Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Having met some of my dad's friends from back when he worked as an electrical engineer in the mining industry I could totally buy a secret cult of Engineers; they're basically modern Wizards anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

One thing you've gotta say about the Unitologists: they understand branding. I wouldn't be surprised if there were Altman action figures or marker T-shirts in the vein of evangelical Christian merch.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So what did the Unitologists say about the police brutality being executed on their messiah?

Altman be tazed!

I'm so ashamed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Back in the days of Dead Space: Martyr, the real Altman probably saw all of DredgerCorp's dickery coming just because he knew what the Marker did to the general populations' minds' and what it was truly capable of once it had infected them with its signal and taken control. In my opinion Dead Space: Martyr presents an interesting point of view because you don't really get to see the Marker sickness from the outside. In 2, it affects Isaac, sure, but Stross was already crazy before he started seeing stuff. So in the games we don't really ever see what happens aside from I guess hallucinations.

The book really does portray him as a smart guy. The first time he sees the Marker he's like "yup that thing is 100% totally evil" and his original idea was not to study it to harvest the energy it projected, at all. He just wanted to find out what the Marker was truly capable of and where it came from, if it was even possible to know that. In the early chapters of the book he spends almost as much time pondering where the thing came from as he does what it actually is, and the realization that it fucks with people comes a bit too late and as we now know, ends with DredgerCorp making him a Dead Space: Martyr.

But again, he probably could tell. The book makes no bones about the fact that Altman sees it happen firsthand. People stabbing themselves in the eyes with needles, falling asleep and waking up with tiny fully constructed Markers in their bunks, et cetera. One of his buddies kills himself right in front of Altman and immediately Altman's like "well that totally was the Marker's doing". It was interesting to read about how he almost played both sides of the field, fully aware of DredgerCorp's oncoming betrayal but at the same time numb to it because of his fascination with the Marker and its effect on his co-workers. When he does eventually start fighting necromorphs, those thoughts get pushed to the back of his mind to the point where he starts being affected by its influence himself near the end (though not bad enough to blast his head off with a plasma cutter of course).

And at the end when he does finally get captured, betrayed, and set up, those thoughts come back to the forefront and Altman feels like a fool for dedicating so much of his life and time to such an obviously 100% totally evil alien artifact. Nevertheless though, Altman's suspicions were confirmed and a Dead Space: Martyr he soon became, but do not let it be said that he didn't see it coming and also don't let it be said that he wasn't a smart dude with a knack for utilizing plasma tools as weapons (like Isaac!).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
so basically what i'm saying is, when dredgercorp went to betray the poor guy in dead space: martyr, Altman be unfazed

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Wow CJacobs, just wow.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

CJacobs posted:

so basically what i'm saying is, when dredgercorp went to betray the poor guy in dead space: martyr, Altman be unfazed

The man's got a good head on his shoulders, Altman ain't crazed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They say that Isaac is the genetic reincarnation of Michael Altman, so if that's the case they've got Altman in spades.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I should read that book. Tried watching the first movie, Downfall, and the bit where they see a literal slasher in the floor for the first time goes like this:

"Hm a body, let's tell the captain". Literally no one notices that hey, maybe those bladed arms coming out of the body's back are kinda weird??? It is a weird movie to be honest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The movies are really hilaribad. I love them, but I love them because they're so slipshod. There's a point in Dead Space: Aftermath where in a hallucination Stross is attacked by basically Unown from Pokemon

and it's like, come on. Come on.

I do suggest you read the novels/graphic novels though, they're all pretty good. Dead Space: Martyr operates under the fact that it's a foregone conclusion which I really like about it. You already know Altman got killed by Unitologists and became a Dead Space: Martyr, the story assumes you've played the game; it's just telling you how it all happened.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Neruz posted:

Having met some of my dad's friends from back when he worked as an electrical engineer in the mining industry I could totally buy a secret cult of Engineers; they're basically modern Wizards anyway.

You should play Wolfenstein: TNO.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I saw Dead Space: Downfall, and I wasn't that impressed. One of the odd things about it is, because of production times and whatnot, everything in that movie is based off of third- and fourth-pass concept art, so if you've played the first game nothing looks right. It's little stuff, like the bridge of the Ishimura being on one level while in the game it's spread out over two, or they use the plasma cutters as lightsabers rather than them shooting out a line of force. As for lining up the events of the movie with the gamehahahahaha that's so funny.

Still, it is "worth" seeing for the clearest example of how to gently caress up a Ripley-from-Aliens type of protagonist. Ol' Security Chief Alyssa Vincent was apparently supposed to be a hardass, but she quickly pushed past that and delved into the territory of "how does this person still have a job." Seriously, ten minutes in, and she's all but challenging Helmsman Tek Jansen to a knife fight in front of the entire bridge crew.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Retitle the thread to Altman Let's Plays

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Neophyte posted:

Retitle the thread to Altman Let's Praise

I couldn't help myself :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe in the propaganda Unitologist history, their shots didn't really hit him.

Altman was grazed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I think we should mostly be thankful for that voiceless presence in the stream that watched over crow and CJacobs. Judging them. Guiding them. Observing them: Cheron.

Cheron be praised.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you Cheron, you will always be in our thoughts and prayers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cheron is the bodiless spirit of Altman.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Cheron is Altman's gamertag.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My life needs some more structure.

I discussed this with crow already, but I figure I'll post it here for posterity and so that people can yell at me if I don't adhere to it*: If I alternate Dead Space 2 and Dead Space 3 vids from hereon, the Dead Space 2 vids won't spoil anything we have not yet seen in Dead Space 3 (crow and I are idiots remember), so I am adopting a hesitant schedule of Dead Space 3 on Tuesdays, Dead Space 2 on Thursdays. So now you have that to look forward to/dread I suppose. Bonus videos will come out whenever.

*Do note that "hey where is my update!!" is against the subforum rules so please don't actually do this unless it's funny because some jerkhole will probably report you even though I'd rather they didn't.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

CJacobs posted:

*Do note that "hey where is my update!!" is against the subforum rules so please don't actually do this unless it's funny

Altman be delayzed?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hey where is my update!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not tuesday yet!!

Captain Bravo posted:

Altman be delayzed?

:thurman:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shouldn't DS2 be on Twosday and DS3 on Threesday?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hmmm, you do make a good point. I might do that instead. We'll see tomorrow! For now though here is a preview of an upcoming Dead Space 2 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=447yaU_4DF8

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Those who ask for the update will know what Altman's malaise feels like.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, I know I'm not too bothered by this delay.

Altman unfazed.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

*May contain undefined biomass

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 9, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lurking Haro posted:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Goddamn.

You can even abbreviate it to Altman's P-raised.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lurking Haro posted:

This is excellent for pot roast. Altman be braised.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
This is some prime 'Surprise motherfucker' style material right here. :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

It goes great with gravy. What kind of gravy?

"Altman's, beef flav'd."

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Fine aged 200 years.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Look for DredgerCorp's new unitology-based brand of coffee mix in the same stores, too, "Altman Au lait".

Lurking Haro posted:

straight to the OP with you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This is how the LP ends. Not with a whimper, but with repeated bangs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Half the people posting in this thread are Blind Sally throwaway accounts.

Alts, man, be praised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

Bruceski posted:

This is how the LP ends. Not with a whimper, but with repeated bangs.

because repetition helps hammer home a point?!

Bold man i am dazed

Kasrkin fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread