Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AlmightyPants posted:

As someone who knows almost nothing about UFC, do they let their fighters cut promos? I don't care if Punk wins or loses, I just want him to have an open mic.

Yeah, on Countdown shows, press conferences and after the fight if you win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bobtista posted:

He's going to get his face punched clean off the front of his skull by a chubby redneck who's mad at him for quitting WWE.

So you are saying they won't give Hendricks an immediate rematch against Lawler?

Also, now that UFC has turned out to have been PRIDE all along, wouldn't it make the most sense to try and sacrifice Sakuraba once more?

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 7, 2014

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Sanguinia posted:

When I think about everything Punk is doing since he left...being an anime

this is not something a grownup strives for hth

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

AlmightyPants posted:

As someone who knows almost nothing about UFC, do they let their fighters cut promos? I don't care if Punk wins or loses, I just want him to have an open mic.
Yup

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
At least he can't do any worse than Dave "AH! My leg, thank God Guardians of the Galaxy has a sequel!" Bautista.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Mob posted:

this is not something a grownup strives for hth

http://youtu.be/bglGKoFHBLs?t=3m3s

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Justin Godscock posted:

At least he can't do any worse than Dave "AH! My leg, thank God Guardians of the Galaxy has a sequel!" Bautista.

He could lose to a much less experienced fighter.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Justin Godscock posted:

I dunno, he could die in the octagon due to unforeseen problems caused by already beating the poo poo out of his body with years of yardtarding and indie bumps before deciding to try out getting punched in the face for realsies.

He probably won't but still.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

oatgan posted:

people keep saying CM PUNK WORKS FOR MARVEL NOW as if he's been given a book to work on full time but he's just writing a 10 page backup story in someone else's comic like a whole bunch of other famous comic fans before him

he's more of an independent contractor

I think they'll let him do whatever the hell he wants because he's CM Punk and they get to put his name on the cover.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

wait, when did CM Punk become an anime?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Haven't caught up on my timeline but seemingly no one under WWE contract has said a peep?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

And he was over 40

Wasn't the whole point of that to troll Toney though? I'm sure they'll try to make Punk look good as best they can

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

I'm pretty sure UFC is well within their right to put a guy who's going to draw people in on their posters, and indeed, quite loving retarded if they don't.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I know nothing about wrestling but the name CM Punk rings a bell. He is apparently friends with my main man Chael Sonnen (see AV) and this means I will like him. Good for him if he can parlay his poo poo into other ventures. God drat I hope he knows how to fight though.

Here is a video of Chael Sonnen for you people who do not know him -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpT2W4zRzzM

Here is a video of what happens when you don't know how to fight (a real live navy seal!) and step into a real fight - (Saunders vs. Wolff) - Please, everyone, watch this and think about this Punk fellow and what could happen.

http://www.ufc.com/media/Saunders-vs-Wolff-UFN-16-Prelim-Fight

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

rovert posted:

Haven't caught up on my timeline but seemingly no one under WWE contract has said a peep?
Rey did.
http://instagram.com/p/wSm4mvJM43/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just watched the Punk press conference.

"Has anybody from WWE reacted?"
"Well... my wife has. :shobon:"

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
CM Punk I believe could legit beat the ever loving poo poo out of a good 99% of the WWE roster.

He goes into the ring with MMA guys he is going to get loving crushed.

Now if it was Seth Rollins going into UFC? I mean, yeah, he could have his leg broken and he'd still keep fighting, the man is invincible.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I don't think he's committing suicide but I do think it's pretty fuckin' weird given that the dude is more than rich enough to retire and cited wanting his health as a reason for getting out. I'm not saying he's gonna get a severe traumatic brain injury or anything but going from "I'm enjoying retirement!" to an eight fight UFC deal in like a week is slightly odd to me.

As stated by other people, it turns out the last two Art of Wrestling things were excellent stealth promotion for his signing - he didn't say "How's retirement? Oh, I'm signing up with UFC in a week" for good reasons. Otherwise, I can easily believe that not having to constantly wrestle and be on the road all the time makes Punk feel comparatively invincible (even though he isn't).

I hope he enjoys himself doing MMA, he likely won't be champ, but I hope he has a great time.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Dangersim posted:

have you heard of pride

it can get much worse

reminder that PRIDE once decided that a good matchup would be Alberto Del Rio vs loving Crocop

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x113u0v_mirko-crocop-vs-alberto-del-rio-dos-caras-jr-con-promo-completo_sport

it goes about as well as can be expected

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
My favorite response was from Nate Diaz.

E: https://twitter.com/NateDiaz209/status/541436933948178433

Perdido fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 7, 2014

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I wish Punk luck in this but with the amount of complaining he's done about taking bumps in the WWE. I'm surprised he's willing to step into the octagon and actually fight for real.

I guess nobody will know how good he is untill he actually fights but I hope its not a white wash like the video of that Navy Seal which was linked earlier

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Again, Punk's interview made it sound more like being injured wasn't the problem, it was being injured constantly without breaks or proper treatment. Having 6-12 months to recover and train between matches must seem like a dream to someone coming off the pro wrestling circuit.

That said as both a lapsed MMA and lapsed wrestling fan I am looking forward to watching CM Punk getting kicked in the dick

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, he might end up injured, but he'll have time to rehab injuries properly in MMA, which is miles better than wrestling, where he's expected to be there and taking bumps every week.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

VoLaTiLe posted:

I wish Punk luck in this but with the amount of complaining he's done about taking bumps in the WWE. I'm surprised he's willing to step into the octagon and actually fight for real.

I guess nobody will know how good he is untill he actually fights but I hope its not a white wash like the video of that Navy Seal which was linked earlier

Punk was more annoyed with the fact he wasn't given time to recuperate and was constantly being asked to come back early...and then wasn't being properly compensated for it.

He's going to have nowhere near the schedule that he had in WWE, is going to have actual loving doctors that won't let him get in the ring if he isn't 100%, and he's going to get paid handsomely to get his poo poo pushed in.

I'm expecting Punk to lose in UFC. I'm at about the same skill level as Punk is with BJJ and it's laughable that he thinks he's going to be able to run with these guys. Like, does he really think he's going to be able to hang against guys who have training for this all of their life?

I honestly thought we might have seen him try a Metamoris competition or something, not straight up UFC.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

We were so close to people finally being able to stop debating on whether or not CM Punk was ever coming back

So close

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Mr. Carlisle posted:

We were so close to people finally being able to stop debating on whether or not CM Punk was ever coming back

So close

We were close to TNA dying too. It has been a terrible few weeks.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

rovert posted:

We were close to TNA dying too. It has been a terrible few weeks.

At least we'll be able to watch them both get beaten into varying degrees of sadness

More than they have been already that is

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

So close

This is Punk being an eccentric millionaire. He's not coming back.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Perdido posted:

This is Punk being an eccentric millionaire. He's not coming back.

My point was that people were finally going to stop talking about him when he said he was never coming back to wrestling and now welp

At least we've got at least one funny fight to look forward to before he goes away

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

E: ^^ Ooh, gotcha. Sorry, just got home from work and it's 530AM, haha.

I'm so loving excited for this, and the fact that Dana White has said there's plans for a UFC in my hometown next year means there's a great chance I'll be able to see Punk most likely get his head kicked clean off.

If Punk manages to secure a win right off the bat, awesome. This is going to be fantastic.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah it's gonna be funny either way

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
can anyone tell me who the gently caress is cm punk

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

he's the husband of a famous WWE wrestler. also he writes comic books.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
He is also a quieter

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Best of luck to him if they set him up against anyone half competent tho.... Oh Boy

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
like, how heavy is he, what does he look like, what relevant experience does he have?

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

like, how heavy is he, what does he look like, what relevant experience does he have?

The answer to all three is he's a skinnyfat rear end

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Triticum Guzzler posted:

he's an extremely disciplined athlete craving to compete with the very best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69xPskib1lE

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

He's around 200lbs right now, but he apparently wants to get down to around 180 or even 170.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I also need to know if he should be hated or loved. What are his feelings on Mark Hunt?

• Locked thread