Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Neruz posted:

Drakengard... three?

Oh my god I didn't even know they made a third one and its done by the original team :allears:

Now if only TDI does an LP of it :pray:

Yeah! It was released last year if I remember correctly. Been debating picking that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

tlarn posted:

I find it terrifying that there are still people who haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China.

Also:

When I look at this photograph. It makes me laugh.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Thank you so much for this. I'll die a happy? person!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

Proof that Dead Space and Big Trouble In Little China exist in the same universe:

The lore is undeniable!!!

This explains everything! It really strayed from it's original vision though.

Serious note how many writers did like all the dead space stuff go through? Every time there's a new dead space game it seems like it's a new writer with a new take on the universe. Explains why there's the consistencies or lack there of between the games.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Atomikus posted:

Taurus Judge is an actual revolver shotgun, even if it uses the tiniest shotgun shell and looks really off.

I've used it and it's a really good gun actually! It was surprisingly effective, but like if you thought shotguns had a short range (Which is REALLY exaggerated in videogames) this actually does have a short range if you use the buck shot. I feel like the judge is kind of for the really short range shot to gently caress someone's day up. Otherwise there's other pistols and shotguns which are way better.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Like at point blank range (a few feet), it'll gently caress up your day about as well as having someone with a Walther PPK or other little .32 or .380 pistol plug you with a magazine's worth of bullets. But that's about the maximum of its effectiveness. Shotguns tend to get their killing power exaggerated by media.

Yeah for sure, it's more of a fun gun than a practical gun. Like when my brother let me use it at the range it felt really powerful, but man at any range it was pathetic as hell. Sometimes it's about the fun and design of a gun than practicality.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

*May contain undefined biomass

I could eat Altman's beef for days!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Bear pun!!

There is my pun for the thread. I hope you like it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You know... That baby scene... They really know how to make a visceral experience.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Dead Space 2 was really well written. I still contest though that the writing kinda jumped sharply from what the markers are from 1 to 2 but that could just be my interpretation of it's use in 1.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Not going to lie... Haven't watched the rest of the video. Only the plot on what convergence is.

So the moon is basically Unicron from transformers? Like I'm not even sure all the logistics to this, but convergence seems to make living planets?

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 16, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Cryohazard posted:

It's probably going to end up like a jumbo Legion from Castlevania with laser beam tentacles and everything.

Pretty much what I was thinking too. Like it's totally Legion.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

CJacobs I can't believe how racist you're being. "These Necromorphs deserve what's happening to them." Don't you feel for them? They're living creatures! I can't even believe what I'm hearing.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Coffeehitler posted:

#necromorphlivesmatter

chitoryu12 posted:

#spikesupdon'tdismember

These make me happy on so many different levels.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So glad to be apart of this you have no idea!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Geostomp posted:

True, but I still like this idea better. The Reaper's retconned purpose is pretty incoherent. If it had been their form of breeding like with the Brother Moons in this game or an arrogant way of elevating "lesser" beings to their level, it'd have been much easier to swallow than "we kill you with synthetics to stop synthetics from killing you at some hypothetical point".

It's at this point I can't believe Visceral has better loving writers than Bioware. Though to be fair Bioware has kinda always been poo poo at writing.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You have no idea how happy it made me that you finished the final boss with the "CONTACT BEAM!!!!" yell.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

tlarn posted:

Please tell me he's posing like Hol Horse summoning his stand, Emperor

e: he iiiis :allears:

What? Who? Am I missing something?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

That doesn't seem like a good gun to use especially with you finger on the revolver part of it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Generally when you give a bad end you give some sort of silver lining that sits well with the viewer/reader/player. So even if it's sad... People get some sense of closure. Closure is REALLY important at least in the Western Culture - That's probably why Japanese Horror doesn't do well here because there's almost no sense of closure.

Also might be bad storytelling here- but I kinda wanna know who made the markers and why but we'll never know!

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 23, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Neruz posted:

The Brethren Moons made the Markers as a means by which to reproduce and\or find new food sources. Upon landing on a planet the Markers start influencing local lifeforms to develop intelligence and eventually trigger Convergence and spawn a new Brethren Moon, alternately the Brethren Moons can use a Marker as a homing beacon to find more food.

Markers are basically Brethren Moon eggs.

The tentacles on the moons are pretty disappointing, normally I would be able to understand not having the time to do a proper 3d model for hundreds of tentacles waving about but these are the goddamn Brethren Moons, the Big Bads of the Dead Space universe. They are the last thing that should be half-assed :colbert:

I guess so, but like that raises some questions of all these brethren moon need the markers to converge. The moons don't seem like a "Natural process" to me which is why I'm a bit confused. Maybe my suspension of disbelief is in the wrong area here?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Neruz posted:

How the first Brethren Moon came to be is unknown; given that the Black Marker first arrived on earth over 65 million years ago odds are the Brethren Moons have been around at least that long and presumably a lot longer so they are probably the only beings who know where they came from and how they were created.

Personally I think the most likely answer is ages ago some idiots decided to make the perfect biological weapon that could reanimate the dead to fight for them and it got way out of control. If Dead Space 4 ever happens, which is pretty unlikely, we may find out.

Okay so it really is like the reapers in that sense. "Oh poo poo's going down we gotta make this living warship to stop things from going insane" or something.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Probably the most brilliant thing about it, one that I actually AM willing to give Visceral credit for, is that if you believe what Altman believes then humanity really was doomed from the start because of the Black Marker's influence being completely unavoidable. The Black Marker's influence is what urged humanity to create the Red Marker in the first place and it's a really intriguing little detail that I don't think the games ever say out loud anywhere; DS2 tells us that the Markers naturally cause living creatures to want to etch Marker scrawl everywhere and create new Markers in the original's image but what they don't explicitly say is that the whole reason the Red Marker exists is because of that urge.

Dead Space 1 portrays it as humanity's need for renewable energy causing them to tamper with a known, existing source of energy (the Black Marker) to create something that makes humans into necromorphs by accident (the Red Marker). But actually, when you think about it, with the knowledge about the Markers that you get from Dead Space 2- that the signal is unavoidable and leads to the urge to make more -humans might have just subconsciously created the Red Marker because of the signal instead of the outlying reason the game presents.

edit: And even further along in the timeline, when the Sovereign Colonies fleet seceded from EarthGov and sought out Tau Volantis, it may very well be because the Black Marker told them to go there so that they would unknowingly awaken the necromorph aliens on the planet and continue the cycle; which would eventually lead to either the destruction of the alien machine OR the creation of a totally new moon in its place.

Might show how much of an idiot I am but when I played Dead Space 1 and then played 2 it really felt like they had different visions of what the marker is supposed to be and showed how often the writing sorta switched hands between all the fictional pieces. So here is my dumb rear end way of thinking of what the Marker was or did in Dead Space 1.

So the whole thing with the necromorphs and all that DIDN'T HAPPEN until it was removed from it's place. I guess the way it was set up was that the Necromorphs were just a thing that were on that planet being like sorta the "Thing" virus or whatever. Once the market was removed from it's spot all hell broke lose - not because the marker was evil. Everything sorta played out that the marker was a thing for good in just Dead Space 1 if you are looking for that game. (Keep in mind this was my interpretation of the whole events) the Marker of-course being sentient in a way. People were driven mad because it was reaching out to be put back because well once it is rested in its spot the Necromorph stuff just stops. Completely and totally and it thanks you for making it whole again. Thus finishing it's mission that it was originally designed to do. Once what's her face removed the marker for a second time poo poo went down because it wasn't there to stop that big bad Necromorph from coming back alive and such. So throughout the first game it really felt like the marker was a thing of piece and was trying to stop the necromorphs from spreading. Maybe that was the original intent of the writing - but it's also why I felt like from 1 -> 2 the writing went all sorts of bonkers and like they just sorta ignored what they did in 1 to begin with. Now the markers are evil and they created the necromorphs instead of trying to stop the spread. Maybe because these were natural Markers over the man made one? Or maybe like all sentient things some may be good and some may be bad. Wasn't too sure as it kinda felt a bit forced in some ways which is hard for me to explain why I got that feeling.

Dead Space is an interesting series because of how much everything feels like it changes in terms of writing. Obviously not for the better in some cases.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

So, really it hasn't changed all THAT much, it's just evolved to have higher and higher stakes. In their attempts to explain the previous definitions of what Markers are and what they do, Visceral kind of muddied up the prior games in the series and their lore which kind of sucks. I don't even want to get into the books/graphic novels because they have a whole other nightmare going on with Markers and such.

Guess so, I mean this might be "But mah headcanon!" stuff, but I sorta liked the idea that the marker in DS1 was this benevolent entity. It just meant so much more when playing through that game. So my feelings about the story in 1->2 were right though in some way. It's just they really had no idea what they really wanted to do and didn't expect much after the first Dead Space and sorta went into panic mode and wrote something that sorta made sense in the context of 1.

That being said it's weird how Dead Space did what Mass Effect was trying to do but better somehow. (Probably because Bioware is overhyped for trashy writing)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Covok posted:

I wonder how the Brethen Moons, as they do have sentience, view their prey. I mean, they clearly view prey as lesser, but how do they, overall, view their quarry. Do they even have thoughts like that at all? Like, do they just pretend to understand human thought just for the sake of interaction?

Well here's a really messed up way to look at it. They need beings of a certain level of intellect because probably that's how a brethren moon can be smart or something right? We could see the convergent effect as a form of reproduction. So they probably look at us as both food and a way of reproduction.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You know at the very least the DLC ending might be something that might not have happened or whatever. Either way the game still could have in theory room for a sequel hidden in there.

I'm still surprised that Mass Effect is getting a 4th installment. I mean hell 50% of the endings are "Reapers are our buddies now" the big bad is defeated and turned to our side. How the hell are you going to top that poo poo? Don't think the Leviathans are able of putting up a force to invade even if they wanted to.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

My vote will always be David Bowie if there's a choice. Also How Soon is Now is really awesome too.

Zain fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 24, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

Romance subplot? Now the main plot. ME4 will be a Reaper dating game.

It'll turn into Valkyria Chronicles 2-3 then? Just a Romance and High School sim game. It makes sense now.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Geostomp posted:

Basically, you're part of an exploration crew in a new galaxy that launched at some unknown point before the Reaper invasion. That way you can have new space adventures without ever having to acknowledge the stupidity that was ME3's writing.

So you're pretty much doing a whole lot of nothing more or less. Also they're out of the Milky Way Galaxy? I thought that wasn't supposed to be possible. The Reapers could only go so far as the dark space slightly beyond the Milky Way. But the writing they did with that was terrible. Like at the end of ME2 they said that the reapers would take 50 years to get there with all the jump drives no longer working for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Geostomp posted:

ME3 had a lot of bad writing to justify its war premise. The Reapers plopping onto everyone out of nowhere with all your work to slow or weaken them amounting to nothing was a big part of it. I have a lot of issues with that game.

As for how and why there is a crew and colonies in Andromeda, Bioware has yet to explain. Though any reason to ignore ME3 is a good one to me.

With all those DIFFERENT *tinted* endings. Yeah Bioware has really been losing favor with me a lot recently starting with Dragon Age 2 and beyond. Their writing has really gone to poo poo or mayhaps it always was?

• Locked thread