Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
My question is this: Why is chkdsk.exe seemingly so arbitrary, on an OS volume, as to whether is actually kicks off after reboot?

On dozens of different systems across multiple versions of Windows, when I need a machine to reboot and do a pre-boot file system check, it sometimes/often takes a couple of tries to get it to take. Quite often, said machine boots right into the login prompt / desktop, and never even pauses to show the black-and-white "press any key to cancel" screen. Granted, sometimes it works the first time, but it does the opposite enough that I've decided to ask about it.

It doesn't seem to matter whether it's from a admin-elevated command prompt or the My Computer -> right-click drive -> Properties -> Tools method. Sometimes times it will happen and often it won't until the second, or fourth, attempt.

Am I:
a) specially cursed?
b) blind/missing something?
c) as frustrated as you by this?

(Note I am not talking about the black-and-white "Checking file system" screen appearing and immediately cancelling itself. I'm talking about BIOS splash -> Windows boot animation -> login/desktop, no interruption.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
No one else has this problem?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have never had your problem, checked around with the first liners and they haven't either. Sorry man.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I also have never seen or heard of this. I always invoke CHKDSK with the following command from an administrative command prompt:

CHKDSK C: /F /V

Then answer yes that I want to check the volume at next boot, and it always does.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lol

garbagewater
Oct 18, 2010

Alereon posted:

I also have never seen or heard of this. I always invoke CHKDSK with the following command from an administrative command prompt:

CHKDSK C: /F /V

Then answer yes that I want to check the volume at next boot, and it always does.

At my work I have to run that command a couple times a week at least, and if I ask the drive to perform the check on itself during reboot it's really not all that reliable. What I've taken to doing is just loading HBCB on to a thumb drive, booting in to mini-XP and running chkdsk on there. That works every time.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Interesting replies. I am glad to know:

1) that I am not the only one on Earth to seem to notice this

and

2) that the problem is not as common as otherwise

I'm counting usages until I see it happen again.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I wonder if it could be related to antivirus or other similar software trying to load early in the boot process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v0idzer0
Nov 25, 2006
If CHKDSK C: /F fails to work for me I usually flag the volume as dirty:

fsutil dirty set C:

That works almost every time. If it fails to check, look at the BootExecute registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager). I have seen a few machines that chkdsk would not run at boot time because AVAST felt the startup scanner was more important then chkdsk.

• Locked thread