Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I find it terrifying that there are still people who haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China.

Also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

holy poo poo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
PYF Big Trouble In Little China gifs

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

tlarn posted:

I find it terrifying that there are still people who haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China.

Also:

When I look at this photograph. It makes me laugh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tlarn posted:

Thanks to Blind Sally's gifstorm I do remember seeing CLIPS of the movie but only very little, someday I will have to watch the whole thing because I love John Carpenter.

oh my god it's beautiful

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V-JTlZkW6s

inspiration has struck

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
:pusheen:
This thread is amazing.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
If I had known all those gifs were from that movie I'd have watched it ages ago.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Big Trouble in Little China is a perfect movie and folks who haven't seen it yet should go watch it now. James Hong goes full ham in it, it's beautiful.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Marker madness is probably getting to Norton, sure, but exactly is it making him see? When he glances at Booblie's ellies, does he hallucinate Isaac's face leering back at him?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My biggest disappointment with DS3 is that they didn't use any of my favourite suits from DS2. I loved the Advanced Suit, and I preferred the suit health bar as it was in DS2 as well. I mean, it makes sense - everything in the planet is OLD. The EVA suit looks way, way more modern than any of the other suits. Ah well, at least I have the N7 Security Suit :v:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

tlarn posted:

Big Trouble in Little China is a perfect movie and folks who haven't seen it yet should go watch it now. James Hong goes full ham in it, it's beautiful.

This is true. BTiLC is just magnificent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just noticed how much Danik's flying zeppelin billboard reminds me of something from Borderlands.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The time of prophecy is at hand. The Dark Id has returned to LP Drakengard 3 as was promised. Now you too can see Cavia's horrific, screaming, marshmallow Literally Babies monster for yourselves.

RIP AND TEAR, ISAAC, RIP. AND. TEAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zain posted:

When I look at this photograph. It makes me laugh.

https://soundcloud.com/fishstik/nicklolback

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Thank you so much for this. I'll die a happy? person!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Not emptyquoting.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Proof that Dead Space and Big Trouble In Little China exist in the same universe:

The lore is undeniable!!!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

1stGear posted:

Not emptyquoting.

Emptyquoting is okay in this thread. It is a safe space. Safe Space 3, to be specific.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

Proof that Dead Space and Big Trouble In Little China exist in the same universe:

The lore is undeniable!!!

This explains everything! It really strayed from it's original vision though.

Serious note how many writers did like all the dead space stuff go through? Every time there's a new dead space game it seems like it's a new writer with a new take on the universe. Explains why there's the consistencies or lack there of between the games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The movies, the books, and the games all have different writing teams and so continuity between them can sometimes be sparse. The games mostly had the same writing staff until the transition between 2 and 3 in which EA was like "hey Visceral do you like being totally hosed over by us? oh well sorry to hear that lol".

Though one of the head writers for the first game did leave Visceral after it was over to work on Binary Domain. He had this to say about 3:

quote:

Johnston then added that Dead Space 3’s focus on action is “a necessary evil in order to broaden the fan base,” admitting that “it’s a very difficult balancing act to pull off."

This isn't the first time Johnston shared his disagreements over the change of direction. In July, he told StickTwiddlers: "I think it’s a shame they have to make these changes in order to sell more copies. But that’s the reality of making mega-budget games these days, and I have a lot of love and respect for the [Dead Space] team at Visceral.”

Which I think is kinda funny.

By the way, what I said in the episode about sales can be backed up by EA's Labels president Frank Gibeau:

quote:

"In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise, because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space.

"Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them.

"We feel good about that growth but we have to be very paranoid about making sure we don't change the experience so much that we lose the fanbase."

The game sold about 600k in its first month which EA said was disappointing to them, so it didn't exactly meet their standards despite having a pretty goddamn big opening sales rush! In fact it was the highest-selling AAA video game in the month it came out. That said, Visceral has stated that there is probably more Dead Space coming so who knows! Maybe we'll get lucky and it won't be bad!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 4, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

That said, Visceral has stated that there is probably more Dead Space coming so who knows! Maybe we'll get lucky and it won't be bad!
IIRC part of the trouble in Dead Space 3's development was that bunch of Visceral's staff got pulled by EA and sent to bail out DICE on something.

Visceral is now doing Battlefield Hardline.

So. Battlefield 2514 when?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CJacobs posted:

The movies, the books, and the games all have different writing teams and so continuity between them can sometimes be sparse. The games mostly had the same writing staff until the transition between 2 and 3 in which EA was like "hey Visceral do you like being totally hosed over by us? oh well sorry to hear that lol".

Though one of the head writers for the first game did leave Visceral after it was over to work on Binary Domain. He had this to say about 3:

Which I think is kinda funny.

By the way, what I said in the episode about sales can be backed up by EA's Labels president Frank Gibeau:

The game sold about 600k in its first month which EA said was disappointing to them, so it didn't exactly meet their standards despite having a pretty goddamn big opening sales rush! In fact it was the highest-selling AAA video game in the month it came out. That said, Visceral has stated that there is probably more Dead Space coming so who knows! Maybe we'll get lucky and it won't be bad!

I knew EA was in the habit of screwing over its game designers, especially at that time as Mass Effect 3 showed, but it is nice to get an idea on just how bad it was.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Once again, thank you, The Internet, for promptly returning this image when searching for "Shotgun Revolver":

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow posted:

Once again, thank you, The Internet, for promptly returning this image when searching for "Shotgun Revolver":

I do not care that this would not actually work and would explode in your hand on first use. I want one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Holy crap, a revolver shotgun actually exists. Unfortunately it's a revolver shotgun in that order, and not a shotgun revolver as Dead Space imagines it, but drat that's cool/stupid! I want to use one in Dead Space 4! Just make it fire, like, :airquote:plasma energy slugs:airquote: or something and you're all set!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 5, 2015

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Taurus Judge is an actual revolver shotgun, even if it uses the tiniest shotgun shell and looks really off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Atomikus posted:

Taurus Judge is an actual revolver shotgun, even if it uses the tiniest shotgun shell and looks really off.

By most standards the Judge is kinda crap for many purposes. It's a decent choice for immediate point blank defense (like carjackings), but .410 shotshells don't hit very hard even with the best buckshot available and .410 caliber slugs don't go very fast (and just plain don't load birdshot, it won't work). With .45 LC cartridges....it's just another .45 revolver.

The absolute biggest problem is the rifling. Bullets need spiral grooves in the barrel that grip and spin them to provide gyroscopic stability as they fly through the air, giving them the accuracy that they have today. But buckshot or birdshot fired through a rifled barrel spins itself into a doughnut shape and most of the pellets will miss the target at medium range. A bigger problem is that making it totally smoothbore for shotshells would make it legally classified as a Short-Barreled Shotgun (illegal in some states and requiring a $200 tax stamp and lots of red tape where it's legal) or an Any Other Weapon at best (requiring a $5 tax stamp and a little less red tape than an NFA item where legal). So they tried to fudge it by making really thin rifling that barely stabilizes bullets but still provides a little spin and spread to a shot cloud.

The end result is that the gun not only doesn't hit very hard, but it has mediocre at best accuracy. Doesn't stop people from wanking over it because they think a "shotgun revolver" should blow people in half.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

chitoryu12 posted:

The end result is that the gun not only doesn't hit very hard, but it has mediocre at best accuracy. Doesn't stop people from wanking over it because they think a "shotgun revolver" should blow people in half.

It doesn't help that when it's used in media, such as in the Max Payne movie, it's treated as this badass weapon despite it shooting 410.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Atomikus posted:

I've used it and it's a really good gun actually! It was surprisingly effective, but like if you thought shotguns had a short range (Which is REALLY exaggerated in videogames) this actually does have a short range if you use the buck shot. I feel like the judge is kind of for the really short range shot to gently caress someone's day up. Otherwise there's other pistols and shotguns which are way better.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zain posted:

I've used it and it's a really good gun actually! It was surprisingly effective, but like if you thought shotguns had a short range (Which is REALLY exaggerated in videogames) this actually does have a short range if you use the buck shot. I feel like the judge is kind of for the really short range shot to gently caress someone's day up. Otherwise there's other pistols and shotguns which are way better.

Like at point blank range (a few feet), it'll gently caress up your day about as well as having someone with a Walther PPK or other little .32 or .380 pistol plug you with a magazine's worth of bullets. But that's about the maximum of its effectiveness. Shotguns tend to get their killing power exaggerated by media.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Like at point blank range (a few feet), it'll gently caress up your day about as well as having someone with a Walther PPK or other little .32 or .380 pistol plug you with a magazine's worth of bullets. But that's about the maximum of its effectiveness. Shotguns tend to get their killing power exaggerated by media.

Yeah for sure, it's more of a fun gun than a practical gun. Like when my brother let me use it at the range it felt really powerful, but man at any range it was pathetic as hell. Sometimes it's about the fun and design of a gun than practicality.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Walt man be raised. I am joined by Nine-Gear Crow... and Cheron. There was a joke here about baby killing but that doesn't happen until the next episode! Whoops!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 6, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Unitologist Church is just amazing. Visceral nailed the 'we're a crazy church that has entirely too much money, time and crazyness on our hands!' :allears:

Sort of sad you didn't look at the little model they had on the table before you blew it out the window. It was sort of a prelude to come for the opening of Dead Space 3.

Also if you wonder why every Unitologist is crazy despite being human beings that should know better? The room where CJacobs noted the marker relief on the window has three Indoctrination Cubicles in it. Rising in the ranks of the Unitologist churches literally requires being brainwashed :pseudo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yep, it's pretty great! I didn't read the log on the table in that room but here's what it says:

quote:

Indoctrination Test Phase 1

Results for : Casey Milham

Desire to socially belong: High
Unassertiveness: Low
Gullibility: Low
Tolerance for ambiguity: High
Cultural disillusionment: Low
Idealism: High
Susceptibility to trance-like states: Low
Self-confidence: High
A desire for spiritual meaning: Low
Awareness of group influence on individuals: High
This subject is highly unlikely to stay affiliated with the Church after a short period of time.

We would expect him to exit the system after the Tithing Requirements section of initiation. We should invite him to go as far as he'd like, but do not book future earnings against him.

And there's also this right next to the entrance with the Clarke Sextuplets body pile:

quote:

Attention: Tour guide staff. Please remember to keep all visitors in your sight at all times. The indoctrination centers are strictly off limits to the casual public. Remember, be the light in the room for those who walk in darkness!

So yeah, not only are the indoctrination cubicles real and used to brainwash people into joining the church, they're also public knowledge! :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I know you've already done the full run through of DS2, but do you ever use the altfire on the javelin gun? The best part about it was making things explode with electricity after shoving a giant spike into it face/limb/body. The final upgrade on it it just made it even better.

edit: literally beaten to the answer five seconds later into the video. Such a beautiful sight. :science:

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 6, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:v:: Did you play Borderlands Tw--
:geno:: Nope.

I was surprisingly quick on the draw on that one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 6, 2015

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Altman get blazed.
Altman be braised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spbwf7
Nov 1, 2012
You don't just take away someone's CEC Engineering license, its a way of life, and unlife, like Unitology. Remember that necromorph from the first maintenance tunnel set-piece, hes also a CEC engineer, was just checking up on Issac to make sure his good buddy and professional colleague remembered how to use the shafts.

All the necromorphs jumping out of vents, they are just members of Dead Space's version of ASHRAE, the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air-conditioning Engineers.

I should know, I'm an engineer and I joined the Engineering Cult for Engineers when graduating from college. Sure sure, they say the "Order of the Engineer" is just hearkening back to the times of professional fraternities, but that poo poo is a cult, got an oath, these stainless steel rings we wear and everything.

• Locked thread