Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
You forgot White Collar. Thanks Rarity.

Also, is there an actual poll link, or do we just submit it here in this thread?

Edit: never mind I don't read. I'll post mine in a bit.

I'm beginning to realize how many great shows there were this year.

Least Favorite

10. Grimm: Trubel has been the greatest character this season. With Nick losing his powers, Trubel's taken up the grunt work and she is amazing. The actress does her own stunts, she's a complete badass. Unfortunately, with Nick getting his powers back, she's leaving, though I really hope she comes back

9. Star Wars: Rebels: Rebels brings back the old feeling of Star Wars, the feelings I felt back when I was a child and Phantom Menace had just released. It truly grasps the nature of Star Wars and brings it back to its roots. Though it is not as dark as the Clone Wars, it has, in a short span of time, brought far more character development and, as a whole, has been easier to get attached to the characters. I love the new lightsabers (both the Inquisitor's and Ezra's future lightsaber) and glad to see the trend continued in Abrams' Star Wars movie.

8. Supernatural: Sam and Dean have had amazing adventures this year, except earlier this year where they went to Chicago, but we'll skip that. From dealing with Fish Taco monsters to curing Dean of his demonhood (and never referencing the Deanmon again), it's been crazy and hilarious. The ultra meta episode where God finally appears again was brilliant and probably one of the funniest episodes in a long while. I want to see this show run into the ground at season 50.

7. High Moon: This is the funniest TV movie I've ever seen. It's produced by Bryan Fuller and it's essentially a perfect portrayal of what science fiction authors in the 50's believed that our future would be. Originally slated to be a tv series, Syfy, the dumbshits that they are, only aired the pilot and refused to buy any more episodes. The show doesn't take itself seriously at all, and because of that, produced the most hilarious and craziest pilot I've ever seen. There's a part where they show a giant green mechanical dinosaur on the goddamn moon. It's beautiful. And there are indian space ninjas, and gay russian androids. It's hilarious when you're sober, and you'll poo poo your pants if you're drunk.

6. Hannibal: Season 2. Everybody dies except Hannibal. So much blood, so much violence, so much hunger, and food galore. I love this show. It's literally perfect. There's not a single thing wrong with this show. Probably one of the best things on tv right now. Mads Mikkelson is the loving sexiest man I've ever seen, I'm not gay, but I would touch his penis if he asked me. I don't want to say anymore.

5. Psych: I am sad that this show is over. For 8 years, I have laughed and cried watching this show. The season was short but the writers got to do whatever they wanted with the show, and so we got some of the craziest stuff that Shawn and Gus have done. I think this season wrapped everything up perfectly, Lassie got what he wanted, but so did Juliet. Shawn and Gus got to be together and Shawn finally chose someone else over himself. That's the greatest character development he could honestly have and it came at a perfect time. And that final reference about Monk was wonderful. I hope USA releases a Monk/Psych episode just on its own one day, that would be one of the greatest tv moments.

4. Jane the Virgin: This was quite an underdog show, I don't think anyone expected this show to be so good. Gina Rodriguez plays a compelling young woman in emotion turmoil, due to an accidental artificial insemination. Jane becomes a pregnant virgin and is forced to navigate the resulting chaos imposed in her life, from a disapproving boyfriend, who originally suggests she abort the child, to a new father (and huge tv star) who "magically" appears and wishes to be part of her life. And of course, the frigging handsome biological father of the child who seems to be nearly perfect in every way, who is also attracted to Jane. Jane has one of the most confusing lives and it only gets more ridiculous. This show is hilarious and engaging, but more than that, it's a show where the female lead is probably one of the greatest role models a girl could have, something that's seriously lacking in today's media.

3. Almost Human: I am sad that this was cancelled. Urban and Ealy had amazing chemistry together; every car moment where they'd just sit and talk would be amazing. The show suffered because of Fox's stupid decision to air the episodes out of order, orginally the plot didn't flow at all, it felt really wierd. But once you go back and watch it in the right order, you realize that this show flows really well. It certainly did not deserve the axe, but it was expensive and Fox is full of idiots, so what can you do? Police Procedurals are normally something I hate because they're easy to make and watching one episode is like watching them all, but this was a very unique twist on it. Science fiction police procedurals are interesting because of the cool technology and interesting philosophical concepts, the writers had fun with it, especially that bitcoin guy.

2. Orphan Black: This show is shockingly amazing. The show suffers from the fact that it's not at all self-contained, throwing a lot of information at you in a single episode and expecting you to remember that for the next. It's easier to binge watch in that respect. It's absolutely thrilling though and hard to stop watching, once you start. Everyone has heard of the accolades of Tatiana Maslany, even Supernatural references it "I starred in a one-woman Orphan Black show last year." It's brilliant how vivid each clones personality is, despite all of them being played by a single actress. This season had twists left to right, and I came out with far more questions than answers. Kira, Sarah's daughter, is an astonishingly wonderful child actress and this was a great season for her, she's very believable (ten times better than Carl from The Walking Dead). That scene where her bone marrow is extracted was quite haunting and I think she played it quite perfectly.

1. Continuum: Continuum is my favorite show. This season was insane, because all of the plots that have been going on have now just completely been changed. The entire original timeline that they were in (this is a show about Time Travel and is 500 times better than the garbage that is Doctor Who) has been destroyed and all the characters have just accepted that they can't change anything. Everything that they've been fighting to change, what Liber8 has been trying to do and what Kiera was trying to stop has been rendered pointless. Why? Because a single person can be sent back in time, change something, and everything changes revoking all previous changes. So there's no point in time travelling at all. They're just stuck. It's probably one of most interesting philosophical postulates that's been posed in tv science fiction. Also the last episode has space marines, which is awesome. I hope this show isn't cancelled, otherwise I've got melons I need to send.

Most Favorite

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Regy Rusty posted:

1) Over the Garden Wall
It was kinda hard to decide if I really wanted to put this on top or not. I’ve never put a miniseries on my top 10 list and it really is only the length of a movie. But despite its length it really is the best thing I saw on TV this year. If you somehow haven’t seen it yet, go watch it immediately. It’s such a brilliantly told story about two boys getting lost in the woods. I feel like I can’t even do it justice writing about it. The last episode is one of the best episodes of television I’ve ever seen, and it was just 11 minutes long.

Ah, no. I loved this, and I should have put it at my top honestly, but I completely forgot about it. The animation is absolutely quaint and charming; I really like anything with Elijah Wood in it. The last episode was brilliant indeed. I'm contemplating changing my list now.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Toxx, you didn't add me. I thought I did it right.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

thexerox123 posted:

I think your numbers are backwards. 10 should be least favourite, 1 most favourite.

Ah, gotcha, I fixed that now.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

BSam posted:

He might have skipped you for your obviously trolling list.

Explain how any of my list is trolling. I didn't include Too Many Cooks, which I don't count. Just because you disagree with my opinion doesn't make it trolling, idiot.

Rocksicles posted:

No accounting for taste, that's why polls work they way they do. Let's try and keep it civil. Irish Joe is fair game though.

Shut the gently caress up Rocksicles, nobody cares what you think. :smuggo:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

You know guys if you can't keep your lists straight maybe you shouldn't be posting lists in the first place :colbert:

Ditto.

Also, I should be number one and not number 18, given that that is the correct order. Please fix this toxxupation.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Pillowpants posted:

First, it should be mentioned that my wife and I had a son in December 2013 and we instituted a "No TV before 2" rule for him.

Your son is only a year old and you've already had to create a rule restricting television for him? Jesus, he'll be morbidly obese and myopic by age three. Wait until he's three to let him watch tv, and then stick to a 30 minutes per day schedule for him. Allow him only to watch shows in foreign languages, so he picks up on them easier, childhood is the only time to learn other languages. The rest of his day, throw him into a fitness regimen that increases steadily in intensity. If your child speaks five languages and has a six pack by age ten, you have only me to thank.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Pillowpants posted:

I think you misunderstood. 2 does not mean 2 PM, if means 2 years old. We instituted that at the recommendation of our doctor before he was born as the AMA has started to recommend it.

We have music on all the time, but he's probably had less than 3 hours of television experience in the past year.

Oh thank god, I genuinely thought you meant 2 pm. Phew, I am glad you are not terrible parents.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

It's going to be Doctor Who

I hope it's Ascension.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

oh jay posted:

10. Peter Pan Live!
Why the gently caress not? I was entranced for the entire 3 hours, though not always entertained.

now this is trolling.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I had never heard of this show, but this clip really impressed me. I'm gonna check it out!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
^^^ Well, I suppose now is a good time as any.

Sophia posted:

Mozard In the Jungle

I've always wanted to see a giant lizard concertante.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Ravane posted:

I've always wanted to see a giant lizard concertante.

Actually, I would like to see an urban version of Mozart in the Jungle: "Wolfgang in da Hood".

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'd be completely okay with eating whatever Hannibal served me.

You know what I wouldn't eat? The Leftovers.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

I told you guys that Agents of Shield was good :colbert:

The problem is that I'm not going to wait 17 episodes for a show to get good.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

How close was You're The Worst to Rick and Morty? I ask this as a fan of both shows.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApfonQG1MD5YdElHWlBGT05BeUtlR2gxN3BucVVSaVE&usp=sharing#gid=1

63 - 56 =? Halp, I can't do math.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

uublog posted:

They also put Gotham 8th on their list of Best New Shows :ughh:

Oi! Master Gotham! Stop playing silly buggers! Get your bloody arse down off there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Ah, I totally forgot that Sundance's The Red Road aired in 2014. I should have added that because it was actually really good, just really short though.

• Locked thread