Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

"I tell you," he said, in an effort to remain loyal to his friends and to keep his end up, "that gold was only an afterthought with us. We came over hill and under hill, by wave and win, for Revenge. Surely, O Smaug the unassessably wealthy, you must realize that your success has made you some bitter enemies?"

Then Smaug really did laugh-a devastating sound which shook Bilbo to the floor, while far up in the tunnel the dwarves huddled together and imagined that the hobbit had come to a sudden and a nasty end.

"Revenge!" he snorted, and the light of his eyes lit the the hall from floor to ceiling like scarlet lightning.

"Revenge! The King under the Mountain is dead and where are his kin that dare seek revenge? Girion Lord of Dale is dead, and I have eaten his people like a wolf among sheep, and where are his sons' sons that dare approach me? I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. Then I was but young and tender. Now I am old and strong, strong strong. Thief in the Shadows!" he gloated.

"My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

The AUG CQC has by default a 16" barrel, with an extended flash hider in order to clear the CQC rail. The Black Friday sale gave me the opportunity to buy an 18" barrel for a really good price. I added a Ratworx thread adapter and a Surefire brake, along with a Surefire Ultra Scout. The result is the Suppressable Marksman AUG.

Or for short, the SMAUG.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

something something my something is AUGmented

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Legit AUG, daug

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

I didn't read any of that Bull Crap but you have really good chickens and that AUG is the only good looking one imho

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

That aug goes to 11.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Funny bullcrap, cool chicken, fantastic AUG.

As an aside, you ever read Monster Hunter International? It's urban fantasy written by a gun nut. Lots of fun. I got recommended it and another TFR regular seconded that recommendation.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Super cool rifle. Needs some more lights and stuff on it, though.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Gold plate that smAUG.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Lovely rifle!

Is it pronounced "SMAAAAOWG", or "SMOG"?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

Lovely rifle!

Is it pronounced "SMAAAAOWG", or "SMOG"?

I've always pronounced it "smawg."

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

birds is furry dinosaurs

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Are you from the future?

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

On a scale of 1 to 10 how satisfying was it to shoot a net gun at the Butcher of Bakersfield, Ben Richards?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

You are such a dork.

says the pokemon avatar. Neat AUG. I've gotta get one of those and a cqc foreend some day.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to PARTAYYY!

Fun Shoe

You rule, gun rules, thread rules.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

The Rat posted:

The result is the Suppressable Marksman AUG.

Or for short, the SMAUG.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

That's pretty neato.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I have no shame.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Your gun is cool, and let me be the first to use the right smilie.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Please tell me ratworx = a company owned by you, the rat, which makes fun parts

Also that AUG is straight up legit and I'll choke anyone who disagrees

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Karl would approve, but he's dead.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

DrakeriderCa posted:

Please tell me ratworx = a company owned by you, the rat, which makes fun parts

Also that AUG is straight up legit and I'll choke anyone who disagrees

https://www.ratworxusa.com/

I wish. If I had a hand in things, I'd have one of their AUG HTM trigger packs already, instead of having been on a waiting list for literally a year so far. (It's a trigger pack that basically fits an AR15 trigger into an AUG trigger pack, giving you an AR trigger pull in terms of feel/weight.)

And Karl is very much happy and alive thank you. (That's him on the right with the chickens.)

The Rat fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 9, 2014

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

BACKGROUND: Lots of gun forum echo chambers say that AKs and AUGs do not suppress well. Always thought it was nitpicking, so I did another sound test comparison.

HYPOTHESIS: There is no practical difference between weapons when shot suppressed.

TESTING PROCEDURE: Used a 14.5" barrel AR, a 14.5" barrel AK, and the 18" barrel SMAUG, all equipped with Surefire brakes. In that order, fired three rounds each unsuppressed (bare brake), then with the Surefire SOCOM 7.62 Mini mounted, then with the Surefire SOCOM 7.62 Full-size mounted. Then a last three rounds out of the SMAUG with the 7.62 Fullsize mounted and the gas regulator set to the off position.

RESULTS: http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v495/rupert42/Guns/AR-AK-AUG-SUPTEST.mp4
Had to watch the video a few times to really compare the sound, because it doesn't sound all that different. However, after a few reviews, the shots when fired unsuppressed had a deeper and more pronounced thump to them than the suppressed shots. The suppressed shots all sounded pretty much alike due to the supersonic crack of the round. From my perspective as the shooter, they all sounded alike except for when I shut the gas regulator off on the SMAUG. That made a very noticeable reduction in sound, to the point where I felt comfortable popping a few rounds off without my earmuffs on.

CONCLUSION: There is probably some difference if one were to use actual sound measuring devices, but for practical purposes, I don't think there is any noticeable difference between supersonic rounds.

Other general observations on the SMAUG:
Grouped around 4" with 55gr and 62gr.
Grouped around 2" with 75gr Prvi Match.
Only malf was when I had it suppressed and set the gas regulator to the adverse position. Brass was pulled out of the chamber but didn't fully eject. Guessing it was just overgassed. No malfs other than that.
Recoil was already pretty smooth and manageable with the AUG. The Surefire brake makes it even more so, although there is still some bounce in the prone mag-monopod position since the mag is further to the rear than an AR.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The one upgrade I'd still like is an HTM trigger pack with an ALG ACT trigger installed in it. But who knows if that will ever happen.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Sample size of one, but I put my Gemtech HVT on my (since sold) AK and while I wasn't terribly disappointed with the suppression, it hosed up the barrel harmonics or something and made the group size about double what it was unsuppressed.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Jeez dude you can haul rear end

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Craptacular posted:

Sample size of one, but I put my Gemtech HVT on my (since sold) AK and while I wasn't terribly disappointed with the suppression, it hosed up the barrel harmonics or something and made the group size about double what it was unsuppressed.

I haven't noticed any accuracy difference with any of my suppressed guns. Just a little POI shift, but since it's with Surefire cans, it's repeatable. The POI shift on the AUG was actually the least I've seen out of any of my guns. Maybe half a mil down at 100m, that was it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

When is the bullpup getting painted?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

This one, like the warrior-poet 2pac, is going to stay black and never get to lay back.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DJExile posted:

Jeez dude you can haul rear end

I'm more impressed he ran a 100 yd dash and then immediately drilled three into a 6"x12" target.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Rat posted:

This one, like the warrior-poet 2pac, is going to stay black and never get to lay back.

I like you. A lot. These things you post are lovely.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm more impressed he ran a 100 yd dash and then immediately drilled three into a 6"x12" target.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The sound really wasn't what I expected, but then again I've never heard it before.

The Rat's voice.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The Rat posted:

And Karl is very much happy and alive thank you. (That's him on the right with the chickens.)

An Asian's dog?
\

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Oh jesus that's funnier than it should be by a lot.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx

Fun Shoe

drat you ran away from that camera like it was on fire.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What's the Off setting for the AUG gas system? I plan on sticking my Saker 762 on it occasionally when I get it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You have to flip the gas regulator 180 degrees to the last locking position.

In thread-relevant news, I used this gat at today's 3gun match and did terrible. Mostly on account of a huge brain fart on stage 3 in my case. Was also having trouble hitting some of the smaller/further targets. 10" plate at 289y, etc. Had four stovepipes as well, which has never happened before. I assume it's a symptom of being overgassed.

Also afterwards, my hand looked like I had taken the ring to Mount Doom and jerked off a Nazgul along the way.

That's much less black than it was initially; a lot rubbed off by having my hands in my pockets and whatnot. No burn or anything, just a lot of carbon.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Mad Dragon posted:

An Asian's dog?
\

holy poo poo

holy poo poo

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Necropost, still relevant to the thread!

So, I got a couple spare gas regulators to experiment with. I drilled out the adverse setting on one of them with a .107 drill bit. (An Aussie military guy on Lightfighter provided the measurement. Apparently now military AUGs don't have an adverse setting, they have a suppressed setting with a .101 hole.)

Went out today to test it out. Bad news was, I forgot my targets. Good news, a patrol of infiltrating Canadian snowmen was successfully intercepted and neutralized.

I kept it on the suppressed (.107) setting the whole time. First 10 rounds I did unsuppressed, and was surprised to find that it was still cycling just fine, with the brass ejecting about 5 feet away at the 3 o'clock position.

Then I put the suppressor on and ran it fast and hot. Brass ejection was around the 2 o'clock position and I had zero malfunctions out of the five mags that I ran.

My hand afterward, again with the carbon venting out of the back of the suppressor:

So in summation, looks like it's working fine now!

The Rat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Awesome thread!

I take it you really don't like to wear a glove or gloves while shooting, or do you just like to dirty yo hands?

• Locked thread