Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

pkfan2004 posted:

My favorite Unknowable Alien Menace in a videogame is Crysis 2 because they actually had a professional writer do the novelization/plot for that game, Richard K. Morgan (who wrote Takeshi Kovacs). Like Lovecraft, the Ceph have been to Earth millions of years in the past with the intention of setting up a future property they could have. Returning a couple million years later and suddenly the planet is covered in pests. Well, poo poo. The other colony ships are coming. Look let's just dump some pest control spray on it, the organic kind that doesn't poison the environment. It'll wipe them all out, then we can just have some technicians knock down their colonies. What do you mean they're attacking back. Oh for gently caress's sake, get the battle suits.

Personally my favorite Unknowable Alien Menace would have to go to the Orz in Star Control 2 just because of the way the game handles you finding out stuff about them. Very creepy once you start putting the pieces together.

I actually don't remember a whole lot about the Ceph from Crysis despite playing the games, I didn't even remember the colony ship plot point at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow posted:

Question. How could you fall for the same Scavenger Bot trap not once, but TWICE in a row?

It was like months inbetween recording the DLC for singleplayer and multiplayer! A man tends to push stuff like terrifying jump scares out of his mind in that time!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today it all ends. Again. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow and, in an alternate universe, JamietheD.

Two more bonus videos to go.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 23, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
So yeah.

That happened.

WELLP :v:

Apparently there are still somehow potential plans for a Dead Space 4, how exactly you have a game after this I'm not sure.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, I was mis-remembering how the Carver fight goes in co-op at 10:30 or so in the Isaac video. I was thinking of the OTHER hallucination segments that we have already seen in the previous vids. As you can see in co-op, Isaac and Carver get teleported into the SAME hallucination, not different ones. Which does not make any sense at all but y'know what whatever. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 23, 2015

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Neruz posted:

So yeah.

That happened.

WELLP :v:

Apparently there are still somehow potential plans for a Dead Space 4, how exactly you have a game after this I'm not sure.

Doom Space 4: Hell on Earth.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If the writers were really trying to be clever, they could have tried to draw parallels between what the Bretheren Moons do and humanity literally shattering whole planets for resources.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That ending sucked.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I told you that I regret nothing. And yes, it was obvious from the moment they said "Hey, let's go to Earth" that the Necromorphs in one form or another, were already there because... I summed it up in one god-drat sentence: Action movie cliches. The thing really suffers from cliches that hell, even Action Movies are mostly trying to get past. Non-sequitur FACE-HEEL TURNS and NOT-TWISTS and ROMANCE SUBPLOT and... This is why I'm having such a hard time writing about this ongoing trend without using the word "Stupid"... Because just like Thi4f, the plot is driven by stupidity.

So, as much as it pains me to wish a studio wouldn't be able to do a thing... I genuinely hope there isn't a Dead Space 4. Because, after Hardline released, and it had many of the same writing problems, I lost my faith in Visceral to make good decisions. I'd already lost my faith in EA to make good decisions a while back.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Yeah, that was pretty awful.

I'd completed DS3, but never played the DLC, which was probably a good thing. The main game had a perfectly decent ending! I mean, Carver was still an idiot but at least him and Isaac died doing something heroic and all the loose ends were resolved. Ugh, gently caress all sequel hooks forever.

The fight against Carver looked cool though.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I still can't believe EA tricked me into paying for the Awakened DLC. Welcome to peak dumb, in which they actually thought there could be a follow-up to this. It takes a heck of a thing to get dumber than DS3's main campaign, but here we are.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Re: the Evangelion ending;

(source)

The ending would be okay if it wasn't blatantly obvious that it was a ending the writers were forced to poo poo out for the sake of making DLC.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I expected them to use the planet crackers to kill the brethen moons or something, but yes, that's one heck of a bad ending.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

And because Dead Space 3 didn't sell nearly as well as EA wanted...

Yeah that's pretty much the ending to the series most likely, barring some major moving and shaking. Great for a Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green tabletop game you were running with your buddies. Big ol' kick in the junk for a videogame.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's the ending equivalent of when you beat the poo poo out of a boss in gameplay, then they get up and kick your rear end in the cutscene afterwards.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Wait, of course the Bretheren Moons knew where Earth was. There was a loving Convergence going on while Isaac and Carver hosed around on Tau Volantis. That's why they went there in the first place.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Dead Space ends with the destruction of Earth and implied destruction of the entire galaxy. It could not end more perfectly.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I do like how stealthy the moons were, it just snuck up on you between our moon and Earth, that's pretty loving sneaky.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

1stGear posted:

Dead Space ends with the destruction of Earth and implied destruction of the entire galaxy. It could not end more perfectly.

And it's all Carver's fault. Magnificent.

Spudd posted:

I do like how stealthy the moons were, it just snuck up on you between our moon and Earth, that's pretty loving sneaky.

Moon 1: "Guys...guys. This is gonna be great everyone hide behind the planet so the retards can't see us at first. They'll think they've won. The look on their faces. Oh man. Then we drive them insane and eat them."
Moon 2: "Can we hit them with water balloons?"
Moon 1: "...We hit them with water balloons then we eat them."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Travic posted:

Moon 1: "Guys...guys. This is gonna be great everyone hide behind the planet so the retards can't see us at first. They'll think they've won. The look on their faces. Oh man. Then we drive them insane and eat them."
Moon 2: "Can we hit them with water balloons?"
Moon 1: "...We hit them with water balloons then we eat them."
Moon 3: *swaggers in* Hey everyone! We're all gonna get laid!
Cue ending credits.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Generally when you give a bad end you give some sort of silver lining that sits well with the viewer/reader/player. So even if it's sad... People get some sense of closure. Closure is REALLY important at least in the Western Culture - That's probably why Japanese Horror doesn't do well here because there's almost no sense of closure.

Also might be bad storytelling here- but I kinda wanna know who made the markers and why but we'll never know!

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 23, 2015

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Think there's nowhere for the next game to go? Hey, no problem.

Dead Space 4: The Return of Altman.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Narsham posted:

Think there's nowhere for the next game to go? Hey, no problem.

Dead Space 4: The Return of Altman.
Michael Altman had to poop.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And that's all she wrote. Please enjoy the end of the unlockables video and the finale video! I worked really really hard on them! Thank you all very very very very very very very much for watching. Sincerely. Thank you.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

For the curious: the song in case it wasn't obvious, the song I was slurring at the start of the video was Take Me To Chruch by Hozier, which I utterly despise because it sounds like a drunk rear end in a top hat slurring gibberish while also getting his dick pureed by a meatgrinder filled with shark's deeth and cattle prods.

Every time it comes on the radio, I have to fight the urge to physically destroy said radio.

I hate that song.

I hate it.

Me too :c00l: :respek: :smug:

That song is the worst and it comes on all the time at work and it is bad.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
That is a pretty great ending, CJacobs, and I love the return of the foam finger. (There was no way in hell I was going to suffer through Hardcore in DS3 for it myself though)

Thanks for all the effort you put in documenting this downhill deathtrap of a rollercoaster. It's been much more fun than the game deserves.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

And that's all she wrote. Please enjoy the end of the unlockables video and the finale video! I worked really really hard on them! Thank you all very very very very very very very much for watching. Sincerely. Thank you.
I love a happy ending. :buddy:

Thanks, CJacobs.

Thacobs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The Devil's Hands and Retro mode make me disappointed. Something about them makes me feel like the game was in the hands of people who could have made a better game.

You want to know what didn't disappoint me? This LP. Great job, CJacobs! It was a fun blast finding out what happened with this series and all of you guys gave great commentary to the whole shebang.

Looking forward to the Stephen King Knock-off you're planing on doing. Be warned, it's eternity in there.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
RIP Dead Space.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ronald Jenkees! :swoon:

Thanks for the Let's Play. That was great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Thanks for the LP! After seeing LPs of the first two games years ago I always wanted to know how the story ends, even if it's kind of dumb.

What bothers me the most about the Moons is that the tentacles are really obviously just a single flat, shifting texture that doesn't look even remotely convincing or scary. It's a sharp contrast with the generally excellent art and graphics of the game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Thanks for the LP, CJacobs. It was more than this game deserved.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Travic posted:

Ronald Jenkees! :swoon:

Thanks for the Let's Play. That was great.

Yeah man Ronald Jenkees owns! His music is great! I also really like the song I used for the "credits", Sekiranun Graffiti by Supercell, I don't care if it makes me a weeb it makes me feel happy inside when I listen to it.

Sindai posted:

What bothers me the most about the Moons is that the tentacles are really obviously just a single flat, shifting texture that doesn't look even remotely convincing or scary. It's a sharp contrast with the generally excellent art and graphics of the game.

Yeah that did kind of ruin their scariness a bit. I just like to imagine it's like the description for DLC ep2 says and that's how they get around, by waving their tentacles around like a propeller. :v:

paragon1 posted:

RIP Dead Space.

RIP in pieces :911:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zain posted:

Also might be bad storytelling here- but I kinda wanna know who made the markers and why but we'll never know!

The Brethren Moons made the Markers as a means by which to reproduce and\or find new food sources. Upon landing on a planet the Markers start influencing local lifeforms to develop intelligence and eventually trigger Convergence and spawn a new Brethren Moon, alternately the Brethren Moons can use a Marker as a homing beacon to find more food.

Markers are basically Brethren Moon eggs.

The tentacles on the moons are pretty disappointing, normally I would be able to understand not having the time to do a proper 3d model for hundreds of tentacles waving about but these are the goddamn Brethren Moons, the Big Bads of the Dead Space universe. They are the last thing that should be half-assed :colbert:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Neruz posted:

The Brethren Moons made the Markers as a means by which to reproduce and\or find new food sources. Upon landing on a planet the Markers start influencing local lifeforms to develop intelligence and eventually trigger Convergence and spawn a new Brethren Moon, alternately the Brethren Moons can use a Marker as a homing beacon to find more food.

Did they ever say the Markers are basically the monoliths from 2001 or is that a fan theory?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Covok posted:

Did they ever say the Markers are basically the monoliths from 2001 or is that a fan theory?

I believe it is established in some text logs.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Neruz posted:

The tentacles on the moons are pretty disappointing, normally I would be able to understand not having the time to do a proper 3d model for hundreds of tentacles waving about but these are the goddamn Brethren Moons, the Big Bads of the Dead Space universe. They are the last thing that should be half-assed :colbert:

I guess so, but like that raises some questions of all these brethren moon need the markers to converge. The moons don't seem like a "Natural process" to me which is why I'm a bit confused. Maybe my suspension of disbelief is in the wrong area here?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Covok posted:

Theory. They just compel sapient beings to try and gently caress with their planet's Black Marker to cause the Necromorphs to come. Probably every planet has its own Black Marker on the off chance sapient life develops there. I don't think they intentionally cultivate sapient life any more than demons in Dorf Fortress cultivate dwarven populations to mine out a hollow adamantine spire.

Also thanks a ton for playing this game, CJacobs, because now I'll never have to get a console that will run it or Origin to play it. Great LP.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zain posted:

I guess so, but like that raises some questions of all these brethren moon need the markers to converge. The moons don't seem like a "Natural process" to me which is why I'm a bit confused. Maybe my suspension of disbelief is in the wrong area here?

How the first Brethren Moon came to be is unknown; given that the Black Marker first arrived on earth over 65 million years ago odds are the Brethren Moons have been around at least that long and presumably a lot longer so they are probably the only beings who know where they came from and how they were created.

Personally I think the most likely answer is ages ago some idiots decided to make the perfect biological weapon that could reanimate the dead to fight for them and it got way out of control. If Dead Space 4 ever happens, which is pretty unlikely, we may find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

That answer will probably be the official one, if there is a Dead Space 4, but, no offense, feels a bit pedestrian.

• Locked thread