Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How long until Showtime fights again?
This poll is closed.
90 days 5 5.68%
6 months 18 20.45%
1 year 25 28.41%
stripped of title 40 45.45%
Total: 88 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

holy crap, did she get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
She was out at the end of the round

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That was a nice ending.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
the fight will resume once Ashlee Evans Smith regains consciousness, I guess

e: oh poo poo it was a stoppage!

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
geez, quick cut to commercial, FS1

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

jesus that was in deep

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Wow she did actually finish it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That was loving cool

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Well it's true.

In the context we were discussing it is objectively not.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

That's loving awesome.

e: *technical* submission, Bruce :spergin:

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

dat faceplant tho

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
That slow-mo showing Rocky push Smith's head to the ground, and all the dropping out of Rocky's face was badass

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

that commercial break managed to make that submission even cooler, despite it already being a bulldog choke and at the last second of the round.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

In the context we were discussing it is objectively not.

The context is the same. The fighter on top who is defending submissions is grappling more effectively than the person on bottom who is failing submissions.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Holy gently caress there is a vagina on her head.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I always confuse Raquel Pennington with Jessica Eye.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Drip. Drip. Drip. Dead. God drat.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

freud mayweather posted:

a bulldog choke

we need more of these in MMA

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006
That was so awesome.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

holy gently caress

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The context is the same. The fighter on top who is defending submissions is grappling more effectively than the person on bottom who is failing submissions.

Well if you don't defend you lose, so defending a submission is self-rewarding. Blocking punches doesn't count as "effective striking". Throwing up subs from the bottom = aggression. If the fighter on the bottom is throwing up subs and the fighter on top is merely defending without offering any kind of offense, the fight should be going to the guy on the bottom.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
so that was my first time seeing Pennington fight, does she normally do Extremely Metal Things?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Raquel can you do that headlock to Sean Hannity? TIA

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Seriously there was a gaping hole in her forehead.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Well if you don't defend you lose, so defending a submission is self-rewarding. Blocking punches doesn't count as "effective striking". Throwing up subs from the bottom = aggression. If the fighter on the bottom is throwing up subs and the fighter on top is merely defending without offering any kind of offense, the fight should be going to the guy on the bottom.

That has been true like 3 times in history.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

CommonShore posted:

All of this is irrelevant, there are official rules and they are written down.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Solomonic posted:

so that was my first time seeing Pennington fight, does she normally do Extremely Metal Things?

I was watching the fights with somebody and I just finished explaining that Rocky isn't particularly good at anything but she has guts, and guts is (usually) enough. It came to the end of the round and I said, "Oh yeah Evans-Smith managed to survive. No, nevermind she's asleep. She's unconscious. That's it."

fun fight

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Does all of that count if you aren't on the Bud Lite Octagon Control Decal?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
TEAM TAKEDOWN. KENNY MONDAY. ROSHOLT. UNSTOPPABLE.

Masochism
Aug 28, 2004

Stoned, Ripped, Twisted...Good People.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

All of this is irrelevant, there are official rules and they are written down.

Guess what those rules say in the most recent revision:

quote:

1.Effective Defense Removed as a criteria:
Effective Defense will no longer be considered a requirement for the following reasons:
The committee believes that offensive actions should be the only criteria used to score MMA matches. Offensive fighters are fighters which carry the fight and push the action, and make the fight happen.
Defense is its own reward. A fighter who chooses to avoid using defensive actions will invariably suffer the consequences. For example if a fighter decides that they do not want to block or avoid a strike, protect themselves from a submission, or avoid a throw or takedown then they will suffer the results of those offensive actions being used against them. The only role defensive action plays is to keep a fighter in the fight longer so that they can attempt to score using offensive actions.
Having two fighters avoid offensive actions and rely solely on defense goes against the basic primary consideration of any combative sport: To score using offense.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Black light heavyweight that's a little pudgy and has out of control body hair is called "Lazy Bones" and I like it.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Not the Jones vs Anderson fight that we want, but the one we deserve.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Jones looks kind of like Young Kimbo Slice

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Guess what those rules say in the most recent revision:

I didn't say you were wrong, just that it was irrelevant to whether is submission defense is scored as effective grappling.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Fake Anderson looks more like Jon Jones than fake Jones

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I hope someone gets knocked out because this is gonna get real gassy if not.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Knee to da face

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Getting to hear Buffer shout "BEASTIN' 25/8!" justifies the existence of TUF 19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
15 seconds of mouthpiece chat

• Locked thread