Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhDjkNejajo

A preview of the trials and tribulations faced by Jamie and I in the co-op version of the DLC videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nice to see you are still enjoying this excellent video game even into the DLC CJacobs.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's reassuring that Isaac reacts to waking up the same way I do. "...*sighs*...."

Also that your yelling is Isaac's alarm clock. He's been desperately trying to learn lucid dreaming but the end of his dreams are always some guy cursing and talking about how he hates videogames.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Stolen from the Architectural failures thread

Looks like there was at least one marker you failed to destroy.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
The real nightmare was yours CJacobs, it was yours all along.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I don't think I get this LP. We get the one intro video, then CJacobs just makes empty posts over the course of five months? That's weird, man. Are you gonna get out of this elevator start up this Let's Play or what?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

That reminds me, gotta go read the latest updates in FactsAreUseless' Pokemon Red LP.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's still not dead!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
You ever get a dumb idea

Fish Noise posted:

After that CONTACT BEEEAAAAM yelling I'm just going to go ahead and imagine that is Isaac "Nortonneutralizer" Clarke's stand.
And just when you think you've dismissed it, "no no that's really stupid"

MA-Horus posted:

The best character is CONTACTOOOOO BEAAAAAAAAM
Other people keep reinforcing it?

nine-gear crow posted:

Just make sure you scream CONTAAAAAAACT BEEEEEEEEAM!!! every time you fire it. (Warning: Dead Space 2 spoilers in linked video)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hell yes.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Please tell me he's posing like Hol Horse summoning his stand, Emperor

e: he iiiis :allears:

tlarn fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 21, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

tlarn posted:

That is exactly what he is doing.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

tlarn posted:

e: he iiiis :allears:

What? Who? Am I missing something?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zain posted:

What? Who? Am I missing something?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

That doesn't seem like a good gun to use especially with you finger on the revolver part of it.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Isaac's stand (the ghost of Nicole) is the one actually firing the gun. Duh.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

You're all wrong.

The best character is CONTACTOOOOO BEAAAAAAAAM-U

You forgot your language lessons already

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Welcome to Dead Space 3: Awakened! Dead Space 3: Awakened is a downloadable expansion released in March of 2013 that follows up on the game's ending and brings it to a nice, fitting conclusion.

...Well, maybe not. It does conclude though!

I decided that since Carver and Isaac see some pretty different things, I'd do two playthroughs of the DLC. The one on the left is in single player, with Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow, from the perspective of Isaac. The one on the right is in co-op with JamietheD and features myself as Carver. Both playthroughs have the same number of updates and go through the same content, but provide a different perspective on the events and show how just a simple misunderstanding can lead to some pretty goddamn stupid things happening.

If you look in the top corners of the video you will occasionally see ghosts of my name and JamietheD's because I'm dumb and forgot to edit those out! If I joke about my mistakes, they aren't mistakes anymore!

On this episode, Isaac and Carver wake up in the afterlife and pal around with Guy Fieri for a while before starting their own reality television show about living in a house with a family of necromorphs and loving I don't even care anymore some dumb poo poo happens it's all very stupid. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow, and in an alternate reality, JamietheD.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If you liked anime's such as Dead Space 3 you may also like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
So yeah, even only 1/3 done with the DLC, and... AAAAAAARGH! I'm going to say a couple of things now, and I shall regret none of them.

1) Some content had to be cut. Some content needed to be cut. There's something like 20 minutes in total where connection woes meant we had to go all the loving way back to some checkpoints. And I had words about Isaac's judgement calls. But those things, in the end, didn't add anything.

But I maintain Isaac retains terrible judgement, from the beginning to the end. :v:

2) I regret nothing I may have spoiled early in the DLC vids. It was totally obvious all the way through this DLC that- We are hungry We are coming We are hungry We are coming

...GOD-DAMMIT, CJACOBS, WHAT BLACKEST THREAD MAGIC IS THIS?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
but seriously, where am i? :shrug:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

:psyduck:

Why. They had a perfectly good, surprisingly fitting cosmic horror ending! Isaac and Carver die using means they barely understand to put an end to the horror and save everyone at the last minute. That was a good ending! It fit!

Why does this DLC exist.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Night10194 posted:

Why does this DLC exist.

To keep the franchise alive.

Also, they hint at Issac being alive at the very end with the "Ellie!" thing.

I also wouldn't be shocked if some people were screaming like they did at the ME3 ending and were saying "Issac deserved better!," as if issac was a real person.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Covok posted:

I wish they hadn't done that :negative:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CJacobs posted:

I wish they hadn't done that :negative:

I do, too...I do, too...

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
To add to the speculation, I don't think it's a matter of "whole" being the wrong word, I think it's something else.

The Brethren Moons, from what we've seen, have mouths and can swallow and (presumably) digest or convert matter.

I think they're not saying "Make us whole," they're saying "Make rear end in a top hat," so they can eliminate waste again. That both explains why the Markers are most appealing to folks like Danik (who is himself an rear end in a top hat) and why they provoke people like Carver, who seems likely to try to tear the Brethren Moons a new rear end in a top hat, thus unwittingly giving them what they want.

Too Much Poop, indeed.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Covok posted:

I also wouldn't be shocked if some people were screaming like they did at the ME3 ending and were saying "Issac deserved better!," as if issac was a real person.

Not as far as I recall, as I was in one of my "Planning to go back to reviewing phases" (I'm back for real this time) when Dead Space 3 came out, and I didn't hear many complaints about it at all. Sadly, this appeared pretty much planned. And, as much as I hate to say it, it fits with what seems to be the writing philosophy of this game. I'm in the middle of writing an article about it (and Thi4f) right now, and... Well, I'm trying not to use the word "stupid" in the article, like I did with my posts on the Thi4f plot, aaaand... It's becoming a real struggle, only two characters in of the four I want to mention for DS3... Especially since the second one is Norton, followed by Carver and Danik... :(

EDIT: vvv Unlike Isaac, I can only poop so much.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 22, 2015

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

If this turns out to be a dying man's/men's dream, I will be so mad.
Oh good. Also JamietheD really missed out on a 'dead space of isaac's rear end' joke via "Not taking you home!". I mean, jokes aren't jokes if you don't run them into the ground, right? :v:

Still, fun videos! Someday they'll catch a break and loving die for good. Or live happily ever after.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Make us doughnut-holes

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The third scavenger bot should be named Gregor Samsa. One day Gregor Samsa awoke to find he was in a bad, bad DLC in a game that was once good but was no longer.

Also so I can finish writing my Revelations 2/Dead Space 3 crossover LP where Isaac teaches Moira how to swear effectively when beating on things, Carver and Barry trade Dad Stories and Alex tries to plagiarize the Necromorphs only to just steal Altman Jr. Jr. thinking that he's Gregor Samsa.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I think the dead space series is really about growing up, and necromorphs and the dead moons are just representations of life's journey. His death and him finding himself still alive is just him realizing he's now an adult, and the constant insanity is just a part of being an adult.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Issac's journey is a familiar one. It is a journey we all have taken and will take again. It is a journey the speaks to us all. It's the journey to the toilet. Dead Space 1 was going to have a meal. It represents a beginning of a journey and is full of potential. Dead Space 2 was the meal. We were given so much to play with, so many flavors to enjoy, and a rich and balanced gameplay experience. Dead Space 3 is when the call of nature begins. When we realize that the meal we enjoyed so much has become a burden on our bodies and must be expunged.

As you may have guess, this means only one thing: Dead Space 4 will be the final leg of this familiar, universal journey: Too Much Poop.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I thought you were going to say Deep Space of Isaac's rear end: An Educational Journey Through the Human Colon

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, if the Moon talked to the other crazy moons, that means Carver still doomed humanity with his incredible dumbness, yes?

And probably got Elly killed to boot!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

So, if the Moon talked to the other crazy moons, that means Carver still doomed humanity with his incredible dumbness, yes?

Do you really think it was a coincidence that Isaac had another eyeball flashy event near the end right as the engineer for the last ship threw himself into the ship's engine to prevent it from leaving?

I'm pretty sure the moons did that deliberately to make sure Isaac can lead them back to Earth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Night10194 posted:

Yeah Carver's dooming of humanity is pretty much sealed at this point, which sucks. I mean realistically what can Isaac and Carver even do at this point except try to outrun the moons and warn Earth's people? It's like Carver said re: the first moon we fought, there's not enough ammo in the world to kill one let alone a half-dozen or so of them!

By the way, something to pay attention to that is only evident in the Carver videos: Although they both SEE them, Carver doesn't hear the moons talking to him, only Isaac does. So keep that in mind in the coming updates because it becomes kind of important.

Covok
May 27, 2013

If only DS2 Ellie was the co-op partner. If she were the partner, Issac and DS2 Ellie would be kicking back over drinks with the knowledge the necromorph menace was gone forever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Covok posted:

If only DS2 Ellie was the co-op partner. If she were the partner, Issac and DS2 Ellie would be kicking back over drinks with the knowledge the necromorph menace was gone forever.

"Hey, remember when you let Danik take you 'hostage' and then threw him off a cliff while I distracted him?" is how that standoff would've gone with her, I think.

It would have had everything. Isaac having good voice acting. Ellie doing something cool to avert a terrible ending. Danik being flung off a cliff. It could have been perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
You found 2739 stasis packs. However, you were only able to fit 10 in your inventory.

• Locked thread