Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I can't believe the new Halo lets you aim down sights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Okay this game keeps making me laugh, I was trying hard not to wake folks up when they were doing the Star Trek bridge-is-getting-hosed thing.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Delta Green posted:

I'll agree to that. I liked Ellie a lot more in DS2.

This filthy Heresy has to stop. I don't know if I should go full Catholic or full Imperial Creed to oppose it.

… gently caress it, I'll do both.

For God and the Immortal Emperor of Mankind, I shall see this Heresy most foul and Treason against Humanity stamped out.

nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Isaac huffed one too many markers.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
If you're going to watch The Fifth Element, watch it on Blu-ray to see Ruby Rhod in glorious 1080p. Also because the Project Popart steelbook blu-ray of it has :krad: art.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Yo, realtalk, I love the poo poo out of the Riddick movies, especially when they basically turned into comic-book superhero movies. I even like the latest one, at least the first half where it's The Adventures of Riddick And His Pet Spacedog, but I still enjoyed when it looped back into being Pitch Black in the second half.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

CJacobs posted:

I need more places to post this. Someone give me more places to post my dumb anime bullshit. I need to show the world.

Do it to the new Jojo OP and post it in the Jojo anime thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo4tkuShNrw

edit: bonus points if it's a death reel

tlarn fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 28, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Good thing Isaac grew up in Space-America where guns are modular. :freep:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Physics engines are the best thing about modern video games and I hope they are never fixed. In fact, I hope they get buggier.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
The Thing videogame on the PS2 was a neat idea; it was a third-person shooter where you could had a squad of dudes and they had varying levels of fear which is affected by how dark the area they're in is, how much it's being lit, whether they have a weapon or not, and stuff like that. They're too scared, they'll either kill themselves, attack everyone around them, attack the environment around them, or just keel over from a heart attack. They also had a trust mechanic where they might not follow your orders if they think you're a Thing, or just straight up attack you if they're convinced you're a Thing. But if they trust you completely, they'll even help you kill fellow NPCs if you friendly-fire them too much.

It was a neat idea, but I only rented it once way back in the day. Wish I could've played it more, I liked the idea.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Spudd posted:

I'm surprised you can watch The Thing so many times, the first time I saw The Thing I couldn't sleep for 3 nights straight and needed my light on to be all night. I'm still afraid to rewatch it see what it's like decade after being scared shitless by it.

I've watched it tons of times as well, but I've only seen That Scene In The Dog Kennel like maybe three times completely through, I usually skip it. :smith:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Neruz posted:

If there's necromorph flesh on your suit's catheter something has gone horribly wrong.

Please don't kinkshame. :colbert:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Physics engines are the reason modern games are wonderful.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
It's the age-old huge-budget-huger-return mentality; it's a bad ideation that caused several companies to lose a ton of money chasing those Call of Duty numbers and that AAA market's going to crash mighty soon I think. It's why most of the games I've been playing and enjoying these days are either indie stuff or Nintendo stuff.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
The best Silent Protagonist is Link of Legend of Zelda because he gets talked into doing everything because he can't say the word "no."

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Blind Sally posted:

Silent protagonists sometimes work. In Killzone 2 & 3, Sev doesn't speak because no one asks him relevant questions. They order him around and the assumption is that he follows those orders and shoots this or blows up that. He speaks in cutscenes, so personality gets developed that doesn't contradict gameplay (which is the need to kill to complete orders and not die).

I also liked the way they handled Jak talking in the Jak & Daxter series.

I liked that it's outright a gag at several points where he tries to talk and is immediately interrupted.

There's also a special ending in Chrono Trigger where Crono talks, I remember liking that.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Go Necro, go Necro GO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFLGRidfFo4

Also I love when writers decide to shoehorn in jealousy and macho-tantrums in the worst situations. "We're far from civilization on a planet cold enough to freeze us in seconds surrounded by changelings that can endlessly regenerate themselves, thus defying basic physics, but you better not look at my woman. :catstare:"

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
I keep forgetting to mention it, but another game that lets you slap guns onto other guns was Serious Sam Double D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHPSOAN6mDo

Double D also has one of my most favoritest trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAvyj-3PNIE

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
All sci-fi shows are baby shows compared to Lexx. It had Tim Curry for one of the first-season episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY5hWg8h7fs

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Captain Bravo posted:

I used to absolutely love Andromeda, it had such fantastic, grounded technobabble. Then I found out that Kevin Sorbo is apparently a lovely excuse for a human being, and it kind of retroactively ruined the series for me. :smith:

Same but with Firefly and Adam Baldwin. :smith::hf::smith:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

This is reminding me of Legend of Zelda: The Light of Courage so hard and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_CtKEjoMfI

tlarn fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 27, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
I find it terrifying that there are still people who haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China.

Also:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Big Trouble in Little China is a perfect movie and folks who haven't seen it yet should go watch it now. James Hong goes full ham in it, it's beautiful.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

CJacobs posted:

so basically what i'm saying is, when dredgercorp went to betray the poor guy in dead space: martyr, Altman be unfazed

The man's got a good head on his shoulders, Altman ain't crazed.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Those who ask for the update will know what Altman's malaise feels like.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
You don't use Stasis on the children because that would be cruel. :colbert:

Also, right when that gunship comes in and starts tearing the room up, I had way too good of a laugh at the look on the dude's face as he was grabbing onto Isaac still, even after Daina and his buddy got gunned the gently caress down. He's trying to hold on to him, and you can see in a singular moment him realizing just how hosed he is. The room has been vented of atmosphere, there's a ship with gatling guns just outside the window and already with a good bead on you, and the one person you're holding onto? He has an EVA-capable suit. You have clothes.

The exact moment the realization hits him.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Illuyankas posted:

Reminds me of that time I tried to follow a dessert recipe based on an Ayn Rand character but needed another layer of egg white to make it taste right, so I had my Galt flan re-glazed.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
:ssh: Pregnants can and will cut their own abdomen open to unleash their payload if you hurt them enough without stopping them from doing so; that's what happened in that scenario, used its blade arms to cut its stomach open!

I can see and understand why the mine launcher's not a great gun in Dead Space, it's not the right sort of gun for the kind of game Dead Space is. It would be amazing in the early Bioshocks, where you have time to set up traps and enemies aren't several times faster than you. Dead Space is a survival horror, and you need guns that can put out a lot of hurt in a short amount of time on demand, and it has the whole dismemberment mechanic going for it.

And Ellie actually looks like a regular person instead of a videogame woman, wow.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
If you close the tab after seeing the title before the video plays, it doesn't count.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
My sister took me to a teahouse she and her friends frequent once, I was paralyzed by how many choices they had for tea. I only know of five off the top of my head and was :psyduck: at all the choices.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

biosterous posted:

This weekend I watched both The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China, mostly because of this thread.

It was a good decision. Thanks folks :)

It's all in the reflexes. :smug:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
I can appreciate some Kenny G, but bigband jazz has always been more my speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRxkTaQ19M

A particular favorite of mine. :3:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
I'm surprised neither of you went for this one.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
The horror of a militarized police force with little to no effective oversight which dehumanizes the people they are sworn to protect.

haha nah, it's actually about AAA games having bloated budgets that don't see a return without a massive following.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Science Fiction 101, if something has a passcode or verbal lockout, there is a hard override.

Also love how Isaac just Iron-Mans his way across the station. Also how CJacobs no-sold that mid-air decapitation earlier.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Santos's meltdown reeked of an amateur theatre actor having their first big scene and trying their best not to screw it up only to overdo it.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
The fun part of figuring out stasis is that objects under stasis move more slowly and yet still maintain the energy and momentum they had at the point they entered stasis. :iiam:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Captain Bravo posted:

Goddamn, Blind Sally, you are just falling for the conspiracy hook, line, and sinker. Everyone knows that Stasis Modules can't affect Norntons. Plus that cliff collapse was obviously a controlled demoliton, and the giant enemy crab was pretty blatently a hologram. loving sheeple.

A follower of Altron Hubbard, I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Get the Surgeon Simulator devs to make a Dead Space spinoff where the whole game is using the Stasis module.

• Locked thread