Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Whoah hold on there. Someone still uses WebTV and was able to get it to run Netflix!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm a cat owner and I still feel this is true:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They really need to just redesign the pods to look as industrial and non-imvitimg as possible so people will shut the gently caress up about them already.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Tide pods looking like delicious fruit candy is its biggest selling point -- it's actively poking at our primate brains to acquire the delicious shiny fruit, even if it's not edible.

Maybe a bleach manufacturing company should be more responsible as to not design a product that looks delicious fruit candy. Just a crazy thought. Maybe when designing their products they should steer far away from doing things to make it look desirable to eat. I'm just spitballing here.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Add sequence: OYSTER

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

But then people will eventually just use that ringtone.

I used this dumb ringtone for at least a year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only time male centric advertising worked for me was for some Men's lotion. My hands get really dry during the winter, but I can't stand using lotion because they always leave my hands feeling greasy and since I'm constantly touching gadgets or poo poo that I don't want greasely or dirty. So I saw one commercial pretty much advertised as exactly that. I don't remember the brand. But maybe the marketing didn't work because the next time I went shopping I looked for it and a bottle was freaking $10 when the regular lotions were going for $4.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A Polish autoshop still uses a c
Commodore 64 to do business.

I want that monitor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don't know if it's still the case, but Hulu's ad system was so stupid. Like an episode starts and then you immediately have a commercial before you can even get interested in the show and then 15 minutes later you have an ad block so long you might as well go take a dump while you're waiting. It seemed geared solely to annoy rather than sell a product and wasn't at all tuned to what they were watching. Like do we really need as many ads during the Rockford Files, which is a 40 year old show that probably costs nothing to stream as we do for Hulu's tentpole original productions?

I got ad-free Hulu for my mom for Christmas so that I could use it too. Now it's a decent streaming service, but still too expensive to buy without justifying it as a gift to a loved one.

Hulu got rid of The Rockford Files.

Literally while I was in the middle of an episode.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Paladin posted:

Which episode was it?

I don't remember. Somewhere in the third season.

Funny enough, that was the first show I watched on Hulu, back when they only had the free service. It had been years later and I couldn't think of anything else to watch, so I decided to rewatch Rockford Files. Great show. They'll probably reboot it sometime soon. I could see John Hamm doing a good job of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I witnessed my friend yesterday try to get out of a meet up with old co-workers who wanted to get dinner at Applebee's by pretending he'd never heard of the place.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Why not just say something came up with family? Works like a charm and most people don't dig for further details.

The flaw in that plan is that they might have tried to reset the Applebee's date to accommodate.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

The flaw in his actual plan is that there's no logical connection between not knowing a place and refusing to eat there

Did it work, at least?

It was a very flawed plan. It didn't work as he told me they went there last night.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Don't look at me while you po-Aw look you spilled it all over the counter.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Certainly not your dignity.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, Smart Water always wins points for taste. The tall bottles are also good for road trips because you can fit a lot of water in a cupholder.

The screw on lids suck if you're the one driving though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

You can't get them with just your fingers?

I can, but then you gotta hold the cap and the bottle at the same time. I've found that flip caps are much better for road trips.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've never had Popeye's before. The hype on that chicken sandwich died down so I stopped by one on a whim last week while driving somewhere to try one. Their menu said it wasn't available. So I left. It's apparently coming back as a permanent menu item this Sunday.

That's my Popeye's story. They're not too common in Arizona. We have a lot of Raising Caine's and they're pretty good.

There's a Monroe's Hot Chicken a walk away from where I work but tomorrow is my last day so I probably won't be going there for a long time. That place is pricey but amazing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phanatic posted:

A goddamned White Castle opened up in Scottsdale and the lines are hours long.

I find that stupidly outrageous and definitely won't be going there anytime soon. I feel blessed that I have three In N Outs within fifteen minutes of me.

In N Out fries aren't worth waiting hours for, but I never feel sick after eating them like McDonald's or something.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Apple's marketing SVP Phil Schiller might be somewhat... biased.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Subaru makes me think of Ted Danson in the underrated show Bored To Death, where upon being told to follow a Subaru, he incredulously asks "what is a Subaru?"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yaris was a real game and it was horrible.

Doritos Crash Course was surprisingly great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why did you even give them an email?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

M&Ms are poo poo as an ice cream topping/mix in. The cold makes them rock hard.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

"We participated in a genocide, Barney" is pretty good, but this will always be what I remember the Flinstones comic for:

I think this might be the screenshot I made myself. This panel makes me laugh every time. That comic was so good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Those videos are great. These very forums show up in the videos from time to time. Time Cube and I think Final Fantasy House.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

I would genuinely like to be a fly on the wall in the life of someone for whom this is true.

The things boomers like thread is that a way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd buy that on a shirt or mug.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been meaning to set up a pi-hole for years.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone explain the battery one to non-Philly people. (Or is it just the obvious stupidity of batteries raining with confetti?)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

What post are you referring to?

Oh dang. I saw this in the Things Boomers Like thread, swiped away, and thought it got posted here.

shame on an IGA posted:

For real this was so perfect it should've killed both super bowl marketing and brand twitter forever.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Duracell/status/960352900546547712

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Peanut Butler posted:

idk where else to post this, it's actually a brilliant marketing move, but lol that it probably works

they posted this with, "we're not kitten around!" and honestly this is probably the best way to break this extremely irritating news

70 closed at the major 435 ring road all weekend is, uh, crippling

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission has a Twitter account that is entirely memes funded by the Federal government and I don't know how this slipped past the Trump administration, but bless them.

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1230847468511907840?s=19

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1230277447859474433?s=09

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1229586876044128256?s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When the best of the year game articles come out around December/January, I checked out one for best mobile games of 2019 and Raid wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Also, don't play mobile games, they're all trash. Especially the one you like.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alcohol laws should probably be relaxed during this time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Speaking of alcohol, Miller Lite's "original social network" ads are still running and they're pretty distasteful right now. I saw this commercial while watching Smackdown. Oof.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got targeted Wish ads for toilet paper. I've never searched for toilet paper online or anything like that. Maybe memes?

I've also been getting targeted ads from PureFlix, the Christian movie company on my Gmail account. I have no idea why either.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm kinda shocked to hear about growler refills because I keep seeing signs at Starbucks and Circle K saying they're not letting people bring their own cups for the time being.

I've never owned a growler before. Do staff at liquor stores sterilize them before filling them?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In the US, Goldfinger was actually On Her Majesty's Secret Service and From Russia With Love is actually Thunderball.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The most fun part of Monopoly for me is when I've reached the point of knowing I'm gonna lose and decide which other player I'm going to take down with me out of pure spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It seems like the more advertising a company does about how much their employees love the company, the higher the odds that they are treating their employees like absolute poo poo.