Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Straight to the OP with ya

YIIIIISS! :woop::woop:

Page 7 8 get hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Blind Sally posted:

In the beginning of Dead Space 2, one of the more repentant crazies who worked for Tiedmann gives Isaac a med pack because his "rig is red."

It's right after Isaac escapes the first cutscene, so I dunno if he's supposed to be healthy or drugged or injured from torture or whatever, but the rigs do seem to act as a kind of warning for other people. They also change colours and some people have rigs that are a lot smaller than others...

Maybe rigs are a measure of medigel but colour is more a generic warning about overall health?

~one week later~
He starts the game in yellow, then that Slasher that gets stuck in the door stabs the poo poo out of you before it dies and takes you down to a sliver of health.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sorry it's been like two weeks (two whole weeks?!) since a main video update, but thankfully I made plans for there to be bonus videos to tide you over while you wait. Dead Space 3 came with a helluva lot of assorted DLC, and today we're looking at two of the more important ones: The Sharpshooter pre-order DLC, which adds a special high-velocity plasma cutter and shotgun, and a sneak preview of the prequel campaign DLC, 'Dead Space 3: Temporal Shift'. Enjoy! I am joined by Blind Sally.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Oh yeah, I heard about Visceral farming out their DLC to Rockstar Studios for this one. It seems to have made quite a difference.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

IronSaber posted:

Oh yeah, I heard about Visceral farming out their DLC to Rockstar Studios for this one. It seems to have made quite a difference.

Call me suspicious, but I think Rockstar re-used a lot of assets from one of their most recent games.

There's just something eerily similar to that game in this DLC.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Delta Green posted:

Call me suspicious, but I think Rockstar re-used a lot of assets from one of their most recent games.

There's just something eerily similar to that game in this DLC.

Well, I imagine they had to cut corners in order to meet the unreasonable deadlines set by EA.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The only cargo worse than the cargo on this ship is the kind of pants worn by dads trying to be hip and juggalos. Also we make some jokes about the Brusilov video that isn't out yet but it's okay because we don't spoil anything. I am joined by Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow.

TEXT LOGS IN THIS CHAPTER:

quote:

OFFICER’S LOG: CDR VALERY DIETZ

The CMS CROZIER brought up a second load of artifacts from the planet surface. I asked ADM Graves what the protocol was for proper handling and stowage but she just shrugged.

Until we hear otherwise, I've ordered them stored with the rest in TERRA NOVA cargo hold.

quote:

OFFICER'S LOG: CDR VALERY DIETZ

The planet's storm systems have everyone working sleepless nights. All hands must be available at a moment's notice to accommodate shuttle flights to and from the dig sites.

It's served to create a great deal of tension among the crew since we brought the first batch of artifacts aboard.

Several of the crew have been sent to sick bay with complaints of headaches and loss of concentration. To make matters worse and despite orders to the contrary. I suspect the crew have been discussing the details of our cargo with other personnel. These rumors only serve to exacerbate the situation and I will not stand for this kind of behavior on my ship.

quote:

SCAF-ISC-30948 CMS-TERRA-NOVA

PERSONAL-LOG: LT KETTLE

THE COLONIES ARE AT WAR AND WE SEND AN ENTIRE FLEET TO THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE TO FIND SOME FUNKY ROCKS. WHAT THE HELL ARE WE LOOKING FOR? A SECRET WEAPON?

EVERY DAY, THEY SHIP US STRANGE THINGS FROM THE PLANET - ARTIFACTS, BIOLOGICAL SAMPLES... AND DEAD SOLDIERS.

I'M TIRED OF BEING KEPT IN THE DARK. IT'S TIME I HAVE A CHAT WITH DIETZ.

I've always wondered why the SCAF logs are in all caps. Just an observation.

quote:

TRANSCRIPT BEGIN:

SCAF-ISC-31293 CMS-TERRA-NOVA.

LJG CHARLES SEKOWSKI: SAM, YOU HAVE TO CHECK THIS OUT! GOT THIS IMAGE FROM TIM KAUFMANN PLANETSIDE. ARE THOSE WHAT I THINK THEY ARE?

LCDR SAM KETTLE: WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!? THE CAPTAIN IS GOING TO LOSE IT IF SHE FINDS YOU LEAKING CONFIDENTAL INFO LIKE THAT!

LJG CHARLES SEKOWSKI: YOU THINK THIS IS WHY THEY BROUGHT US ALL THE WAY OUT HERE?

LCDR SAM KETTLE: STAY OUT OF IT, SEKOWSKI! THE LESS YOU KNOW, THE BETTER. TRUST ME.

TRANSCRIPT END.

quote:

TRANSCRIPT BEGIN:

S.C.A.F.-30692 CMS-TERRA-NOVA.

LCDR SAM KETTLE: ADM GRAVES REQUESTING SPECIMEN TRANSFER FROM PLANET. CMS-CROZIER AND CMS-FRANKLIN EN ROUTE. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? WE ARE A RESUPPLY SHIP, NOT A ZOO.

CDR VALERY DIETZ: TRANSFER CONFIRMED. SORRY, SAM. MY HANDS ARE TIED. LET'S JUST MAKE SURE THAT STUFF STAYS CONFINED TO STORAGE. DOUBLE UP ON QUARANTINE CHECKS.

TRANSCRIPT END.

quote:

OFFICER'S LOG: CDR. Valery Dietz

We deployed the CMS CROZIER today to take advantage of an opening in the cloud layer.

During her first fly-over, the crew spied an unusual mountain formation in the center of a jagged crater. LT Metcalfe was able to snap some pics of a series of snow-covered obelisks near the peak. The arrangement was chaotic as we'd expect from such a storm-ravaged planet. But the size and shape of each is nearly identical - like two tendrils intertwined.

LCDR Busby was overcome by headaches and blurred vision during the flight and had to be relieved of duty pending a medical exam.

TRIVIA:
- Keeping true to the other miscellaneous ships scattered around the colony, the Crozier is named after yet another ill-fated expedition, this one after Francis Crozier, who survived 6 Antarctic expeditions (what a badass) but perished during the 7th.
- Some of the text logs above, and a few of the audio logs within this chapter and the next, imply that the Crozier was never in considerably functional condition during the Tau Volantis expedition. When Isaac says that it's a real piece of poo poo, he's not kidding. It's just another layer on top of the "human beings are incompetent at everything" sundae for the Dead Space series, really.
- The DLC (the real DLC, mind you) mentions that the Terra Nova is powered by a loving nuclear reactor. I mean, the ship is over 200 years old, but compared to the technology of Dead Space today that's fuckin' nuts. Why is everything in the Dead Space universe a death trap???
- Blind Sally mentioned the meaning of 'Terra Nova' in the video, but actually 'Terra Nova' was the name of YET ANOTHER ill-fated expedition to Antarctica which took place in the 1910s.
- Also I dunno if you saw it but there was a loving Marker just sitting there in the cargo hold covered up by a tarp WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THIS GAME

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Man, that Co-Op episode was awesome!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

- Also I dunno if you saw it but there was a loving Marker just sitting there in the cargo hold covered up by a tarp WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THIS GAME

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There is only one possible name for your Scavenger bot.

His name is Altman. Everytime he returns resources to you, you can say "ALTMAN BE PRAISED".

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Aren't there Markers everywhere because the Church has been furiously excavating\building as many as they possibly can? I'm not super clear on what the gently caress is happening right now but that was the impression I got when I played through DS3.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MA-Horus posted:

His name is Altman. Everytime he returns resources to you, you can say "ALTMAN BE PRAISED".

:aaaaa:

Neruz posted:

Aren't there Markers everywhere because the Church has been furiously excavating\building as many as they possibly can? I'm not super clear on what the gently caress is happening right now but that was the impression I got when I played through DS3.

Yes, pretty much. In Dead Space 2, we find out that one of the Marker's functions is to influence sufficiently advanced intelligent lifeforms to create more Markers to help hasten whatever the heck a convergence event is.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Blind Sally posted:

Yes, pretty much. In Dead Space 2, we find out that one of the Marker's functions is to influence sufficiently advanced intelligent lifeforms to create more Markers to help hasten whatever the heck a convergence event is.

The best thing, that is what it is and when this LP finally gets to that part and we learn wtf this entire story was all about I will challenge any of you fuckers to prove me wrong.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

MA-Horus posted:

Maybe Altman Junior or Lil Altman to avoid any confusion.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 8, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Okay so that jacket in the DLC is pretty amazing the rest is pretty bad. Thanks for the main game update!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Herr Tog posted:

Thanks for the main game update!

We were delayed because we made jokes about the second Co-Op mission in the video, so CJacobs was holding off to get that up before this one went up. However, there were complications that delayed the second Co-Op mission. Needless to say, there are still complications! D:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You really should watch The Fifth Element.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

We showed him the Ruby Rhod and Zorg ZF-1 demo clips and he said pretty much the same thing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mister Chief posted:

I rewatched it last weekend, myself! Don't play the game, though, it sucks! Phenwah's LP of it was pretty funny to watch, though: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647884

Also, the Zorg ZF-1 reminds me of some hybrid weapon monstrosity that you might make in Dead Space 3.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Blind Sally posted:

I rewatched it last weekend, myself! Don't play the game, though, it sucks! Phenwah's LP of it was pretty funny to watch, though: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647884

Also, the Zorg ZF-1 reminds me of some hybrid weapon monstrosity that you might make in Dead Space 3.

You mean like a sniper rifle/force sledgehammer combo? Some stupid combination like that?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

You mean like a sniper rifle/force sledgehammer combo? Some stupid combination like that?

I was going to ask CJacobs if any of the guns had a "replay" function, but I never got the chance to because I wasted my chance on that stupid chainsaw boot joke that imploded on me.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
If you're going to watch The Fifth Element, watch it on Blu-ray to see Ruby Rhod in glorious 1080p. Also because the Project Popart steelbook blu-ray of it has :krad: art.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man I really should watch The Fifth Element! Thanks thread!

nine-gear crow posted:

I was going to ask CJacobs if any of the guns had a "replay" function

To answer your question, yes there is one. Well, sorta.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 8, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Man, CJacobs sure leanred a lot about Canada last night.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Man I really should watch The Fifth Element! Thanks thread!

If only for the Diva scene.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

quote:

TRIVIA:
- Keeping true to the other miscellaneous ships scattered around the colony, the Crozier is named after yet another ill-fated expedition, this one after Francis Crozier, who survived 6 Antarctic expeditions (what a badass) but perished during the 7th.
Yeah, the two shuttles are named after Franklin and Crozier, the commanders of the two ships of the Franklin expedition that went missing some time in the 19th century. Their ships were the Erebus and Terror, the former of which (I think?) was only recently found out on the Arctic shelf.

Brusilov also rang a bell so I wikipedia'd him, and sure enough:

Wikipedia posted:

In 1912 Brusilov led a maritime expedition which aimed to explore and map a route from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific via a northeast passage, also called the Northern Sea Route. His expedition disappeared almost without a trace, and despite searches its ultimate fate was unknown until 2010.
And everybody obviously knows the reference behind Roanoke. The references to dead explorers and lost expeditions/colonies are getting to be a bit on the nose.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The Brusilov COULD also be named for General Aleksei Brusilov, who led the Brusilov offensive for the Russians in WW1

It was very successful against the Austro-Hungarian empire but the Russians lost like 1.5 million men in 3 months.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Neruz posted:

Nope, it's not a human planet, there are tons of Markers around because it's the triumphant end to the Dead Space trilogy and thus needs many many Markers... because.

The funny thing is that (kinda spoiler?) only one person in this entire game is going to have any Marker hallucinations, despite being in a location with about a 10000:1 Marker:human ratio. They're hilariously neutered compared to previous games.

EDIT: v Yes, good point, I had forgotten, although the way they show it that seems to be more literal than anything. It's essentially a virus that infects and replicates through other races, and yet they show a genetically viable population's worth of the things, as if it was literally the homeworld of a race of Marker-shaped people. Marker-shaped people with Marker cars, going to their Marker jobs at the Markermart.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 10, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's Markers everywhere because this is the ~*Marker homeworld*~.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

immolationsex posted:

Yeah, the two shuttles are named after Franklin and Crozier, the commanders of the two ships of the Franklin expedition that went missing some time in the 19th century. Their ships were the Erebus and Terror, the former of which (I think?) was only recently found out on the Arctic shelf.

Brusilov also rang a bell so I wikipedia'd him, and sure enough:
And everybody obviously knows the reference behind Roanoke. The references to dead explorers and lost expeditions/colonies are getting to be a bit on the nose.

MA-Horus posted:

The Brusilov COULD also be named for General Aleksei Brusilov, who led the Brusilov offensive for the Russians in WW1

It was very successful against the Austro-Hungarian empire but the Russians lost like 1.5 million men in 3 months.

The Brusilov was the military ordinance ship for the Sovereign Colonies fleet (it's the one that dropped all those fuckin crazy-rear end homing mines everywhere) so it actually could be either one of these. I'm gonna guess the Dead Space team actually got smart on this one and it's a reference to both.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

1stGear posted:

There's Markers everywhere because this is the ~*Marker homeworld*~.

Haha really? I missed that entirely.

I guess 'Marker Homeworld' would mean the homeworld of the beings that first created the Markers since presumably the first one had to be made before it could start influencing others to make more. Then again given what the Markers are for it's possible the creators really do consider the Markers to be like, actual living silicate beings that have minds and can do things on their own.

e: Maybe Tau Volentis is the origin point for the Yucatan asteroid that carried the Black Marker, then again maybe the Markers are just relays. gently caress I wish someone smart had written this story it would be so much more interesting.

e2: Oh wait hang on I just remembered why there are Markers everywhere and it has nothing to do with this being the 'Marker homeworld' because as we will learn there is no such thing.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 11, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think that's what disappoints me the most about Dead Space's setting. If it had been written by one of the great horror or sci-fi writers out there, it could've been loving incredible. Instead it started off pretty darn good and then quickly spiraled into mediocrity, which is a shame. What bothers me more than anything about this game and to an extent the Dead Space universe in general is that it's really easy to see that it could've been good, and then it just, like, wasn't.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah, I remember when I found out what all of this had been building up to and what the purpose behind the Markers and the Necromorphs is I had this moment of 'drat that is loving amazing' and then you get to the actual execution, finish the game and look back on it and it all comes undone at the seams.

Which is really sad, because the actual ideas and the reason why the game is called 'Dead Space' are excellent. They just had lovely writers transform the ideas into a story.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CJacobs posted:

I think that's what disappoints me the most about Dead Space's setting. If it had been written by one of the great horror or sci-fi writers out there, it could've been loving incredible. Instead it started off pretty darn good and then quickly spiraled into mediocrity, which is a shame. What bothers me more than anything about this game and to an extent the Dead Space universe in general is that it's really easy to see that it could've been good, and then it just, like, wasn't.

Disregarding my beef with planet busting as a business, I agree that it could have been really good if it had been fully thought-out. Unfortunately, to make time for almost yearly sequels, world-building was tossed aside for whatever random stuff the writers could slap together and try to pass off as a narrative.

'Course, they would still have to content with this game's crappy character and story ideas like Evil Liberace basically taking over the government or Issac and Elly's sudden relationship drama both happening offscreen.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Neruz posted:

Yeah, I remember when I found out what all of this had been building up to and what the purpose behind the Markers and the Necromorphs is I had this moment of 'drat that is loving amazing' and then you get to the actual execution, finish the game and look back on it and it all comes undone at the seams.

Which is really sad, because the actual ideas and the reason why the game is called 'Dead Space' are excellent. They just had lovely writers transform the ideas into a story.

I suspect there were good writers at the outset of this generating those good ideas- other writers, execs, middlemen, creatives, and/or the dreaded crunch worked to produce what is actually on display.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think Dead Space works much better now as fiction fodder. Fanfics, roleplays, etc. that can build on the world it created and go in creative places that the developers weren't able to.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Dead Space works much better now as fiction fodder. Fanfics, roleplays, etc. that can build on the world it created and go in creative places that the developers weren't able to.

Agreed. That's pretty much how I view all of the comic, novel, and movie spin-offs anyways.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah the basic setting idea has plenty of potential, the only thing that is lacking is execution. There's a good story here, we just need a good storyteller to tell it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's the kind of setting I'd probably run as a tabletop RPG. Only issue is actually making stats for literally the entirety of the canon stuff, which is maddening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Man With A Hat's old LP of the first one made it pretty clear that from the beginning the execution of the good idea was a clusterfuck. They had concurrent yet deviating storylines going in every different incarnation as more of a rule than an exception. The movie and the comic and the viral marketing stunt each had a different sequence of events and the details never bothered to match up. Dead Space is going to be the kind of intriguing concept that's much better as a memory than it ever was as an experience. If you can turn off your long-term memory and just enjoy the setting moment to moment, it's pretty good.

The game does tie up the loose end of why mankind hasn't found any more fertile planets pretty well.

• Locked thread