Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How long until Showtime fights again?
This poll is closed.
90 days 5 5.68%
6 months 18 20.45%
1 year 25 28.41%
stripped of title 40 45.45%
Total: 88 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My brother is pretty much the definition of "casual fan"; he likes fights but he pretty much only watches them when I call him up and say "Yo, I'm getting a ppv tonight, c'mon over". Last week he said out of the blue "Yo, are you getting the ppv next week?" "Yeah, of course." "I heard there's two heavyweight fights on it. Might have to come over for that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

are there a lot of people who pre-buy ppvs, or is meltzer just looking into a crystal ball and not seeing joe soto and making wild claims

iirc when he talks about potential buys he's mostly looking at google search trends, which have a somewhat mixed record in terms of predictive value

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pwny_Xpress posted:

How Baby Pettis and Clay Collard both wound up on Fight Pass despite both being exciting as hell and one being serious prospect is beyond me

Which one's the serious prospect, the one that got KOed by Max Holloway or the one that got embarassed by Bruce Leroy

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Since when can he not make 125? I hadnt heard he struggled with the cut.

You probably haven't heard about him struggling with the cut because so far he's been fighting at bantam

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about?

CommonShore posted:

Gil and Pettis have fought with the exact same frequency since the UFC merged with the WEC.

e. And Pettis has only been on the shelf like 7 weeks longer than Gil.

e again. Wow. Both have no fights in 2014, 2 in 2013, 1 in 2012, and 2 in 2011. That's uncanny.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

That fight was good right because everyone in IRC is acting like it was horrifically lovely and embarassing and I'm confused.

I don't think anybody called it a bad fight, people were just laughing at how sloppy it got because they were featherweights that gassed like heavyweights

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

rare case where the guy on his back is winning the fight.

lol no

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

could be coach-speak,

Yes, it is

quote:

but its not obviously a Hobar round

Yes, it is

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

Pettis landed a couple nice submission attempts from his back, and hurt him with upkicks.

Right.

quote:

Hobar didn't do much of anything

Wrong.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Submission attempts that come close are actually supposed to be scored; it's just that they don't get scored more favorably than the repeated punches and elbows Hobar landed from the top of the guard, and they definitely don't get scored more favorably than multiple knockdowns

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

Threatening with submission attempts is considered a part of fight area (octogon) control in the unified rules.

No it isn't, it's considered part of effective grappling.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Getting to hear Buffer shout "BEASTIN' 25/8!" justifies the existence of TUF 19

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rogan's proposed Matt Serra/Ray Longo reality show is the best idea he's had tonight, and possibly in his entire life

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Hendricks won 2 and 3 pretty clearly, Lawler won 4 and 5 pretty clearly. 1 was the only round difficult to score, and I had it for Lawler.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's funny that even in a thread full of people who hate Hendricks no one is claiming that Lawler actually won the fight.

I don't hate Hendricks, I scored Hendricks/GSP for Hendricks. Lawler won.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Surfing Turtle posted:

The stall tactic was dumb on Hendricks part. I thought he was just going to leg kick Lawler till his right leg was linguini. Lawler had no answer for the kicks.

It was very impressive how much he'd incorporated leg kicks into his game. Unfortunately for him they pretty much vanished after round 3.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

I saw round 1 and 4 as tossups and 5 as clearly lawler. I think the early aggression outweighed the takedown in round 1, and that the judges didn't count wall stalling as "effective grappling" in round 4, as it caused no effect, and Hendricks was using it as more of a defensive tactic rather than an aggressive tactic, and that the unified rules clearly state that defense doesn't count as a criteria for awarding the round.

Like everyone else I cannot figure out where the gently caress 49-46 came from, and my mma fan super power is mental gymnastics to reverse-engineer a judge's thought process. I'm legitimately worried that we'll hear that they read out the scores incorrectly and that it was split for Hendricks

Wall-stalling isn't effective grappling by any definition.

49-46 is a terrible score, no argument there.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ty1990 posted:

I'm getting nothing at the moment. Any cliff notes of Hendricks' bitching would be appreciated until then.

He's being pretty classy, actually.

"I thought I did pretty good in the first three rounds, kinda fell of in round 4, but you can't take nothing away from Robbie."

"Nothing I can do but do what he did, put some wins together and come back at that belt"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"I just didn't fight. I just came out in the 4th and 5th round and I just didn't fight. I'm my own worst critic; I don't need you guys to tell me I looked like poo poo. I didn't stay light on my feet, I wasn't there in the moment... I'm gonna work on things, and I'll be back."

"I'm not gonna make any excuses, I'm not gonna take anything away from Robbie Lawler. He did his job. I just thought I won... I tried to knock him out, but that guy's got a jaw. I've got a jaw, and when that happens you kinda have to leave it to the judges..."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"Nathan from Wheaties"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

The opening assault Lawler did was one of the most beautiful things ive ever seen

Belle Isle Tech posted:

His closing assault and stare down afterwards was seriously the most badass thing I've seen this year

There are few things in mma more terrifying than Robbie Lawler in full murder mode

• Locked thread