Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

10 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine
It's a sitcom with good character work where Andy Samberg is funny but doesn't overpower everything by Andy Samberging. Having a really broad performer like that and keeping him in line is not nothing, especially when you've got a strong ensemble with standouts like Andre Braugher and Melissa Fumero. I'm just hoping we get to see more of Holt's home life.

09 - The Knick
What I like about the Knick is that it's an unsympathetic look at the scientific and medical establishment as it was a century ago. While a lot of people parse this as just another male anti-hero drama, I love how it's willing to go grotesque by, for instance, subjecting Eleanor to real turn-of-the-century psychiatric treatments.

08 - Veep
It's not The Thick of It and it's never going to be, but Selina's run for the presidency tells us why that might be a GOOD thing: without threats of parliamentary shuffles, special inquiries, or a bugbear like Malcolm Tucker, Veep can make a lot of comic meat out of a tragicomic storyline that thrives on momentum rather than stasis.

07 - Silicon Valley
Oh my god. Oh my god. How is this not self-evident? The show might have stumbled a bit, but it's a sitcom that combines topicality with a great grasp of character. To be honest, it only drives home how outdated Sorkin is when you compare this with The Social Network.

06 - The Comeback
Bitch, are you for real? The alpha bitch of meta mockumentary sitcoms comes back for a victory lap, more relevant and funnier than ever, and you need a rationale? Michael Patrick King is doing something that isn't disgusting garbage for the first time in like nine years.

05- Last Week Tonight
Sure, it's not a spot on Newswipe or other, similar programming, but it's head-and-shoulders above the much more complacent political comedy of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

04 - Rick and Morty
It's like Doctor Who and Black Mirror mashed together except it's also a cartoon that makes me laugh. It never shies away from the ugly side of things and actually treats things with gravity when they need it.

03 - Fargo
Fargo is True Detective except it's not pretentious crap that uses allusions to Bierce and Chambers to cover the fundamental gap where its thematic center should be.

02 - Black Mirror
I wish it could be Christmas Everydaaaaaaay

01 - Hannibal
It's Hannibal. It's beautiful, grotesque, thematically deft, heart-wrenching, vaguely homo-erotic... it's everything that cable wants to be, and it's on network, and it's anchored by some of the best performances in the medium. It's a shame there's so little left.

Honorable Mentions go to Agents of SHIELD for Most Improved and Constantine for Most Disappointing.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Oh god the time skip in fargo is so good

What makes it work is the reveal that Gus is working as a postman. Well not that in particular, but more the fact that there wasn't anything too surprising after the time jump. It was more about following up on what had already been established, rather than some gimmicky attempt to upset the status quo.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Changed my votes around in light of this night's Black Mirror. I also might have a permanent, horrifying smile now. We'll see if it wears off.

• Locked thread