Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

To be fair to Ellie (and to quote Isaac), the Crozier was a huge piece of poo poo.

dead space 3 ellie is a huge piece of poo poo #TeamIsaac

edit: But also the Crozier too. Man the Crozier is such a piece of poo poo. Ellie's really not all that bad if you read the prequel book in which she demonstrates her independence by killing a million Unitologists after leaving poor Isaac to go run around the galaxy with Norton and co. Unfortunately, much like all Dead Space media, the games completely ignore the existence of the books, so Ellie remains poorly handled garbage. Truly a shame.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Trust me, whatever admiration you may or may not have had for Ellie at the start of this game is about to be blown away and on the icy winds of Tau Volantis.

...Along with certain other objects.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

dead space 3 ellie is a huge piece of poo poo #TeamIsaac

edit: But also the Crozier too. Man the Crozier is such a piece of poo poo. Ellie's really not all that bad if you read the prequel book in which she demonstrates her independence by killing a million Unitologists after leaving poor Isaac to go run around the galaxy with Norton and co. Unfortunately, much like all Dead Space media, the games completely ignore the existence of the books, so Ellie remains poorly handled garbage. Truly a shame.

The Crozier is a piece of poo poo, but actually pretty normal compared to everything else you find in Dead Space 3. Basically everything you find is half-operational at best and forces Isaac (and Carver) to run rings around the space graveyard or Tau Volantis to push buttons or find important parts or turn something with Kinesis.

Sandymane
Jul 21, 2014

Well, everything is centuries old by the time Isaac gets there. It's shocking anything still works.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Sandymane posted:

Well, everything is centuries old by the time Isaac gets there. It's shocking anything still works.

I still say this is such a gigantic missed opportunity by the designers. Have Isaac start off with a badass plasma cutter that can just rip poo poo apart, and uses plasma energy. Then, when you dump him into space via minefield, oh poo poo none of this ancient bullshit has plasma energy, it's all generic power cells that can't work with the plasma cutter.

Put a bench in the first room, have Isaac cobble together that lovely machine pistol, and never drop another piece of plasma energy for the rest of the game.

Smart players would bust the plasma gun into pieces, and use the bits that are close enough to build something functional as a backup.
Sperg players (Like me!) would keep the Plasma Cutter in reserve for the entire game, and then pull it out with 15 shots to cheese the final boss. :v:

Plus, you could sell a DLC pack that lets you craft (insanely expensive) plasma energy packs and laugh at necromorphs for the whole game. It's such a simple concept, it would fit perfectly with the tone the game is trying to set, and it would actually make sense in the lore instead of the stupid handwavy crap the designers did.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Captain Bravo posted:

I still say this is such a gigantic missed opportunity by the designers. Have Isaac start off with a badass plasma cutter that can just rip poo poo apart, and uses plasma energy. Then, when you dump him into space via minefield, oh poo poo none of this ancient bullshit has plasma energy, it's all generic power cells that can't work with the plasma cutter.

Put a bench in the first room, have Isaac cobble together that lovely machine pistol, and never drop another piece of plasma energy for the rest of the game.

Smart players would bust the plasma gun into pieces, and use the bits that are close enough to build something functional as a backup.
Sperg players (Like me!) would keep the Plasma Cutter in reserve for the entire game, and then pull it out with 15 shots to cheese the final boss. :v:

Plus, you could sell a DLC pack that lets you craft (insanely expensive) plasma energy packs and laugh at necromorphs for the whole game. It's such a simple concept, it would fit perfectly with the tone the game is trying to set, and it would actually make sense in the lore instead of the stupid handwavy crap the designers did.

The whole premise of the series is that Issac isn't a solider, he's an engineer. He's not trained or equipped for traditional fights. He isn't even wielding anything intended to be a weapon, just slightly modified (ridiculously dangerous) mining/repair tools that happen to be effective when pitted against an enemy that only stops attacking if mangled beyond repair. Forcing him to stop relying on the old reliable stuff and cobble together gear from salvaged junk would bring the series back to its roots in my opinion. It'd be easier to justify the universal ammo that way too.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Good thing Isaac grew up in Space-America where guns are modular. :freep:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geostomp posted:

The whole premise of the series is that Issac isn't a solider, he's an engineer. He's not trained or equipped for traditional fights. He isn't even wielding anything intended to be a weapon, just slightly modified (ridiculously dangerous) mining/repair tools that happen to be effective when pitted against an enemy that only stops attacking if mangled beyond repair. Forcing him to stop relying on the old reliable stuff and cobble together gear from salvaged junk would bring the series back to its roots in my opinion. It'd be easier to justify the universal ammo that way too.

Unfortunately it's a bit disingenuous because half of the stuff Isaac can make in Dead Space 3 is comprised of real actual guns (assault rifles, flamethrowers, grenade launchers, machine pistols, etc). Very few of the tools from Dead Space 1 and 2 return. You can craft them in this game via blueprints, but they're comprised of this game's parts and sometimes don't look anything like their predecessors.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
DS3 is full of guns and Isaac duct tapes them together to make super guns.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Wasn't the reason that SCAF had come by and broken everything and the Crozier only close to working because it had already been taken apart before the order came down.

I like the idea of all the tech being the same despite hundreds of years having gone by. It reinforces the background concept that humanity has reached a technological dead end and is dependent on planet cracking to survive.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blind Sally posted:

DS3 is full of guns and Isaac duct tapes them together to make super guns.

It's the logical progression unfortunately. Using tools with some actual military weapons -> Cobbling together tools and more military weapons -> duct taping many guns together to make even deadlier guns.
The mutliple-gun thing is a work around for the players only having access to 2 weapon slots it seems. Two weapon slots with dual-gunned weapons is like having four guns that you only have to switch out half the time!

Also it's hard for the series to go back to it's roots, the horror's not there anymore. Most horror games/series seem to follow the Aliens trilogy in terms of how it's handled:
DS1: 'Oh man these things are horrifying good lord look at how Isaac dies this is full of bad times and things keep going wrong ahhhhhhh!'
DS2: 'Ok I've seen these before, this is alright, this is cool I know how to deal with th- what are those? Why do they have three legs? Oh lord a behemoth this early!? Ah! My cat got scared and clawed my butt for like the thirteenth time!'
DS3: 'These things are old hat by now. Bring in all the guns so we can kill all of the things forever, have some cool explosions and move on.'

And then hope they don't continue until it's 12 or so years down the line when they can reboot it :shepface:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
While the big reveal isn't really immediately frightening the implications are pretty goddamn terrifying. DS3 doesn't frighten you so much as slowly destroy your sense of hope.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

i have added this to the OP as a preventative measure, thanks blind sally and nine-gear crow

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 1, 2015

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I thought Neruz was talking about the gameplay mechanics and when we meet Ellie on the Roanoke, not the ending :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well that's also true, really. It's nothing against you Neruz, honest, it just scares me a bit when people toe the line between spoilers (remember that tagged spoilers are alright) and not quiiiite untagged spoilers and there have been a few posts like that. I just don't want Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow to be spoiled on it because I'm protecting their childlike innocence! By this point they still think Dead Space 3 is a coherent video game!

Tonight we recorded an extra special video and I absolutely cannot wait to post it. Hopefully tomorrow.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh I don't want to spoil the ending, I'm just saying that to people who complain about Dead Space 3 not being scary might be missing the point and you really want to wait until the end before you cast judgement on DS3.

Waiting till the end might not improve your judgement of the game but I guarantee it will change it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I can't wait to find out how this game ends, by wathcing other people play it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

CJacobs posted:

it just scares me a bit when people toe the line between spoilers (remember that tagged spoilers are alright) and not quiiiite untagged spoilers and there have been a few posts like that.

I wonder what this looks like? Oh wait, here we go:

Neruz posted:

Waiting till the end might not improve your judgement of the game but I guarantee it will change it.

Thanks Neruz, for that excellent example. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey it's time for that special thing I promised you: More DLC videos!

Today we take a look at another of the many DLC packs for Dead Space 3, which adds an arena mode to the game. Chronologically, this takes place after Isaac and co. have fixed the Crozier, but before they arrive at Tau Volantis. On the far reaches of the Sovereign Colony space fleet there is a ship you can visit for the low low price of 10 real life bucks that puts Isaac up against some of his most deadly foes yet. Today we learn what truly happens when men become convinced they're gods. Blind Sally is joined by myself and Nine-Gear Crow.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

CJacobs posted:

That was good DLC, except I have to rate it 5/10, because there is no Arial "Baby" Tetsuo. (EDIT: Seriously, that seemed fun, but I didn't have a lot of faith in Sony since they dropped Studio Liverpool.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Today we take a look at another of the many DLC packs for Dead Space 3, which adds an arena mode to the game. Chronologically, this takes place after Isaac and co. have fixed the Crozier, but before they arrive at Tau Volantis. On the far reaches of the Sovereign Colony space fleet there is a ship you can visit for the low low price of 10 real life bucks that puts Isaac up against some of his most deadly foes yet. Today we learn what truly happens when men become convinced they're gods. Blind Sally is joined by myself and Nine-Gear Crow.

So, CJacobs, are we going to see any of the cutscenes from the "Prelude to the Moon" DLC in an upcoming music video?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JamieTheD posted:

That was good DLC, except I have to rate it 5/10, because there is no Arial "Baby" Tetsuo. (EDIT: Seriously, that seemed fun, but I didn't have a lot of faith in Sony since they dropped Studio Liverpool.)

Originally, there wasn't any Wipeout in PSAS. That Heavenly Sword/Wipeout cross-over is a DLC map.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today JamieTheD and I spend thirty minutes wandering through the Brusilov while technical difficulties try as hard as they can to keep me from getting 100% completion. Then some cool, crazy stuff happens with Carver! JamieTheD was making some cool stuff to go along with our technical difficulties at the end of this episode, which is why me posting it has taken so drat long, but it didn't work out. Don't blame him though because I'm sure you will be more than pleased at his framerate improvement this time around!

In fact, permit me if you will to talk about the game's completion percentage for a moment:

From the main menu, you can see the percentage completion of all of your save files. There are many many many unlockable circuit sets and four-ish unlockable suits tied to your completion; one for each type of collectible, and one suit for getting 100%. As you may notice, I don't have 100%.

This is because I haven't completed all of the optional missions, a category which includes singleplayer and co-op. If you don't play through all of the co-op missions, this box doesn't get ticked, chopping off about 3% completion. You may notice that that's still not 100%! Well...

That's because the game counts collectibles inside co-op missions for total completion percentage, which adds up the rest of it. That means that if you play only singleplayer, you can ONLY get the percentage I have in the first screenshot minus a little because we've done the Brusilov mission. That means you miss out on about 5 circuit/weapon part sets and four bonus completion RIG outfits to wear! What a bunch of bullshit!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 3, 2015

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Every time you cut to JamieTheD's footage it should just be a zoetrope of a horse running.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

Every time you cut to JamieTheD's footage it should just be a zoetrope of a horse running.

Honestly, I'm a little confused it still comes out looking like that. Why is that? Well, once I've uploaded the source for this vid, you'll see why. That should be about three hours' time, and I'll edit the post to reflect that.

EDIT 2: CJacobs uploaded his version of my source, and it looks like it's Vegas that's doing most of the horrifying things to it, via the wonders of Smart Resampling. The audio desync is my fault, as is the fact I forgot we were meant to be recording at 30 FPS (I *recorded* at 60, which led to Smart Resample playing silly buggers)

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 3, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No matter what it looks like now, it is most certainly better than it was before (no offense)! :v:

edit: For the record though, after some sleuthing it did in fact turn out that JamieTheD's framerate is worse in the final video than it was in his source recording and boy it is because of a real weird cocktail of poo poo. But don't worry we'll have it fixed by the time the next one happens!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 3, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I had watched Beagle and Dslyecxi play through this in co-op, and all of the corpses were doing that sort of freaking out for basically the entire game on Dslyecxi's end. Now, he had gone in knowing there would be some Marker madness shenanigans in co-op but had no idea what form that would materialize in, and when every single corpse is vibrating uncontrollably all over the place from the very beginning of the game...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fish Noise posted:

I had watched Beagle and Dslyecxi play through this in co-op, and all of the corpses were doing that sort of freaking out for basically the entire game on Dslyecxi's end.

Which led to a fairly great deadpan moment in the first video.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:stare:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That magic dancing corpse had amazing comedic timing.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Physics engines are the best thing about modern video games and I hope they are never fixed. In fact, I hope they get buggier.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I'm personally imagining that dancing corpse like the frog from the Merry Melodies skit. Freaking out when one person is watching and suddenly dead still for the other.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I'm personally imagining that dancing corpse like the frog from the Merry Melodies skit. Freaking out when one person is watching and suddenly dead still for the other.

Did someone say Michigan J Frog in a physics bug context? YESSSSSSS.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It was only noticed briefly, but yes, if your partner is down, you can use stasis on them. This is a feature! It slows down their death counter so that you have more time to go over and revive them.

Also, hooray, now I can stop being coy about it: Carver in co-op missions is crazy! It's pretty great, although it's definitely best if you go into it unaware of that. I know people that didn't click it until a few missions in, so it makes a good surprise. I really wish Isaac got some of it too - they use him as the foil consistently, I'm afraid - but I guess he's reached the metastable phase of his rampancy or something.

EDIT: v CJacobs, like many players, doesn't use stasis as much as he probably should, but it's not a big deal in DS3. It's super useful if you're being a scrounger, since you can use the extra time (with a free use every time it recharges) to use melee or kinesis attacks on your enemies instead of valuable rounds, but you aren't really trying to save any particular ammo type in DS3 so that's not as important; more mundanely (but still very useful), it's good for pausing a bulbasaur long enough to shoot its tendrils, or for stopping any other enemy long enough to back away from it, but then I've already covered HOW MANY HEALTH KITS you get in this game so a few stabs aren't too important.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 3, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

WFGuy posted:

It was only noticed briefly, but yes, if your partner is down, you can use stasis on them. This is a feature! It slows down their death counter so that you have more time to go over and revive them.

Man, stasis is so useful! I can't imagine a situation where you wouldn't use. (Cjacobs, did you upgrade your stasis module first?)

Sandymane
Jul 21, 2014

Damage only, damage always. At least in the first 2 games, fully upping the damage on the plasma cutter was like god mode. It just melted necromorphs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Stasis is still a good safety net especially against Black/Armored Necromorphs that even God-Mode plasma cutter took a few shots to leg off.

Plus I always found it difficult NOT to shoot a pregnant's belly without Stasis.

Fact of the matter is, Stasis + Anything is the true god mode, because all the damage in the world won't help you if you can't hit your freaking out target because they twitched left instead of right (dangit Isaac stop headshotting these things! That just makes them mad!)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah Stasis is amazing, at first I was like Cjacobs and saved my Stasis\flat out forgot it existed. But after awhile I realized just how many goddamn Stasis packs the game drops so I started using it on every Necromorph I fought.

I still had too many Stasis packs, I was literally using Stasis on almost every single Necromorph and it still wasn't enough to use up all the Stasis packs the game throws at you :psyduck:

Sandymane
Jul 21, 2014

It seems they really hosed up balance in DS3 compared to 1&2. I've heard that there are some weapon combinations that are just brokenly powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sandymane posted:

It seems they really hosed up balance in DS3 compared to 1&2. I've heard that there are some weapon combinations that are just brokenly powerful.

A part of it is that it's now possible to make weapons with enough raw damage to insta-kill regardless of where the round hits. As you saw with the "sniper rifle" CJacobs has, he can shoot center mass and all the limbs just fly off. I think some of the balance fuckup was from making plain firearms common weapons rather than one or two models among a whole collection of mining and engineering tools and they wanted to make bullet-firing weapons viable and competitive with cutting and explosive ones.

• Locked thread