Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Isaac is actually an autistic child, and this is his dream after his parents take away his Maker-brand sled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Isaac is a marker.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Isaac huffed one too many markers.

George
Nov 27, 2004

The real ending to the Dead Space(tm) saga.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Jesus christ that's Malcolm Macdowell!

George
Nov 27, 2004

give me thread posted:

Jesus christ that's Malcolm Macdowell!

If you've never watched Get Crazy... well, I guess I just linked the entire film.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Kurieg posted:

I've heard about the ending, and while they do give a.. definitive answer, it's definitely not the one anyone would expect, ever, with any amount of prior knowledge about this series.

I've also heard about the ending (Surprise, I haven't been bothered to finish it either!), and... It makes about as much sense as the "Big Reveal" for the UFO Trilogy I was Let's Playing some time back. Remind me about this post when we do get to the ending, because... Holy fuckballs, sometimes games get crazy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey good news, the claims got resolved in my favor so now the dickweeds that were trying to claim copyright of my silly let's play are no longer a problem. It sucks that Google is terrible about handling copyright issues and false flags in all aspects of YouTube and their business in general, but at least it's over now and we can get back to the funnies.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 25, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JamieTheD posted:

I've also heard about the ending (Surprise, I haven't been bothered to finish it either!), and... It makes about as much sense as the "Big Reveal" for the UFO Trilogy I was Let's Playing some time back. Remind me about this post when we do get to the ending, because... Holy fuckballs, sometimes games get crazy.

It is in no way as glorious and hilarious as the reveals in UFO. UFO's insane reveals are the greatest thing ever.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CJacobs posted:

Hey good news, the claims got resolved in my favor so now the dickweeds that were trying to claim copyright of my silly let's play are no longer a problem. It sucks that Google is terrible about handling copyright issues and false flags in all aspects of YouTube and their business in general, but at least it's over now and we can get back to the funnies.

The system sort of works :confuoot:!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is time to talk about the audio of Dead Space 3 for a little bit, namely the fact that the audio balancing is loving horrible. You may have noticed a few sudden volume changes whenever necromorph shootin' starts in the videos so far, and it's because unedited, the waveform for a given video looks like this:

(red lines indicate clipping audio)

See if you can spot what parts of this waveform are cutscenes and what parts are necromorph fighting. I know what you're thinking: "Holy poo poo what the gently caress did you do?!" The answer is absolutely nothing, this is just what happens to the game's audio because it has absolutely no normalization or equalization to speak of. I had this problem with Dead Space 1 too but that LP did not go on long enough for me to find a way to fix it; it's actually an issue with every game in the series. So far I've been manually editing it but I have been trying real hard to come up with a way to equalize it so that it's not godawful.

There is a particular issue with the sound effects that is kind of hindering my ability to just do normalization automatically and wipe my hands of it and that's that the game's audio is very, very bassy. Doing normalization automatically causes the bass to be crushed to the point of sounding tinny during firefights (it makes Isaac's guns sound hilariously wimpy, however) because there's just SO MUCH of a difference between the calm and the not calm parts.

Unfortunately changing the sound settings ingame actually does very little until you put one toward the extreme ends, at which point it either becomes almost inaudible or it vastly overpowers the rest. By default, all 3 volume settings: Music, Sound FX, and Voices are all at 100 and that waveform up there is what it looks like. All of the sounds are loud and crushed even if you set the voices and music to be higher and like I've been mentioning so far, the music overshadows the sound effects too at seemingly random intervals. It's really, really bad.

But anyway, my point is, I'm editing episode 5 right now and I'm trying to put a stop to it as best as I can so that I no longer have to manually edit the volume levels of every video. If I figure something out that works well I'll let you know, because the game's sound settings are too schizophrenic and poor to rely on.

If anyone DOES have some suggestions on how to fix this I'd be glad to hear them because at the moment I'm a little stumped, audio editing is not my field of expertise.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 23, 2014

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Night10194 posted:

It is in no way as glorious and hilarious as the reveals in UFO. UFO's insane reveals are the greatest thing ever.

What were they?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Elric posted:

What were they?

Like I said, I'll deal with it when we get to the right moment, but suffice to say, it was gloriously hosed up... And, thinking about it, there's even more parallels between the UFO Trilogy (Aftermath, Aftershock, Afterlight) and Dead Space 3. But for everything a proper time. (EDIT: Translation - Can't actually talk about it yet because SPOILERS)

Also, despite xmas putting a few dints in my general LP type plans, I will be trying my best to make something for the thread, if only out of atonement for my shameful framerate in the first vid (Which has been mostly fixed, by virtue of incredibly stupid things I shouldn't need to gently caress with. CJacobs will know what I mean when I'm gonna be sending him, hopefully before the co-op vid turns up... THE UNTOLD STORY.

Gonna spoil stupid poo poo right now though.

So, for reasons (I've not been able to discover), Dead Space 3 can't communicate with your system, like any game with a system test, and so doesn't set the number of cores it's working with. So, improving the FPS step 1 was... Literally finding the config files and telling it how many cores I have. Because normally, that poo poo isn't set at all in the game, and from what I can tell, it'll put a high load on the first core, then the next core when that's full, so on, instead of spreading the load evenly. Thanks, appreciate that... :razz: . That got me a whopping 10 frames.

The other thing, which is also for "reasons I'm hoping somebody who programs can make sense of", no matter what you do, vsync is always enabled in windowed mode, even if you specify turning it off in graphics settings. So turning poo poo to full screen, then turning vsync off (Thankfully, that's actually a menu option, no config fuckery required), that got me... Between 25 and 30 loving frames a second.

This hasn't corrected all issues with the bloody game, but, for real, I'm not feeling too charitable towards Dead Space 3 around now, and I'm pretty sure (for equally valid reasons) CJacobs isn't either.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 23, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JamieTheD posted:

I'm not feeling too charitable towards Dead Space 3 around now, and I'm pretty sure (for equally valid reasons) CJacobs isn't either.

I am. Let's all make fun stuff for this thread :unsmith:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Blind Sally posted:

I am. Let's all make fun stuff for this thread :unsmith:

I almost want to do a gimmick run where all I use is the Earth Gov revolver and a shotgun so I can pretend I'm Chris Redfield from RE1 in space.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

CJacobs posted:

If anyone DOES have some suggestions on how to fix this I'd be glad to hear them because at the moment I'm a little stumped, audio editing is not my field of expertise.

It looks like you're using Audacity to edit? I don't know how to do it in audacity, but in other audio editing programs you can access filters that will divide your audio into specific hertz ranges. You can try pulling your tracks into different audio ranges (I.E. one track just has the bass, one just has the midrange, etc.) and then run each range through some dynamics processing to smooth it out.

If you want to dump your audio into dropbox or something and toss a link, I can download audacity and try some things, then let you know what seems to work.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Yay!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Merry almost Christmas, here is a new update.

Today we visit good old Canada for a while and explode some of the locals while trying to uncover some plainly obvious secrets that probably would go un-addressed if this were a bad video game. Good thing it's not one ha ha am I right? I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

TEXT LOGS IN THIS CHAPTER:

quote:

PERSONAL LOG: Laura Engstorm

When the Sovereign Colonies signed me on to this project, I was lead to believe we would be given free reign of site access and resources. It's anything but. Mahad's men are thick as molasses, stationed at practically every airlock, asking for badges and ID's and research tickets every step of the way. I can't tell if they're obstructionist on purpose or by accident, but either way, I'll have a word with Mahad. Or several.

Despite all this, we haven't been rendered entirely useless. Today we got a look at one of the specimens brought up from the planet. We've confirmed it is indeed organic life trapped in the ice. Early tests suggest is had been there for possibly millions of years.

Tomorrow we will dissect the specimen. And I understand there are many, many more where that came from!

quote:

PERSONAL LOG: Laura Engstorm

The frozen specimens are breathtaking. Their physiology isn’t entirely dissimilar to our own in the broadest sense. They are large, almost in majestic in a way. Their crested heads are both horrifying and beautiful. Dr. Serrano suspects there may be millions of them down there, trapped in the ice amongst the Markers.

Who were these noble creators? Why did they build the markers? Are they responsible for placing the Black Marker on Earth? For what reason? I believe we will find all of these answers and more on this frozen planet.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Elemental weapons totally and utterly shatter the difficulty of Dead Space 3, later on, you can make some hilariously overpowered creations and Issac Clarke becomes Death Incarnate!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Judge Tesla posted:

Elemental weapons totally and utterly shatter the difficulty of Dead Space 3, later on, you can make some hilariously overpowered creations and Issac Clarke becomes Death Incarnate!

I never really felt that way about those modules except for the Explosive Module to make the Javelin gun into a direct fire grenade launcher. You never really had the luxury to use the elemental mods to do its damage before you needed to take some goon down. That's part of the problem of the game in that they turned it into action-horror that made "You need to die NOW" the mantra of any encounter because you didn't know how many were going to attack at any given time.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Rick_Hunter posted:

I never really felt that way about those modules except for the Explosive Module to make the Javelin gun into a direct fire grenade launcher. You never really had the luxury to use the elemental mods to do its damage before you needed to take some goon down. That's part of the problem of the game in that they turned it into action-horror that made "You need to die NOW" the mantra of any encounter because you didn't know how many were going to attack at any given time.

You say that but (and I'm spoilering this to be safe) You could add Stasis modules to weapons, so you could make a electrical line launcher that also froze enemies in time for a short while, stasis modules on guns are the true game breakers.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

A bigger problem is that you don't need an Earth-like planet. You can do fine by sticking to O'Neill cylinders and using asteroids for resources.

Having an energy crisis in this situation makes the Imperium of Man (where ships load their missile launchers using slave labor because they haven't figured out automated ammo loaders) look like an efficient and well managed government.

To be fair, the Imperium of Man has a proper sense of scale. There's a million worlds (or so the estimates, which are about a century out of date at best, say) across the entire Galaxy so administrating the entirety of them is a goddamn nightmare. Especially when you don't have AIs to do it for you, because of the previous AI Rebellion. Similarly, the Imperial Navy has at the very least millions of ships, if not hundreds of millions. Ensuring that everyone of them has the same technology when they can be built nearly anywhere (including over Feral Worlds for a much cited example) is utterly impossible. By the way, auto-loaders are not a lost technology... Well, at least not everywhere. Depends on the Sector.

Considering the difficulties involved, the Imperium is a miracle of efficient administration and managing technology standardization. They make it a point to use every scrap of resource, manpower and technology they have as efficiently as they can. Admittedly, their best is not very efficient, but they make the effort.

Dead Space, by comparison... You have to wonder how they managed to get off Earth in the first place.

"We need limitless energy!"

IoM: "Plasma Reactor, check. Integrated Solar Panels, check. Windmills, check. Geothermal Powerplant, check. Nuclear Reactor, check. Internal Combustion Engine, check. Mechanical Pedals and the thousands needed to operate them, check. Hurd Infestation purged by accident, check. Fabricator-General, we have achieved maximum redundancy."

Dead Space: "... Solar Power? Nope. Wind Power? Nope. Nuclear Power? Nope. All the resources of the Solar System? Magically vanished. MARKER POWER? CHECCCCCKKKKK!!!!... Hey, why do horrible things happen for the fifth time?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For context, here's the Wikipedia links Blind Sally was reading during the commentary recording Greely, Ontario, Maj. Gen. Adolphus Greely, and Notable Death Traps in Ontario.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

For context, here's the Wikipedia links Blind Sally was reading during the commentary recording Greely, Ontario, Maj. Gen. Adolphus Greely, and Notable Death Traps in Ontario.

Everyone in Canada knows that Toronto is a Death Trap. Even Montreal, with its notorious "Free-for-All/nearly suicidal" pedestrian behaviour, is less deadly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Delta Green posted:

Everyone in Canada knows that Toronto is a Death Trap. Even Montreal, with its notorious "Free-for-All/nearly suicidal" pedestrian behaviour, is less deadly.

I blame the constant street fighting, the recent trend of making battles of the bands "to the death", and Honest Ed's.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I would actually like to join in the defence of Dead Space's back-visible oxygen counts and whatnot. Those are pretty clearly for other people to read - if you turn the camera so you can see the top side of his chin guard, you can see it has text running over it. Even if they don't give him a HUD, in theory he can look down and see his suit's readouts.

In any case it's a good thing that you have so much oxygen, because the space segments of DS3 are really pretty and very relaxing. Just as long as you keep moving a bit so that the bulbasaurs can't shoot you and ruin the mood.

Also note, by this point you can see what I mean about medigel. It means almost nothing in DS3, they give you SO MANY health kits you will literally be converting them into gel that you never plan on using by maybe halfway through the game. The only question is how many large health kits you should carry around with you. (Yes, I know they can be used for one or two upgrades, but that's only a little bit and then there is nothing to convert it into whatsoever. The only thing you can do with them is make a ridiculous number of large health kits and do a melee-only run.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, the exterior RIG readouts would be great for industrial or military work. At a glance you can tell who's injured (and roughly how badly), who needs their stasis recharged, and how much oxygen everyone has left if applicable. Oxygen and injuries are especially vital, as it's not uncommon for people suffering oxygen deprivation or injuries to not notice or under-report problems. Someone could keep insisting he was fine, only to drop dead of internal injuries at the wrong time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

One thing I've never completely understood about Dead Space Rigs, the health readout. Is that literally a comprehensive understanding of the Rig-wearer's mental, physical, and metaphysical wellness, or is it an indicator of an onboard tank of medigel? Because I've always assumed it was just Isaac's tank of medigel that gets doled out whenever he's hit and is refilled by the healthpacks, but other people seem to believe that it's literally an indicator of how roughed up he is at all times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Bravo posted:

One thing I've never completely understood about Dead Space Rigs, the health readout. Is that literally a comprehensive understanding of the Rig-wearer's mental, physical, and metaphysical wellness, or is it an indicator of an onboard tank of medigel? Because I've always assumed it was just Isaac's tank of medigel that gets doled out whenever he's hit and is refilled by the healthpacks, but other people seem to believe that it's literally an indicator of how roughed up he is at all times.

I've never thought about it that way before but that actually is a pretty good explanation. I'd always assumed they just didn't expect the player to bother thinking too hard about it or something.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I've never thought about it that way before but that actually is a pretty good explanation. I'd always assumed they just didn't expect the player to bother thinking too hard about it or something.

It's probably something along those lines and a general report on the health of the subject, based off a standard readout.

If hits can be healed by the in-board medical systems, it can be refilled by Med Packs and only decreases according to the amount of resources used to heal/patch the wounds.

If the hits are impossible to heal/restore to the baseline with the in-board medical systems, then the RIG can't be refilled beyond a certain point.

Otherwise, RIGs flatlining after immediately fatal injuries wouldn't make sense.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Delta Green posted:

"We need limitless energy!"

IoM: "Plasma Reactor, check. Integrated Solar Panels, check. Windmills, check. Geothermal Powerplant, check. Nuclear Reactor, check. Internal Combustion Engine, check. Mechanical Pedals and the thousands needed to operate them, check. Hurd Infestation purged by accident, check. Fabricator-General, we have achieved maximum redundancy."

Dead Space: "... Solar Power? Nope. Wind Power? Nope. Nuclear Power? Nope. All the resources of the Solar System? Magically vanished. MARKER POWER? CHECCCCCKKKKK!!!!... Hey, why do horrible things happen for the fifth time?"

This is one of the things that chapped my rear end about the storytelling in Dead Space 2. I've heard rumors the game had a nightmarish development cycle and was lucky to be released as polished as it was, but Tiedemann's whole motivation for the marker construction brainwashing assembly line was "these markers are a source of perpetual energy" and you don't find that explicitly stated anywhere except one text log left on the ground in a section where shrieking space anuses are chasing you around.

But then "coherent storytelling" isn't what brings any of us to the Dead Space dance, is it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I sincerely love the concept of Tiedemann being the villain because, I mean, think of it from his perspective: You're the leader of the security force on a massive space station that is being sabotaged left and right by insane scientologist assholes and in your attempts to keep it held together with bubblegum and duct tape there's this nutbar running around shooting up the place with a massive horde of zombie aliens following in his every step. Tiedemann makes it very clear in the beginning of the game that he cares more about evacuating the people of Titan Station than capturing Isaac, but as the game goes on he starts to realize that there's no saving it.

He shows empathy because when things go wrong he immediately understands that it's the Marker's fault unlike every other Dead Space character that exists. That's why it's a shame that they went with the "Markers provide limitless energy" thing, because if they DIDN'T do it that way as the canonical explanation and went with Dead Space 1's explanation of that just being a theory people believed, his stern-ness would be much more reliant on faith of his own comparable in its own ways to Unitology and I think that would've made a much better character.

He's a versatile character who has his stern beliefs destroyed because Isaac's got the determination to not just give up and die and I think that's really cool. It makes me sad that Danik is not nearly that complex as we will find out shortly, because I feel like it's just a big missed opportunity.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 26, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

In the beginning of Dead Space 2, one of the more repentant crazies who worked for Tiedmann gives Isaac a med pack because his "rig is red."

It's right after Isaac escapes the first cutscene, so I dunno if he's supposed to be healthy or drugged or injured from torture or whatever, but the rigs do seem to act as a kind of warning for other people. They also change colours and some people have rigs that are a lot smaller than others...

Maybe rigs are a measure of medigel but colour is more a generic warning about overall health?

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

I thought the power source thing was still Marker brainwashing in order to propagate itself? That's the kind of trick that wouldn't work well if everybody nearby didn't become a zombie a day later. They'd send graphs back to Earthgov showing how many jigawatts the Marker's producing and Earthgov receives a picture of a dead cat. So if it's actually true that they're free energy machines, then it makes a tiny bit more sense that Earthgov would consider zombies to be acceptable losses, because Earthgov is really insane.

^^^ Oh yeah, it's totally canon that the things on the back are for other miners to read. I don't think they've ever said what they read, but I like the idea of it indicating how much medigel is stored.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

I sincerely love the concept of Tiedemann being the villain because, I mean, think of it from his perspective: You're the leader of the security force on a massive space station that is being sabotaged left and right by insane scientologist assholes and in your attempts to keep it held together with bubblegum and duct tape there's this nutbar running around shooting up the place with a massive horde of zombie aliens following in his every step. Tiedemann makes it very clear in the beginning of the game that he cares more about evacuating the people of Titan Station than capturing Isaac, but as the game goes on he starts to realize that there's no saving it.

He shows empathy because when things go wrong he immediately understands that it's the Marker's fault unlike every other Dead Space character that exists. That's why it's a shame that they went with the "Markers provide limitless energy" thing, because if they DIDN'T do it that way as the canonical explanation and went with Dead Space 1's explanation of that just being a theory people believed, his stern-ness would be much more reliant on faith of his own comparable in its own ways to Unitology and I think that would've made a much better character.

He's a versatile character who has his stern beliefs destroyed because Isaac's got the determination to not just give up and die and I think that's really cool. It makes me sad that Danik is not nearly that complex as we will find out shortly, because I feel like it's just a big missed opportunity.

Hell, there are mysterious other bad guys giving Tiedemann a ton of poo poo for trying to save the people of the station (and successfully saving quite a few of them, many of the evacuation transports made it to safety). Tiedemann works as a villain because he's basically another protagonist whose well-intentioned (but flawed) goals are opposite the goals of the main character and involve defeating Isaac, rather than because he's a mustache-twirling psychopath cliche like Danik.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

In the beginning of Dead Space 2, one of the more repentant crazies who worked for Tiedmann gives Isaac a med pack because his "rig is red."

It's right after Isaac escapes the first cutscene, so I dunno if he's supposed to be healthy or drugged or injured from torture or whatever, but the rigs do seem to act as a kind of warning for other people. They also change colours and some people have rigs that are a lot smaller than others...

Maybe rigs are a measure of medigel but colour is more a generic warning about overall health?

I think the spine is just meant to show a generic indicator of overall health. It probably interfaces directly with the body (as in actual stuff being shoved into you for measurements) to determine how it "looks" to its sensors at an average time and spots a variety of problems like heart rate, infections, blood loss, and separated or missing tissue (so it could also detect holes made in the body as well as dismemberment or chunks taken off) and generalizes it into a colored, depleting bar. I wouldn't be surprised if the in-universe explanation for the RIG spine design was that they were inspired by video game health bars due to their ease of reading and the popularity of video games galaxy-wide.

It wouldn't be meant to replace proper diagnostics, of course. It just provides an easy-to-read (if not entirely accurate) depiction of how close to death an individual is, so you can look at a group at a glance and quickly determine who needs aid the most.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Also, the color of the bar actually changes as it decreases. From 50%-100%, the bar is green, 25-50% the bar is yellow, and 25% or below the bar turns red.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Isn't it bluish-white from 100-75%?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Maybe, I kind of guessed at the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I think the color doesn't mean that much corresponding to the health left, at least in Dead Space 3, because at full health Carver's is a weird green-to-blue gradient. Isaac's is like a turquoise color but I'm pretty sure they were green in some external Dead Space media I can't remember.

• Locked thread