Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hooray, the thread is up! Altman be praised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tofu Survivor posted:

I could never really take Templeman seriously, though. He's like evil space Elton John.

His get-up is pretty fabulous.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This game spent too much time recapping what happened in the previous games, rather than establishing the new narrative. I couldn't tell you why.

Altman works in mysterious ways.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

Bad Dead Space Fanfiction Theater?

Do it. I'm in. Lazyfire did bad F3AR fan fiction and it was hilarious.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
In that I mean you could get the thread to help create the bad fan fiction.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Buried alive posted:

Videos with conditions are always a possibility. Limiting yourself to only one or two weapons, can only use 3 medkits, have to praise Altman every time you get hit, etc, etc. Trying to do things that lead to trainwreck videos may be a good/bad idea.

Pretty sure this is already a condition for the LP's main-run, may Altman be praised.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hahaha, what the crap. For anyone who read over this, it's a fan fiction of the Ben Templesmith/Anthony Johnson Dead Space comic which is great (the comic, not the fan fic).

Abraham "Bram" Neumann is the protagonist, and the fan fic appears to be written right after the comic ends, after the whole ground colony has been lost and Bram has watched all his friends and colleagues die horrible deaths. All the while, necromorphs bang on the doors outside the room he's in while he sends a transmission to Earth or where ever to stay away.

All the names thrown out are characters in the comic, including Carthusia, who is the mad Unitologist colony director who helps spread the necromorphs before being consumed himself. I believe he gets name-dropped in the film, Dead Space: Downfall, and in data log pick ups in Dead Space one.

Anyways, the comic is pretty sweet and has a digital reading available, so anyone can take a look.

Comic 1/6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD1paM_Vq9I

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Tough posted:

In popular imagination they "mysteriously disappeared"

Is it just popular imagination? As far as I've seen, no conclusive evidence has been produced to explain what happened to the colony.

Except for, what, the words "croatoan" and "cro" and a single skeleton? If there has been new evidence w/r/t the colony, please let me know. I would actually be really interested in knowing.

citybeatnik posted:

I'm not so sure if the Roanoke colony so much "mysteriously disappeared" as went "... you know what? gently caress this semi-serfdom bullshit, let's go join up with that tribe over there".

I dunno, man. If I'm gonna use my Titanic comparison, then this sounds to me like someone saying that the Titanic wasn't so much a "loving disaster" as "it was a technological marvel that was unfortunately lost to a combination of unfortunate events and human error".

Yes, true, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was a loving disaster, or that Roanoke mysteriously disappeared.

(But again, I haven't a chance to research and see if there's been a lot of new data unearthed on the ultimate fate of Roanoke).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

citybeatnik posted:

The large number of blue-eyed, blonde haired, and/or fair skinned natives that showed up in the neighboring tribes that spoke pretty good English is a pretty good sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony#Integration_with_local_tribes

I'm not saying that the writers of the game didn't pick that name for the "welp whoops something strange happened here everyone up and disappeared" reason, mind.

Oh, that's cool. I wasn't aware of that book and research. Thanks.

Also, I want to correct something in the latest video: there is no Mass Effect armour in Dead Space 1. It's the XBOX360 armour I was using: http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_Hazard_Engineer_RIG:_Elite_Class

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Wait, drat, if the Roanoke colony was assimilated by local First Nation groups, does that mean that this comparison was even more intentional? Like, the people on the ship were assimilated by the necromorphs? Is EA comparing First Nations to necromorphs?!?! :stonk:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Altman be praised.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

tlarn posted:

nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

Altman guideth this poster, praise be upon them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dash Rendar is known by many names. Michael Altman is one of them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The markers are scattered remnants of The Outrider.

All will be made clear when I publish my Chronicles Of Riddick/Dead Space crossover fanfic.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BMS posted:

Fix'd.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chiasaur11 posted:

Um, I know this is going to sound... odd, but what is Vectron, exactly?

Ask nine-gear crow. I'm pretty sure if was he who found the ancient scrolls.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

LashLightning posted:

According to a quick search on Wikipedia, the most ominous thing to happen to a ship name Roanoke was when it was renamed partway through construction ("Lorain", perhaps someone could make a cutting joke about Ohio) and accidently hit a left-over WWII mine in 1950.

Basically, you can do worse things than name your spaceship "Roanoke". Like, you could name it "Lorain".

Hahahaha, well yeah, you could name your space-ship "About To Die Hideously In An Interstellar Explosion". In case it wasn't clear in the video, we weren't making fun of the devs for naming it the Roanoke. There is clearly a thematic connection being made.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Wake up in the morning feeling like M. Altman
Grab my rig, I'm out the door, I'll stomp this non-human
Before I leave, brush my boots with a gallon of blood
'Cause what I'm killin' tonight, is a straight rip of The Flood

-from "Collected Sayings Of Michael Altman" by the Space-President Ke$ha

Part 1

The man sighed and held up the object to the light. The gunmetal scrap of ship-siding glimmered dully. On it was stamped "YT-2400", a string of numbers and letters which were significant only to him. There was a hiss as the door hydraulics slid open to reveal the hired gun. He was a large, broad-shouldered man, armed with two large, curved blades. It was a small miracle he managed to survive this age of plasma cutters and guns, considering he rarely armed himself with much else. An odd pair of goggles were worn across his bald head. His eyes glimmered oddly in the dim light.

"Hello, my name is Clarke. Isaac Clarke," the man said, setting aside the ship-siding as he rose, "you must be--"

"Richard B. Riddick," he replied, in Demi Moore-esque dulcet tones, "I hear you're hunting Necros."

"Well, uh, yes, yes I am," Clarke replied, "they took something from me. It was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away--"

"Save the sob story," Riddick said, "I don't need a reason to hunt Necros, but the money's good."

"Excellent, that's good," Isaac stepped forward and held out his hand, "it's a pleasure to be working with you."

Riddick glanced down at the proffered hand, then back at Isaac. He moved, not to shake the hand, but to lower the goggles over his eyes. The awkward silence mounted. Isaac's hand quivered. Space-crickets began to chirp in the background, and he lowered his hand.

"Uh, right, you said you had a ship?"

"It's not mine," Riddick replied, "I'm just the muscle. If you're paying me, you'll be paying my ride. I don't assume that will be a problem."

"No, not if your pilot can get me where I need to go."

"Good. We're on Docking Bay Gamma. Look for the Bassline. You can't miss it."

With that, Riddick took his leave. Isaac watched him go, then took out the scrap of ship-siding again. He didn't know why, but he had to know. Whatever it was the Marker was telling him--where ever it was his genetic memories were urging him--he had to know.

- - - - -

I'm talking stompin' heads with our boots, boots
Flexin' our sexy space glutes, glutes
Necros blowin' up when we shoots, shoots
Drop'em down with our favourite Plasma Cutter
Turnin'em into zombie butter
No, I don't think ya heard me stutter

-from "Collected Sayings Of Michael Altman" by the Space-President Ke$ha

Part 2

The two men entered Docking Bay Gamma, which was empty for a large box-like space ship. The shape struck Isaac as odd, yet familiar. He read the ship's name printed across its bow, Bassline, and it clicked.

"That's a giant amplifier," Isaac said, waving his arm lamely in its direction.

"Bass amplifier, specifically," Riddick replied, and he stalked towards the ship.

A ramp lowered and a man came out to greet them. Riddick's partner, apparently.

"Hello, then, I'm Dizzee Rascal," the man spoke quickly in an English accent Isaac struggled to keep up with. He explained that getting free of Earth's atmosphere was going to be difficult. EarthGov, under the control of Space-President Ke$ha, had set up a trade blockade to prevent the separatist MoonGov from trading with Earth or any of the other Solar System's colonies.

"EarthGov goons have the whole planet surrounded with fire ships," Dizzee continued, "but they're terrible shots and have strict orders not to break formation. As long as our shields can hold, we should be fine."

"If you say so," said Riddick.

At that moment, a dozen EarthGov soldiers game running into the hangar, armed with heavy weapons. They pointed at the group and raised their arms.

"Hold it!" shouted their leader, Buff MacTuff (Original Character, Do Not Steal!!), "you are under arrest!"

"Wait, we haven't even done anything yet!" Isaac shouted back.

"Dizzee Rascal, you have 10,117 unpaid space parking tickets--"

"Sir," his Second-In-Command was attempting to get his attention.

"--in response to your repeated and flagrant violations of EarthGov traffic laws--"

"Sir, please!"

"--you are required to--"

"Sir, if I may!"

"--what is it, Officer?"

"Those men with Dizzee Rascal."

"What about them?"

"That's wanted criminal, Richard B. Riddick. He's wanted on every planet in the galaxy."

"Oh?"

"And beside him, that's Isaac Clarke. He's the man the Doctor asked us to find."

"Really, now? In that case, in the name of EarthGov, I require all of you to stand down!"

Riddick stepped forward with a ceramic tea cup and set it on a nearby crate.

"I think you and your men ought to be going before you get hurt," he said.

"Or what?" said Buff MacTuff, "are you going to hurt with a soup cup?"

"Tea cup, actually," replied Riddick, who picked up and flung the cup with lightning reflexes.

The tea cup arced through the air, spinning at an incredibly velocity. The EarthGov officers fired wildly, but it was all in vain. The cup swooped amongst them, severing limbs left and right. Heads, arms, and legs fell to the floor in a bloody mess until the tea cup, satiated with blood, returned to Riddick. All that was left standing was Officer Buff MacTuff, shocked and defenseless, his firearm sliced to tiny pieces.

"Yeah! Yeah, that's it!" shouted Dizzee, "come on, Isaac, let's get you in the air so we can get paid."

The three men entered the ship. Officer MacTuff watched the ramp close and the engines power on. He stood watching until the Bassline had left the docking bay and was making its way for the upper atmosphere, then grabbed his radio.

"This is Officer MacTuff, over," he said, "we have a situation, I repeat, we have a situation. Alert the EarthGov fleet in orbit, over. Oh, and tell Doctor Serrano we have a problem. Over."

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 6, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Crane Fist posted:

Man that fanfiction isn't even bad or unpleasant, it's just dull

It is my first time, and this is probably the highest compliment that could possible have been given :unsmith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
JamieTheD, I want your parts to be filtered through the retro mode lens. I feel it would be fitting considering the FPS :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Not all my ideas are terrible :catbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

Just a heads up, people have been putting fraudulent copyright claims on my videos, so some of them may go private for a little while while I sort it all out. It hasn't happened to any of the uncut videos so far, just the cut ones, so I'm sorry if you've been watching those. As soon as the claims are resolved I will have them back up. This has happened before with different false flaggers and it worked out mostly well then, so hopefully it goes well this time too.

I don't know if it's reassuring or insulting that no one wants to flag the videos that contain the greater number of bad jokes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I picked up Dead Space 2 and Extraction because of this LP. So far, DS2 is a lot of fun. The kinesis is pretty rad. I stuck a necromorph to a wall with a metal pole, then used another metal pole to spin it around in place like some sort of clock.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

In honour of the rambling discussion in the latest update, and because I'm not in that one, here, have this Black Marker.

I have the strangest urge to build a replica in the colour red :unsmigghh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, I think part of the reason it's still nuts is that Dead Space Earth is consuming so much resources that planet cracking is only barely keeping up with supply and demand. There's still too many people wanting too much stuff, so more and more planet cracking needs to occur.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Markers project a "dead space" which keeps Necromorphs from approaching too near them. Is that what you meant? As far as I can tell, there's supposed to be, like, dozens of Red Markers across the galaxy, made by humans as well as other alien species. The Red Marker in Dead Space 1, the Dead Space comic, Dead Space Extraction and Dead Space Downfall, are all the same Red Marker. Dead Space 2 gets the Gold Marker. Though this one projects a worse "dead space", probably because it is a cheaper lab-made knock off.

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 21, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Haerc posted:

Is the end Isaac waking up at the bottom of a well and realising it was all just a dream, the last 30 minutes of gameplay is just Isaac feebly trying to climb out via QTE?

Whoa, now, please edit out those spoilers for those of us who haven't seen the ending yet.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JamieTheD posted:

I'm not feeling too charitable towards Dead Space 3 around now, and I'm pretty sure (for equally valid reasons) CJacobs isn't either.

I am. Let's all make fun stuff for this thread :unsmith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

I've never thought about it that way before but that actually is a pretty good explanation. I'd always assumed they just didn't expect the player to bother thinking too hard about it or something.

In the beginning of Dead Space 2, one of the more repentant crazies who worked for Tiedmann gives Isaac a med pack because his "rig is red."

It's right after Isaac escapes the first cutscene, so I dunno if he's supposed to be healthy or drugged or injured from torture or whatever, but the rigs do seem to act as a kind of warning for other people. They also change colours and some people have rigs that are a lot smaller than others...

Maybe rigs are a measure of medigel but colour is more a generic warning about overall health?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Isn't it bluish-white from 100-75%?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Next time on Pimp My Rig: installing custom LEDs, with your host, Isaac Clarke.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Bravo posted:

Seriously, guys, just look at it. His Rig is at one bar, and blinking red. When he uses a small healthpack, it goes up to like 33%, and turns yellow. When he uses a health pack at 16:50, and bumps back up to like, 75% health, it turns turquoise again.

Yeah, that's the part I mentioned earlier! It throws me off, though, because Rig usage isn't consistent across mediums. I just reread some of the comics and watched the movies and they aren't colour-coded. :/

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

Safe Space 3 is sponsored by TORQTM Tungsten Bars.
TORQTM - When it's your turn to step up, turn to TORQTM!

TORQ is my brand.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwPnpLQ5sjg

welcome to the real let's play, project diva f space 3

It's beautiful.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

Blind Sally your new avatar has brought a little more light back to my life, thank you

The light of the Holy Trinity (Altman - Clarke - Rendar) guides us all.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Man, that Co-Op episode was awesome!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

- Also I dunno if you saw it but there was a loving Marker just sitting there in the cargo hold covered up by a tarp WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THIS GAME

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MA-Horus posted:

There is only one possible name for your Scavenger bot.

His name is Altman. Everytime he returns resources to you, you can say "ALTMAN BE PRAISED".

:aaaaa:

Neruz posted:

Aren't there Markers everywhere because the Church has been furiously excavating\building as many as they possibly can? I'm not super clear on what the gently caress is happening right now but that was the impression I got when I played through DS3.

Yes, pretty much. In Dead Space 2, we find out that one of the Marker's functions is to influence sufficiently advanced intelligent lifeforms to create more Markers to help hasten whatever the heck a convergence event is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Herr Tog posted:

Thanks for the main game update!

We were delayed because we made jokes about the second Co-Op mission in the video, so CJacobs was holding off to get that up before this one went up. However, there were complications that delayed the second Co-Op mission. Needless to say, there are still complications! D:

• Locked thread