Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah, the pre-show is at 6:20. Kind of a weird time, but okay.

Tomorrow Never Dies is the finale of the 2014 Chikara season, which started in May. It's the first Chikara show at the ECW Arena since its renovation. It's available via Smart Mark Video.

I did a detailed write-up of the show here. After the clusterfuck that was Chikara in 2013, this year's storyline stuff is pretty straightforward. It's mostly been about a stable war between the Chikara locker room and the Flood, a massive network of various anti-Chikara factions from throughout the years. It's led by Jimmy Jacobs playing Shang Tsung to Deucalion's Shao Kahn. Deucalion is this guy, shown without his badass gas mask.

"COWAAAARD?!"

Dude's been showing up since May to kayfabe murder wrestlers with his choke-breaker move. So far he's taken out Kobald, deviANT, Estonian Thunderfrog, Latvian Proud Oak, Equinox III, Create-a-Wrestler II, Archibald Peck and the Shard. A couple of those guys were even on his team. He only just recently had his first match where he just wrecked people during a 10-man tag while standing on the outside, but he's main eventing this show in a steel cage match against the champ (non-title). That's weird, but dude owns, so whatever.

Here are the matches. It's a rather stacked show for such an in-house line-up:

Cage Match: Icarus vs. Deucalion

Icarus: Decent enough worker who went from most hated guy on the roster to bland hero champ.

Deucalion: Is literally Bane.

Cibernetico: Team Chikara vs. Team Flood

16-man Survivor Series tag match where each side has a batting order of who to tag next. There can only be one winner, so if the surviving team has more than 1 guy on it, more fighting happens. Usually these are the centerpieces of whatever show they're on, but here it's like the pre-show Wrestlemania battle royal.

Worker Ant (captain): Fat dude who went from evil ant guy to good ant guy.
Fire Ant: Excited ant guy who barely talks.
Silver Ant: Used to be Green Ant but that name no longer makes sense anymore since he's been around since 2009. Is great.
Jervis Cottonbelly: World's Sweetest Man. Powered by Gentlemania. Will probably lose first.
Amasis: Breakdancing pharaoh.
Ophidian: Breakdancing snake man. Does the most illegal move in wrestling.
Kodama: Creepy facepaint guy. Looks cool although he's really tiny.
Obariyon: Same.

Jakob Hammermeier (captain): Imagine if after having Del Rio turn on him, Ricardo Rodriguez discarded his face heat and turned into a heel mastermind and it was awesome. Then make him German.
Nokken: Big masked viking guy. Isn't Tursas.
Flex Rumblecrunch: Third wheel of the Devastation Corporation who have more important stuff going on.
Oleg the Usurper: Big unmasked viking guy.
Jaka: Wild savage.
Oliver Grimsley: Evil ringmaster. Not as cool as his partner Quefka the Quiet, who is a wrestling mime.
Volgar: Jimmy Jacobs' bodyguard. Is fat and sucks.
Soldier Ant: Military ant guy who is now opposing his former friends due to brainwashing and/or feelings of betrayal.

Loser Leaves Chikara: UltraMantis Black vs. Delirious

UltraMantis: Charismatic, cartoony supervillain who is a face.

Delirious: Crazy dude who is out to get revenge for being mind-controlled for two years. Yes, really.

Tag Team Championship: Throwbacks vs. Devastation Corporation

Best 2-out-of-3.

Throwbacks: Nerd-hating football guy and his baseball-headed relative.

Devastation Corporation: Demolition/Powers of Pain/Road Warriors team with Tony Clifton for a manager. Max Smashmaster (the fat one) is actually fantastic.

Eddie Kingston vs. Jimmy Jacobs

Eddie Kingston: Constantly bouncing back and forth between being Chikara's resident bully heel and Chikara's anti-hero. Currently the latter.

Jimmy Jacobs: Second in command of the Flood. Will make this one of the better Kingston matches in the last several years.

Winner Can Only Win Via German Suplex: "Smooth Sailing" Ashley Remington vs. Juan Francisco de Coronado

Ashley Remington: The Bizarro version of Joey Ryan. Absolutely delightful.

Juan Francisco de Coronado: Bargain bin Del Rio from Ecuador.

Young Lions Cup Finals: Heidi Lovelace vs. Missile Assault Ant

Heidi Lovelace: Doesn't have much of a personality here except being a face, female underdog.

Missile Assault Ant: Missile! Assault! Ant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Great thread! I'll be there with some friends and :siren:my wife:siren:; can't wait to see it. It'll also be my first time in the ecw arena.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

So I went and saw Bryce Remsburg, Chuck Taylor and Orange Cassidy talk over Wrestlicious and the UK's version of Nick Arcade at the Philly Improv Theater last night. Holy poo poo, was Wrestlicious terrible.

Also, Bryce Remsburg's a real nice guy and I'm still pumped to be at this tonight.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Goggles posted:

So I went and saw Bryce Remsburg, Chuck Taylor and Orange Cassidy talk over Wrestlicious and the UK's version of Nick Arcade at the Philly Improv Theater last night. Holy poo poo, was Wrestlicious terrible.

Also, Bryce Remsburg's a real nice guy and I'm still pumped to be at this tonight.

UK Nick Arcade? Say what?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Can anyone point me to quality reviews of the post-King of Trios shows, please?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

SamuraiFoochs posted:

UK Nick Arcade? Say what?

It was called Gamesmaster. It had a giant British Zordon head teaching you about cheat codes and Hacksaw Jim Duggan played Super Nintendo against a little kid and lost.

EDIT: Found it!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I never knew I needed to see a Chuck Taylor RiffTrax until now.

rovert posted:

Can anyone point me to quality reviews of the post-King of Trios shows, please?

I don't have anything in-depth, but the October shows are incredibly solid. Thunderball is pretty must-see and is easily their best non-Trios show in years. The two November shows are pretty average. I've yet to sit through the Throwbacks/3.0 match, but the rest of it isn't too special. The most interesting thing to come out of it was Deucalion's debut match, which was booked incredibly well and did a good job making him look like a monster despite his team losing.

Outside of the stuff going on in the matches, here are the dangling plot threads in Chikara:

- Flood member 17 was kidnapped and replaced with a mole for Chikara. He remained on the team for the entire season until recently showing his true colors by rescuing Frightmare from Deucalion. He then ran off and all they found was his discarded gear and mask.

- Jigsaw left the Flood, but doesn't want to rejoin the Chikara side. He hasn't been seen since.

- After Estonian Thunderfrog died, we saw footage of someone lifting his hammer.

- Kid Cyclone hasn't been seen since Trios, but has been posting insane rants on Twitter and then immediately deleting them.

- Chuck Taylor's slowly turning face due to his matches with Ashley Remington and Jervis Cottonbelly. He doesn't like what he's becoming.

- Oleg the Usurper is building towards a face turn due to being constantly yelled at by Sidney Bakabella for losing his matches.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here's the pre-show.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I am sitting next to the biggest MISSILE! ASSAULT! ANT! fan in the world. He is six and is totally awesome.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The YLC was unfortunately a bit rushed and wished Heidi would have said something.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Not a good gate.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
For some reason I thought this was tomorrow. Just tuned in; what did I miss in the preshow?

Doctor Goggles posted:

I am sitting next to the biggest MISSILE! ASSAULT! ANT! fan in the world. He is six and is totally awesome.

This kid has good taste in MISSILE! ASSAULT! ANT!s.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Not a good gate.

Ouch.

Parasara posted:

For some reason I thought this was tomorrow. Just tuned in; what did I miss in the preshow?

Heidi Lovelace won the Young Lions Cup finals.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
That was the best German-to-the-floor tease.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Wow. The excitement over that first show this year didn't seem to last. I know KoT drew well but that always does. I myself aren't nearly as much into CHIKARA as I used to be but I figured first show back in the Arena would at least draw somewhat especially since Philly is more conviently located than Easton to more people.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Thauros posted:

Wow. The excitement over that first show this year didn't seem to last. I know KoT drew well but that always does. I myself aren't nearly as much into CHIKARA as I used to be but I figured first show back in the Arena would at least draw somewhat especially since Philly is more conviently located than Easton to more people.

Doesn't help that the tickets were pretty expensive compared to usual Chikara shows.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Gavok posted:

Doesn't help that the tickets were pretty expensive compared to usual Chikara shows.

And why would you book this weekend of all weekends as your big finale? Between UFC, ROH and big football games, this was the worst weekend possible outside running directly against WWE.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

And why would you book this weekend of all weekends as your big finale? Between UFC, ROH and big football games, this was the worst weekend possible outside running directly against WWE.

Yeah. That being said the crowd looks pretty big in the crowd shots; that might just be them not shooting the empty parts though. How many Chikara shows are streamed online? That might also eat into their gate.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Parasara posted:

How many Chikara shows are streamed online? That might also eat into their gate.

They tend to do two a year.

Also, Juan Francisco is history's greatest monster for not accepting that fruit basket.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Hahaha Kingston is having fukkin NONE of the crowd

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

EVIL Kid Cyclone

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I bought this because Ciberneticos are fun and my poker game fell through, sorry I missed Kingston/JAcobs apparently.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

I bought this because Ciberneticos are fun and my poker game fell through, sorry I missed Kingston/JAcobs apparently.

No you didn't. It was exactly as you expected it to be. Hell of a Promo from Kevin Condron/Former Kid Cyclone though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Thauros posted:

It was pretty great, partially because Jimmy Jacobs sells for the backfist by flopping around like a dying fish.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Sidney Bakabella is a great man and I'll hear nothing otherwise.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

"Lariat Tubman." That's quite a move name.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
Dammit! I thought this was tomorrow. I mean, I was gonna IPPV it anyhow b/c I don't have the for live tickets/fod/gas, etc...

Hey! If you are a goon reading this, let me know if there are any BDK shirts for sale. I'd be interested in paying you for an XL one.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Sidney Bakabella is a great man and I'll hear nothing otherwise.

"GET THAT NERD"

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Aw man that jumping off of Touchdown spot would've been awesome if they could of pulled that off

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

What did this Ref do that made commentary go crazy? They're doing kind of a poor job of navigating the match.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Parasara posted:

What did this Ref do that made commentary go crazy? They're doing kind of a poor job of navigating the match.

Derek Sabato was an evil ref involved in the BDK angle who hadn't been seen in a couple years.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Parasara posted:

Derek Sabato was the BDK's heel ref years ago, became the liaison for the Gekido, then got fired for getting too close to the truth with the whole Titor storyline.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Love the Fire Ant/Soldier Ant tag spot.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

drat, Soldier Ant is the Terminator now

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, he has fighting game super armor now.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

This cage does not look very sturdy.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Aaaaand this is why you don't do cage matches.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, same thing happened when they did the Claudio/Brody Lee match years ago. It was the main event, so we had a really lengthy intermission before it. It's ridiculous to have that going on for an iPPV.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

It would be one thing if this was covered by a longer piece of story content but these periods of dead air + tiny snippets of story/ads are the worst.

They really should of kept him in the combat gear. I dont think half the audience knows who he is.

Parasara fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Parasara posted:

It would be one thing if this was covered by a longer piece of story content but these periods of dead air + tiny snippets of story/ads are the worst.

They really should of kept him in the combat gear. I dont think half the audience knows who he is.

Yeah, and he looks much more like just a guy (albeit a big guy by Chikara standards)

• Locked thread