Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I do not endorse this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

paragon1 posted:

if you wanted bad fanfic you could have just played dead space 3.

:thurman:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'm disappointed that there wasn't a reading of this line:

that insane poo poo posted:

"OO GOD WHAT NO STOP IT" the necromph pleded, cover his face with his arms "STOP SHOOTING A HIGH POWER STREAM OF POOP OUT OF YOUR BUTTS AT ME PLEASE ITS BAD FOR MY BLOOD SUGAR!"

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Should I watch that video thread?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Technically speaking, the video is just more Dead Space Payne 3. What you should be asking is, "should I watch that video with the sound on?" :p

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Correction: the comic mentioned is not Loose Fur, but Yummy Fur.

It's a fun bit of Canadian surrealism. It gets really strange. Chester Brown is primarily known for his excellent biographical comic of Louis Riel, but Yummy Fur was something else. The whole "Man Who Couldn't Stop" bit was from the Ed The Happy Clown arc, which is best described by its Wikipedia page:

quote:

Ed the Happy Clown is a fictional character by Canadian cartoonist Chester Brown. Ed is a large-headed, childlike children's clown who undergoes one horrifying affliction after another. The Ed the Happy Clown story in which he appears is a dark, humorous mix of genres and features scatological humour, sex, body horror, extreme graphic violence, and blasphemous religious imagery. Central to the plot are a man who cannot stop defecating; the head of a miniature, other-dimensional Ronald Reagan attached to the head of Ed's penis; and a female vampire who seeks revenge on her adulterous lover who had murdered her to escape his sins.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sounds like a load of poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, CJacobs mentions the epic climax to George RR Martin's final A Song of Ice and Fire novel, A Dance With Dragons, wherein Queen Daenerys Targaryen spends the final five pages of the book in the throes of a horrific bout of diarrhea. It is truly among GRRM's best pieces of writing in his bibliography, and proof that he is indisputably the American TolkienTM.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 21, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mister Chief posted:

Sounds like a load of poo poo.

One they hoped to make into a movie with Macaulay Culkin and Rip Torn:

quote:

Canadian filmmaker Bruce McDonald has had the rights since 1991[6] to adapt Ed to film, for which he has planned to use Yummy Fur as the title.[33] Such a film could use stop-motion animation,[69] but the project has yet to get off the ground.[70] At one point McDonald hoped to have Macaulay Culkin star as Ed, Rip Torn as Ronald Reagan and Drew Barrymore as Nancy Reagan. In 2000, it was reported that the movie would have a budget of $6,000,000,[71] but it was unable to get the financial backing. A script was written by Don McKellar,[6] and later with John Frizzell.[71]

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When future generations look back on this one, they will remember Dead Space 4: Too Much Poop and they will think fondly of it. But in the meantime I'll just be over here drinking alcohol to forget. I can only wish that paragraph in the update post was a joke. glug glug

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 21, 2015

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, CJacobs mentions the epic climax to George RR Martin's final A Song of Ice and Fire novel, A Dance With Dragons, wherein Queen Daenerys Targaryen spends the final five pages of the book in the throes of a horrific bout of diarrhea. It is truly among GRRM's best pieces of writing in his bibliography, and proof that he is indisputably the American TolkienTM.

I do not remember that part :stare:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
most people have blocked out that part

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, barring that one piece of plot-relevant DLC and whatever other horibifuckawful fanfiction CJacbobs decides to foist on us, we're DONE RECORDING DEAD SPACE 3!

:toot:

Truly, we have pooped a lot out of our butt.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I look forward to being able to finally talk about the ending properly :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Neruz posted:

I look forward to being able to finally talk about the ending properly :v:

Instead of what you've been doing, which is different because

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

LoonShia posted:

Instead of what you've been doing, which is different because

The :v: was there for a reason.

Also it turns out there is totally a dead space rap :catstare:

Though to be fair "I've seen a lot of Dead Space and I still haven't died!" is a pretty great line.

e: I only just noticed that you weren't doing this but you know if you shoot the spike arms off those common melee Necromorphs you can then telekinesis the spike arm and throw it at enemies to impale them which is usually an instant kill on normal Necromorphs. I found this to be super useful when I was playing.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 22, 2015

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Neruz posted:

e: I only just noticed that you weren't doing this but you know if you shoot the spike arms off those common melee Necromorphs you can then telekinesis the spike arm and throw it at enemies to impale them which is usually an instant kill on normal Necromorphs. I found this to be super useful when I was playing.

Pro Stratz are handy on higher difficulties, but really irrelevant on Normal, when you have so much ammo and you can no longer sell it for cash as in the previous games. I mean, unless you decide to carry around one good Plasma Cutter, and also a minigun that you just hose enemies down with indiscriminately with all your ammo.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh I don't mean from an ammo conservation standpoint; I just found being able to one-shot most Necromorphs quickly and easily was really useful in fights.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Neruz posted:

Oh I don't mean from an ammo conservation standpoint; I just found being able to one-shot most Necromorphs quickly and easily was really useful in fights.

If I recall correctly, it doesn't one-hit kill them, just does massive damage. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a point to the damage upgrades on the RIG.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
It's probably like "This does 1,000 points of damage, to the ~5 an assault rifle does. Most necromorphs can take 500, making body shots with an AR useless... but this just annihilates them. Tanky enemies have like 5,000 HP of bodyshots, so you'd need 1,000 shots on target with the AR, or 5 with the sniper rifle. Or you could stop playing the game wrong and shoot the weak points for massive damage, damnit!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is pretty much how it works, or at least, that's how it worked in Dead Space 2. Gibbed didn't make any tools for Dead Space 3 so the game's not as easy to yank to pieces and look at the inner workings of.

In Dead Space 2, here's how the system basically worked, complete with my rudimentary doodles to illustrate:

So this is Jim, the slasher. Jim has the standard amount of health for a slasher on Normal difficulty and he starts with all his limbs, so he is a perfect starting subject for this explanation. All of the numbers in this explanation are approximations just to make the system easier to understand; in the actual game, they're all made up of decimals and variables and numbers that constantly change to make the game fun and sometimes tough. For the sake of this example though, we'll say he starts off with a nice round thousand because he's a healthy cutie patootie.

Let's take a look at Jim's various extremities. In Dead Space, they make it super clear right from the get-go that you're not supposed to shoot necromorphs in the body because that will do basically nothing to them for some reason they still haven't explained 3 games into the series. This follows down deep into the combat system to the point where you'd be hard pressed to find a part of a necromorph that takes a flat 1x damage. Non-extremity shots on all necromorphs do half damage, and extremity shots take anywhere between 1.5x and 3x depending on the kind of necromorph and the body part being hit.

Shooting a limb deducts the amount of damage done (after the multiplication) from the necromorph's overall health. You can actually kill necromorphs without dismembering them at all either by pumping shot after shot into their body, or spreading your shots out evenly over each limb so as to not shoot them off. If a necromorph's health reaches 0 without it encountering an instant death state (shooting a tail and arm off of a leaper, or shooting both arms or the opposite arm and leg off a slasher, etc.) it will just collapse and die. This is easiest to see with Lurkers, who have very frail bodies and low health with no extremities to shoot except their back tendrils.

Additionally, each limb has its own individual health value that, when depleted, will cause the limb to get dismembered. The damage done to the limb health specifically is flat and not multiplied, and the body has no depletable health because it's the part of the necromorph that contains its overall health value. Think of it like a Final Fantasy boss: the big jellyfish head is the main boss health bar, and the wiggly tendrils have their own health bars that also affect the main one when they get slapped by your dumbass chainsaw sword made of belts and zippers or whatever.

Dead Space 3 actually has two different places each limb can be severed but as I said, there aren't any mod tools, so I don't know if the different pieces use different health bars or not.

edit: And by the way, that little extra foot slashers sometimes have is special. It was tacked onto basically every slasher model in Dead Space 2 and some of them still have it in 3. It's got a pathetically tiny amount of health and you can blow it off in one shot with any gun, but it's got its own rigging and dismemberment for some reason! Weird stuff!

As for TK damage specifically, that's calculated using a slightly different scale. Here Jim is informing you on the formula the game uses. Basically: A TK'd sharp object or necromorph limb will do a flat amount of damage to whatever you hit with it, wherever you hit them with it. Dull objects like boxes or trash cans or whatever do far less damage than sharp stuff, which can also impale enemies. Each suit upgrade that adds TK damage will add more onto that flat value. When you hit a necromorph with a TK'd object, that flat damage is then multiplied by the limb damage multiplier of wherever it hits them, meaning it's still beneficial to go for the limbs even if you're not firing your actual guns.

So there you go, that's how necromorph health worked in Dead Space 2 and I'm willing to bet it didn't change all that much for 3. Thank you Jim for demonstrating for us, we appreciate your help and I'm sure you will go down in history with Kesha as one of this thread's beloved mascots.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 24, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I thought they explained body shots being next to worthless as Necromorphs not really having anything like vital organs in there to damage. When you rip their limbs off, you're basically rendering them more or less helpless, causing the infection to basically "give up" on them and leave them to be recycled later. You aren't so much killing Necromorphs as you are rendering them dormant by tearing them apart. Limbs are just the most convenient targets when you need to remove something from the body.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Geostomp posted:

I thought they explained body shots being next to worthless as Necromorphs not really having anything like vital organs in there to damage. When you rip their limbs off, you're basically rendering them more or less helpless, causing the infection to basically "give up" on them and leave them to be recycled later. You aren't so much killing Necromorphs as you are rendering them dormant by tearing them apart. Limbs are just the most convenient targets when you need to remove something from the body.

Basically this; Necromorphs have no vital organs so in order to 'kill' them the most effective means is to render them physically incapable of functioning by chopping bits off them.

It's not perfect logic but it serves the purpose.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In other fiction that uses this idea, a common concept is that the monster's ability to think is distributed across the body rather than having a centralized brain. So chopping it to bits reduces its strength until it finally collapses.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
As far as I can tell, Necromoprh biology is basically magic. Along with Isaac's body temperature, the TK/stasis modules, the Marker signals, the Markers themselves.... Altman be praised.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geostomp posted:

That does make sense! I guess over the years of avoiding reading super in-depth text logs I have forgotten that part of it. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today we trek across the facility in a manner that surely will cause us no means of resistance. Remember Danik? The main villain of this game? Haha yeah I don't either. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

TEXT LOGS IN THIS CHAPTER:

There are a couple in this chapter but they spoil stuff that won't happen until the next video, so I'm saving them for then.

TRIVIA:

- Did you know that the word 'laser' is actually an acronym for the words "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation"? Yeah I know, weird poo poo!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is there a log or something somewhere that implies necromorphs just get recycled back? Just out of curiosity, not :spergin: lore adherence.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jesus crow your loving puns

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If the Co-Op partner had been Ellie, do you think she would've stayed DS2 Ellie?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

jesus crow your loving puns

You think crow's are bad, wait'll we get to the Pun-Pocalypse. CJacobs made me promise not to make any more puns after that video :(

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Listen to the intercepted coms VO at 13:53... "what the hell is THAAAAAT?!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I think Isaac is getting more jaded with every loving video. He barely even sounds annoyed at the prospect of a giant drill in his way. His reaction to the drill "trying to kill him" is the tone you'd use when you're barely in danger but exaggerating for humor. And of course when it all ends, he doesn't even sound out of breath.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I think Isaac is getting more jaded with every loving video. He barely even sounds annoyed at the prospect of a giant drill in his way. His reaction to the drill "trying to kill him" is the tone you'd use when you're barely in danger but exaggerating for humor. And of course when it all ends, he doesn't even sound out of breath.

The prospect of fighting to the death with old captain whatshisface doesn't really seem to get him going either.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Isaac has been through nearly three entire games of everything trying to kill him; he has completely acclimatized himself to life-threatening danger.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Having run out of fucks to give a long time ago, Isaac has replaced said fucks with a not-insignificant supply of ammo, stasis packs, and tungsten. Which is slightly worrying.

chitoryu12 posted:

In other fiction that uses this idea, a common concept is that the monster's ability to think is distributed across the body rather than having a centralized brain. So chopping it to bits reduces its strength until it finally collapses.
"IMMAGETCHA"
blam
"OH GOD I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW TO WALK"
blam
"WHAT'S WALKING"

:3:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Azran posted:

Is there a log or something somewhere that implies necromorphs just get recycled back? Just out of curiosity, not :spergin: lore adherence.

I don't remember where, but I think it was said that any bodies not in good enough condition to become individual necromorphs are broken down to be used as parts of bigger necros. That the creepy flesh growths that cover the walls.

Night10194 posted:

If the Co-Op partner had been Ellie, do you think she would've stayed DS2 Ellie?

Well, there might still be annoying relationship drama, but at least she'd be shooting up mutilated corpse monsters in between.

Neruz posted:

Isaac has been through nearly three entire games of everything trying to kill him; he has completely acclimatized himself to life-threatening danger.

Which is why they really should have swapped him out. He's too jaded to be scared, just annoyed about all this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If Ellie was the Dead Space 3 co-op partner, then that means she'd take Carver's place, which would also mean she has like 9 minutes of total screen time in single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

If Ellie was the Dead Space 3 co-op partner, then that means she'd take Carver's place, which would also mean she has like 9 minutes of total screen time in single player.

So exactly the same?

• Locked thread