashiers will almost always scan down to the bottom of the receipt where it shows what your balance is too.

What the gently caress. I worked at a wholesale warehouse all through college. Some time in they started accepting EBT and I got the little training thingy on how to process them, etc. iirc we basically just treated them like a credit card. I didn't give a single poo poo if people paid for their poo poo with an EBT, and I sure as hell never scanned the receipt to see how much money they had on it.

I was firmly in the "minimize interaction" category. Just let me scan your poo poo, give me your payment, and go home.

The only payments I would internally groan about were checks. I hated processing checks. It took forever and it was always the ancient old ladies who used them, who were slow in general. gently caress checks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I never once looked at different cards and thought “oh a poor,” it’s a card, it works or it doesn’t. The people who had the biggest ugly reaction to having a card decline were never people who needed EBT though, it’s extremely telling. Just like people who would propose making EBT cards visually different because they’re convinced the petty middle school mentality is equal to their moral and/or religious beliefs and justifies treating others like garbage.

Seriously. People need to learn to mind their own loving business.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh yeah? Call me when you get get a train to Hawaii. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

That's mentioned in the comments

Bro you honestly looking me in the eye and advising me to read the comments? :raise:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Forming your entire personality and identity around your old job is so weird.

Ooh look at me, I'm former cashier SMC.

People don't make it any easier not to. So much of your identify is centered around your job. I was unemployed for a long stretch of time and it just felt awkward any time I would meet someone and they'd ask me "What do you do?" Which was pretty much any time I met someone! Kinda sucked. :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

This is the (reader poll) that the sign seems to be about : https://10best.usatoday.com/awards/travel/best-zoo/

As a resident of Orlando I can confirm that Brevard Zoo is spectacular, so this list might hold water. There's a separate list for aquariums.

Huh. The aquarium I used to work at cracked the top ten! (Mystic) Impressive. There was a video circling around from there awhile back of a Mariachi band playing for a beluga, who was very into it. That was also at Mystic.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I'm posting that video, because I just watched it and it's too good not to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS_6-IwMPjM

You are correct, the whale is very into it.

That was the one! Thanks. It was late and I was too tired to hunt for it. The Beluga's name is Juno. He's a good boy.

Beachcomber posted:

I really did think about it, but 99% of people would otherwise never get to see a whale shark or one of the big manta rays, and they're just mind blowing.

We've even swam with whale sharks, which is also extraordinarily cool, but seeing them was still undiminished in wonder.

I wish to know which aquarium (I assume?) I could go to see a whale shark and giant manta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

Where'd they find 610 people dumb enough to say they support surge pricing, silicon valley?

Was going to post about that. That is a ridiculously small sample size and they should be ashamed.